StueyRob

Reaction score
3-7-0 - A Hypothesis by StueyRob..Updated 6/4/13

Intro,

Hi everyone as people will know who have followed Shyftyy's thread about 6-2-2-0 Counter A Hypothesis work in progress, i made my own version of the tactic based on the same theory but to creatE more goals at the same time.
So some credit goes to Shyftyy for the inspiration :).

Thread Link - http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...6-2-2-0-counter-hypothesis-work-progress.html

I came up with 3 Cb's, 3 Dm's, 2 Wingers & 2 Acm's...as shown below

View attachment 320996

I decided to make my strategy into attacking instead of counter or standard as i felt it would help create more goalscoring opportunites.
Alot of people in the thread who hav also made their own versions have went for the direct passing approach but i like my teams to hav short neat passing, so set the passing style to short.

So into the 1st test which was with Juventus who had a base for the tactic being good both defensively and having a strong midfield.

The best way i think to build the team for the tactic is to sell your strikers as most of them wont re-train or dont suit playing in an Acm role.

With Juventus i sold Matri and Quagliarella and brought in Muniain & Hamsik.

Hamsik comes highly recommended with this tactic, he became my top scorer for the season.

In the january window i got some extra money to spend and invested it into Jovetic who also comes highly recommend also and soon became a vital player also both scoring and assisting in alot of goals.

The 3 defenders all need to be quick, strong, a good header of the ball and have good anticipation stats.

The 3 defensive mids should all have good stamina, work rate, team work, passing and tackling.

The 2 wingers are just your basic wingers really, i retrained Giovinco to play on the right and Munian on the left so i had alot of pace, flair and creativity on the wings to also act as a goal threat.

The results,

League

View attachment 320998View attachment 320999View attachment 321082

in the 1st 5-7 games i was still making tweaks here and there which resulted in alot of draws to start with.

Italian Cup

View attachment 321000

Champions League

View attachment 321001View attachment 321003

The 2 losses were also during the tweaking period, and if im honest i didnt think i would qualify from the group after that but once i had the tactic ready the team rallied round and produced a good string of results to qualify top of the group.

Key Results

View attachment 321015View attachment 321016View attachment 321017View attachment 321018View attachment 321019View attachment 321020View attachment 321021View attachment 321022View attachment 321023View attachment 321024View attachment 321025

Player Stats

View attachment 321004View attachment 321005View attachment 321006View attachment 321007View attachment 321008View attachment 321009

As you can see Hamsik was my top scorer followed by Jovetic.
Giovinco my top Assist's
Buffon only conceded 20 goals in the entire season and only 5 in the league!

So after this season i could of really released the tactic, and had many requests to but thought id give it ago with Newcastle

League

View attachment 321058View attachment 321059View attachment 321060

Europa League

View attachment 321061

FA Cup

View attachment 321062

Player Stats

View attachment 321063View attachment 321064View attachment 321065View attachment 321066View attachment 321067View attachment 321068

Key Results

View attachment 321069View attachment 321070View attachment 321071View attachment 321072View attachment 321073View attachment 321074View attachment 321075View attachment 321076View attachment 321077View attachment 321078View attachment 321079View attachment 321080

Training

Pre-Season - High...Tactics, Tactics - Match Prep

Season - Average...Balanced, Tactics or Att Mov - Match Prep

Individual Training;

Leave to Assistant or assisgn each player to tactic roles

Shouts;

Ive only used 'Clear Ball To Flanks' but feel free to try others

Opp Instuctions;

Ask Assistant

Team Talks

Cant really say what to use, there is a guide that may help here;

http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...amtalk-guide-fm13-how-get-right-reaction.html

Tips

When drawing or losing with 10-15 mins switch to overload
When winning with 10-15 mins to go switch to counter or contain

Download - View attachment 321084

Updated Version 6/4/13 - View attachment 327767

Any Questions about the tactic or anything that i may or missed from OP then just ask :)

ENJOY!

Last edited:
Rob,

Do you set the shout at the beginning of every game or only to save the result till the end of the match?

I have updated my main post with your link in the testing area Stueyrob. Thanks for mentioning me in your write-up :)

Stuey, can this be good to keep a score 20 minutes to the end of the game?

I have the perfect players for this. Will give it a go and will update some results asap

Hey Stuey, I'm also going to give this a try with my Southampton team. They're already built for a 3-3-4-0 or 3-7-0 type of formation, so it should be a good transition.

I'll post in a few days with some results!

Hey Stuey, I'm also going to give this a try with my Southampton team. They're already built for a 3-3-4-0 or 3-7-0 type of formation, so it should be a good transition.

