Looks good so far, seen Berwick play a few times so hopefully it goes well with them

Yeah fingers are well and truly crossed! Who'd you see them face?

No update tomorrow but have a few on Thursday plus the beginning of results!

Seen them play a couple of pre season friendlies as grandparents live nearby, can't really remember any specifically, looking forward to seeing the results

dailyrecord&sundaymail.png

deek_1393549a.jpg

REMEMBER RIORDAN?

Remember that Derek Riordan? Played for Celtic, and was a huge fan favourite at Hibs? Who at the time were top four contenders in the then-SPL? Well since then there has been a slow-descent. From a poor run in China, he had interest from all over Europe. Trained with a decent Blackpool side but subsequently opted for St. Johnstone in the January window of that season and only managed a handful of games before the season came to a close and his contract drew to a close.

Following this game a 12 game without a goal, spell at Bristol Rovers before his release. Then came Alloa.. and then East Fife. East Fife wasn't a bad run, he managed 3 goals in 5 games but didn't remain on a contract and has since left. He spent the Summer trying to revitalise his career and spoke of a full time move abroad to fix what was broken. He also had some time training with ex-club Hibs. However, a different move ended up coming his way.

The 33 year old, with 3 caps for Scotland, decided he was excited by the idea of Berwick Rangers with new, inexperienced gaffer James McKenzie - who is only 32 and younger than the striker.

He said on Twitter: "It isn't a big money move, it isn't about that. It is the movement. [1]", "It isn't that there wasn't interest, I have had my fun, made some money and.. [3]", "this is what I want. I want to see what can happen here. It is exciting, and I can watch from the inside. [3/3]".

After spending time as a trialist, he eventually agree'd a part time deal. However, his new club haven't enjoyed the best of starts with their new man in charge. They are supposedly expected to bounce about the top 4, and a play off spot however things have been a little different.

9baefc884f217b20e968f1c1c9103927.png

After an opening win in the Challenge Cup, a loss to Falkirk in the League Cup was met with 2 League defeats and an exit to Livingston in the Challenge Cup before a win was had. Such a win though wouldn't be enough to get their season on the go, only 1 more win (against the only team below them in the league) would follow. A third of the way through their campaign and only 2 wins to show for it. That isn't a good start, Mr James McKenzie!

He is confident though, he told the local radio this on Thursday: "I will have to hold my hands up and say it has to be my fault. I have been tactically inconsistent. I have to understand that I am not coming from an experienced background and neither are many of the players to be fair. We have one or two who have actual professional, full-time experience. We have a hunger though, we have players who DO want that experience and we can get them there. I have to understand where we are going and what resources we have. I am still sure we can get what is expected this year. It is tight."

2140.1405340234.png

Brian-Porteous.jpg

"The players are the problem. Not the boss." Brian Porteous, the Berwick Rangers chairman stated earlier today. This comes after James McKenzie, himself, took the blame for the first 10 league fixtures, where wins were near impossible to come by.

"I think the players have to understand that they must work, they must work. We aren't Manchester United, nor are we even Dundee United. We are a part-time club, in a part-time league. But we want to be Manchester United, we want to be a Dundee United. And if you want to make it, anywhere in life, never mind on the pitch - you MUST work."

"And guess what? James McKenzie is WORKING. He is on a part-time contract, like all the players here, and he works. He spends time in the community, he is at all our meetings, he spends every day working on this club. Working on players, staff and the future."

"He is finding his feet in the management game, but he absolutely has the knowledge, work ethic and grasp of the game to make it. I am delighted we have James McKenzie. He will turn this around but he needs the PLAYERS to WORK."

We haven't heard much from the playing staff as of yet, or the manager himself. However, top goal scorer Darren Lavery did tweet:
"complty agree with chair, james works for us all. we have to repay it if we want to make it"

009_034__darrenlavery_1366903358_standard.jpg

I have faith you'll get Berwick moving in the right direction. On my save I was going to start with them too, but after seeing you'd begun, I had to change tact. Keep up the good work mate. :)

The Boy

images

I was sat on the bench at the local park and leisure centre when I finally realised what I was, where I wanted to be and why I wanted to get there. It was a very decent day, there was a family playing tennis and a few people walking their dogs and a boy.. and 15 year old boy who recognised me. He approached me cautiously, and suggested I was the boss of 'that Berwick side'. I agree'd, placed my notepad to my left as he sat a yard or so away on my right.

