fuelledbypassion

Complete Legend
Reaction score
2-3-2-3 'Tres Oppugno'

Firstly, I haven't ever uploaded a tactic before and wouldn't normally even entertain the idea, but I appear to have stumbled upon a very good one. It is a formation that is rarely seen in these parts, despite it's obvious strengths.

Defensively, the tactic seems to be very strong. It comprises a high defensive line, quick pressing and hard tackling, with emphasis on unsettling the opposition and winning the ball back in an advanced position.

Once the ball is won, the trio of attacking players come to life, with supportive passing from the central midfield duo and the wingbacks. The emphasis is on quick, counter attacking rather than ball retention, exploiting defensive gaps and creating clear scoring opportunities. The scoring ratio is far from many of the attacking tactics around at the moment, but the defensive rewards of the tactic are generally more evident.

Formation & Roles:

The formation is a 2-3-2-3. consisting of the following players in the respective roles:
[I have selected the five priority attributes, red=technical, blue=mental & green=physical]

Sweeper 'Keeper (support) - reflexes, positioning, concentration, decisions & agility
__
Central Defender (defend) - heading, marking, positioning, concentration & decisions
Central Defender (defend) - marking, positioning, concentration, decisions & acceleration
__
Wing Back (attack) - marking, tackling, decisions, acceleration & stamina
Defensive Midfielder (defend) - marking, tackling, positioning, concentration & stamina
Wing Back (attack) - marking, tackling, decisions, acceleration & stamina
__
Box to Box Midfielder (support) - passing, marking, workrate, decisions & stamina
Advanced Playmaker (support) - passing, first touch, technique, creativity & decisions
__
Inside Forward (attack) - crossing, finishing, off the ball, acceleration & pace
Poacher (attack) - finishing, anticipation, composure, acceleration & pace
Winger (support) - dribbling, passing, off the ball, acceleration & pace

As you can see from this, the defenders generally need to be strong mentally, and the attackers rely on their physical speed and technical abilities.

Testing:

I created this tactic during one of my Dortmund saves, and have since tested it with Arsenal and Fiorentina. I felt that these teams would be well suited to the tactic and particularly the formation. It is important that you have the right players for the tactic to work. The results, and most notably the number of clean sheets were very pleasing.

Dortmund:

Arsenal:

View attachment 166288 View attachment 166287View attachment 166289View attachment 166291

Fiorentina:

View attachment 166638 View attachment 166292View attachment 166639View attachment 166641

Malaga:

View attachment 168158 View attachment 168157View attachment 168159View attachment 168160

Other Info:

Pitch Size: I have had success with both, but a larger pitch will create more gaps in the opposing defence that your attackers will exploit.

Opposition Instructions: none

Match Preperation: I generally have it set on defensive positioning, but will often change to attacking movement if my team appear to be struggling for goals.

Touchline Shouts: I will occassionally use shouts, but only if there is a noticable problem with my team's performance. If they are wastful with too many long shots then use 'work ball into box'. The tactic generally allows the opposition to control possession, but if it seems too low or the opposition appear to be dominating and creating chances, use 'retain possession' & 'pass to feet'. If the opposition go down to ten men, use 'retain possession' & 'play wider' to stretch the play. If in need of a goal, 'look for overlap' can sometimes work well.

Team Talks: Advisable to look into Wolfsongs guide, it has helped me a great deal.

Set Pieces: Both defending and attacking are set to default. I have noticed that one of the central defenders finds himself on the scoresheet fairly regularly from corners. Defensively, corners seemed to be a problem when testing with Arsenal, but not at all with Dortmund. It really depends on your squad's general height and aerial ability, which is something to consider when purchasing new players.

Bookings: If any central midfielder or any aggressive player receives a caution, it may be necessary to change their tackling to 'easy'. It is generally trial and error, but I found that Miguel Medina (poacher) and Cesc Fabregas (Arsenal) were a little over-zealous with their tackling and occassionally saw red if I didn't resrict their tackling. If any player is sent off, sub the centre forward and replace the sent off player - seems to work really well with the two wide players up top.

Patch: I have only tested this on 11.2 patch so I don't know how effective it is on the latest patch!

Link:2-3-2-3 'Tres Oppugno' - Downloads - FM-Base - Football Manager 2011 Tactics, Wonderkids, Updates & Cheats

I hope some of you can try this tactic and find it useful, at least as a base to work from. Good luck and any feedback would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Looks tres awesome, a strange formation but you can see why it would work well, could you put up a screen of league table (if you can) so i can see how many goals you conceded :)

Looks tres awesome, a strange formation but you can see why it would work well, could you put up a screen of league table (if you can) so i can see how many goals you conceded :)

Well, I haven't finished either of the seasons, as I wanted to test it with other teams. Once I have finished the Fiorentina testing, I will finish the Dortmund season and post a screenshot. I have currently conceded 4 league goals in the first 15 games (scoring 26).

Well, I haven't finished either of the seasons, as I wanted to test it with other teams. Once I have finished the Fiorentina testing, I will finish the Dortmund season and post a screenshot. I have currently conceded 4 league goals in the first 15 games (scoring 26).

Holy Moly, only 4 Goals, looks great

Good formation mate! But Birmingham in the champinos league they must have improved alot!?

Updated with Fiorentina testing. I was very surprised to have not lost with them during the opening 20 or so fixtures! Has anyone tried this tactic on 11.3 patch yet?

---------- Post added 29/04/2011 at 03:23 PM ---------- Previous post was 27/04/2011 at 05:41 PM ----------

I'm thinking of testing this with a weaker team, has anyone got any suggestions? Maybe a mid to low table Spanish team?

Some of those screenshots had x2/3 more clear cut chances than you scored. Ouch. I'll give it a go though.

Some of those screenshots had x2/3 more clear cut chances than you scored. Ouch. I'll give it a go though.

Well, then it is up to players, they have poor finishing/composure or may have conficting PPMs etc.

Tested with Malaga and have updated OP. I was predicted 17th, and was sitting in 10th after the first 20 games. I really struggled defensively, and in hindsight should have invested in a 'keeper and a good centre back, but fortunately Christian Benitez carried the team with 13 goals in 17 games - I highly recommend him for the poacher role.

I have found that the key players for this tactic to work are the goalkeeper, centre backs, defensive midfielder and the advanced playmaker. It is difficult to find a decent playmaker when you are a lower team, but a good poacher can cover this.

Ahhh, I'm really happy to see this, formation I'm searching for, I'll test with Arsenal

---------- Post added 05/05/2011 at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was 03/05/2011 at 08:56 AM ----------

I just played a match with Arsenal (I don't have much time), and I beat Bolton 5-0

My line-up:
Arshavin--Dzeko--Nasri
---Ramsey-Wilshere---
Clichy-Fabregas-Sagna
-Vermaelen-Koscielny-
-------Almunia-------

will give it a go with may arsenal save. plus managing england ;D

This tactic doesn't work with Germany since Ozil is AML not AMR
EDIT: Why Nasri as winger score 2 goals and Arshavin as inside forward didn't score

Last edited:
This tactic doesn't work with Germany since Ozil is AML not AMR
EDIT: Why Nasri as winger score 2 goals and Arshavin as inside forward didn't score

Can't you retrain Ozil as a AMR? Arshavin didn't really perform as well as I exected when I tested with Arsenal. I found Van Persie played well as the AML, and Chamakh was quality as ST. What patch are you using?

I say "with Germany" means that I can't train players, I use 11.1 patch

I say "with Germany" means that I can't train players, I use 11.1 patch

Oh yeah, of course! I found that Walcott scored fairly often as the AMR as well. Yet with my Dortmund save, Podolski bangs them in as the AML, and Marin doesn't score many but creates a lot as AMR. You could try playing those two for the national side? I'm sure Ozil would do well as the AML also

Hmm... Thanks :D

---------- Post added 08/05/2011 at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was 06/05/2011 at 11:48 AM ----------

So what players should I choose? I'm confused (Germany)

Last edited:
I'd personally play:

Podolski ----- Gomez ----- Marin
--- Khedira - Schweinsteiger ---
Schmelzer ---- Rolfes ---- Lahm
------ Hummels - Howedes ------
-------------- Neuer --------------

or replace Gomez with Podolski and play Ozil as the left sided striker.
Muller & Reus are like for like replacemens for Marin.
Kroos is a good replacement for Schweinsteiger.

EDIT: Just remembered I had to retrain Marin to play on the right! Perhaps play Muller on the right, and make sure it is ticked so that he cuts inside often. To be honest, I think you can easily tweak the player roles for the front 3, without altering the balance of the team.

Last edited: