A Different Kind of Champions League Challenge

Ronaldo Moves to Sweden

View attachment 441491

View attachment 441485

After a few months job searching and plenty of rejections a job was offered by Osters IF, a role that was almost taken up prior to going to Corinthians (crash dump!). Oster are now somewhat of a yo-yo club between the top two divisions of Swedish football. However, the club boasts an impressive history and it would be nice to bring some glory back for them. This will be a good stepping stone for Ronaldo in Europe.

Transfers
View attachment 441486

View attachment 441484

Some good bargain business here as our budget was miniscule. Senghor is a player of top quality and will cause problems for anyone we come up against. Saag is a pacey customer that will compliment Senghor very nicely. Our aim will be to outscore the opponents using our classy forward line.

Results
View attachment 441487

View attachment 441490

Just like Corinthians, we got off to a bad start. Once again I was on the brink of the sack, this time I had to make a public apology for announcing my interest in the Partizan job which was probably not the best idea considering I wasn't doing well in the league at that time. We came back and put up a big fight towards the latter stages for European football. In the final game of the season we beat Djurgarden to confirm a place in the Europa League whilst our fierce rival Kalmar did us a favour by beating AIK meaning we finished 2nd! Oster's last season they finished second was 1983 so it a very good achievement considering we were the favourites for relegation.

Headhunted: The Challenge Begins

View attachment 441489

View attachment 441488

Being headhunted is a great feeling. Ronaldo's achievements with Osters IF was recognised by Swedish hotshots Malmo who had twice rejected me. They have a very proud history including reaching the 1979 Champions Cup Final which they lost. I now aim to win the Champions League with Malmo to put right the final loss all those years ago. It's going to be tough.

Hey mate i usually don't come nearby the story forum but from time to time i do, and i found your story and it's very very interesting, definitely a new follower! Ronaldo is one of my all-time favorites players, also i would like know what kind of tactics are you using now, still the same as first season? Keep it up, it's looking good!

Hey mate i usually don't come nearby the story forum but from time to time i do, and i found your story and it's very very interesting, definitely a new follower! Ronaldo is one of my all-time favorites players, also i would like know what kind of tactics are you using now, still the same as first season? Keep it up, it's looking good!

Hi there, cheers for the interest. I am switching between 3 tactics at the moment(including the 4-2-3-1 as shown before) but this is the most regular formation I am using now:

View attachment 441399
Malmo Mid-Season Update

Transfers
View attachment 441409View attachment 441396

we were given a far bigger budget than I had at Oster but I opted to be prudent in the transfer market picking up players for low fees and frees. Manolas and Ewerton spent some time on trial with me at Oster and impressed so they've been brought in to bolster the back line. Following them from the same club was Saag, who's impressive goal tally for me last season is well worth 100k. With players coming in I needed to streamline the squad and out went the deadwood. Danielsson was a very good sale for 1.1m, he was our 5th choice centre back!

Results
View attachment 441400
View attachment 441401

Its been a reasonable start to the season with the most notable achievement being our Swedish Cup win bringing in my first trophy in Swedish football. In he league our form has been patchy but we are still within touching distance of top spot and the runaway winners from the last 3 seasons Elfsborg have also been struggling which helps us.

Huge Signing!!!
View attachment 441408

I lept around with joy when I saw that club icon Big Zlatan would be willing to come back to the club that raised him. He may be old but he still has quality and will be crucial for our European games we have now got ourselves through winning the Swedish Cup

Key Players

View attachment 441402View attachment 441403View attachment 441404
View attachment 441405View attachment 441406View attachment 441407

Could you please post here Kaimar Saag attributes and his history?

View attachment 441292

Season 2017 Part 2

League Results

View attachment 441297
View attachment 441290

Wow what a season, it was full of twists and turns. On the last game of the season we were 3 points behind AIK. We ended up winning 1-0 while AIK lost 3-0 to Hacken meaning that we picked the title up on goal difference! I would like to make it more comfortable next season.

European Adventures

View attachment 441294

View attachment 441293

We're doing very well in Europe with no team able to beat us in 12 matches. It was relatively easy to qualify for the group stages despite Dnipro being billed as tricky opposition. In the group only Dynamo Kiev cause us real problems which is not surprising considering they are a strong team. The 8-1 thrashing of Cluj away from home demonstrated how lethal we can be and I fear no one going into the next round.

Player Performances

View attachment 441296
View attachment 441295

I'm very happy with player performances this season. Reis has been in great scoring form particularly in Europe whist Gustavsson won the Fan's Player of the Year award due to his consistent performances, goals and assists from the right wing.

View attachment 441291

Malmo - 2017 League Champions

Season 2018 Part 1

Europa League
View attachment 441223

We had a European tour to remember as we reached the Semi Final. First stop were German outfit Schalke where we put together a great defensive display to come through the tie. Then came Bayern. We got a respectable draw at home and going into the away leg I was sure Bayern would beat us - but they didn't! A magnificent performance crashes out one of the best teams in Europe. We met with Dynamo Kiev yet again and this time we managed to break the streak of draws and beat them on their own turf. This was followed up by an outstanding 3-0 away win at Anfield. However, our run ended in the Semis as we were annihilated by Liverpool in Malmo. I got it tactically wrong and went to cautious. They were 2 goals up early on and then had the momentum to get the 3rd to take it to ET and grab a late winner.

Domestic Results
View attachment 441224
View attachment 441225

I've been somewhat disappointed with our start to 2018 in Sweden. Our early season form in the cup and league saw us get plenty of clean sheets, but the cup ended in disappointment as we were dumped out by my old club Oster. Home draws against Orebro and GAIS are not good enough and losing to Norrkoping was a terrible way to finish off before the summer break

View attachment 440734

Season 2018 - Part 2

Transfers
View attachment 440744
View attachment 440740View attachment 440741View attachment 440743

Made good use of the transfer market to improve our squad with some top regen youngsters who have the potential to play at the highest level.

League Results
View attachment 440735
View attachment 440745

We had an excellent second part of the season with just 3 slip ups. Very happy with the amount of clean sheets, I've been tweaking my tactic defensively and it looks like its paying off. League Champions!!

Champions League
View attachment 440737
View attachment 440736

Have to say I'm delighted with our progress in Europe. We qualified for the group stage with relative ease and we were given a group I though we could do ok in and qualify for the Europa League. However, we caused surprises and sneaked through to the knockouts - the highlight was definitely the 7-4 win over Atletico who have established themselves as one of the best teams in the world. What a game!

Best 11
View attachment 440739
View attachment 440738

Another outstanding season for our players and we deservedly retained the title. Along with our domestic success, this year has seen us get to the Europa League Semi-Final and the Champions League knockout stages - here we will have a stern test against Barcelona...Kostas Manolas picked up the fans player of the year for his talismanic performances at centre back that helped us towards a lot of clean sheets. New signings such as Barrios and Barragan have settled in very well. Unfortunately, van Duijvenbode and Reis picked up cruciate ligament injuries and were sidelined for 9-11 months - their attributes have had a huge decline.

View attachment 440742
View attachment 440733

Zlatan Ibrahimovic decided to call an end to his career aged 37 which was a shame as I reckon I could have got another year out of him. His last game came against Gladbach on the 13th December 2018 where he set up Barragan's goal to put us through to the Knockouts. His status has grown from club icon to club legend and he will remain at the club as a coach. More for sentimental value as he is a gash coach.

Last edited:
Ibra should've been fitness coach with his 15 fitness, decent determination and his inner will to hand out punishments to whatever player who refuses his routine/mocks his nose!

View attachment 440374

Season 2019

Transfers
View attachment 440380
Big money, for Malmo anyway, was forked out on Tibbling. He's a quality midfielder who adds a creative option alongside the more tenacious Israelsson or Barrios. We needed to bolster our Swedish quality to keep in with the rules of the League so Andersson, Demir and Almeback came in as squad players as well as Larsson and Soderstrom as hot prospects for the future. The Brazilian trio of Welison, Maracas and Melo came in to add depth to the League/Cup whilst the current best 11 can focus on the Champions League.

League Table
View attachment 440375

We've had a fantastic start to the League campaign as we sit top with games in hand. Solid at the back and dangerous going forward is always a good combination as we go 10 games unbeaten. The only domestic disappointment was in the Swedish Cup, where we lost after extra time 2-0 to AIK in the final.

Champions League
View attachment 440376

On the way through this CL campaign it's fair to say there's been some dancing around the living room! We were never going to be given a kind draw and we faced the holders Barcelona in the first knockout stage. We got a very respectable 2-2 draw at home but I had very strong doubts we could beat them at the Nou Camp. We gave a great account of ourselves and looked as though we'd narrowly lose out when Barragan popped up with a goal in the 89th minute to put us through to the Quarter-Final. Here we faced familiar opponents Atletico Madrid.

Yet another last minute goal gave us the win at home and we went to Madrid with one intention only; destroy their game. It was rugged, hot tempered and lacked the excitement of the 7-4 game in the group stages, but we did the job and got the 0-0 to send us through to the Semi's. Here is where it was clear for all to see that this competition meant so much to the players. Our defensive performances were flawless and we were clinical with our chances allowing us to progress to the final with a 4-0 aggregate win over Bayern. Yes yes yessss, we had somehow made it to the final!!! 40 years on from the last time Malmo reached it where they lost out to Nottingham Forest, would it be triumph or tears?

View attachment 440377

View attachment 440344

Incredible! This game was a nail-biter. It was 0-0 at HT with just a couple of chances either way but Juve took the lead just after the hour mark through Werner. We then had some good chances against them but their keeper kept them in it making some fabulous saves. But once more we were able to score in the dying minutes of the game through that man Vasiljev sending the game to extra time. Barragan continued his fine CL form by finding the net in the first half of ET and we shut out Juventus well. It looked as though we were going to win it but a lapse in concentration in the last few seconds of the game allowed Benedettio ''Next Del Piero'' De Trizio to tuck away a sublime finish. The game was to be decided on penalties and my lads had the mental strength to score all 5, 18 year old Vasiljev got the winner after Bender blasted their 4th penalty at Dahlin.

We had done it. MALMO ARE THE EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS!!! 40 years on from the original final, this time the tears have turned to cheers as we lifted the trophy at the Nou Camp in front of 104,000 fans. Man of the Match, Simon Tibbling who although not normally known for his tough tackling made an incredible 21 tackles and 13 interceptions stopping Juve's creativity hub and topped his performance off by scoring his Penalty.

Key Players
View attachment 440362
Bouli was instrumental at the back during the knockout stages - an abundance of key headers, tackles and interceptions from the big man lead to the string of clean sheets on the road to the final. Unfortunately he missed the final through suspension.

View attachment 440363
Berge has proved to be an outstanding full back through consistent performances against the best teams in Europe. He's defensively solid and good going forward, getting crucial assists and the odd goal.

View attachment 440364
Alexandr is the youngest member of the squad at just 18 and has big boots to fill as Zlatan's replacement. However, he has shown maturity and quality beyond his years as he has physically dominated defenders, linked up play and scored important goals. He could become one of the best strikers in the world.

View attachment 440361
View attachment 440378
Last but not least, it's Matias Barragan. What a campaign its been for this young man. He started his career at Boca and was snapped up by Man Utd for 4.8m but failed to make the grade at United and was released. However, he's managed to find himself at Malmo and fired us to glory with 13 goals, breaking Messi's record of 11.

Champions League Squad
View attachment 440355View attachment 440354View attachment 440353View attachment 440352View attachment 440351View attachment 440350View attachment 440349View attachment 440348View attachment 440347View attachment 440356View attachment 440358View attachment 440346

View attachment 440345

New Ronaldo Era
View attachment 440379

Last edited:
What were the defensive tweaks??

Your tactis always seem solid, and the arrigo sacchi was working wonders until 14.2.0, so i want to give this a go as all i really want is a tactic i can trust so that i knew anything other than that is purely my fault!!

thanks

Arsenal taken over and now poor by the looks of that transfer budget! Sounds like a very interesting job to have taken up there after such great heights accomplished with Malmo, Ronaldo got a nose bleed! Great work so far, keep it up!

don't take the arsenal job
stay at malmo check out jordan larsson son of henrik hot tip for future

What were the defensive tweaks??

Your tactis always seem solid, and the arrigo sacchi was working wonders until 14.2.0, so i want to give this a go as all i really want is a tactic i can trust so that i knew anything other than that is purely my fault!!

thanks

The one I've been using recently is more of a hybrid between the Sacchi and the Deep 4-4-2 Counter.

View attachment 440263

There it is if you'd like to check it out :)