He was interested in me, in my history and everything about managing a football club. It was amazing to have such a person have such an interest in the game and how the game operates. Not FIFA slang like 'CAM' or how pace was the be all and end all of football - which it can be, and I would love some pace in my Berwick Rangers side, but we don't all get what we want.

Anyway, the conversation moved on from what I had done.. and onto what I wanted to do. Was lower league management it? Could I become the next Sir Alex? Could I even just make it into the hotseat at a full time Scottish club?

It turned out this boy was on the books at Newcastle United. He was touted to be something special, apparently, but he refused to let it get to his head. It was here where I told him I was in a similar situation at such an age, just less quality. He wanted to live football, he always did - something he inherited from his father who had unfortunately lost his life when the boy was only 12. The boy was something else, he was so social, excited and well-spoken.

'Where do you see yourself in 5 years?' were words that made me really think.. Everyone needs a career plan, path or goal. He told me he wanted to be in football full-time, making a decent living but he knew that he was a bad tackle away from not making it. A harsh reality, but that is football.

"I don't know." I pondered, "Good question."

I don't know where I want to be, well I do - I want to be in charge of the biggest football club in the world. I want to end world hunger. But is this realistic goals? I couldn't say they were.

I want to be on good money, with a good side, respected and known. Or do I? What do I want? I want to make it. I want what this boy wants. I want football.

The Scottish Cup

200px-Scottish_cup.jpg

The Scottish Cup is one of the special things about football. Whether you are Scottish or Spanish, I just feel there is a special magic about the Scottish Cup and the FA Cup too. But the Scottish Cup has everything for it.

There is 92 teams who compete for the oldest trophy in all of Association Football. And here I was, handing in my team sheet for our opening tie against Theavre Rovers. A smaller, amateur side. We could do with the excitement of the Scottish Cup and potentially a smaller side to hopefully bolster our morale. Results have been poor.

3b3cdb25aa83304033f92bad4d954029.png

a7c4e7b6a19cd501c0168a15a98bd4ef.png

Few changes. But those are the players, and changes we ended up making. Loanee Innes Murray gave us the lead with his first for the club, and youngster Connor Murray did the same as a substitute. Progress made in the FA Cup as we limit the opposition to 3 shots in a 2-0 victory. Hopefully things are brighter as we look at picking up our league form.

Alloa Athletic next. Second tier Alloa Athletic. Who are struggling, but as are we. Hopefully we begin to make some changes to our on-field presence and we play like we should be. A win there could have us playing anywhere in Scotland. Pittodrie.. Parkhead.. Ibrox.. That's the dream.

ibrox.jpg

Incredibly busy and lack of response doesn't make stories easy, however, if not tomorrow - then Thursday - will have more Scottish Cup action, news from the bottom of Scottish football and more about the boy..

Thanks for those who have followed thus far!

Incredibly busy and lack of response doesn't make stories easy, however, if not tomorrow - then Thursday - will have more Scottish Cup action, news from the bottom of Scottish football and more about the boy..

Thanks for those who have followed thus far!

Keep up the good work mate. Don't let lack of responses bother you, if you enjoy writing and the save, keep at it. :)

You know how it is sometimes man, go on views not comments.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Progress

JS56242812.jpg

I knew very quickly that I had to drive-home my idea and philosophies, but at the same time I didn't necessarily know myself. Our 4-4-2 wasn't working and a real change was needed. I needed to slow the game and sort out our back 4. Conceding 2/3/4 goals per game was just not on. It was shambles, but thankfully, we did sort out the back four.

In the next 4 league games after our Scottish Cup win and shocking start to the league campaign, we would concede 0. Derek Riordan would give us another league win with a neat run and finish. This was followed by another 1-0 victory via an early own goal as we welcomed Stirling and our close as fu*k games continued with a 0-0 stalemate away at Annan. I continued to be happy though because this was okay.

