dickdastardly

Reaction score
Since the Beta, I have been experimenting with varying tactics and teams. I'm a Man City fan myself and while you can use most of the downloaded tactics out there and be successful, it usually involved making significant changes to the team. After a while of playing around I have designed a 4-2-3-1 attacking tactic that not only takes advantage of our depth at F, but is solid defensively as well.

Here is my current lineup.

View attachment 284726

Team Instructions. I do not use a playmaker or target man. The 3 AMC's filter plenty of chances to the poacher and if he misses, they are around for the followup.

View attachment 284727

Results after 14 games

View attachment 284732

**EDIT**

For individual play instructions, I adjusted my MC's a bit. They are set to rarely take deep shots and Garcia's mentality is set all the way to defensive, with Toure sitting slightly more defensive than normal. Basically both of them use really short passing to control the ball and when they get it to the AM's, they are all set to use direct passing. This leads to some nice CCC's for Tevez streaking up the middle. Silva and Nasri are set to swap as well. Both are basically interchangeable in the tactic.

Offensively, there are really 2 thought processes here. The first is to retain possession. The second is to quickly take advantage of opportunities when presented. Often, when I have played possession based tactics, there are many missed opportunities to score because the Striker passes back defensively. Though my midfield plays short passes to retain possession, once they send it to the attackers, they are looking for direct passes to the goal. This has led to quick counter attacks and some really nice 4 man breaks.

I have been playing this game since around 1998 and this is the first time I have uploaded a tactic(Should be posted soon) and please let me know if you have any questions or feedback.

Download available here http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/downloads.php?do=file&id=7258

Last edited:
Please re-post your upload in the download section providing the same info ( including screens) as you have done here and I will approve it.

Cheers

Have you made any changes to the settings of the players or are you using the ones presented by the TC?

Have you made any changes to the settings of the players or are you using the ones presented by the TC?

I adjusted my MC's a bit. They are set to rarely take deep shots and Garcia's mentality is set all the way to defensive, with Toure sitting slightly more defensive than normal. Basically both of them use really short passing to control the ball and when they get it to the AM's, they are all set to use direct passing. This leads to some nice CCC's for Tevez streaking up the middle. Silva and Nasri are set to swap as well. Both are basically interchangeable in the tactic.

I adjusted my MC's a bit. They are set to rarely take deep shots and Garcia's mentality is set all the way to defensive, with Toure sitting slightly more defensive than normal. Basically both of them use really short passing to control the ball and when they get it to the AM's, they are all set to use direct passing. This leads to some nice CCC's for Tevez streaking up the middle. Silva and Nasri are set to swap as well. Both are basically interchangeable in the tactic.

Great ! Better put that in the opening post ( just hit edit). If you also add some reasoning, I think we will be ikn for won heck of a post)

Cheers

If you are using City, I would say no, because Toure is very good defensive help. If you have someone like a Fabregas, someone who is more offensive minded, then go for it. When I built this, I wanted to make sure to make full use of Toure. If at some point he is gone and I cannot find someone like a Arturo Vidal or Sandro to replace him, I will go with a DLP in that slot.

Started my 2nd Newcastle season and found it was giving mixed results and performances so I started the 2nd season again and adjusted from attacking to counter if my team were getting outplayed, I was top of the league played 15 won 13 and lost 2 all was goig well and I thumped Norwich 8-0 and since then I have won 2 out of my last 10 games or so and hit a real rough patch for no apparent reason?, I will persevere with it and maybe make some tweaks cause it does play some nice football

Thanks for the feedback. You might try setting it to control when you are on the road and see if that helps as well. I have noticed that having a good amount of depth helps here as well as I am able to bring in fresh speed off the bench.

I have good pace and players with great technical abilitys bascically my squad is a very good balance and players that can come off the bench to change the game, started to think theres a glitch in my game as there is no reason for this massive slump in form as my opening 20-25 games were virtually perfect and had some hard games in that part of the season too, tried control but that seemed to confuse the situation but I will try keeping the attacking philosophy but play with a deeper line to see if that changes my fortunes and maybe get to the end of the season and have a squad review

would toure not be better as a box to box midfielder?

Damen, that's really bizarre because normally you shouldn't see cold streaks like that with a quality side, even if the tactic is poor. Who do you have as your Tre? You could think about changing that to an IF or an AM if it fits better. If you go with an AM, I would set him to a support mode with direct passes.

Adi, in 24 games with me as a BWM, Toure has 4 goals, 9 assists and is averaging a 7.34. You could obviously play him as a box to box, but he'll wear down more than he does as a BWM. It basically comes down to preference, in this tactic, I prefer to have the WB's run forward with the ball, rather a Box to Box run back to get it.

Might give this a go, but i have a Bale as my Spare AML. is this tactic effective if i pull silva and Nasri out wide?

or shall i retrain him as AMC?

I would retrain him as an AMC, myself. Silva and Nasri killed it as my Advanced Playmakers in the role. If you put them out wide, the passing style won't work as well. It plays narrow and the 2 CM's and D's pass short to the AMC's who pass direct, so you tend to see a lot of short passes as the ball goes up the field and then nice quick direct passes to attack. If you play them out as wingers, there won't be as many direct passing options