2 Islands / 5 Nations (A UK & Ireland Journeyman Save)

mkempdillon

Reaction score

View attachment 395431

Overview:

I've attempted a few stories before but was never really in an FM mood when I started them, but loving the current game on 14.3 (one of few it would seem) so decided I'd really get into a story. I've decided to do a journeyman game, but rather than selecting countries from across the globe I've selected all of the leagues in UK&Ireland. I've always enjoyed British and Irish football, and this will offer a new different challenge in a journeyman game.

Aims

My most basic aim is to win the top division of all 5 countries. Apart from that I'd like to win the Champions League with a club from outside England. This will most likely prove to be with a Scottish side but who knows? I'd also like to improve the stature of all of the International sides but that's a pipe dream.

Note: Somewhat oddly the Irish League is a summer league compared to a winter one like the most of Europe (other than those with extreme weather)

And so the job hunt begins!

Last edited:
I will follow

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Finn Harps - Welcome to Football

View attachment 394868

View attachment 395419

Finn Harps Hire Kemp-Dillon

Well that didn't take long! Within just a week of game time I've got my first job, with Irish side Finn Harps in the second tier. Accepting a job in Ireland first could help boost my reputation quickly, with only two divisions and a rating higher than the Welsh Premier and NI Premier I could be in European football within only two-three seasons. As noted in the intro the Irish football system is a summer season, so I have accepted the job half way through the season. Before I could even sort anything out however I had a match, after just hours in charge I had to manage a team who I didn't know, and who didn't know me!

View attachment 395413

Wow! What a great start. Not what I had expected but a perfect welcome to football management!

Here is how the table looked after that game, I'm just outside the playoff positions and believe I can get one of them by the end of the season.

View attachment 395416

Last edited:
Good start, looking good. What tactic are your using?

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

Club Overview

SQUAD

I seem to have inherited an extremely small squad, however the players I do have seem to suit the narrow formations that I play. The transfer windows opens in a few days and I hope to get some loan signings in over the coming weeks to bulk my team out a bit. Can't imagine I'll change the team too much early on. It seems to be good enough for this league and the wage budget is maxed out so there's no really chance of much of an overhaul.

View attachment 395412

TACTICS

View attachment 554343

As noted above, the formations I will use will all be narrow ones, trying to pass my way up and the pitch and exploiting the numerous slow defenders in this division. I'll be using an edited version of TFF Cross, TFFCrossv4 and Magic Rectangle. I very rarely change tactic or system over FMs so I can't imagine it will change much at all. Over the previous years I've always been a huge fan 4-2-3-1 but on this years game, and especially the 14.3 ME update, narrow central formations seem to be so successful. My edited version of Cross has helped me hugely on one of my other games, where with a poor Italian C1 side I'm currently on a 24 game unbeaten streak and hope it can just as well with this side!

View attachment 395409

Edited - Magic Rectangle - Crossv4

In this division and level of football a half decent striker should be scoring plenty due to the awful defenders they will play and hopefully this will exploit that.

STAFF

View attachment 395408

I won't be changing anything for now off-field. Like with the players this will all be reviewed at the end of the current season, as I believe what I currently have will suffice and get us promotion.

Last edited:
I will follow

Cheers! Hoping for a promotion straight away, and perhaps a move to a bigger club. Find with JM games it's easy to move clubs as early as possible to make jumps up divisions. I'm never going to win anything with this club so to get a decent squad and build my reputation will do me!

Last edited:
July and Early August - Transfers and Tribulations Games 15-21

View attachment 394867

TRANSFER UPDATE

As expected and suggested above, very little happened in the transfer window. We brought in two more midfielders on loan until the end of the season, but neither of them will go into the starting line up, it was more about making sure I could have a full subs bench for games!

Nobody departed the club either but there was quite a bit of interest in one of my players McHugh, but I don't need to sell so everyone shall be staying! Also my first choice left back Ciaran Coll rejected my offer of a new contract and will leave for Premiership side U.C.D at the end of the season. Annoying as one of few players with any class and really wanted to keep him.

View attachment 395405

Coll - Joining U.C.D

FIXTURE OVERVIEW

View attachment 395404

A great seven games!