This was something I could be happy about, it was the progress I was aiming for. Results changed and we were looking solid. The following game, was again a 1-0 victory. However, this could not have been deserved. Clyde hit us over and over and over again with attack after attack. 5 times did I count stops on the line, whether from the keeper Walker or the back 4. Unfortunately the win sealed Barry Ferguson's fate and he was sacked. A huge name gone from a small club because of me and my boys.

a6f74f05cc6a0cfcc3718a0411486213.png

This could help us set up for Alloa Athletic in the Scottish Cup, a struggling second tier side against a 4th tier Scottish team beginning to find their feet. We would take a huge early lead through a lingering David Morris cross that found Michael McKenna. However, Michael Chopra (Remember Him?!) grabbed a brace prior to half time. The second half would drag on until we finally made things work down the right, a Morris and McNeil one two saw a cross find Lavery! 8th of the season! This wouldn't be all though; a Lavery and Coultress move would allow Coultress to also get on the score sheet. Alloa would crumble as we found another opportunity to score.

f7dc5649f2ab02acf7cf61254b5a7bf4.png

Motherwell awaits.

The following few games didn't see our back four keep their defensive record up either, we threw away a lead at Arbroath before we would do the exact same against unbeaten runaways Elgin City. However, it wouldn't even be a point we'd take in the 4-2 defeat. However, on came East Stirlingshire that gave us our confidence back.

This would be followed by a trip to Hampden Park, where we would take on Queens Park.

"Empty stadium boys, but this is one of the greats in Scotland. What a place. Scottish Cup finals, international nights, this is where you can taste a dream."

And thus came a 1-0 victory. Performance was average, and up next was Annan. Our final challenge before the Scottish Cup would continue. I feel that played on the boys' head, and I wasn't happy at all. A 2-1 loss at home was what we had to go to Fir Park with, Motherwell have been struggling so who knows.

ee7a7d5f8bf57fe1597ed8a7334672a8.png

1268474.jpg

I woke up tired, but ready. Motherwell away is big one, an exciting one. Playing against professionals, who have played against other professionals. Players who are living the dream that my boys crave. A manager doing what I want to do, at a level I want to be at.. for a little while. Then I want to hit the big time, but Motherwell is still a big club.

I checked my emails, early. And I had one from a Robert Porter.

"Hi, Mr McKenzie! It's Robert, or Bob.. Porter. I've just been told to train with the 18s at Newcastle United! I managed to ask around and get your email. I gave you a good word to the coaches too, so you may get a call some day who knows. ;).

I am the boy from the park a few months ago if you didn't know! Hope you had a merry christmas. Have a good new year too, hopefully I will. Keep in contact. This could be the start of something, both of us at the big time one day??"

Wow. The boy got back to me, and he came to me I didn't go out my way to get into contact with him. But maybe it would be weird if I went around asking for a 15 year olds contact details? Good on him though. Apparently he's supposed to be special, and now with Newcastle's academy just down the A1.

93918bf58ed36818b40ae38796b87097.png

The Scottish Dream

images

I woke up early. 6AM early. The bus left at half 9 and we would arrive at Fir Park for 1, kick off at 3. I went through my message from young Porter and dropped him a reply.

"I am glad to hear you are doing well with Newcastle United. I know you are a good kid, but just to remind you not to let it go to your head. You could be England's next top striker but you could be working in the Co-Op come 21. Focus on your schoolwork, get grades. If football fails you can fall back on a trade.

Football won't fail though. I believe in you. You could always have a place at Berwick Rangers. Chat soon. Happy New Year."

I began to look at final tactical reports, Motherwell reports and then I was off to pick up apprentice brickie and Berwick Rangers' back up centre back Ross Duncan before we met at the bus.

images

We piled on, Kevin Kyle did a quick register.. we waited another five minutes for Darren Lavery to show up.. and we were off. It wasn't a great bus, but there was space and the boys had their toys in a sense. David Morris sat half-asleep listening to music, Jonny Fairbairn, our captain, was also intensely focused. A few of the lads spoke, played cards and spoke about going out tonight. They were part-timers so I couldn't totally dictate what they did but advised they kept a cool, professional head if they wanted to reach the higher reaches of the game.

As we were closing in on the ground, I rose at the front and turned to the squad.

"Here we go boys, this is a big game for us. Playing professionals. Not only in the sense that these boys are good, but these boys live football. They don't work part-time at a supermarket, or do labouring, physio work, nothing. All football. Them boys in there, them boys are living our dreams. We can make these dreams a reality, whether we do that today or not. Lets just ******* rattle them, let them know that they aren't all ******* that. It's only ******* Motherwell, and we aren't an ordinary team of working men. Come on boys!"

I didn't intend on the change of tempo, I got excited, I was all about respecting Motherwell, the professional game, and their ethos. But I am James ******* McKenzie and I wanted right at them.

In saying all that, we still set up defensively and I did calm down a bit to talk tactics. But still..

Let's do this.

Motherwell

firpark_front.jpeg

"We know exactly what to do today boys, we have been over this all week. We have no real expectations on us, either.. but guess what? Motherwell do. They are at home, they are absolutely shocking in the league and are reliant on a cup run. Lets rattle them, lets play smart."

"Lets go!"
Morris screamed as the boys got up and made their way out the changing room and into the narrow tunnel.

"We could cause a huge upset today, boss. We really could."
Donald, the clubs physio said, as the non-playing staff followed the boys out. And we could. We really f^cking could.

The game got underway, they had the likes of Scott McDonald up top. Keith Lasley in the middle. They weren't a good side outside of this. And even these two players were ageing. It was a clear sign of the decline of Scottish football and it was a ******* shame.

f6f32fa9560c2a6351a0e8510d29c0ff.png

We had McArthur come in for one of his first starts, while Drummond held on to his spot at the back alongside the likes of skipper Fairbairn and Ewan McNeil. We looked to go more solid in the middle, with 3 central midfielders. With this we could congest the middle on the small pitch at Fir Park. A congested midfield forces them to play awkward football and hopefully with this we get a cagey affair - the longer the game goes on with us still in it the more nervous they get. Simple.

McKenna and Morris have been key this year and take up the wide roles. Big decision as Coultress has been strong down the left, but McKenna can come narrow. Top scorer Lavery leads the line ahead of experienced Riordan.

Immediately it was clear that Motherwell weren't looking great, they had a small number of fans who showed up who showed their dislike at the current state of affairs at the club and had loud boos ringing out early.

Their young, English back 4 were solid from the start however, their full backs had clear instructions to work it wide instead of through the congested middle. This was still a difficulty though because the park is so narrow. Ross Graham also had to come in early for the injured McArthur.

Ross MacLean, for Motherwell, had two shots early on saved and another hit the bar. The game steadied though and we had our fair share of shots too as half time arrived, unfortunately at only 0-0. We could have had one, with a Ewan McNeil cross dangerously lurk but Lavery could only get his body onto the cross and it went wide.

Motherwell could be feeling the pressure now.

_80182713_ojamaa.jpg

"Boys, this is exactly where we wanted to be. We could be in the lead, but we could be behind. Motherwill will be needing to push for it now. McGhee needs that job and a loss here could seal his fate. Lets invite the pressure but at any opportunity to break, lets do it. Force mistakes. Have them worrying. Simple and easy. We have nothing to lose."

The second half started slower as I expected from Motherwell. The early switch of MacLean for Reading's Jake Taylor surprised me as MacLean was causing a few issues for our McNeil. Motherwell though, were clearly looking to wait for their chance to come and a mistake in the middle almost gave us a chance after 60 minutes. Brown picked up the lose ball from a poor touch by Cain and he worked it wide of Morris who came narrow and placed Graham through but his shot was somehow blocked and put wide. Their full back, Townsend, worked like an absolute wagon to make it back.

Morris hadn't been himself and was replaced by Coultress at the same time Motherwell introduced Ainsworth. The 28 year old was known for his pace and was an immediate problem. Every ball was worked towards him and eventually he caught Drummond out and was through from his wide right position to poke it past Walker who had made some big saves only moments prior.

I called in a few boys very quickly - "Hit them everywhere, big tackles, they are going to soak it up now but we can still get a replay. Balls over the top, balls into Coultress. Everything!"

And moments later, we found our feet. We were playing it slower as we took a late control of the game and the ball was shuffled wide to Coultress and he tried a ball to the edge of the box for Brown, however this turned into a scrap and Lavery somehow found the ball poked through to him in a packed box.. it hits the BAR!

Gutted.

Eventually the 90th minute comes. 1-0 Motherwell.

20995231611_24fba22c2b.jpg

Gutted. Mark McGhee offered his condolences, as he welcomed me into his wee office for a quick drink and chat.