352 By The Better Half - Underdog/Middleteam/Top Team Tactics

TheBetterHalf

Patient Moderator
Reaction score
TheBetterHalfs
Top Team/Middle Team / Underdog Tactic

The 352

DOWNLOAD LINK, CLICK ME

After having got some feedback,this thread will be merged into my main thread, just like the rest of my tactics

This small set consist of 4 versions that are to be used as plug & play tactics. The first version is a " Underdog/MiddleTeam High Press", the 2nd a "Underdog/MiddleTeam/TopTeam Lower press" and the 3rd " Is a "High Press version for top teams only".

Playing as an underdog, the main versions are the naturally the Underdog ones. If you feel that you have the ability to disturb the opponent by putting a **** of a lot more pressure on them, then use the high press and if you are more scared that you might be dragged out of position by this superior team, then use the lower press version. When seeing that the team stops to close down as a unit, Its also a good option to use the Lower press version, no matter what teams you are or what team you are facing

Now, the 4th versions then. Well, its a "Compact and Tight" version used when one wants to sit with men behind the ball and keep possession when breaking up attacks. This does not mean that it will see you have 60+ % possession but it will let you keep it when needed, often restricting the opponent to having their share of the possession in undangerous areas. This version is to be seen as a compliment to the Lower press version only here, we dont seek to get the ball forward as soon as possible.

Notice that if wanting to use all 4( or 3 of them) in one save, you have to put them all into the match prep and maybe rename them so that you can tell the difference ( as only the first 10 letters or so are visible)

“Its not about the amount of possession but instead where you have it and where you restrict the opponent into having it “
-Various of people

The 352 - Why trying something that clearly does not work ?

As many of us know, its impossible to replicate the 352 we all see teams playing, no matter if its Juventus or any random Scottish team. The Match Engine simply does not allow the DCs to spread out, the fullbacks/Wingbacks to join the attacks late rather than ahead of the ball when using counter attacks, etc etc.
But if we can forget about these issues, lets just enjoy using this formation for what it is in FM

formationy.png

The Results
Its still trial and error using this formation but I have got really good results with Arsenal, Everton and Blackburn

The Players

Fcleft - Your normal Deeplying Forward
…but he does not aim to setup other players but instead he acts more like a linkman, acting in the hole like a Target man on support. I prefer this player to be strong so he is able to hold off the opponent. If he is good in the air, you will see some really nice headers late in attacks when the main goalscorer below has opened up space deep, having stretched the defence. PPMs like “comes deep to get ball” or “plays with back towards the goal” are really helpful.

FCRight- An advanced poacher
This player should be the main goalscorer. He needs good off the ball stat along with agility and pace. If using a player here that likes to come deep, then this works to as long as the other FC don’t have the same PPM

MCright – Attacking Midfielder
This player moves into channels and makes runs from deep often. If you have a MC/AMC that likes to get inside the area and that knows how to score goals, this is where you play him. As this player also helps out bigtime in closing down the opposition, its good if he knows how to.

Mcleft – Central Midfielder
Your normal Central Mid used in a supporting role. As he roams to find free space, its good if he knows how to

DMC – Deep Creative Complete DMC
- This player is a more creative ballwinner, sitting deeper and denying space as well as hitting killer balls from deep. He is given lots of creative freedom so if you don’t have a player here that is smart enough, then lower this to a level more appropriate

Wingbacks
- Looking at their settings in the TOP TEAM version and you will find they are different. Use the on that suits your players. ( better crossing, then use the " cross often" setting. Better passer, use the "t-ball often "setting). In the other versions, they are set the same.
Here, it´s crucial to have players that can handle running up and down the field, joining attacks, crossing to setup a goal, closing down and opponent. These are perhaps the most important players in the team as failing to get the correct players here and you will suffer

Outer DCs - Cover
Not much to say here really other than that is a big plus playing left on left and right on right
Central DC-Stopper
Here we use a stopper that also holds onto the ball, keeping possession until the outer DCs, the DMC and the rest of the team have provided more passing options

Tweaks and Shouts
As it
s a plug & play Tactic using classic mode, I use no tweaks(apart from the mentioned focusplay) and shouts are enabled

Opposition instruction
I have not used any at all but feel free to use them in a manor that suit the actual formation. ( i.e NOT showing MR/L wingers inside if they use overlaping fullbacks

Playmaker & Target Man
None is used

Match prep
There is no focus area that i crucial for the flow of the tactic. If you face a team that are great at set pieces and might focus on attacking set pieces as their only chance, use defensive set pieces. If up against a team you know are going to play really deep and compact BUT have poor attackers, then use attacking movement. If up against a team with really pacey and agile FCs, then use defensive positioning etc etc. Naturally, I use Team Work on a heavy workload in preseason but remember that when using a focus area that relates to the match plan ( like def positioning), the workload have no impact what so ever.

Pitch Size
Looking at the tactic and the circumstance, and you will see the following. Also Notice that if only using the lower press version or the TOP TEAM version, my advice would be different

•-Close down heavily: Meaning that the bigger pitch, in theory the bigger area to close down. So teams with players lacking in stamina would prefer a smaller pitch.

•Focus the play through the middle: If the pitch is really short, there will be congestion in the middle will struggle to find space.. If the pitch is too long, the gap between our midfield and our strikers will be too long though

•- Its a tactic for underdogs, hence opponents are likely to push up and use the width or the field, : Here, a really wide pitch means that these quality players will get too much space

•- The deep d-line and the balls into channels - As we play a deep d-line, we can actually use a long pitch and as we play a more direct game, putting those t-balls into channels, we would benefit from this long pitch in our attacks to.

So, in short, I would go for a normal length and narrow pitch for underdogs but a wider one for top teams but as there as pros and cons to everythingm, I leave you with these thoughs to reflect over

Examples of versions used

Naturally, I switch ingame as a reaction to what I see on the pitch but these would be my strarting choices

Arsenal
H Wigan – High Press Top Team
A Wigan - High Press Top Team

H Man U – Tight & Compact
A Man U – Tight & Compact

H Tottenham - High Press Top Team
ATottenham - Tight & Compact

Everton
H Wigan – High Press Underdog/Middle
A Wigan – High or Low Press Underdog

H Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower press
A Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower Press

H Tottenham - High Press Underdog/Middle
A Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press

Blackburn
H Wigan – High Press Underdog/Middle
A Wigan –Low Press Underdog

H Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower press
A Man U – Tight & Compact or Lower Press

H Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press
A Tottenham - Tight & Compact or Lower Press

Last edited:
Going to give this a go with Blackburn, will post results :)

Cheers. My only concern with BLACKBURN in my save is the lack of a Right Wingback.

I have just started a "clean" save with them ( in testing, it was more trial and error that lead to some soft goals conceded)

Im a bit intrested in trying this one with maybe Liverpool, will try to sign Joe Allen for the MCL and maybe M Olsson for WBL?
Do you have any other team suggestions?

cheers

I know what you mean Olson on the left is perfect, but on the right there is Orr but he doesnt seem up to it, Also finaces are a little tight, because im using this tactic im selling Hoiliet and Formica to try get some money to spend, I know I could retrain them but I think could get a decent Right WB

Last edited:
Im a bit intrested in trying this one with maybe Liverpool, will try to sign Joe Allen for the MCL and maybe M Olsson for WBL?
Do you have any other team suggestions?

cheers

I think Liverpool would do great with this formation. If not, I am currenty also testing a 361 version that will be up and running later this evening ( if results look good that is ;D

Not so sure why you want to sign more central mids though :D

I know what you mean Olson on the left is perfect, but on the right there is Orr but he doesnt seem up to it, Also finaces are a little tight, because im using this tactic im selling Hoiliet and Formica to try get some money to spend, I know I could retrain them but I think could get a decent Right WB
'
Yeah, getting those kind of players are often not as expensive as getting pacey strikers especially in the 2nd season. They seem to get outside the starting 11 in most teams controlles by the AI. One oculd also use hardworking wingers like Park form Man u without any problems

what formation is best for attacking plus a secure defence

Formation ? . There is only one formation in this thread, a 352. If you are referring to the different versions, the descriptions of them is in the OP. No version has the best attack and defence. If it was so, then I would only have uploaded one version :D

What team are you playing with, how are the opposition likely to play against you ?

im west brom they normally play 4-4-2 aaginsy me

Yes, but thats a formation, not an approach

My point is that if the opponent are better than you, then the lower press version is probably the best version. If your team is facing an equal team at home but your feel that they are really great at exploiting teams pressing high, then the lower press version is still the one to use. If this team seem to struggle when you use the HIgh press version, then continue using it. Just watch the match and its really easy to see what works and when you need to change approach

Just watch the match and its really easy to see what works and when you need to change approach

Whats the best way to watch the game in order to see when to change your approach, i.e. Key moments, full match etc, 2D or 3D?

Whats the best way to watch the game in order to see when to change your approach, i.e. Key moments, full match etc, 2D or 3D?

2D beats the 3D any day although I watch 3D because I like to more. I watch extended highlights along with looking at the match stats. After a while, yuo learn to spot things really early