FINN HARPS 5 - 1 MERVUE UNITED

As covered in the post above my first game in charge was a great victory! Awful opposition but can only beat what is put infront of you.

COBH RAMBLERS 2 - 5 FINN HARPS

Another high scoring victory here! My centre back managed to score twice as well highlighting the danger we can pose from set pieces. They actually pulled it back from 3-0 to 3-2 until the last five minutes where we managed to score twice more and give a score line more reflective of our performance! An expected victory.

FINN HARPS 3 - 0 SALTHILL

The gulf in class between sides in this league is huge. Restricted bottom of the table Salthill to a single shot. Comfortable 3-0, just need to keep this form against the other decent teams and promotions a high possibility.

LONGFORD TOWN 0 - 0 FINN HARPS

The first of three huge games as I play the sides above me and in the promotion / play off places. Should have continued my winning streak but a good point away from home.

ATHLONE TOWN 1 - 1 FINN HARPS

Another close game and another point. Went 1-0 up but gifted an equaliser away. Needed to win really to close the gap on the teams above me as they simply don't lose to the other teams.

WATERFORD UNITED 1 - 4 FINN HARPS

The final of the three difficult away games and what a win! Bittersweet however as my striker McHugh who scored twice in the game, and 6 times in my 6 games is out for a month. He will miss 4 of the final 8 games.

FINN HARPS 2 - 1 WEXFORD YOUTHS

Game against 5th in the table and the side probably most similar in ability to my own, and the first without McHugh, it showed. 2-1 flattered them as we missed so many chances but got the 3 vital points.

View attachment 395401

Up into the magical play off position!

PLAYER OF THE UPDATE

Who else but McHugh? Man has been lethal for me since the start.

View attachment 395379

View attachment 395378

UPDATE SUMMARY

So what a period of games as I'm unbeaten in my first 7 games, and in doing so facing the rest of the league. I've jumped up into third and I am now even thinking I could win this league! Still think missing McHugh will be a huge blow but the midfield keeps scoring so should get by! Tactic is working really well and I'm enjoying this league so far, if only I been here from the start I'd probably be champions by now!

Last edited:
Nice! I've been to Irish football and have been wanting to try a team there. I'll be following.

Nice! I've been to Irish football and have been wanting to try a team there. I'll be following.

Thanks. Amazed by the start. Think it would be more fun if a winter league like most of Europe, would help the league progress more and help with Europe.

Yes, I think it will be strange to lose players during the transfer window while you are in the middle of your season. Also, the knockout rounds of European competition will be during your offseason, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

End of Season Run - Games 22-28

View attachment 395372

Would Finn Park see glory?

FIXTURE OVERVIEW

View attachment 395377

CHAMPIONS! Of course it does!

MERVUE UNITED 1 - 3 FINN HARPS

Not quite as good as last time but a great win. Carel Tiofack a youngster replaced McHugh and bagged two.

FINN HARPS 3 - 1 COBH RAMBLERS

Another 3-1. Another Tiofack goal. Another 3 points.

View attachment 395369

Cobh defenders look on as the Harps take the lead!

FINN HARPS 1 - 0 LONGFORD TOWN

What a HUGE win! Just to make it better McHugh returns from injury for a sub cameo!

SALTHILL 1 - 3 FINN HARPS

Another easy win against the amateur side. Was close for an hour.

FINN HARPS 3 - 2 ATHLONE TOWN

Incredible game! So many twists and turns as we win 3-2. McHugh back to scoring ways, Tiofack bags and so does unsung hero McCarron. The young striker has bagged 10 goals despite being a squad player.

WEXFORD YOUTHS 0 - 1 FINN HARPS

Too close for comfort as we miss a pen but the 1-0 win is all we needed! We have won the league!

FINN HARPS 3 - 1 WATERFORD UNITED

Record crowd for last day of season as we show off the trophy and beat a side once 10 points ahead of us. This marks my 14th game in game and I'm still unbeaten! Amazing from all the squad as we not only close the gap but easily won the league!

View attachment 395376View attachment 395375View attachment 395374

I think they like me?

View attachment 395373

Final Standings

PLAYER OF THE UPDATE:

It's young Carel Tiofack. Was on the bench until McHugh got injured and never looked back as he scored loads. Ignore low form Av. Rating he was great!

