• Replies Replies 31
  • Views Views 7K
RANGERS 2 RAITH ROVERS 2

*RANGERS WIN 4-1 ON PENALTIES*
Scottish Challenge Cup R3
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Wednesday, August 31st 2011
Attendance: 43,510

Two division one teams who are in fine form in the league met tonight in the third round of the Scottish Challenge Cup in which proved to be a good game.

Rangers opened the scoring inside the eleventh minute after fine play from Andrew Little on the right wing, his whipped cross dropped to left back Lee Wallace, who was outside of the eighteen yard box and he lashed the ball into the bottom corner first time.

Lee McCulloch went close twice before half-time but nothing came of those chances.

Half-time: Rangers 1-0 Raith Rovers

Within three minutes of the restart Rangers were two up when US international Alejandro Bedoya curled a shot past the goalkeeper and it seemed Rangers were on easy street.

The game was a bit turgid for the next 12 minutes, until Raith won a corner on sixty minutes which was flung into the box, and defender Douglas Hill smashed a header past Neil Alexander in the Rangers goals.

From that moment Raith found a new life and rattled Rangers for the remainder of the game, Kyle Hutton headed wide at 2-1 which would have buried the game. However, from the resulting goalkick former Dundee United striker Damian Casalinuovo struck past Alexander to make it 2-2 in the 85th minute.

Extra time

Extra time was fairly quiet, the only talking point was Rangers stand in captain Lee McCulloch being sent off for a second booking.

Penalties

Alejandro Bedoya stepped up first for Rangers and slid the ball past Dave McGurn to make it 1-0 in the S.O
Scott McBride's penalty was saved by Neil Alexander.
Rangers defender Kirk Broadfoot was lucky to score his penalty after it bounced off the bar and over the line
Damian Casalinuovo's penalty was saved by Neil Alexander.
Lee Wallace scored his penalty to make it 3-0
Raith defender Douglas Hill had to score to keep Raith in it, he did with Alexander getting a glove to it
Rangers 20 year old midfielder Kyle Hutton blasted his penalty past McGurn for 4-1 and Rangers won the shootout.

Macdonald spoke to BBC after the match: "I'm glad to get through the game as winners, however I'm not happy at losing a 2-0 lead. We'll have to talk about that on Friday when we're back at training.

RANGERS: Alexander, Cole, Perry (Hegarty 56), Broadfoot, Wallace, Bedoya, McCulloch, Little, Kerkar, Hutton, Healy (Hemmings 60) (Mitchell 98)

Man of the Match: Lee Wallace

RANGERS 1 DUNFERMLINE ATHLETIC 2

Scottish Challenge Cup R3 (made a mistake last game)
Ibrox Stadium, Glasgow
Sunday, September 4th 2011
Attendance: 44,321
HT: 0-1

A more youthful Rangers team took to the Ibrox turf today for the 3rd round of the Challenge Cup, a few days after defeating Raith Rovers on penalties in a rearranged 2nd round match.

It was a shaky start from the home team as young right-back Darren Cole was caught dwindling on the ball, which was stolen from him but luckily for him Neil Alexander was there to bail him out of embarrassment.

Dunfermline shocked the crowd at Ibrox by taking the lead on the twenty minute mark, when winger Joe Cardle skipped past a challenge from Rangers young debut maker Jordan Wilson and drilled the ball into the bottom corner.

Rangers should have went into the break at least level, unlucky not to be going in, in the lead after chances were squandered by Barry McKay, Kal Naismith and Kyle Hutton.

Thirteen minutes after the break, things went from bad to worse for Rangers when Dunfermline's journeyman defender Kevin Rutkiewicz slotted home after Rangers players failed to deal with a corner.

The home side started to tire out up until the end of the game, however Ross Perry netted his first senior goal and consolation for Rangers as he powered home a header.

RANGERS: Alexander, Cole, Perry, Broadfoot, Wilson, Hutton, Bedoya (Telfer 83), Little (Ramsey 46), Kerkar, McKay, Naismith. Unused subs: Gallagher, MacLeod, Aird

Man of the Match: Ross Perry

After the match, a disgruntled Rangers manager said: "Yes of course, I'm very disappointed at going out of this competition it's something Rangers have never entered before and we really wanted to win this. However I can't be too angry with the team today, there were a lot of young lads making their debut, we had Chris Hegarty, Carlos Bocanegra, Dorin Goian, Josh Robinson, Lee McCulloch, Lee Wallace, Andrew Mitchell and David Healy away on international duty, so we had to make do with what we had and sadly came up short. We'll be back stronger though!"

RAITH ROVERS 3 RANGERS 5

Scottish Football League 1st Division
Stark's Park, Kirkcaldy
Saturday, September 10th 2011
Attendance: 6,020
HT: 1-1

Jamie Macdonald took his side to Kirkcaldy to play third placed Raith Rovers in a match which was hyped up to be a modern classic and it certainly went down that way.

Raith Rovers upset the apple cart early on in the first half when 31 year old Raith centre back nodded the ball in from a corner inside the tenth minute, that lead didn't last long however as Rangers Romanian bull Dorin Goian netted a very similar goal to the one Raith scored.

The first half consisted of immensely close chances for both teams but nothing came to fruition.

The second half really made up for a dull first half as David Healy struck a fine strike from inside the box to put Rangers 2-1 up. Things went from bad to worse for Raith when a Lee McCulloch strike spun off of young Raith winger Jamie Walker and went in and was awarded as an own goal.

Raith Rovers were given a glimmer of hope when Bobby Linn scored a fine finish after a good team move in the 74th minute. Three minutes later, Alejandro Bedoya brought down Scott McBride in the penalty box, referee Euan Norris pointed at the spot and McBride dusted himself off and smashed the ball past Alexander to complete a remarkable quick turn around by Raith Rovers to make it 3-3.

Rangers fans were starting to get disgruntled with the result and time running out as their team tried hard to get a winner, and with manager Jamie Macdonald urging all out attack from the touchline, Rangers got the goal they were looking for when Lee McCulloch found space in the area and smashed the ball into the goals in the 88th minute. McCulloch didn't stop there when he finished with a fine strike in the second minute of injury time to send Rangers fans, players and coaching staff delirious.

RANGERS: Alexander, Cole (Broadfoot 68), Goian, Bocanegra, Wallace, Bedoya, Hutton (Hegarty 68), Naismith, Kerkar, McCulloch, Healy. Unused subs: Gallagher, Robinson, Perry

View attachment 258358
Man of the Match: Lee McCulloch

Jamie Macdonald: "We seem to have a problem with holding onto leads, I haven't cracked why yet, but we must work together to make sure that it doesn't happen. However, I'm very happy with our attacking play today, I thought we were superb in that sense. We are also happy that this victory has put us top of the table and that's where a Rangers belongs, I hope and will work hard to make sure that's where we remain."​

Nice story mate and a nice touch renaming Murray park after Walter Smith but in my honest opinion when the renaming does happen it should be named after Moses McNeil after all without him his brother and 2 mates there wouldn't have ever been a great institution that is Rangers Football Club

Great story mate keep up the good work and as a fellow gers fan a will be following :)

I know Ian, I did see Moses' name mentioned with the RFFF and Green.

I've actually got a new update with the 3rd division and once I remember how to add that in I'll be starting a new game and story so if I could ask you to follow that one instead lol

Back