Jamie1807

Reaction score
Today Rangers announced that 30 year old Jamie Macdonald will take over the management of the playing staff of the club from Ally McCoist, who has moved to a Director of Football role to help Macdonald on his first management role, as Rangers start a new dawn in the Scottish first division as they have become a NewCo.

Macdonald is a life-long Rangers supporter and played for the club and his country, before his career was cut short at the age of 27 to a horrific knee injury, he had been working with the under 19s at Ibrox since then. Known for his attacking style as a midfielder, it will be interesting to see if he instills that mentality into his squad.

Speaking at his first media press conference, the young manager said: "It's an absolute privilege to be taken over as Rangers manager, I was a lucky man to play for the team I grew up supporting, at a stadium my grandfather used to take me to every second week. I would have loved him to have seen this moment, however he did get to see me make my Rangers debut, and score my first Rangers goal before he sadly passed, I know he'll be proud of me."

"I'm absolutely happy to have Ally as director of football, he's a friend of mine and also one of my boyhood heroes and a club legend. It's still tough times for the club and I'm glad he's around, I have also retained the services of Kenny McDowall, Ian Durrant, Adam Owen and Jim Stewart as my backroom staff."

Asked about the global transfer ban placed on his team: "I think it's a complete joke, but we must deal with it, it's difficult but I know, having worked with some of the guys in the youths that they are ready to make the step up, we'll be having contract talks with them when we report back to training."

"I will also be encouraging fast paced, exciting football for the fans and will be looking to develop the next Ally McCoist's, Brian Laudrup's, Paul Gascoigne's around this place. We will return to the SPL next year, we've a few issues with other teams we seek out."

In taking the job, Jamie Macdonald is the youngest manager of Rangers after Graeme Souness, who was 33 years old when he took the ranks back in 1986.​

Last edited:
RANGERS ANNOUNCE NEW CAPTAIN

After previous captain Steven Davis walked out on the club, one of Jamie Macdonald's first tasks is to appoint a new captain.

Carlos Bocanegra has been selected to be the new captain by the young manager, who's actually younger then the new captain!

Speaking of his decision: "I went for Carlos, I've known him a short while but already you can see he's a fantastic guy off the field and has wasted no time in getting to know his new team-mates, his experience is vital and he captains the US national team and I think he'll be a huge influence within the young squad."

"Lee McCulloch was a front runner, yes. He will be vice captain, he is pure Rangers, carve him open and you'll find a Rangers crest instead of a heart."

Speaking of his appointment, Carlos Bocanegra said: "Yeah, it's a fantastic honour, I haven't been here long but everyone knows how big a club Glasgow Rangers is, I will wear that armband with pride and I'd like to thank the manager for choosing me."

Lee McCulloch said: "I'm very happy to be vice captain, I think the appointment of Carlos is a wonderful one, wonderful player and man, the young guys know they can come to me, Carlos and Neil Alexander anytime"

View attachment 257762
Carlos Bocanegra, captain of Rangers and USA.​

Last edited:
OXFORD UNITED 3 RANGERS 4

Alexander
Broadfoot (Hegarty 45)
Goian (Perry 45)
Bocanegra
Wallace
Little (Naismith 45)
Bedoya (Hutton 45)
McCulloch (Telfer 85)
Kerkar (Ramsey 45)
Healy (McKay 45)
Hemmings

It was a nice, bright day for Jamie Macdonald's first game in charge of Rangers at The Kassam Stadium, where it was a very close run match with loads of end to end action.

Rangers' Romanian defender Dorin Goian tapped in from a corner in the 8th minute to put Rangers 1-0 up. Young English striker Kane Hemmings then added a second for Rangers when he broke free of the Oxford defence and lifted the ball over the goalkeeper which then hit the post and trickled over the line.

Half-time: Oxford United 0 Rangers 2

Rangers wasted no time in scoring a third after half-time, within a minute Kane Hemmings hit a fine finish.

Oxford winger Alfie Potter pulled one back two minutes later with a fine 25 yard strike that flew into Neil Alexander's top right corner giving the former Scotland international no chance.

On 51 minutes, 16 year old striker Barry McKay was brought down by an Oxford United defender in the box and the referee pointed at the spot, Kane Hemmings stepped up for the chance to nab a hat-trick, however his powerful effort smacked the post. A few minutes later, Lee McCulloch gave away a penalty after a foul on Potter. Peter Leven, who was once of Rangers stepped up and drilled the ball past Alexander. It was now 3-2 to Rangers.

Five minutes after his penalty miss, Kane Hemmings netted his hat-trick, when he picked up the ball 30 yards from goal and powerfully made his way into the box lashing home a fine strike to give Rangers some breathing space.

A fine move by Oxford on the right, was finished with a quality diving header from Adam Chapman on the 76th minute, however Rangers held out to give Macdonald his first win.

Macdonald told the Rangers website after the match: "Pre-season training and friendlies is all about fitness really, but I can't lie to you and say that it may have been a friendly but I'm delighted to have managed Rangers to a win, it was a good match and it could have been won by anyone, glad we gave a run out to some young lads."

View attachment 257764
Kane Hemmings: Hat-trick hero.​

SOUTHEND 3 RANGERS 3

Alexander
Broadfoot (Cole 45)
Perry
Goian
Bocanegra
Bedoya (Ramsey 80)
Hutton
Hegarty
Kerkar
Little (McKay 72)
Healy (Hemmings 45)

It was a fantastic, sunny evening here in Southend as Jamie Macdonald's continued their mini tour of England in this highly exciting friendly.

American midfielder Alejandro Bedoya nodded Rangers in front after a huge pass from Ross Perry found the young Yank in the Southend box on 14 minutes.

Big Romanian defender Dorin Goian made it two in two as he lashed home a Bedoya cross four minutes later and it seemed Rangers were cruising.

However, a dithering Salim Kerkar lost possession to Southend striker Liam Dickinson, whose shot cracked the bar and crossed the line to pull a goal back. Within a minute until half-time, Kirk Broadfoot fouled a Southend winger in the box and the referee immediately pointed to the spot, up stepped Dickinson to slot home and complete Southend's comeback.

Half-time: Southend 2 Rangers 2

Rangers dominated the second half up until the 71st minute, when Liam Dickinson netted his hat-trick when he bulleted a header in from close range.

Macdonald threw on 15 year old winger Darren Ramsey, I don't think the young manager expected the young man who's just left school and isn't 16 until August to win a penalty and score a cool finish in the 93rd minute.

Talking to Rangers.co.uk, the manager said: "I just told the players not to worry, pre-season is fitness based, wins are nice but they aren't the most important thing. Some of our play was very nice though, we will need to polish off the finishing and the defensive work but we've talented players in that department, I'm sure it'll come together."

When asked about what he made of Darren Ramsey: "It was quite incredible, he's an immensely talented lad for his age that's why I decided to take him on this wee trip, I didn't expect him to win and then score a penalty though. I'm very happy for him, it was a fantastic moment."

Ramsey lavished praise on his manager: "I owe Jamie a lot, he's a budding young manager and I'm so glad he's seen faith in me and some of the other young lads. The goal was very emotional for me, but I'm so glad to get that under my belt, friendly or not."

BOURNEMOUTH 1 RANGERS 1

Gallagher
Cole (Perry 45)
Goian (Bocanegra)
Broadfoot
Wilson (Kerkar)
Telfer (Hutton)
Bedoya
Ramsey
Wallace
Little (McKay 79)
Aird (Hemmings 45)

Another friendly draw for Rangers this time in Bournemouth.

Macdonald gave debuts to goalkeeper Scott Gallagher, left back Jordan Wilson and Canadian striker Fraser Aird.

Things started well for Rangers, when Alejandro Bedoya broke into the box and slotted past the Bournemouth goalkeeper in the fourth minute.

Bournemouth striker Wesley Thomas equalised ten minutes before half-time with a fine finish inside the 18 yard box.

The rest of the match wasn't terribly exciting with Rangers having most of the chances.

During his interview with the club website, Macdonald blasted Bournemouth's approach to the match: "They set up to kick our players off the park, it's just a friendly but with some of those tackles flying in from their players you'd think they were fighting for their survival. Some of our players have knocks, thankfully nothing too serious."

View attachment 257765
Alejandro Bedoya: Man of the Match.​

BASINGSTOKE 0 RANGERS 3

Alexander
Perry (Bedoya 45)
Goian
Robinson
Bocanegra
Hutton (MacLeod 55)
Hegarty
Little (K Naismith 45)
McKay
Hemmings
Healy (Aird 72)

Rangers ran out comfortable winners in their final friendly match before a Scottish Challenge Cup match at Ibrox on Saturday against Ayr United.