View attachment 395371
View attachment 395370

UPDATE SUMMARY:

Well that was insane! 7 games, 7 wins. Bossed this league and confident I could have gone all 28 unbeaten if I was here from the start. I won 2/3 of the Manager of the Month awards and most weeks I had 5 players in team of the week. It's not down to me, or the quality of players, but simply the tactic. Short simple passing through the middle caused havoc as most teams defense were awful. I'm really happy it worked so well and as predicted I scored lots of goals! I didn't put the scorers down but they came from all of the strikers and 3 main midfielders, as everyone chipped in.

Career wise I'm chuffed as this is a very early rise. I'm already being noted for other roles in the press but I've tied down a new contract for now with Finn Harps. It's a long break until the season starts again in March so think I might leave and head elsewhere, or see if a job comes up with a different Irish Prem team and wait it out. Side note U.C.D got relegated so Coll who decided to leave us for the dizzy heights of the Prem will actually be playing below the rest of his former team mates. Idiot.

I won't do a full season review as it was only half a season, and I'm at a club I don't really care about! But any questions just ask away!

Last edited:
Pre-Season Part One Global Update and Preview

View attachment 394869

CAREER UPDATE

So within just a six months I find myself in one of the top divisions, and on rating the third best of the five. However I think it's fairly safe to say I won't be winning the league just yet, and I think the bookies agree with me there.

View attachment 395171

I think the odds are a tad extreme, indeed Longford have been given 10-1 and we finished above them last year quite easily. It's difficult to remotely compete with a lot of the sides in this division, as more of them turn professional and that's not happening at the Harps anytime soon! To highlight the sheer gulf in class below is a comparison of my teams best CM, against the league's best CM:

View attachment 395170 View attachment 395169

Just a small gap...

Even though I'm now in the Irish Premiership so many locally based players don't even want to think about joining me so player recruitment has been hard so far but it's a 3 month transfer window so ages to go yet. I'll cover transfers later, but there's a lot of change as I released around 10 reserve and fringe players.

Another thing which amazed me as I looked around at the opposition I'd be facing was the quality of Shamrocks Manager. Why is he managing in Ireland and not one of Europe's top leagues?!?!?

View attachment 395162

THE OTHER LEAGUES

As my players rest over the winter period the other four leagues get into full flow. The major surprise sees Spurs running away with the BPL, but the other three leagues see the pre-season favourites dominating their respective divisions.

View attachment 395168View attachment 395167View attachment 395166View attachment 395165

Whilst a career in the BPL is a long way off yet, a move to English football has been heavily touted. In the Skrill Premier, Cambridge United and Kiddiminster Harriers both sacked their managers. These are sides with good potential and I applied for both. However that new contract I signed backfired.

View attachment 395163

At first I was disappointed and considered resigning in order to open myself up for a new job, but with hindsight I'm quite chuffed. Moving from the 1st tier of Ireland to England's 5th would have moved me away from my goals. If I start this season well and one of the better clubs such as Derry etc. sack their manager I'd rather move there and quickly win the league.

Last edited:
Pre-Season Part Two Transfers and Friendlies

View attachment 394866
TRANSFER UPDATE

Out:

In total a huge 23 players left my club. Whilst around 10 of these were in the first team the majority were in my B and Youth teams and were pretty awful. Nobody of note left and I still have McHugh so that is all that mattered!

In:

9 new players joined the Harps, all of them on free transfers, either unattached or poached as they were on amateur contracts. None of them are exactly world beaters so here are just pictures of a few I think could do the best job this season.

View attachment 395160

Despite my coaching staff not rating him I think Tierney will work very well with McHugh. His decent composure should help make up for his low finishing.

View attachment 395158

Cawley will initially be starting as a sub, or for home games only but with those technical stats he should fit perfectly into my short passing game and create lots of CCC's!

View attachment 395156

Finally Vickers is one with a great future. Good enough to start now and only 23, I'm hoping to see drastic improvements on his stats this season.

This leaves my squad as the following:

View attachment 395150

A bit better than what I had last season but still going to struggle I think!

