4-2-3-1 Possession, CLEAN SHEETS, Goals!

Byond

Reaction score
DOWNLOAD LINK: http://www.mediafire.com/?ey6k28wqkfy2cd0
The Balance of Perfection ;)

First up, this tactic is completely still in the testing phase, and will be tweaking it a lot until I find the perfect tactic for every team after a solid defensive tactic :) also the tactic name was just something I came up with on the spot, it really has minimal to do with Mourinho hahah.

And with Match Preparation, to get comfortable with the tactic set the focus to Defensive Positioning, after having that on for awhile you can set it to whatever you please!

This tactic bases itself, whilst defending, having 6, 7 or 8 bodies behind the ball and blocking any route to goal by shutting down opponents and pressing quickly.

The defense uses a personally created partnership of center-back tactics, with one center back hanging back and cleaning up any misplaced balls, covering for the other center back as he stays in a normal central defending position.

The two central defensive midfielders play a vital part in the defensive aspect of the game, as they hassle the opponents midfield and try to nullify any link up to their forwards by pressing and closing down quickly, after gaining possession the defensive midfielders look for a direct long pass to the attacking midfielders and forwards quickly, initiating the counter.

The attacking midfield trio consists of 2 inside forwards who look to push up and support the lone striker as much as possible by cutting inside, taking shots or looking for quick short passes in the box. The central of the attacking trio looks to initiate everything that happens in the opposition half, playing through balls to the inside forwards or a simple pass to the sole striker, or even look for the occasional shot - but not often.

The quality of players shouldn't affect this tactic at all, as long as you don't go expecting to beat Chelsea with Accrington with ease, but hey don't expect to get owned either ;) you never know.

I have tested this tactic with a variety of teams, Manchester City, winning the premier league with 7 goal conceded all season, and mind you I didn't buy that many big stars for the team, especially defensively.

Tested with West Bromwich Albion, finished up 3rd with 16 goals conceded all season, great effort seeing as I purchased a few youngsters and loanees!

Also tested with Charlton Athletic in League One and came 1st with 19 goals conceded all season, ended up scoring a fair chunk aswell, I don't have pictures for these yet but I will upload them whenever I can be bothered getting to it D:v but you should all test for yourself!

Once you do test for yourself if it doesn't work for you please let me know, and what exactly just doesn't work for you cause I am constantly tweaking and will be coming out with updates frequently :) If you test and would like to post results that would also be dandy.

Sideline Shouts are fairly simple, if you are trailing or drawing when you shouldn't be, set the talks to Get Ball Forward, Pump Ball Into Box & Push Higher Up, and change your strategy to Overload.

If you are sitting on a lead, and you don't want to/believe you can't build on it set your strategy to Defensive or Contain, and set the talks to Hassle Opponents, Get Stuck In and Retain Possession.

Any further questions or assistance, don't hesitate to ask. I can suggest players that would fit certain roles in your team for any team so don't hesitate to ask that either. This is one of my first tactics, but I have been tinkering and tweaking massively on this tactic.

Cheers :)

p.s I will be sorting out attacking and defending set pieces soon, any help with that would be appreciated, as it would help the scoring and protection of goals!

Last edited:
interesting statistics with Man City only conceding 7 goals in a league where literally anyone can score a goal against you (even a certain Paul Robinson in real life). Can I have a league table screenshot of that :D just want to see the prowess of this tactic before actually trying it out

cant get the link to work
*EDIT* tried in different web browser and it worked

Last edited:
Please post more details on West Brom game, post players you used and other things.

Definetely give this a go. Need to see more screenies before I could become more convinced tho

Hi!

Should I tick playmaker or not becasue AMC is on list?

THX!

Once i have a game in which Barcelona was a rock ...only 1 conceded goal on the half season :)

Playing in 2nd Switzerland league with Winterthur.
Conceded at least for a goal in 4 first matches using this tactic so far.
Did you play counter against outsiders also?

Tomorrow will try this tactic with Deportivo.

sorry,dont working for me....play with bayern and every match conceded min. 2 goals:(

Attempting with Doncaster. Some excellent counter attacks with a weakened team

did wonders with Red Star using this tactic...but I often use one back(left or right) with attacking role,it's pretty good against weaker teams that you expect to beat!

It is fantastic. Unfortunately the demo cancelled itself or something. So I will be definitely trying when my full game arrives :)

Byond,
did you try to use lone striker as target man with support role ?
Sometimes it is hard to hold a ball for my attacking players on counterattacks.

Hey mate just came to say thanx, it is starting to look great.
I was using a classic tactic that I've created simillar to ones I used in previous versions which uses the same formation as yours but tends to control the game more and be more attacking. It brought me no good as I finished 12th after the half season in Serbia with OFK Beograd side (realistic position would have been 3-5). I was conceding a lot of goals from corners, scoring a decent number but defensively I was rubish,(might have been cuz I was using second DM as something simillar to "box to box midfielder).
All in all I started using your tactic and results are:
Hajduk Kula 1:3 OFK Beograd
OFK Beograd 2:0 Smederevo
Red Star 0:1 OFK Beograd

Good thing I came along to this thread cuz I was starting to get really annoyed with this new version :)

I will post the rest of results after I finish the season.

So far this tactic doesn't work for roma. In first 9 (W-5, D-2, L-2) serie A matches i scored 16, but conceded 9. Pretty bad. Should i tweak something? I didn't change a thing of your tactic, because I wanted to test it.

You could tweak defensive free kicks i seem to concede most goals from them.

In the prem with leeds now, still pretty inconcistent away from home, beat city away then got destroyed by tottenham, not really sure how to change this, tried tweeking everything. Also pretty annoyed spent all my transfer budget on muniain to play left inside forward, gets a broken leg in training out for 7months what a joke