alexrayner

Reaction score
I have noticed that in fm 16, you need to have at least two different tactics in order to succeed. After trying I have managed to create tow 4231 tactics for home and away games that I have used in my united save to great success so far.
Here are the two tactics with their instructions and my regular starting 11.

View attachment 211927 View attachment 211926View attachment 211925

View attachment 211924 View attachment 211923
This tactics are not possession based tactics (Not a big fan of possession football). I wanted to create something similar to jupp heynckes 2013 Bayern formation which created a lot of scoring chances but also to make my team solid defensively.

So far here are the results of this tactics

View attachment 211922 View attachment 211921 View attachment 211920
As you can see I have scored a considerable amount of goals while not conceding much. The one game i conceded twice was the Wolfsburg game where tow two of their goals came from corners which I fixed in the corner setup because since then i have not conceded from corners. I create about 4 - 7 clear cut chances per mach and could be scoring more but martial converts 1/3 clear cut chances which is still better than Rooney's or Wilson's conversion ratio. I noticed in this FM CF is the best strike role for me, in FM15 it was F9 and AF, in FM14 it was Trequesta and Poacher.

Here are martial stats
View attachment 211919 View attachment 211918
As you can see see he is doing quite well for me despite missing 2 - 3 clear cut chances per match his speed has really helped me as most of his goals are through through balls behind the defenders and fast counterattacks. Most of my teams shots are on target as they take high percentage shots except for depay who counties to blast the ball from ridiculous angles and distances. Defensively I don't get that many cards either only the over aggressive rojo and a moment of madness by schnerdilin against tottenham ( which i still won 3 - 1 despite being 0 - 0 when schnederlin was sent of)

Some Team Stats
View attachment 211916 View attachment 211915 View attachment 211914 View attachment 211913
And analysis of my shots and goals

View attachment 211911View attachment 211910 View attachment 211906 View attachment 211905

And some results against Barca ( It took a wonder goal from Ineasta to break my resistance, as i frustrated Messi, Suarez and Neymar), Liverpool , City (Sam Johnstone was my keeper as De Gea picked up a neck injury) and tottenham (with 10 men)

View attachment 211902 View attachment 211901 View attachment 211900 View attachment 211899
For match training i use

View attachment 211897

For Opposition instruction I let Giggs do that.

Importance Tip: if your trying to protect a lead you should make your team play narrower and use the tighten up touchline team talk.

For my team talks, I mostly used aggressively expect a win for all matches since FM14. I let my assistant do the match conferences.

Hope this helps you guys​

Against some smaller teams away like watford, I use attack (with a deeper defensive line) but i normally use Defend. I normally look at how the game is going in the first 10 - 20 minutes and decide which to use.

Just used defend away to Arsenal and won 3-1!! (I'm Spurs) Counter attacked with frightening efficiency!

yeah and against City i used attack till I got a goal then switched to defend mainly cause I didn't trust Sam Johnstone's ability to stop Aguero and the rest of city's attacking superstars.

Interesting tactics. Used defend away to Salzburg who are poor and created nothing. Switched to attack in second half, scored two goals then switched back to defend and saw game out with no harm!!
I guess you could also use defend at home against bigger teams if you are a smaller club.

Yeah you have to analyse how the game is going and change between tactics. I change the tactics in matches a lot and the touchline team talks are just as important

There are not many Complete Forwards around tbh. Obviously Rooney is one, and thats probably why you built this tactic around one.

Any thoughts on simply changing the frontmans role to the one that best suits the player you have selected for the game?

I don't use Rooney as a striker, I use wilson and martial for their speed. I had tried earlier to use a poacher but he was to isolated,false 9 shoot way to much from ridiculous distances, I had some success with a target man support role with a shadow striker behind him but my strikers aren't the biggest, I guess you could try with a trequesta and Advanced Forwards, those two might work especially the advanced forward.

I don't use Rooney as a striker, I use wilson and martial for their speed. I had tried earlier to use a poacher but he was to isolated,false 9 shoot way to much from ridiculous distances, I had some success with a target man support role with a shadow striker behind him but my strikers aren't the biggest, I guess you could try with a trequesta and Advanced Forwards, those two might work especially the advanced forward.

I was thinking trying a F9 with shoot less often PI, going to try it now.

Yeah I tried AF at first not to much success, but I recently tried DLF and it was quite successful.

used Zach Clough as F9 for 8 games, didn't get more than at 6.5 rating and didn't score or assist, felt like he wasn't playing, PIs - Shoot less often - roam from position. Maybe i was doing something wrong but CF has been the best for me.

used Zach Clough as F9 for 8 games, didn't get more than at 6.5 rating and didn't score or assist, felt like he wasn't playing, PIs - Shoot less often - roam from position. Maybe i was doing something wrong but CF has been the best for me.

Yeah F9 role sucks in this FM. Except your using a great striker the F9 will frustrate you. CF and DLF are the way to go.

I started with these 2 tactics and my 1st 2 pre season matches with Milan I lost 5-0 and 3-0 to weaker sides......

I started with these 2 tactics and my 1st 2 pre season matches with Milan I lost 5-0 and 3-0 to weaker sides......

I didn't to well in my preseason too. Let the tactics gel first and analyse how the matches are going then make changes if you need them.

Yeah F9 role sucks in this FM. Except your using a great striker the F9 will frustrate you. CF and DLF are the way to go.

I had a good tactic with the F9 but the patch made attacking fullbacks redundant, ive tried changing the roles of the fullbacks but nothing seems to work, Zach had 31 goals in 38 for me in the prem. Now he can't even score 5 :/

I had a good tactic with the F9 but the patch made attacking fullbacks redundant, ive tried changing the roles of the fullbacks but nothing seems to work, Zach had 31 goals in 38 for me in the prem. Now he can't even score 5 :/

Yeah on the Beta patch I used chrisdufc 4231 goals tactic with the F9 and that worked wonders for me as rooney couldn't stop scoring but once the 16.1 patch came out, I couldn't score to save my life. I thing SI noticed that F9 were abused in FM14 and FM15 and they changed it like the short corner routines. If you want to use the F9 role I recommend changing the attacking midfielder to a shadow striker or using a 2 or 3 striker tactic like vujevic"s inverted 424 tactic for Leicester city

Yeah on the Beta patch I used chrisdufc 4231 goals tactic with the F9 and that worked wonders for me as rooney couldn't stop scoring but once the 16.1 patch came out, I couldn't score to save my life. I thing SI noticed that F9 were abused in FM14 and FM15 and they changed it like the short corner routines. If you want to use the F9 role I recommend changing the attacking midfielder to a shadow striker or using a 2 or 3 striker tactic like vujevic"s inverted 424 tactic for Leicester city

I pride myself in making my own tactics but I've taken to the forums because nothing I do is working, just looking for a bit of motivation, loved my tactic last fm with IF-F9-IF but I can't recreate it with the same effect as last fm.

I pride myself in making my own tactics but I've taken to the forums because nothing I do is working, just looking for a bit of motivation, loved my tactic last fm with IF-F9-IF but I can't recreate it with the same effect as last fm.

Thats nice theres always a little more satisfaction you get when its your own tactic. As for trying to recreate your tactic, I don't think it will work to much. Most things that worked in the last FM don't work anymore. The ME changed so much and the AI is much smarter this year. I think you should use the basic principles of last formation but change some instructions and some player roles like instead of a F9 why not try DLF which is quite similar to the F9 as both drop deep, but the the DLF is not as erratic as the F9 with its shooting. Maybe you could as try and make your IF play narrow and get further forward to support the F9 and let the FB's provide the width