Status
Not open for further replies.

I3east

Reaction score

Hughton Madrid bound

ChrisHughton460.jpg

Chris Hughton has returned to the footballing management just days after he was sacked by Newcastle United by signing a two year deal with Athletico Madrid. Hughton got this place because former coach Quique Sánchez Flores retired due to drug use allegations. Flores was allegedly arrested late on Friday night after him and his squad had a party at his villa in Madrid.

villa-tirta-naga_big.jpg

Many people were a bit shocked at the appointment of Hughton after the club were linked with the likes of Frank Rijkaard , Martin O'Neil and Alan Curbishley. Hughton was also said to be 'delighted' at the chance to get back into management so soon after loosing his place at Newcastle. This is what he had to say on his appointment.

I am delighted to be back so soon after unfortunately loosing my job at Newcastle United, i am honored to the job here in Madrid and i promise to do my all for this club. I will try to break the mold at the top of the table between Real Madrid, Barcelona, Sevilla and Valencia, i wan't us to be playing Champions League football next season. I feel sorry for Flores as i was good friends with him and i don't think he would ever of taken any illegal substance but i don't really wan't to talk about it

Chris Hughton has singled out the following players as his key players.

Name: Diego Forlan
Position: Striker
Goalscoring record for Athletico : 66 goals in 107 games
Nationality : Uruguay

Diego-Forlan.jpg

Name: Simao
Position: Midfield
Goalscoring record for Athletico: 16 goals in 99 games
Nationality : Portuguese

n_atletico_de_madrid_simao_sabrosa-88291.jpg

Name: Sergio Aguero
Position: Striker
Goalscoring record for Athletico: 53 goals in 142 games
Nationality : Argentinian

sergio-aguero.jpg

Name: Jose Antiono Reyes
Position: Midfield
Goalscoring record for Athletico: 2 goals in 62 games
Nationality : Spanish

22347_news.jpg

---------- Post added at 05:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:36 AM ----------

Any followers ?

we should of never got rid of hughton.

Hughton cashes in

Rivaldo_jpg.jpg

Rivaldo in action for Brazil

The first of Hughton's transfers was of 37 year old Brazilian legend Rivaldo who joined on a free transfer. Athletico had to battle with his favoured club Santos but they got the deal wrapped up in just 5 days.

robert-pires-1.jpg

Pires in his Villarreal days

Hughton's second transfer since joining Athletico was Robert Pires who joined on a two year deal. Pires was a free transfer before Hughton signed him.

48498.gif

Roberto Carlos playing for Athletico's rivals Real Madrid

Hughton's third signing was another Brazilian by the name of Roberto Carlos, the former Real Madrid player joined for £1,200,000 from Corinthians.

NEWS_1221828474_enzo_maresca.jpg

Maresca in action for old club Sevilla

Hughton has also signed Enzo Maresca on a free transfer. The former Sevilla midfielder will be a key player for Hughton in the holding midfielder role.

Oguchi-Onyewu-AC-Milan-and-USA.jpg

Onyewu will be a key player for Hughton this campaign

Hughton also has signed Oguchi Onyemu from A.C Milan for £1,700,000. Onyewu was said to be 'delighted' to be joining Athletico Madrid.

sergio-araujo-514.jpg

Arauujo has 11 goals in 21 Argentina U-19 caps

Hughton has also gone for youth by signing Marco Verratti, Sergio Araujo, Vaclav Kadlec and Yassine El Ghanassy.

Pre Season

Wehen 0-4 Athletico Madrid - Aguero x2 , Carlos, Godin
Rayo 0-5 Athletico Madrid - Aguero x3 , Reyes, Araujo
Athletico Madrid 2-0 Newcastle United - Forlan , Reyes
Bilbao Ath. 0-6 Atletico Madrid - Forlan x4 , Eraso (O.G) , Merida
Amoros 0-3 Athletico Madrid - Collado , Molinero , Tony
Modena 0-3 Athletico Madrid - Aguero x2, Forlan

This is what Hughton had to say on his pre season and signings

I am very pleased with my signings, i managed to get some valuable experience into the club but at the same time manage to get some top youth players a. As for our Pre season i am delighted, we scored 23 goals and conceded none. It was an emotional return to Newcastle but ii wanted to win the game really bad and we did and that made my day. I would also like to announce that Sergio Aguero has won the player of the month award after scoring 7 goals in 5 games.

sergio_aguero1.jpg

Aguero wins the player of the month award after scoring 7 goals in 5 games.