Young midfielder Kyle Hutton curled past the Basingstoke goalkeeper in the tenth minute of the match.

Ten minutes later, Carlos Bocanegra steamed up the left handside and played a fantastic ball into the box which Barry McKay leaped up to smash a header into the net for 2-0.

Just before half-time, Kane Hemmings smashed a fantastic volley from 12 yards out to make it 3-0.

Jamie Macdonald told Rangers website: "A very nice way to round off our friendly matches, a lot of our players got some time on the pitch over the course of matches and we've scored a few goals against decent opposition. I think we'll be raring to go against Ayr United on Saturday."

Macdonald was then given a cake from the Rangers reporter as he had celebrated his 31st birthday the day before.​

Kirk Broadfoot rejects Blackpool move

Kirk Broadfoot this morning rejected a move to the English Championship with Blackpool after personal details couldn't be resolved.

Blackpool had a £325,000 bid automatically accepted as Rangers are still in the mires of financial problems, but the news that Broadfoot, 27, has rejected a move to Blackpool will have delighted manager Jamie Macdonald.

View attachment 257766
Broadfoot: No to Blackpool​

Rangers manager Macdonald to make official bow

Rangers manager Jamie Macdonald will take charge of his first official match tomorrow 23rd July as Ayr United travel to Ibrox in the first round of the Scottish Challenge Cup, a competition Rangers are entering for the first time in their history. Talking today in the media room at Rangers training ground, which has today been renamed The Walter Smith Training Centre after the legendary manager, Macdonald gave his opinion on a few things.

RANGERS VS AYR UNITED

"I'm very much looking forward to it, Ayr United are in the division below us but I still expect a tough match but I will be expecting a victory from my boys, I am very much looking forward to managing at Ibrox for the first time too. This is also the first time Rangers have ever entered the Scottish Challenge Cup so I will be looking to make some kind of history and win that.

KIRK BROADFOOT REJECTING BLACKPOOL

"I was very happy to hear Kirk had opted to stay here, he's one of the experienced boys still with the club, he played in the UEFA Cup final and has collected a vast array of medals in his four years here, I am a little fearful some players may go though, I cannot lie to you. The receivers have to accept offers if they are good enough and we've a lot of talented players that may have to move if that's the case, I hope not and urge the players to stay here and create history in getting this team back to full strength and to the top of the Scottish game once again."

RENAMING OF THE TRAINING CENTRE

"It's very fitting to have been named after Walter I think, when I was growing up I watched the team he was manager of give us, the fans some wonderful memories, I've played for the man which was a massive honour, and I've worked with the man when I stood in as first-team coach a couple of seasons ago and I feel honoured to call him a friend. It's very well deserved."

View attachment 257864
The Walter Smith Training Centre​

RANGERS 5 AYR UNITED 1

Scottish Challenge Cup first round
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Saturday, July 23rd 2011
Attendance: 41,311

Alexander
Cole (Perry 71)
Goian
Bocanegra
Wallace
Hutton
Bedoya (Mitchell 62)
Little (K Naismith 71)
Kerkar
Hemmings
Healy

Rangers destroyed second division Ayr United in this cup match in front of 41,311 fans who turned up at Ibrox for Jamie Macdonald's first match as manager of the home club, which set a Scottish Challenge Cup record.

Rangers got off to a flyer, with Kane Hemmings beating the goalkeeper with a fine finish from inside the box on his senior debut in the first minute.Two minutes later, Rangers went 2-0 up when Ayr United's Martyn Campbell's passback was latched onto by Rangers striker David Healy, who slid the ball into the bottom right corner.

Healy popped up again in the 10th minute to put Rangers 3-0 up with a very tidy finish from the edge of the area and on easy street, it got better for Rangers when they won the ball straight from Ayr's kick off and Hemmings found his way into their box to make it 4-0.

The rest of the first half, Rangers came close on a few occasions with Lee Wallace going close, and Kyle Hutton smashing the crossbar from range. Martyn Campbell got a goal for Ayr United in the 44th minute when he latched on to a Dorin Goian mistake.

Half-time: Rangers 4 Ayr United 1

The second half was mostly quiet as Rangers kept possession without creating too much, until Ayr player Jamie McKernon was sent off for sliding through the back of young Northern Irish midfielder Andy Mitchell, 23 yards from goal, which David Healy then blasted past the Ayr goalkeeper to make it 5 for Rangers and a hat-trick for the Northern Ireland record goalscorer.