I'll post in a few days with some results!

Good luck m8

So I started a second save of my Southampton game to try your tactic... first two games were Villa away (1-0 loss for us) and Burnley away in the league cup (2-1 win for us).

Here's what I'm noticing so far.

The DMC and DMCL (to a lesser extent) like to move forward and get in the box, which is a good thing. I was already playing a 3-7-0, and my DMCs do the same thing with different slider positions, which makes me think that their movement is a product of the formation and having so much space in front of them.

Having the Anchor man, who doesn't push as far up, on the left kind of isolates him from providing cover against opposing players who drift in to the right. A couple of times my Anchor man was off to the left and missed intercepting a ball that was played to a waiting AMC or striker either in the middle of the pitch or to the right.

Possession was surprisingly high for away games, which is good i guess... except I think it came at the cost of offensive movement. With such a defensive formation and everyone set to pass really short, there was a lot of recycled possession and passes going back to the defenders when I wanted them to go forward.

When you scored goals, was it mostly off breaks/counters... or was it from build up play?

Maybe it's a question of player quality, as none of my players are world beaters, but both of my goals so far have been from fast breaking counters and not from build up, which kind of seems to go no where.

I'll continue to play games with the tactic and test it out. For the most part my team is fluent in it, as the team sliders are not much different than what I was already running with in the pre-season.

So I started a second save of my Southampton game to try your tactic... first two games were Villa away (1-0 loss for us) and Burnley away in the league cup (2-1 win for us).

Here's what I'm noticing so far.

The DMC and DMCL (to a lesser extent) like to move forward and get in the box, which is a good thing. I was already playing a 3-7-0, and my DMCs do the same thing with different slider positions, which makes me think that their movement is a product of the formation and having so much space in front of them.

Having the Anchor man, who doesn't push as far up, on the left kind of isolates him from providing cover against opposing players who drift in to the right. A couple of times my Anchor man was off to the left and missed intercepting a ball that was played to a waiting AMC or striker either in the middle of the pitch or to the right.

Possession was surprisingly high for away games, which is good i guess... except I think it came at the cost of offensive movement. With such a defensive formation and everyone set to pass really short, there was a lot of recycled possession and passes going back to the defenders when I wanted them to go forward.

When you scored goals, was it mostly off breaks/counters... or was it from build up play?

Maybe it's a question of player quality, as none of my players are world beaters, but both of my goals so far have been from fast breaking counters and not from build up, which kind of seems to go no where.

I'll continue to play games with the tactic and test it out. For the most part my team is fluent in it, as the team sliders are not much different than what I was already running with in the pre-season.

yeah thats 1 thing ive clicked onto since releasing the tactic, maybe try swapping the anchor man with the def mid

as for my goals alot were scored from simple build up play and counter attacks so pretty much normal really

i think to get the build up play to work then you are going to need a certain type of player who can be creative, has good decision making and good passing

i think to get the build up play to work then you are going to need a certain type of player who can be creative, has good decision making and good passing

I agree. I think playing creative MCs in the non-anchor DM roles would work really well, even if you have to retrain an MC that doesn't have very solid Marking/Tackling/Positioning attributes. Just being in a DM role and having to drop back deeper on defense should make up for their lack of defensive attributes.

I have Schneriderlin in the DMCR position, and he did pretty well with a high number of pass attempts in both games... but really, he's the best creative option I have in the mid-field... and that's not saying much.

I'm noticing PPMs really make a difference for positions like the DM and AMC... for example, one of my DMs, Maxime Gonalons has the 'get forward whenever possible' PPM... and with the space in front of him created by either AMCs playing shallow or the absence of an MC... he is sometimes the first player in the box when the team is making attacking runs.

On the flip side, I also play Rickie Lambert (ST, AMC) who on paper is the epitome of fantastic for this formation based on his stats (15 finishing, 15 passing, 16 work rate, tall with a 15 jump and 17 heading), all as an established AMC. The only problem with him is his PPM 'comes deep to get ball', often taking him out of scoring position or preventing him from making forward runs when the team is attacking.

Love that the discussions are still ongoing :)

That PPM is quite deadly to this tactic. You want him to stay forward or at least go forward as much as possible. You might try to train him to run with ball often and goes forward whenever possibly which I found are arguably the best for my AMC (depending on his Flair)

Last edited:
Love that trhe discussions are still ongoing :)

That PPM is quite deadly to this tactic. You want him to stay forward or at least go forward as much as possible. You might try to train him to run with ball often which I found is arguably the best for my AMC (depending on his Flair)

if im honest ive never used ppms since the game came out lol