Last edited:
Although I think it's unrealistic for him to get the job, I'll follow this. What happened with the spurs story? Decent signings and nice layout mate. Good luck

Although I think it's unrealistic for him to get the job, I'll follow this. What happened with the spurs story? Decent signings and nice layout mate. Good luck

Yeah i suppose but i thought that he could take it so it is more of a challenge to prove to everyone he can manage at the top level :) And my saved game corrupted .

---------- Post added at 02:09 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:28 PM ----------

UEFA Super Cup

Paulo+Assuncao+Inter+Milan+v+Atletico+Madrid+6xDcWl3ChkMl.jpg

It looked to be one of those games where nothing goes your way for Athletico Madrid today as Samuel Etoo put Inter 1-0 up after only three minutes on the clock. Things then got worse as in the 21st minute Diego Milito doubled Inter's lead with a neat finish. In the 33rd minute things got better for Athletico Madrid as Aguero was brought down in the area, Forlan stepped up to make it 2-1 from the spot. In the 51st minute Forlan brought it back to 2-2 with a superb strike. Athletico got carried away though and Inter caught them on the break and Goran Pandev scored. After that goal went in Athletico never got back into the game and in the 74th minute when Javier Zanetti netted to make the score 4-3 Inter.

Chris Hughton said:
I was pleased with our performance today but i think we could of done better. We did well to bring it back from being 2-0 down and then we just got too carried away and ended up losing the game. We do have some positives from the game though and i will look to build on them going into our next game

Last edited:
Nice story mate good luck with it ;), pity about your last one, Btw Losing only has one O init :p ;)

Nice opening to the story pal, I like your wheeler dealer approach, good luck with this and Keep it up .

September Update
Perfect start for Hughton

2ee0740e-ac67-45e1-bb10-9451a35cc722_1224182615527-AtleticoVicente-Calderon.jpg

Athletico Madrid 3-0 Sporting

simao_1013850c.jpg

Athletico were off to a dream start after Aguero netted after just 26 seconds which was a new club record for the fastest goal. Diego Forlan doubled Athletico's lead on the 65 minute mark after a one-two with Aguero and then he passed it into the net. Simao wrapped up the three points with a 25 yard free kick what rattled the bar and bounced over the line.

Athletic Club 2-2 Athletico Madrid

Fernando-Llorente.jpg

Hughton's second game in charge was a tricky game away at Athletic Club, Oguchi Onyewu put Athletico 1-0 up after 8 minutes when he met a Simao corner. Fernando Llorente equilised for Athletic when Onyewu and Godin got mixed upo and that lead to Llorente captialising and scoring. In the 55th minute Forlan had a chance to put Athletico 2-1 up from the spot but he missed the kick after hitting the bar. Markel Susaeta scored for Athletic in the 63rd minute after gettion on the end of a superb cross from Llorente. Diego Forlan redeemed his self after missing the penalty as in the 69th minute he rounded the keeper to make it 2-2.

Athletico Madrid 3-2 Braga (Europa League)

diego-forlan_74007.jpg

Athletico Madrid got there Europa League campaign under way against Braga when they ran out 3-2 winners in a thrilling game. Diego Forlan scored in the 26th minute from just outside the area. Antonio Campos scored for Braga in a goal line scrap in the 33rd minute. Diego Forlan then scored his second of the day when he rounded the keeper and tapped the ball in. Simao then added to his tally for the season with yet another free kick. Lima scored a consolation for Braga in the 72nd minute but the score remained 3-2.

Athletico Madrid 3-2 Barcelona

aguero.jpg

Today was Hughton's biggest game so far since joining Athletico. Hughton must have really rallied his team up for this game as they played well from the start, Sergio Aguero put Athletico 1-0 up after 2 minutes with a cool finish. David Villa replied in the 40th minute with a superb strike. Aguero then scored another to put Athletico 2-1 up in the 56th minute, Simao then put Athletico 3-1 ip from open play as Rivaldo switched the ball well and Simao smashed the ball past Valdes. Carlos Puyol gave Athletico a late scare when he met a Messi corner to make it 3-2 but Athletico held on to secure the three points.

Valencia 1-3 Atheltico Madrid

Jose-Antonio-Reyes-wallpaper-30-610x442.jpg

Just three days after defeating Barcelona, Athletico had Valencia trying to stop their fine form, and
they failed to do so after loosing 3-1. Diego Forlan gave Athletico an early leaf after scoring a 30 yard effort in the 11th minute. Jose Antonio Reyes doubled Athletico's lead when he met a Aguero cross and tapped the ball in. After only 30 minutes Simao made it 3-0 with his third free kick of the season. It took Valencia until the 56th minute to see a sight of goal and they took there chance, Artiz Aduriz met a Roberto Soldado corner and headed the ball in.

Athletico Madrid 4-1 Zaragoza

541802.jpg

Hughton's team carried on their fine form today, defeating Zaragoza 4 goals to 1. Diego Forlan scored once again in the 23rd minute to put the pressure on Zaragoza to respond, they didn't and Aguero scored in the 37th minute to make it 2-0. Vaclav Kadlec scored on his debut with a good goal after he turned two defenders and smashed the ball past the keeper. Gabi did pull a goal back in the 67th minute but then in stoppage time Tiago secured the win with a goal that won goal of the week.

Metalist 1-2 Athletico Madrid

154200902217b.jpg

Hughton and his squad had to travel to Metalist to play their second Europa League game, with nothing happening in the first half, both teams looked up for it in the second half .Athletico were first to score when Jose Antonio Reyes scored from the spot. Olexandr Romanchuk pulled a goal back for Metalist in the 70th minute. Everything was looking to head towards a draw until a moment of magic from Marco Verratti took on two players before smashing the ball into the roof of the net.

Resluts
1puhcz.png

League Table
20gkwuq.png

Great start pal, keep up the great work!

Can we get an insight to the formation and mentality that hughton is playing. Maybe some player stats also to see who is firing and who is not?

October Update
Hughton's fine form continues...

Sevilla 0-2 Athletico Madrid

luis-fabiano_1622145c.jpg

Hughton's first game of October was a tricky away game at Sevilla, Fernando Navarro scored an own goal in the 14th minute to put Athletico 1 up. Jose Antonio Reyes doubled Athletico's lead in the 34th minute with a header from a Roberto Carlos cross . Sevilla pushed for a goal but it wasn't their day as Fabiano his the bar on two occasions late on in the game.

Athletico Madrid 1-0 Getafe

610x.jpg

Next up for Athletico was table leaders Getafe, The only goal in the game came in the 43rd minute of the game when Aguero tapped in from close range after a Simao shot.

Athletico Madrid 4-0 Red Star Belgrade (Europa League Group Stage)

images%5Cpictures%5Cplayers%5Csimao-sabrosa.jpg

Athletico Madrid's Europa Leagu campaign carried on today against Red Star Belgrade. Red Star lost a player early on through injury and that was key to Athletico winning the game as in the 34th minute Aguero opened the scoring. Simao scored another free kick in the 53rd minute to put Athletico 2-0 up. Marco Verratti come on at half-time and in the 73rd minute he got brought down in the area, penalty. Verratti stepped up and scored. In the 82nd minute Athletico got another penalty this time Simao stepped up and scored.

Athletico Madrid 2-2 Villarreal

article-0-052666D1000005DC-685_468x455.jpg

Athletico looked to of met their match today though, Villarreal were their opponents. Nicki Bille Nielsen put Villarreal 1-0 up after he met a Rossi corner after 8 minutes. Sergio Aguero has been unstoppable this month and he added to his tally once more on the 13 minute mark with a cool finish. Diego Forlan put Athletico 2-1 up in the 18th minute with a header but Marco Reus popped up in the 74th minute to equalise for Villarreal.

Murcia 0-3 Athletico Madrid (Spanish cup 4th round leg one)

diego-costa.jpg

Murcia were looking to turn into giant killers in todays game but exactly the opposite happened. Diego Forlan opened the scoring in the 36th minute after a neat one-two with Simao. Diego Costa started his first game of the season in todays win and he got his name on the score sheet with a powerful effort in the 57th minute. Roberto Carlos showed why he should take free kicks when he rocketed one in from 30+ yards in the 89th minute.

