MichaelNL

Reaction score
Philosophy
In all the former Football Manager series I always downloaded a tactic because i wasn?t a genius in making my own tactic. Since the remove of the sliders and no good tactics available since the Beta release I made my own tactic which I tweaked during all the Beta and all the patches. Since I am a big fan of PSV Eindhoven i made a tactic that suits this squad well. The team has alot of good wingers like Depay, Narsingh, Bakkali and good complete backs like Willems and Arias(hes not that good ). The central defenders Rekik and Bruma are good ball playing defenders. With that idea in mind I made a tactic in the so loved 4-2-3-1 formation with attacking backs and central defenders who not only defend but are also able to send good passes and help build up attacks. With exploiting the flanks and short passing its really fun to watch. I always had like possesions of more then 55- 60 % and had like way more chances then the other teams. You push up your opponent far back and are very dominant. By clicking the expressive play option i give my genial players some extra freedom to express themselves.

I had never the idea to ??release?? this tactic but well it works wonders and not only form y PSV team but also for alot of other teams i had very good results. I tried other popular tactics aswell but except maybe 1 or 2 I had way beter results with my own. By sharing i here i hope others can have this sort of succes aswell with this popular formation. I tweaked the tactic over and over and I think it still can be improved but the latest changes didnt make the formation better so input is really welcome.

View attachment 457504 View attachment 457503
The players
The most important positions fort his tactic to work are the wingbacks, wingers and a good and quick advanced forward. The wingbacks should be able to cross decently and go and contribute to an attack. The central defenders should have some decent rating for passing aswell next to the normal attributes. For less good teams or teams who doesnt have such defenders changing them to ??normal?? center backs doesnt hurt the tactic that much. Because I use a high defensive line your central backs shouldnt be too slow aswell for the space behind them. I used Tim Matavz as advanced forward in my first safe but in my opinion he was too slow and when i replaced him with a quicker attacker it went way better.
Results:
Won the title 3 times in a row, won the Uefa Cup the first season, got to the semi final in the champions league second season where i got beaten by Real Madrid on away goals (in group stage i won 2 times), third season I am in the semi final again. I did some small tranfers but still playing with most of the players i started with. Except some regens or replacements i didnt have much money to invest.

View attachment 457502 View attachment 457472View attachment 457471View attachment 457470View attachment 457469
says enough i guess

Training and OI?s :
Pre-season i always do teamwork as general training and very high, tactics as match preparation.
During season : Balanced on normal, Attacking movements as match preparation ( for very hard away matches i Use def positioniong)
OI?s i let handle my assistent.

I hope some others players give me some input on the tactic how it worked out for them or have any ideas how to make this formation even more succesfull!

Last edited:
Looks decent, how are the results? I mean the matches, I don't see them :)

I have added them now to the post. As you can see i always have way more ball posession and even against Real Madrid who are about the strongest team in my game i dominate

Tried this tactic with my Southampton team for 5 games now. Played 5 won 5. only conceded 1 in the process. Looking promising.

That's a good start. let me know how it goes further into the season!

Looks good mate, always loved 4231 using a creative cm, I'll give it a go.

Any reason why the VMC is that much to the left? While the MC is a bit more to the right?

Any reason why the VMC is that much to the left? While the MC is a bit more to the right?

Yes there is a reason for the short passes it worked better for me to when one was more to the left and the other to the right. Als for long shots or loose balls between the midfield and defendin one midfielder more to the left and one more to the right worked better defensively

View attachment 457444

Works decently thus far. Nothing lost yet, though I have the feeling my defense isn't as tight as before. Still, look at the team of the week rathing. Almost all of my players XD

Nice tactic. But if I want to use 2 CWBs, What am I supposed to do with team instruction?.

Thanks anyway.

Hey Denis,

Looks like a nice tactic, that will suit an Arsenal side :) and allow Ozil to be played in his right position so thank you.

Quick question though,(can't try it at work ;) ) do you rely much on the corner bug? I have tested a few tactics using it and while it does create goal I find it a bit boring to watch highlights when 2-3 goals are the same.

Thanks in advance !

Both BPD have grayed out instruction of Hold Position.And what is a purpose of having one fullback with auto role and the other one with complete wingback att?

Last edited:
Nice tactic. But if I want to use 2 CWBs, What am I supposed to do with team instruction?.

Thanks anyway.

For the defensive stability i rather like one of the back abit more defensively, on the left side of the field Willems had way better stats for a complete wingback then my other player on the right. Also the right winger was more the guy who delivers more crosses then the left winger, so i made the left complete wingback the more attacking one who contributes to attacking and the left one on automatich when he gets the ''chance'' to attack.

Hey Denis,

Looks like a nice tactic, that will suit an Arsenal side :) and allow Ozil to be played in his right position so thank you.

Quick question though,(can't try it at work ;) ) do you rely much on the corner bug? I have tested a few tactics using it and while it does create goal I find it a bit boring to watch highlights when 2-3 goals are the same.

Thanks in advance !

I don't use the corner bug, I even dont know how it works. I score some corner goals though but not always the same ones. Let me know how it works out for you!

Both BPD have grayed out instruction of Hold Position.And what is a purpose of having one fullback with auto role and the other one with complete wingback att?

That was still from a former experiment with a ball winning ''stopper'' defender and ''cover'' defender but it didnt work out well(that's why its grey, not actual for this tactic). For your other question see 2 posts above.

Hey michael,

Sorry for the confusion in name, thought it was SSJDennis tactic, don't know why :)

Apologizes for that and thank for your answer, I ll let you know how it goes on my save !

This seriously needs to get more attention Michael!

These are my results since plugging it in mid-season with Man U:

View image: Manchester United Fixtures Schedule 2

Smashing Chelsea 4-1 away from home being the jewel in my crown. It just seems to dominate teams. Not really seen many defensive faults. 23 games, 21 wins, 2 draws, 0 loses sounds pretty good to me.

This football it plays is very refreshing compared to some tactics i've attempted to use on this site.

Well done sir.

Great tactic. Just wondering, i want to start a game with a lower team such a Hull in the PL and was thinking what things i should do differently because i am a lower ranked team. Defence seem to leak goals whatever formation/tactic i use.