mozmonster

Reaction score
Thought I'd share a tactic that I've been having a lot of good results with in my Swansea save. Currently 1st in the league in December of the 15/16 season.

i.imgur.com/XTvpXVm.png

i.imgur.com/OaXp0LW.png

Imgur album with a few more screenshots: imgur.com/a/Z7EMr#OaXp0LW

It's the most defensively sound tactic I've managed to make in FM14, whilst still being attacking, and hopefully you'll be able to get some use out of it!

(Sorry about the lack of screenshots etc but I can't post links! - just copy+paste them into your browser and you'll get them)

View attachment 459755

This tactic is very good. Scoring at least 3 a game including a couple of 7-0 wins. No screenshots because my game just crash dumped!!

Glad it's working well for you, W4NKER!

As for training I use defensive general training, average intensity, and attacking movement training. Have a rest day after the match too. It's in a screen shot in the 2nd post. For opposition instructions I just have my assistant apply them, and I usually apply his advice on opposition instructions during the match too.

I see strange things happening in current ME...

but why do drop much deeper+offside trap+hassle opponents work well together? I mean they're almost conflictual with each other! I guess the deep D-line helps dealing with the awful fullbacks defending?

personally can't even play 4-2-3-1 atm despite being my favourite formation. 3-man defence has worked so much better for me, as well as floating crosses for the big target man when attacking... not my fav style at all, but only one working well for me... if I could find something different I'd love that ;)

what type of goalscoring chances you usually create with this tactic???

I see what you're saying about deep defending and offside trap, but hassle opponents is basically done all over the pitch and it forces the opposition into making errors on the ball. And yeah the deep defensive line (and 2 midfielders with defensive duties) helps out when the fullbacks bomb forward, but I've found that they track back quite a lot too when we lose possession, and also the pressure applied by the rest of the teams gives the fullbacks time to track back before the opposition can string a decent attack together. I've also seen the defensive line stepping forward from very deep to play players offside, so it might not be a conventional use of the two instructions but it seems to do the job. You should try this tactic out though - I loved playing 4-2-3-1 in FM13 but it took me ages to get a successful tactic in this one.

As for chances - the most common assist is a pass and I've found my left full back gets a fair few assists. The deep midfielders tend to sit on the edge of the opposition areas, and any clearances made tend to get mopped up by them then they redistribute the ball out wide to the fullbacks. That's when a goal is scored from a period of possession though. Also get counter attacking goals now and again too. Tend to make between 5-12 chances (including half chances) per match.

Last edited:
what roles do the CM in this formation perform? does on defend while the other attacks? you reckon it would work for spurs?

They both sit very deep. On an attack the fullbacks are more advanced than them - it's basically the 2 CMs and 2 CBs that sit back and let the others attack, and when defending they get back into the box to defend against crosses etc and put pressure on attacks from the edge of the area. They're both set to close down more, make short passes, and the CMR has is set to "Mark tightly" too. They don't get a lot of assists (in my save now each of my regulars have 6 assists each in about 25 starts), with about 7 tackles won per game. They're really all about getting the ball back and giving it to someone in a better position.

May work with Spurs. Would that be Dembele and Sandro in the middle? Haven't played with Spurs on this one but it sounds like something they could both do. Even Jonjo Shelvey does a good job for me.

I see what you're saying about deep defending and offside trap, but hassle opponents is basically done all over the pitch and it forces the opposition into making errors on the ball. And yeah the deep defensive line (and 2 midfielders with defensive duties) helps out when the fullbacks bomb forward, but I've found that they track back quite a lot too when we lose possession, and also the pressure applied by the rest of the teams gives the fullbacks time to track back before the opposition can string a decent attack together. I've also seen the defensive line stepping forward from very deep to play players offside, so it might not be a conventional use of the two instructions but it seems to do the job. You should try this tactic out though - I loved playing 4-2-3-1 in FM13 but it took me ages to get a successful tactic in this one.

As for chances - the most common assist is a pass and I've found my left full back gets a fair few assists. The deep midfielders tend to sit on the edge of the opposition areas, and any clearances made tend to get mopped up by them then they redistribute the ball out wide to the fullbacks. That's when a goal is scored from a period of possession though. Also get counter attacking goals now and again too. Tend to make between 5-12 chances (including half chances) per match.

yeah maybe irl offside trap and pressing dont go very well with an ultra deep line but I can see some sense in what you're trying to do, don't see much sense in current ME though ;)

actually I like a lot the look of your formation as it shares most of my favourite tactical ideas (4-2-3-1, creative attackers, more defensive CM's, supporting wingbacks), have tried something similar many times (but without the very deep d-line) and failed miserably, before finding success with a 3-4-2-1. My poacher in particular failed most of everything, I'm shocked you can make him an effective role in current ME! Does he score/dribble/goes 1 on 1 with keeper consistently?

He scores regularly, yeah. He's on 25 goals in 30 starts and 4 sub appearances (though I occasionally play him as a second striker in the AMC position). 6 of those goals were from penalties though. In that time he's only got 1 assist too so you can see the way he's playing from that haha. Can't remember his attacking movement for the goals off the top of my head though sorry!

UPDATE: 15/16 season - in total this season I won the league, league cup, European Super Cup and Europa league. I lost the Community Shield to Man United, and also got knocked out of the FA Cup by Man United in the semi finals. Funnily enough Man United also beat me 5-1 in the league, which was my biggest defeat by a mile (well I only actually lost 1 other league game!) but I think it might have been because I secured the title in the previous game so my players weren't motivated enough - who knows? Or it might have just been an unstoppable performance from Javier Pastore who got a hat-trick for them and took MOTM

I've attached my results, following on from the screenshot on the first page, just so you can see the consistency of the tactic.

View attachment 458767View attachment 458766

Here are the team stats for the season:

View attachment 458762

And here is a squad view with some useful info on individual stats:

View attachment 458751

Hopefully this will answer a few questions!

Last edited:
ive started a spurs save with this, and cant keep a clean sheet ive just been smashed by everton 4-2 and man u 4-1 any tips?

ive started a spurs save with this, and cant keep a clean sheet ive just been smashed by everton 4-2 and man u 4-1 any tips?

Are you doing the same training as me? Defensive general training and attacking movement match training? If so, how is the tactic familiarity level? I've just started my next season and my familiarity level is a bit low and I've also had a bit of trouble keeping clean sheets. Lost the community shield 3-2 to chelsea and just drew with Everton 2-2.

Are you doing the same training as me? Defensive general training and attacking movement match training? If so, how is the tactic familiarity level? I've just started my next season and my familiarity level is a bit low and I've also had a bit of trouble keeping clean sheets. Lost the community shield 3-2 to chelsea and just drew with Everton 2-2.

id have to say the tactic is 85% fluid or just about that, yes im using the same training as you ive played 8, won 4, drew 1, and lost 3, ive scored 14 and conceded 15 that just seems abit high to me, teams are simply passing through my defense cant figure out why, its annoying more then anything :( players dont seem to tackle