Staff Update:

My board is barely allocating any money to staff wages. As such whilst I've brought in two coaches in Naybet and Bogarde this is mainly just because I liked them both as Cult players more than anything. Training stars are only 1.5 or 2 so this could hinder players like Vickers who havent fulfilled their potential.

Major Transfers:

Here are the main movements from Europe and then the Premier League and SPL in detail.

View attachment 395147 View attachment 395146 View attachment 395145

PRE-SEASON FRIENDLIES

Due to the vast amount of new players, and the long break I organised a lot of games against poor opposition to build moral and knowledge of our tactics. Assistant controlled them as it's never been something I really care about. Only got one short term injury so all seems fine to me.

View attachment 395144

Less than a week to go until the season kicks off!

Last edited:
February - Early April - Games 1-7

View attachment 394870

FIXTURE OVERVIEW:

An awful start to the league this season! Haven't played too badly but just so class at all. Not even McHugh is scoring for me, it's been that bad!

View attachment 395091

Terrible Results!

FINN HARPS 1 - 4 SLIGO ROVERS
(Kelly)

Not the start to the season I wanted. Had same amount of chances just didn't finish them!

SHAMROCK ROVERS
1 - 2 FINN HARPS
(McHugh, Mailey)

Amazing win away at Shamrock. Edged a very close game.

FINN HARPS 1 - 1 LONGFORD TOWN
(Cawley)

Beat these lot easily before but only a late goal gets me a point this time around.

DROGHEDA UNITED 2
- 0 FINN HARPS

They score their only two efforts on target. A poor game.

LIMERICK FC 2 - 0 FINN HARPS

Same story this time around. Keep missing our chances.

FINN HARPS 1 - 3 DERRY CITY
(Tiofack)

Simply out classed by a very good side.

BOHEMIANS 2 - 2 FINN HARPS
(Cawley, McCarron)

2 late goals secured us a point, better than nothing.

TABLE:

View attachment 395078

Only a 1/4 of the way through the season but this needs to pick up! Will probably need about 30 points to stay up at the end of the season, so need some wins quickly.

PLAYER OF THE UPDATE:

It's Alan Cawley. One of the only players who has done well, he's got 2 vital goals for us.

View attachment 395076

View attachment 395072

CAREER UPDATE:

Hoping this form picks up soon! Not enjoying life at Finn Harps at all, and this isn't helping. Think promotion and then survival is all that this club could ever achieve, so I've been looking around. Bohemians sacked their manager and after I said I wanted the job, I not only got laughed away but the fans called for my head and I almost got sacked! Still think I should stay in Ireland until the end of the season at least.

View attachment 395070

Fans have been protesting at me and my signings!

Last edited:
April & May - Games 8-14

View attachment 394871

FIXTURE OVERVIEW

View attachment 395067

How are we getting worse?

FINN HARPS 1 - 2 SHELBOURNE
(Cawley)

Losing to the worst team in the league. Sums up our season.

DUNDALK 1 - 0 FINN HARPS

Another loss.

FINN HARPS 0 - 0 ST.PATS

A vital point picked up. Awful game though.

CORK CITY 3 - 0 FINN HARPS

Outclassed from the start. Nothing we could do.

FINN HARPS 2 - 2 SHAMROCK
(Cowan, McCarron)

Another point against Shamrock. These fixtures might just keep us up!

SLIGO ROVERS 1 - 1 FINN HARPS
(Cawley)

Another goal from Cawley whose been a decent signing and another important point.

LONGFORD TOWN 2 - 0 FINN HARPS

Just as I think we're making progress we lose to Longford! Last season Longford hardly put up any resistance yet now I've only got 1 point from 2 games against them.

TABLE:

View attachment 395066

This isn't getting any better at all. Thankfully it looks as though Shelbourne are even worse than us and will hopefully stay bottom all season. However we haven't won in 12 games.

PLAYER OF THE UPDATE:

None. They have all been ****.

Will I still be at Finn Harps next update?

Last edited:
No longer playing the Harp

View attachment 394872

Kemp-Dillon Leaves Finn Harps

View attachment 395044

Given the poor run of form, and relegation looking more and more possible I decided to leave Finn Harps whilst my reputation was still strong. I leave the club that I brought early success to after just under a year. Whilst this season has been awful I'd like to think I have built a reputation and will be able to find a decent job soon enough!

Well this is what I had hoped...

JOB HUNT:

Having been in the top division in Ireland I think that I was aiming too high with my job hunts, turning down two interviews, a job with UCD back in the Irish second tier and then being rejected by East Fife after my interview.

View attachment 395042 View attachment 395041 View attachment 395040 View attachment 395039

It's now Summer and club's pre-season start soon. I need to find myself a club.

Last edited:
Summer 2014 Summer Update:

View attachment 394879

GLOBAL UPDATE

First let's have a quick look at the other four top leagues in the region:

View attachment 395051

Over in England history was made as Spurs won the league! They romped home and seemed to be top all season. With the rest of the sides at least 15 points behind you wonder if they made it easy for Spurs?

View attachment 395050 View attachment 395049 View attachment 395048

Else where it was less interesting as all the top sides won their leagues.

In Europe it was an El Classico final in the Champions League, whilst Seville managed to prevent Spurs lifting the Europa League.

View attachment 395047 View attachment 395046

BRAZIL 2014:

View attachment 555492

In the World Cup. Spain once again won, defeating England in the final. Ivory Coast were the surprise semi-finalists and their players clearly had good tournaments.

View attachment 395011
View attachment 395010

Last edited:
A Tamworth Tale

View attachment 555484

Tamworth announce new manager!

View attachment 394978

View attachment 394954

It is now November and it took almost six months to find a new club! However here at 'The Lambs' I finally have one. Given my reputation the Chairman kept declaring he was honoured I even applied!

They are currently in Skrill North, I had hoped for a Skrill Premier at worst side. However England is the easiest league to get promotions within and as such better jobs. I also was itching for a new club so took this job as I didn't want to wait anymore. This is a step backwards for my career but I'm enjoying this game so far so I'll accept this for now.

I join a club who are lying in 18th position. However they were relegated from the Skrill Premier and are predicted 2nd, so I should be able to turn it around like I did at Finn Harps.

View attachment 394953

View attachment 394952

I'm over the wage budget but will clear out some deadwood in January and get some new players in. I can still make the play offs.

Last edited:
Nov - Early Jan : Settling In

View attachment 394873

TACTIC OVERVIEW:

Well this squad doesn't really have the central power that my Finn Harps side did when I first took over, so I might be using something different for the rest of the season. I've been rotating a few tactics and these are the three I've gone for:

View attachment 394890

FIXTURE OVERVIEW

(We also had a Cup Game on the day I joined but I holidayed it and lost)

View attachment 394892

Only one defeat so far

HYDE
0 - 1 TAMWORTH
(Woolery)

A great win in my first league game in change. Bit of a smash and grab as we were on the back foot most of the game.

TAMWORTH 0 - 2 HISTON

Simply outplayed infront of our own fans. Less shots, less possesion and we didn't deserve anything.

TAMWORTH 0 - 0 GUISELEY

A close game, would have liked to win it at home but a draw was a fair result.

NORTH FERRIBY 1 - 1 TAMWORTH
(Wint)

Scored early on but never really kicked on. Another draw.

BUXTON 0 - 0 TAMWORTH

Poor performance but we got a solid point away from home. Another game that we struggled in the final third.

TAMWORTH 4 - 3 SOUTHPORT
(Clarke, Marks x 2, St Louis)

Absolute opposite from the previous games as it's our defenders who play awful. Thankfully our attacking prowess got us through in this highly entertaining game.

TAMWORTH 0 - 0 BRACKLEY

Most days we would have won this game but as a positive, another clean sheet.

WORCESTER 0 - 3 TAMWORTH
(Wint, Marks, Mwasile)

Mwasile returns from injury and gets a goal. He's been best player but has been injured and out for months. Happy he's back.TABLE:

View attachment 394891

Slow progress is progress.

SUMMARY:

Moving up the table which is the main thing and there are still 19 league games to go so plenty can change. If just two of those draws had been wins the gap would have been even shorter. With the table being so close it could be easy to shoot up the league with 3/4 good results. If I can sneak into the play offs I'm confident we will get promoted and that is still the ultimate aim.

Last edited: