donkarlito

Reaction score
View attachment 130274

I was wondering could a 3-6-1 formation be successful on Fm. I was thinking about this because in my first season on my At.Madrid save I came uo against Barca both unbeaten and after looking at how I could beat Barca dont know why but I decided to go for a counter attacking 3-6-1 (Well more like a 3-2-2-2-1 like above). That was it I left if in my tactics folder never used again. But now im thinking its quite versatile like a 4-6-0 difference is you have a focal point to aim for.

You can set the formation like so
View attachment 130276

View attachment 130277

View attachment 130278

View attachment 130279

View attachment 130280

there's alot more you can use.

Defensive points (strengths and weaknesses) My thoughts could be wrong
  • 3 defenders unable to cover width
  • Packed midfield resulting in less time and space for the opposition.
  • Create a defensive box in the middle of the pitch. (opposite to the magic box)

If any could think of anymore would appreciate it

Attacking points (strengths and weaknesses) My thoughts could be wrong
  • Packed midfield could be bad as well
  • Can provide brillant support for lone striker (2,3,4 or 5 attacking mids)
  • Provide width

If any could think anymore would appreciate it

So what do you think can a 3-6-1 be used as a successful season in season out tactic. Or one that will it always be a "spolier tactic" for small teams

Last edited:
I would love to give this a go actually, have you tried it out for any teams apart from that one game?

I think i might set it up with a covering defender or sweeper in the middle of the three defenders and maybe play with defensive wingers to help out on the wings when defending.

Also, i might try to employ a deep lying plamaker in front of the back 3 to try and dictate the tempo of the game, draw their midfiled out and then there will be space for the attack minded midfielders to exploit.

Target man up front? Might help to hold the ball up and play in midfielders bursting through the defense.

What do you think of these ideas? Hope they help you develop it a bit more :D

yeah i got a 3-6-1 working with barcelona it was pritty good

I would love to give this a go actually, have you tried it out for any teams apart from that one game?

I think i might set it up with a covering defender or sweeper in the middle of the three defenders and maybe play with defensive wingers to help out on the wings when defending.

Also, i might try to employ a deep lying plamaker in front of the back 3 to try and dictate the tempo of the game, draw their midfiled out and then there will be space for the attack minded midfielders to exploit.

Target man up front? Might help to hold the ball up and play in midfielders bursting through the defense.

What do you think of these ideas? Hope they help you develop it a bit more :D

Im willing to give it a ago if it doesnt sound like suicide football. 1st step need a good team to start with. There will 3 variations control, Attack and Counter

How about something like this

________ST
AML_____AMC____AMR
______MC___MC
_______Anchor
DL________DC______DR

If you have 3 really good defenders, then yes I think it could well work.

wouldn't it be better with wing backs to provide some sort of defensive width and possibly a narrow diamond midfield 4

wouldn't it be better with wing backs to provide some sort of defensive width and possibly a narrow diamond midfield 4

Drop them to wing back it will become back 5 instead of 3

Last edited:
would this formation work?:

---------------------st-------------------
aml---------------amc-------------amr
--------------------cm-------------------
-------------dmc-------dmc------------
-------------cb----cb---cb-------------
--------------------gk--------------------

the gk could be a sweeper keeper
the centre cb a sweeper cover
the other 2 cb's to be limited/stopper
the 2 dmc's as anchormen
the cm as ball winning
the amc as a treq
the aml and amr as inside forwards
the st as a complete forward.

with pitch width set to narrow, passing to be set down the middle and direct, possibly counter attack and a high defensive line.

would this formation work?:

---------------------st-------------------
aml---------------amc-------------amr
--------------------cm-------------------
-------------dmc-------dmc------------
-------------cb----cb---cb-------------
--------------------gk--------------------

the gk could be a sweeper keeper
the centre cb a sweeper cover
the other 2 cb's to be limited/stopper
the 2 dmc's as anchormen
the cm as ball winning
the amc as a treq
the aml and amr as inside forwards
the st as a complete forward.

with pitch width set to narrow, passing to be set down the middle and direct, possibly counter attack and a high defensive line.

I'll keep that in mind trying to find a shape that helps control the game

I'll keep that in mind trying to find a shape that helps control the game

i've used something similar but with the amc as a st before in the cook islands league and it worked althoough that could have been due to the weak quality of players there not really knowing how to exploit it.

Drop them to wing back it will become back 5 instead of three

in that case you'd need some hard working wide midfielders or couple of dms or maybe both to get to the opposition wide men. plus a 3 man defence is only really any good against 2 strikers so you would probably have to change to a 4 man defence against 1 or 3 forwards.

in that case you'd need some hard working wide midfielders or couple of dms or maybe both to get to the opposition wide men. plus a 3 man defence is only really any good against 2 strikers so you would probably have to change to a 4 man defence against 1 or 3 forwards.

Or change to a ball-playing defender stopper or attacking libero

Or somehow use Carilleros to work the flanks

Last edited:
Trying my attacking version beat Osasuna 3-0

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

it would leave you light at the back if you have a defender flying foward though wouldnt it?

Against 1 striker I will still have 2v1

Trying my attacking version beat Osasuna 3-0

---------- Post added at 04:41 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:38 AM ----------

Against 1 striker I will still have 2v1

it looks very vulnerable to a counter attack and any sort of width