Athletico Madrid 2-1 Almeria

28hc7b4d3rgt.jpg

If Almeria were to get the three points today they would top the table. Sergio Aguero scored his 8th goal of the season on the 13 minute mark with a lovely chip from 18 yards. Albert Crusat equalised for Almeria in the 47th minute when he met a corner. Roberto Carlos scored another goal today when he took on Almeria's right back and curled the ball past the keeper.

Results
smwr6b.png

League Table
2czouww.png

Great start to the season, well done!
Keep up the good work, l like the layout ;)

Great start to the season, well done!
Keep up the good work, l like the layout ;)

Cheers mate.

---------- Post added at 01:30 AM ---------- Previous post was yesterday at 11:19 PM ----------

November Update
Are Athletico title contenders ?

images

Will Forlan have his hands on the Pichici trophy at the end of the year ?

Red Star Belgrade 1-2 Athletico Madrid (Europa League Group Stage)

forlan-1.jpg

Athletico started as the better side in todays game when Diego Forlan scored in the 2nd minute after a lovely pass from Pires set him up. Simao doubled Athletico's lead in the 44th minute when he cut inside off of the right wing and curled in a magnificent shot. Dejan Muratovic scored in the 58th minute but that was nothing more than a consolation goal.

Real Madrid 2-1 Athletico Madrid

Real+Madrid+v+Athletic+Bilbao+La+Liga+BUyd8t6LWfIl.jpg

Hughton's biggest game so far was against Real Madrid where he was looking to claim all three points but only a super second half performance from Higuain stopped him from doing so. Sergio Aguero put Athletico 1-0 up after 15 minutes when he rounded two defenders and chipped the keeper. In the 68th minute Gonzalo Higuain equalised when Ronaldo's shot was deflected straight to him. Higuain then scored in the 76th minute to wrap up the three points for Real when he placed the ball past De Gea.

Athletico Madrid 4-0 Murcia (Spanish Cup 4th Round 2nd Leg)

vaclav+kadlec.jpg

Athletico bounced back from their midweek loss to rivals Real Madrid in style. Rivaldo opened the scoring after he met a Verratti cross to claim his first goal since joining the club. Vaclav Kadlec then doubled Athletico's advantage in the 17th minute when he took on a defender and slipped the ball past the keeper. Fran Merida then got his name on the score sheet in the 40th minute when he met a Kadlec cross. Kadlec scored his second of the game in the 45th minute in a similar fashion to his first.

Athletico Madrid 3-1 Osasuna

pefog11.JPG~C

Athletico continued their fine form today against Osasuna, Sergio Aguero scored Athletico's first in the 31st minute after a neat one-two with Simao. Marco Verratti joined the action at half-time and in the 57th minute he got himself a goal from 18 yards out. Oguchi Onyewu put Athletico 3 up after he scored from a corner, Walter Pandiani scored in the 69th minute but Athletico held on to claim three points.

Real Sociedad 2-3 Athletico Madrid

masdrid2010_02.jpg

Athletico carried on their fine goalscoring form against Sociedad, Mikel Gonzalez brought down Aguero in the area in the 11th minute which resulted in him giving away a penalty and seeing red, Robert Pires stepped up and scored. In the 46th minute David Zurutuza scored from a in swinging corner kick. Fran Merida scored in the 64th minute to put Athletico back in control, but in the 73rd minute Xabi Prieto equalised and it took a 76th minute shot from Simao to secure the win.

Athletico Madrid 3-3 Espanyol

aguero-new415.jpg

Sergio Garcia gave Espanyol the lead in the 11th minute after a mistake from De Gea gifted him the goal. Athletico replied through Aguero in the 22nd minute when he scored a diving header. Luis Garcia put Espanyol back in the driving seat in the 37th minute with a lovely struck free kick. Diego Forlan scored in the 40th minute to equalise but in stoppage time Sergio Garcia struck again to put Espanyol in the lead going into half-time. It was down to Simao again to rescue Athletico as he scored in the 86th minute to get the point.

Results
30wv3fc.png

League Table
deqj3t.png

It seems that you are getting the best out of Simao, well done mate. Also scoring a lot of goals, shame about the loss to Real

Status
Not open for further replies.