4-2-3-1 PAV GENGENPRESS (Championship and EFL Cup Double with Record points)

ThePav

Reaction score
4-2-3-1 PAV GENGENPRESS 2017

Welcome to FM17. Thought I would start a game on the beta with Wolves the team I support. And thought I would share my 4231. The philosophy is possession based as well as utilising Jurgen Klopp's Gengenpress. As history has shown, most coaches have utilized high-pressure defending as a means to an end: regaining possession. This follows the standard dogma that more possession logically leads to more opportunities and thus, more goals. Klopp, however, saw the beauty in eliminating the middleman and instead opted to use counter-pressing as an actual part of the attack.Klopp commonly opts for a narrow 4-2-3-1 with width provided by marauding fullbacks. When defending, a high back line effectively crowds the midfield, allows for players to hunt in packs, and makes passing through the center an unsavory proposition for opponents. This is all done in an effort to win back the ball as high up the pitch as possible.

Gegenpressing means to pressure the opposition immediately after losing possession. So your team have attacked and lost the ball. The opposition now have possession of the ball and instead of leaving the ball and dropping off to become organised and compact behind the ball, energetic pressure is immediately applied around the ball as an organised and co - cohesive unit. The first priority of Gegenpressing is to try and win the ball back as quickly as possible and then counter the counter attack. The second priority is to force the opposition to make a hurried inaccurate or panicked pass, which your team can gain possession from or intercept or win and then counter attack.

I think John Barnes said it best in the words of timeless Rap. "You can defend or attack, theres only one way to beat them get round the back...."

You with me? Good let's see how this gets implemented.

The Tactic (Updated for Full game release)

View attachment 119563View attachment 119562

The Gengenpress (Opposition Instructions)

View attachment 124933View attachment 124922

Specific player instructions are also set on the players themselves. Coupled with these oppo instructions will enable the Gengenpress. Do not leave this to the assistant. You need to set the oppo instructions yourself. (It's a tab on the tactic screen) When you go into match ignore the assistants advice as your instructions seen above will already be set. You only need to do this once when you join the club and then they will always be on no matter what tactic you are playing.

Training/Match Prep

I leave to assistant

Use "demand more/push forward" as touchline shouts if you need a goal.

Progress

View attachment 124581View attachment 124580View attachment 124579View attachment 124578View attachment 124577View attachment 123489

As you can see I won the championship as well winning the EFL cup final with Wolves. Not only are we defensively sound with the least conceded, but as we dominate the possession we also score goals for fun. Not only that. We have the ball more than anyone else, we cross more than anyone else, we head more than anyone else, we dribble more than anyone else, with the gengenpress combined with all of this you can see that it gets results. As if you work harder than other teams, 9/10 you will get the outcome that you want. It's not the will to win, but the will to prepare to win, Hard work beats talent when talent does not work hard. Hopefully that is what we are trying to achieve with this tactic.

View attachment 124592View attachment 124591View attachment 124590View attachment 124589View attachment 124588View attachment 124587View attachment 124586View attachment 124585View attachment 124584View attachment 124583

Results

Three matches from the cup run cup beating Liverpool and Chelsea with Wolves. But also demolishing Spurs in the final!

View attachment 124934View attachment 124917
View attachment 124626

Park the Bus

Every good tactician needs to be able to shut up shop, sometimes people like Jose, all they know is the bus. But after 60/70 mins, If you want to preserve a lead, take off the AMC and Bring on a DMC. And this should keep the lead.

View attachment 119561View attachment 119559

10 men

If you go down to 10 men I would suggest going to the defensive tac and go with this shape and roles, Example after being 2 down at Man Utd and down to 10 this is what i went too and hit back with 2 goals and its worked multiple times before on this FM and other versions before.

View attachment 124409

Set Pieces

I tried to create a few routines, Make sure you have an Inswinging corner so Right footer, Left left footer right, As it should set up a shot for the ST ... in theory. Free kick on the left - Left Winger - Free Kick on the right Right winger. Throw in's have right full back take right side and left left side, it should again in theory create an overload in which you create a chance.

Download Links

https://www.mediafire.com/?ii1gziy83ng4aei 4-2-3-1 Pav Gengenpress

http://www.mediafire.com/file/o39vj...+Bus_CFAB5E89-C486-48F0-8D54-D3B401CF0B80.fmf4-5-1 Pav Park the bus

Disclaimer

This is an updated tactic from the original as it had issues after the beta finished and I had to update the format. Some of the screenshots are from the beta, but the tactics themselves are updated from the original. And might need a bit of testing. So feedback welcome :)

Last edited:
Nice tactic :) I am a huge Wolves fan myself :) But I can not deside if I want to start with them in the Beta or wait :)

But seeing your results, makes me hungry for them :)

Nice tactic :) I am a huge Wolves fan myself :) But I can not deside if I want to start with them in the Beta or wait :)

But seeing your results, makes me hungry for them :)

Do it the budget is not as big as I thought it would be but I guess we did spend a bit in the summer and on Cav at the end of the window, you get about 3m and are 40/50 k under budget and can sell a few, only players I got in are Jason Cummings and Bradley Dack. COYW

HAHA! That is nice :) I know this is a tactic thaerd :) But could you show a screen of the squard?

I am dansih, so sorry for the bad English :)

Updated the Op, Hope you like it, Some feedback on the tactic would be great lads. Cheers

tactic

6 matches and 6 wins, for now this tactic is very good :) Tomorrow I will play more matches and we'll see how it will continue....

Downloaded the tactic and loading it up now. Any attribute recommendations for each position? I've never been very good about scouting players to fit a new system.

Downloaded the tactic and loading it up now. Any attribute recommendations for each position? I've never been very good about scouting players to fit a new system.

You can use the drop down menu to search for specific attribute and roles in the scouting bit now, But obviously you will want people who are going to work hard. Look at Liverpool with Sturridge and why Fiminio is better off starting as he works so much harder.

I have startet the game myself, and give you updates on your tactic :)

Use your Danish skills for good, Some good scandanavian baragains out there by the looks this year

Player Fitness?

Hi,

I am new to FM and just started the beta yesterday. You seem to be having great success with your tactics! I was just wondering how's the players fitness levels? Do you use a big squad or do your main 11 plus subs manage most of the time?

Hi,

I am new to FM and just started the beta yesterday. You seem to be having great success with your tactics! I was just wondering how's the players fitness levels? Do you use a big squad or do your main 11 plus subs manage most of the time?

I got quite a big squad as there are a lot of games in the championship. I would suggest have 2 players for every position then have good back up in youth if you need more, that way they get a chance if you get injuries.

With Marseille 3 matchs, 3 lost, 2 red cards, 2 penalty concede... :':)':)':)'(

I love your concept to this tactic ThePAv. Do you not find after 60mins your players tire due to the constant closing down and how have you combated this playing stronger teams away from home or can pick you apart?

I love your concept to this tactic ThePAv. Do you not find after 60mins your players tire due to the constant closing down and how have you combated this playing stronger teams away from home or can pick you apart?

I been getting great results in the cup against bigger teams, Just beat Spurs 4-1 in the EFL cup final. I'll find out more when I get promoted, I do have a 433 to sure up the midfield and will post it in the OP when I'm happy with it

Did you take charge of friendlies??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

With Marseille 3 matchs, 3 lost, 2 red cards, 2 penalty concede... :':)':)':)'(

i'm not using this tactic but for years i have always used high pressure and hard tackling and after finishing my first season with bradford city, i did get a higher than usual amount or red and yellow cards