Speaking to the media after the match, Macdonald said: "I am thrilled with an emphatic victory at our home stadium in front of a good crowd. All our players played well today, especially the front two who were awesome. I'm delighted for Kane making his first senior appearance and scoring two goals, and for David notching a hat-trick for Rangers, will have meant a **** of a lot to him as it will to his father, who regularly comes across from Northern Ireland for Rangers matches.

View attachment 257872
David Healy

Jamie Macdonald looking forward to new season

The Scottish 1st division kicks off tomorrow and has generated a lot of buzz about having Rangers in the league for the first time.

"Obviously the circumstances on why we are here should never have happened, but they have and to tell you the truth I'm quite excited, it's a little different."

Rangers kick off their campaign away to Dumbarton, here's what Macdonald had to say: "I'm looking forward to the game, it's a little bit romantic I feel, the old fashioned Scottish football grounds although Dumbarton's is only eleven years old. Our team is ready to start this season with a bang."

View attachment 257885
Where Rangers will kick off their spell in D1, a far cry from Ibrox Stadium

View attachment 257890

DUMBARTON 0 RANGERS 1

Scottish Football League 1st Division
Dumbarton Football Stadium, Dumbarton
Saturday, June 6th 2011
Attendance: 1,497

Alexander
Broadfoot (Perry 88)
Goian
Bocanegra
Wallace
Bedoya
McCulloch
Little (K Naismith 31)
Kerkar
Hemmings (Hutton 72)
Healy

A very windy afternoon in Dumbarton stunted the quality of football today, but it didn't stop Rangers scoring a fine goal in the 27th minute, when a wonderful lofted pass from Rangers captain Carlos Bocanegra was brought down by David Healy, who lashed the ball home for his fourth goal in two games.

Macdonald told the media: "It was horrible conditions for football today, but I am pleased we've managed to start with a win and a clean-sheet."

RANGERS 4 DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC 0

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Saturday, August 13th 2011
Attendance: 49,391

Last season, this clash was a top-tier clash but for different reasons both these clubs find themselves out of Scotland's main division. The first time Ibrox has ever hosted a Division One match and set an attendance record with nearly a full house.

Dorin Goian smashed a header past Paul Gallagher in the Dunfermline goal after an in-swinging Lee Wallace corner inside ten minutes of the match.

Not long after Wallace went close himself when his shot just flew by the goalkeepers right hand post.

Rangers went two up on 25 minutes when Northern Ireland's Andrew Little slotted home from close range. Three minutes later, young midfielder Kyle Hutton made his way into the box and produced a real poachers finish to score his first ever goal for his boyhood heroes.

Half-time: 3-0

After the break, Lee McCulloch who was starting up front had a header cleared off the line by ex Rangers youth Jordan McMillan, Five minutes from time, substitute Kane Hemmings produced a fine finish to complete the rout and send Rangers fans home very happy.

Macdonald said after the game: "I am delighted to win in this manner for our fans and for ourselves, I can't pick fault with any of the areas today, we were awesome in defence, midfield and attack. Some nice goals, and a nice moment for Kyle Hutton netting his first goal here in front of his family."

RANGERS: Alexander, Broadfoot, Goian (Perry), Bocanegra, Wallace, Bedoya, Hutton, Little, Kerkar (Hemmings), Healy, McCulloch. Unused subs: Gallagher, Cole, Hegarty

Man of the Match: Lee Wallace

View attachment 257906
Kyle Hutton: Scored first Rangers goal

Jamie Macdonald's pre match interview ahead of Thistle match

Rangers manager Jamie Macdonald spoke to various media sources at The Walter Smith Centre this morning ahead of the home match with Partick Thistle.

"Hopefully, we can improve and grow on last weeks win and mark an early stamp on this league, we've no injury problems so we've a full squad to choose from and hopefully I could give a few young boys a run out."

When asked about Lee Wallace's impressive form since joining from Hearts, Macdonald replied with: "Yeah, I've always been an admirer of Lee. I tried to talk Walter Smith into signing him a few years back but he suffered a bad injury playing for Scotland not long after that, then Ally signed him and I'm glad I've inherited a fine left back, but the new guys have settled in extremely well on and off the pitch."​

RANGERS 3 PARTICK THISTLE 1

Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Saturday, August 20th 2011
Attendance: 50,101

Two of Scotland's youngest rookie managers went head to head this afternoon, Rangers manager Jamie Macdonald and Partick Thistle's manager Jackie McNamara in an anticipated match in the first division and the home team did not disappoint their fans who turned up.

Rangers captain Carlos Bocanegra scored a fluke of a goal inside the 13th minute, but him, his team-mates, manager and fans didn't care if it was a fluke or not, there was a huge roar that rang around Ibrox when the goal went in.

Half-time: Rangers 1-0 Partick Thistle

When the second half started, Rangers made their way up to the pitch and Lee McCulloch smacked a post with a header which was then cleared by a Thistle player. Young striker Andrew Little made it 2-0 Rangers with an accurate strike into the top corner on 67 minutes.

Partick Thistle midfielder Chris Erskine then gave Partick Thistle a glimmer of hope as he pulled it back to 2-1 with a nice finish just inside the box just before the 74th minute.

Within a minute, Rangers Lee McCulloch smashed a shot towards goal which cracked the upright but went over the line to make it 3-1 to Rangers and give Lee McCulloch his first goal of the season.

RANGERS: Alexander, Cole, Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace (Perry 45), Bedoya, McCulloch, Little, Kerkar, Hemmings, Healy (Hutton 65). Unused subs: Gallagher, Broadfoot, Hegarty

Man of the Match: Alejandro Bedoya

View attachment 257990
Super Lee: Scored a fine goal

Scottish League Cup 3rd Round Draw

The draw for The SLC 3rd round draw was made at Hampden Park earlier today, it drew up some interesting ties including a return to an SPL football ground for Rangers.

Livingston vs. Dundee United
Falkirk vs. Hearts
Forfar Athletic vs. Celtic
Kilmarnock vs. Rangers
Hibernian vs. Ross County
Motherwell vs. Arbroath
Dunfermline Athletic vs. St. Johnstone
Aberdeen vs. Dundee

STV caught up with Rangers manager Jamie Macdonald as he was leaving the national stadium after the draw had been made, he had this to say: "Yeah, I'm very happy to have drawn Kilmarnock. It will be a good test for my young squad to go to a team in the top division and hopefully we can get a result against them."​

hawl get yourself down to the third division !

hawl get yourself down to the third division !
Someone sent me this update last week when the plans for 1st div was brought to the fore, I'd do it myself but I don't have a clue when it comes to the editor lol. I did ask for a 3rd div one but got this one instead.

Someone sent me this update last week when the plans for 1st div was brought to the fore, I'd do it myself but I don't have a clue when it comes to the editor lol. I did ask for a 3rd div one but got this one instead.

it was only a bit of banter mate lol. You're doing well, like the layout, good luck

GREENOCK MORTON 1 RANGERS 1

Cappielow Park, Greenock
Saturday, August 27th 2011
Attendance: 6,934

It was an early top of the table clash on a nice warm day at Greenock as top of the table entertained second placed Rangers.

The first half wasn't a classic half with both teams having chances but unable to finish them off, the only thing worth reporting on was Romanian defender Dorin Goian was taking off with a thigh strain and replaced with 21 year old Ross Perry.

Half-time: Greenock Morton 1-1 Rangers

The second half came into life with Rangers dominating and Bedoya and McCulloch both went close, before Morton took a shock lead when Morton defender Marc Smyth headed past Neil Alexander in the Rangers goal.

Rangers pushed on and on but couldn't find a way to goal either putting chances wide or some inspired goalkeeping from Colin Stewart, who's the son of Rangers goalkeeper coach Jim Stewart.

With five minutes remaining, Perry's long clearance was headed down in the Morton box by Kyle Hutton and Bedoya was there to smash it home to give Rangers a share of the points.

During the post match interview, Macdonald said: "Of course it is disappointing to drop points, but fair play to Morton they never gave up and deserve to be top of the table, we'll get back to winning ways and show why we'll deserve to be top."

RANGERS: Alexander, Cole, Goian (Perry 10), Bocanegra, Wallace, Bedoya, McCulloch, Little, Kerkar (Hutton 45), Hemmings, Healy. Unused subs: Gallagher, Broadfoot, Hegarty

Man of the Match: Alejandro Bedoya

Last edited: