March

Tactics

Due to a few poor performance I thought it was time to change the formation around and tighten up in the middle of the field. I opted for a 4-1-3-1-1 formation looking to exploit the middle as most of our goals have come form long range and not from crosses.

View attachment 107286

Signings

So my backroom staff brought a few loan signings. First signing Joshua Debayo on loan from Leicester.

View attachment 107285

Secondly Ryan Yates on loan from Nottingham Forest.

View attachment 107284

Third signing Tom Anderson on loan from Birmingham.

View attachment 107283

And Lastly Scott Law signs on a free transfer.

View attachment 107281

As you can I signed Ollie Palmer after many appearances since October he still hasn't found the net.

View attachment 107278

Better month but still not picking up all 3 points. I spoke to soon Ollie Palmer SCORES!!

• Macclesfield - A nice home win, also a clean sheet, Liam Noble bossed the midfield. Ollie scores!
  • Dag & Red - This was a tough end to end match. I really thought it was going to end 1-1 but then they scored on 92 mins. Last minute collapse.
  • Wrexham - A well fought point I was very pleased by this result as they are top 6 as well.
  • Solihull Moors - I was gutted by this result we dominated the match and again they deny us all 3 points.
  • Lincoln - I was extremely pleased of the whole team with this result top of the table clash and we came out on top when Murphy netted twice for us.

Player of the month

Elliott Frear gets this award 2 assists and 2 goals and an average rating of 7.94 I was very pleased for the young lad who stepped up to play behind the striker and his pace was very influential.

View attachment 107274

League Table

Despite the win over Lincoln it still wasn't enough to go top.

View attachment 107269

Last edited:
April

View attachment 107267

Mixed month.

• North Ferriby - Ferriby wasn't getting the better of me this time. Murphy popped up with a brilliant bicycle kick on 46 mins.
  • Guiseley - Another 2 goals from Murphy to earn us all 3 points on a match we dominated from the kick off.
  • Chester - This was the chance to go top and once again we blew it, Chester were just alot better than us on the day.
  • Southport - A nice comeback win against Southport was nice after going 2-0 down, again Murphy got on the score sheet twice. Another rare moment OLLIE scores his second goal.
  • Maidstone - This result would have put us in a firm position to be crowned champions. But after 25 mins Liam Noble got sent off again and that killed the game and the dream of finishing top.
  • York - Another game to forget, that well and truly blew it for us. The dreaded playoffs it is then.

Player of the month

Rhy Murphy gets the award 5 goals in 6 matches and 3 assist.

View attachment 107260

League Table

So we finish the league second, with the first leg away to York not the team I wanted to play after my last result.

View attachment 107261

Last edited:
May

The dreaded Playoffs.

First up was an away tie to York not the team I wanted after just failing to beat them last match.

View attachment 107149

I was very pleased though I didn't expect much i went out defensive and highly structured with a 4-1-3-1-1 formation. We took the lead from a long range shot from Liam Noble on 57 mins. A very sloppy short back pass allowed Vadaine Oliver to Capitalize onto it. So with a 1-1 draw away we take them back to the new lawn.

View attachment 107145

It's fair to say we hammered them and booked our place at Wembley. We took the lead early from a side footed shot through Drissa Traore, early on this was the game changer York just crumbled like a digestive biscuit.

WEMBLEY STADIUM AWAITS SMITH.

View attachment 107144

The Wembley dream was over. We just didn't show up, was it the shock of playing at Wembley? Aldershot were by far the better team looked stronger and up for it. Words couldn't describe the emotions running through my head that night. Murphy did score 2 goals at Wembley but it just wasn't enough.

Season awards

Top goal scorer Rhys Murphy came second scoring 29 goals in all competitions but 27 in the league. Adam Marriott just tipped him to the award scoring the same amount but contributed with more assists.

View attachment 107143

Forest Green Awards.

View attachment 107141

After having an end of season meeting with the players felt that we could push on and achieve promotion next season.

Unlucky to blow the league title in the final month and then the playoff final defeat! I've had many of them, it'll just spur you on in your next one!

Unlucky to blow the league title in the final month and then the playoff final defeat! I've had many of them, it'll just spur you on in your next one!

sure will I'm so determined to get promoted.

Ollie Palmer turned out to be great for me in my Forest Green save playing in the TM role. I managed to sign him on a free transfer after the first season on a cheap contract, I'd definitely recommend sticking with him as I reckon he'll come up good for you!

Really enjoying this so far, by the looks of it I'm sure you'll get promoted next season

Ollie Palmer turned out to be great for me in my Forest Green save playing in the TM role. I managed to sign him on a free transfer after the first season on a cheap contract, I'd definitely recommend sticking with him as I reckon he'll come up good for you!

Really enjoying this so far, by the looks of it I'm sure you'll get promoted next season

Thank you for the advice and i'm glad your enjoying it. I hope he does come good because thats the dilema i have do i sign him or don't I as he is on loan at the min.

Preseason

Signings

View attachment 106664

Not to active in the transfer window 5 in on loan due to hardly having any money plus we also extend Tom Anderson's loan from Birmingham. Only 1 in on a permanent deal Jake Sinclair costing 9k from Hereford. In terms of out goings 4 young lads go out on loan. 5 out of contract players that leave the club and Keiffer Moore joins Macclesfield for 19.75k.

Welcome back Tom Anderson on loan from Birmingham

View attachment 106651

Welcome Jordan Flores on loan from Wigan.

View attachment 106650

Welcome Danny Whitehead on loan Wigan.

View attachment 106663

Welcome Ben Brereton on loan from Nottingham Forest.

View attachment 106662

Welcome Joe Worrall on loan from Nottingham Forest.

View attachment 106661

Welcome Alexander McQueen on loan from Bradford City.

View attachment 106649

Welcome Jake Sinclair on a Permanent deal from Hereford.

View attachment 106660

Media predictions

View attachment 106659

New contract

A Pleasing note is that I sign another years contract with Forest Green.

View attachment 106648

Results

View attachment 106658

Perfect Preseason.

• Briscombe and Thrupp - Easy team to play a thumping away from home. Was nice to see Brereton to score a brace on his debut. Another player that has stepped up to the first team from the youth squad is Giancarlo Gabbiadini he also got a goal on his debut.
  • Bishop's Cleeve - Again another thumping away from home and Brereton and Gabbiadini linking up well with more goals for the club.
  • Frome - All 4 strikers score! despite a 5-0 thumping I did feel for Frome as they out played us we had 5 shots and luckily all 5 went in they had 28 shots and couldn't convert 1.
  • Wigan - Tougher opponents, but we out played them just like last season Murphy and Tubbs linked up well to win the match.

Player of the month

Ben Brereton gets the award scoring 5 goals in 4 matches the youngster stepped and proved why he should be in the team.

View attachment 106652

Last edited: