3421 Possession, goals and beautiful football.

Such a lack of AMC's, will run test now, fingers crossed!

Yeah, I picked Wolves because they had plenty of CB's and some good wingbacks. I would dread playing Traore (4 marking, 5 tackling) and Costa (5 marking, 5 tackling) out on the wings. Gonna try to tweak some roles and instructions and run it again.

Just had a quick peak, look's like you may have been right... I won't say much more XD

So basically the same results.

Tried a couple of tweaks (different winger roles, dropping them back to wing backs) but neither improved the tactic so far. Still working on it

Latest tweak, attacking mentality:

View attachment 17639

Same amount of points but scored the most goals in the league. Also finished runners up in Carabao Cup to Spurs on penalties.

Going out for a couple of hours, will look more in depth at this test later.

Last edited:
Do you change anything during a match or depending how strong your opponent is?

So basically the same results.

Tried a couple of tweaks (different winger roles, dropping them back to wing backs) but neither improved the tactic so far. Still working on it

Latest tweak, attacking mentality:

View attachment 1199744

Same amount of points but scored the most goals in the league. Also finished runners up in Carabao Cup to Spurs on penalties.

Going out for a couple of hours, will look more in depth at this test later.

Interesting, I originally had it set on positive but changed it to balanced against some tougher opponents and it just stayed really, seemed more solid defensively.

Did you play with the same line-up you posted previous?

Do you change anything during a match or depending how strong your opponent is?

If I'm against a team close to me, when I'm leading late in a game I may knock it down to defensive, that's about it.

I only really make substitutions when people are really tired too.

Interesting, I originally had it set on positive but changed it to balanced against some tougher opponents and it just stayed really, seemed more solid defensively.

Did you play with the same line-up you posted previous?

Used the winter update this time so some attributes might have changed.

Made a spreadsheet comparing balanced to attacking mentality:

View attachment 17605

Attacking mentality seems to be the way to go against equal or worse teams, with balanced or maybe even cautious the best against top teams. With proper game to game management and switching mentalities during the game, the results should be even better.

Last edited:
Used the winter update this time so some attributes might have changed.

Made a spreadsheet comparing balanced to attacking mentality:

View attachment 1199778

Attacking mentality seems to be the way to go against equal or worse teams, with balanced or maybe even cautious the best against top teams. With proper game to game management and switching mentalities during the game, the results should be even better.

Interesting, I will try run through a season with Wolves alternating between the two today.

I did a quick test with Boro until Christmas, 3rd in the league, top scorers but horrendous defensively... test was done using attacking mentality, currently running through a balanced test now.

Im conflicted.

Using this with Wolves, and granted ive only played about 10 league games so far and perhaps dont have the perfect players for this tactic.

Currently in 7th place. 5 wins, 4 losses and 1 draw. And heres the crazy thing: 26 goals scored, 25 conceded in 10 games. I have conceded 10 goals more than other teams around me in the table, im joint last in the league when it comes to conceded goals.
Here are some of my results
Liverpool away 6-6
Man C home 4-5 loss
Crystal Palce away 4-1 win
West Ham home 1-4 loss

Think im very vulnerable when it comes to counters.

On the other hand - no other team has scored more goals than me in the league!

62% possession so far - best in the league.
Most passes completed in the league and sitting in third when it comes to pass completion % with 82%.

I do like this tactic, and I think my defenders are just not good enough.

This is quite easily the best tactic I've used for this years FM. Using Man Utd so I'm not sure how it'd work in regards to a lesser side but for United it was incredible. Only lost 5 games all season in all competitions, most of them near the end of the season when I was playing back up players/youth. Conceded 8 goals in the league, it's insane - was having numerous games of the opposition not getting a single shot against me.

I'd recommend setting up as many pre-season friendlies as possible to get your players used to it, I also re-trained many of the players into new positions. Apart from the keepers and I think one of my defenders, every player could play in another position - which definitely helped with injuries!

Couldn't recommend this tactic enough - great job!

Using it with Burnley for the 2nd season, I took charge in the summer after they just avoided relegation 1st season.
Having the same issue with conceding goals, easily got the worst defensive record in the league.. with 65 goals let in already after just 20 games.

We are 15th on 19 points, 3 clear of the bottom three after 20 games. Which is not too bad as we were predicted to be relegated. But I have brought in some good players.

View attachment 14506

View attachment 14507

The possession is very good though, we always dominate possession. Maybe this tactic is only good for the stronger teams in leagues.
Anyway I will post again at the end of the season.

Last edited:
Hello all!

Thanks for replying, I have been working away for a while so not had much time for FM, I appreciate all your responses, I'm gonna give this a whirl with my beloved Middlesbrough and see what I can muster up!

It seems like the tactic works better for top teams who have top defences, I'm gonna try work on that today!

Cheers :)

Hello all!

Thanks for replying, I have been working away for a while so not had much time for FM, I appreciate all your responses, I'm gonna give this a whirl with my beloved Middlesbrough and see what I can muster up!

It seems like the tactic works better for top teams who have top defences, I'm gonna try work on that today!

Cheers :)

What's happening at Middlesbrough? Out of the play-offs at the moment and in very bad form. Tony Pulis out?

Everything is going very...very wrong, I know how WBA fans felt when he was draining the life out of their club now LOL!