andynufc10

Reaction score
TESTERS NEEDED

Intro

Boys and girls, hello!

I've been a member of fmb for a good few years and never really posted/ uploaded anything of my own. So this is my first.

I created this tactic while playing as Newcastle, and had pretty good success with it I feel. It's a 4-1-2-2-1 formation, as said in the title, or a 4-3-3 in basic terms.

Without making any signings I managed to finish 2nd in the league during my first season, while also winning the league cup. This is actually a tweaked version of my tactic as the initial version got totally nurfed after the various game updates.

Formation + Team Instructions

4-1-2-2-1/ 4-3-3

View attachment 293903View attachment 293932

League Table

View attachment 293904

LC Final & Other Results

View attachment 293905View attachment 293908View attachment 293909

Fixtures/Results Overview

View attachment 293906View attachment 293907

Key Performers

View attachment 293910View attachment 293911View attachment 293912View attachment 293913

Player Positions + Roles

GK- Defend
WBR- Automatic
WBL- Automatic
CB's- Defend
CDM- Anchorman
DLP- Defend
AP- Attack
AML- IF- Support
AMR- IF- Support
STR- Poacher

Additional Info

I don't bother with any match shouts or OI. Pitch size is just standard too.

Wing backs are used to hug the touchline, to help give a balanced look about the play. Inside forwards will cut inside, leaving the wide areas free for the wing backs to run into and exploit.

I haven't tried this with any other team, so testers would be great. I'm also not claiming this is the best tactic ever, I'm looking for any help offered as much as anything. The problem I seem to have with this is, it seems to get sussed pretty quickly for the second season. I know there are plenty of FM tactical geniuses on here so if anyone could help improve it then I'm all ears! Or eyes in this case..

Hope it's as successful for you lot as it was for me!

Last edited:
Would really appreciate any testers, for whatever level teams. Also it would be great if anyone could tweak it to help improve the tactic.

I'll give it a go in my Blackpool save as a secondary tactic. I'll let you know how I get on in the games I use it in.

Yeah, I was planning to but I have had a bit of an injury crisis so instead of using **** players I decided to use your tactic even though familiarity was next to nothing. Two 1-1 draws so far so I'm hoping that once familiarity goes up it can be a successful tactic.

You should get a lot of joy out of Tom Ince with this. One of the main reasons I created the tactic how it is, was to try and get the best out of Hatem Ben Arfa. 21 goals the first season wasn't bad!

Yeah, he's playing well, however, Matt Phillips seems to be more effective coming from the left. Now that the familiarity is going up at the 4th time of asking, I've got my first win. I'm absolutely dominating the matches(in the last match I had 3 times the opponents shots and most of the possession) so that is an advantage and I think think that once it gets to full familiarity I be storming games.

That's what I'm trying to work on/tweak. Sure up the defence, to stop getting hit by sucker punches, and to try and make more of the shots at goal. The odd game I find myself losing 1-0 or 2-1 after they have 5 shots opposing to my 25

I'm getting a similar problem but my main problem is converting chances. E.g. I just played Bolton, and after having 60% possession, 19 shots to their 7, 9 on target to their 2, I still drew 0-0. I would usually put the scoring problem down to the players but I am scoring with other tactics and when I have the likes of Gary Taylor-Fletcher, Wellington Nem, Tom Ince and Matt Phillips, who are all brilliant championship-level players I think it might be down to the tactics. Any ideas? That's my only complaint though, other than that, well done on a great tactic. I wasn't planning on using it as often as I have but due to injuries I have been using it more than my main tactic and I'm on course for a play-off spot. I'll give you an update at the end of the season with how I get on when using your tactic.

Last edited:
Cheers for the input, I appreciate it! That's the only problem I've came across while using this, I just don't know where to start in order to fix it. Although there are an overload of shots on goal, there's sometimes a total drought of CCC's. Higher quality teams will get away with this more than lower, with persistence of individual quality. Just need that one boffin from here to take a look at it and see what needs adjusting!

Try removing long shots from your wings, and try to remove target man. Makes you very dependant on the lone striker to score the goals. And I also find CM on support better than a DLP in this patch. You already have an advanced playmaker anyway, no need for both.

Edit: I'm gonna test your tactic myself, and see what tweaks I can make, then post here again when I am done :)

Last edited:
Ah nice one thanks, let me know how you get on. At the moment it's a bit of a tactic that will outscore your opponent. However if I can somehow tighten the defence without hindering the attack then I might be onto a winner :)

Ah nice one thanks, let me know how you get on. At the moment it's a bit of a tactic that will outscore your opponent. However if I can somehow tighten the defence without hindering the attack then I might be onto a winner :)

Won't be able to do it right away though, got 4 other tactics to test too xD But will try it as soon as I can :)

I would recommend changing the poacher role to trequarista as the player will drop deeper, rather than staying on the shoulder of the defender, dragging defenders with him and putting through balls into the inside forwards. Should create more clear cut chances I would imagine

Also, as you have the AP on attack duty, when the trequarista drops deep making space the AP will bomb on making more chances or sliding the ball to the IF. The treq needs good agility and creativity though, so doubt Papiss Cisse would be good, maybe retrain him as IF wing and he'll bury any chances he gets in the box unmarked.

Also, as you have the AP on attack duty, when the trequarista drops deep making space the AP will bomb on making more chances or sliding the ball to the IF. The treq needs good agility and creativity though, so doubt Papiss Cisse would be good, maybe retrain him as IF wing and he'll bury any chances he gets in the box unmarked.

Ah okay, thanks! I'll give that a bash, Ba should be okay in that role as he's a better all rounder imo. Don't suppose you have any input on the defending issue?

Possibly change the anchor to def mid on defend duty, this will help him intercept higher up the pitch. I use shouts to help defend also, Hassle opponents, Push higher up and stay on feet makes winning the ball back more efficient and recycles the ball quicker. Also changing from Attack strategy to counter would help keeping to team more compact defending but won't diminish the amount of shots at all. You'll just win the ball back and use it quicker rather than playing in their half all the time and then being beaten on the counter. It just depends on what kind of football you want to play really.

Possibly change the anchor to def mid on defend duty, this will help him intercept higher up the pitch. I use shouts to help defend also, Hassle opponents, Push higher up and stay on feet makes winning the ball back more efficient and recycles the ball quicker. Also changing from Attack strategy to counter would help keeping to team more compact defending but won't diminish the amount of shots at all. You'll just win the ball back and use it quicker rather than playing in their half all the time and then being beaten on the counter. It just depends on what kind of football you want to play really.

This is definitely the hardest FM I've played like. Finding it so difficult to create any CCC's, then even harder to tighten up defensively. It doesn't seem as if one hinders the other either, it just doesn't work over all