A Nigerian's Journey. - An FM19 Story

• Thread starter Michael Onwuegbu
  • Start date
  • Replies 61
  • Views 4K

Kidderminster have offered me the job, stay or go?

• Stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Go

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So in case you haven't seen the poll I put up, Kidderminster have offered me a contract. I have saved at the point they offered it to me as I want my readers to decide. I will post a copy of the National league table for you to see.

league table.png
Kidder offer.png

The poll has closed and the results are in. I have moved 353 miles from Castlederg and we have arrived at my new club.....
article.png

I've done it. I'm finally the manager of a PROFESSIONAL football team. Kidderminster Harriers FC in the National League. I am at Aggborough my new home with a capacity of 7500. Although our average attendance is 1700. We are currently just 3 points away from safety in the National League. I have a 3-year plan to get into the football league but now it's time to meet my players and staff. I told the boys we need to avoid relegation this year, and although they agree, there's a few players who think I'm a bad appointment for the club. I don't care. Anyone not committed to playing for me at this club will be out the door. I think I was guilty of approaching things a little naively at Dergview, but I've matured since then and I won't make such mistakes here. The amount of money we have is unlike anything Dergview offered me. The squad, the finances, the league, I don't see any negatives to making this jump. In terms of the squad, there is one player that stands out from the rest of the pack. Our best winger and overall player Liandro Martis
Liandro.png

He is currently injured for the next 2 weeks, but I have high hopes for him. Let's take a look at the rest of the squad.
da boys.png

When it comes to transfers I would like to find a new goalkeeper because from what I've seen he looks shaky in goal. My first game in charge will be in the FA cup 1st round against Luton from League 1. It would be a big ask to win it but it's doable if we play the way I hope we can.
KIDDERMINSTER VS LUTON
FA.png

As for tactics I have changed completely from how I had Dergview playing. I have set us up in a 433. I aim to move the ball around quickly. In Dergview I was modelling us after Simeone's Atletico whereas here I'm thinking more Total Football or at least a less technical Man City. We start off well and put the pressure on Luton early on and it wasn't long before we went ahead through our striker Joe Ironside. 1-0 to Kidderminster. But it wasn't long before we capitulated and the difference in class became clear. They scored 3 goals without reply and we even had a man sent off. All 3 goals came through Premier League loanees which shows the gulf in quality between us and them. Despite us being knocked out of the FA cup I am not displeased with the performance. If we can keep playing like that in the league then I don't think we'll go down. Emphasis on THINK.

Well done mate! Finally at a professional club, the journey to greatness begins now, start climbing those leagues mate ;)

NOVEMBER REVIEW
It was time for me to turn my focus to keeping us in the division and that task would begin away at Solihull Moors. I decided to test a 442 more similar to Alex Ferguson's 442.
Beginnings.png

Not good enough. We've been decent in attack, but we lack solidity at the back and I'm already looking at a few goalkeepers and holding midfielders to provide said solidity. I could already hear the fans shouting, "You don't know what you're doing!" and "Sacked in the morning", and it is up to me to silence them. We need a significant upturn in form starting next month if we're going to stay up.

LEAGUE TABLE
League.png

As you can see we have a game in hand and should we win it we'll get out of the relegation zone. My next update will hopefully include a few signings as well as the December update. I'm having doubts about the tactical approach I went with but I'll see how it goes.

So we are now through to December as we attempt to make a statement of our intent and get out of the relegation zone. This month was make or break time for me. I knew I had to improve or I'd get Sam Allardyce'd. Sorry I mean sacked. But we are in December and here are the results....
Decembeerr.png

"Tactical Fraud Okezie Onwuegbu fails to deceive in England" read the local news. "He came to Kidderminster on the basis of a promotion in Northern Ireland, but it has been proven that he is not good enough to do it in the National League". The media are attacking me and I can't blame them. I haven't proven that I'm worth my salt and I think I need to revamp my tactics. I have made a few signings to improve the side. I brought in a new goalkeeper then I signed the hero from my promotion season at Dergview, MATTHEW KIRK!!!
Kirk.png

Following our 4-1 loss to Cambridge our top scorer Joe Ironside who has 10 goals has been injured for the next 8-10 months, which means I need to find a new striker AND fix our form. No pressure eh? Not to mention getting us out of the relegation zone.
Legg.png

Edit: My laptop has crashed and I thought I lost today's progress but the only change is I did not lose 4-1 to Cambridge. Sorry! Instead the result was 2-2 so the leagu table is the same except that we are on 23 points instead of 22.

Last edited:
Right so we are now in the month of January and it is up to me to improve our form as we are still winless since I arrived at the club. I have been trying out three formations, the 433, the 442 and a 532. I think I prefer the 442 but we'll see what works. Being out of all the cups, we only have 3 games to play this month and here are the results....
JANUARY RESULTS
Janu.png

Well it took a while but we have finally won a game. I'm not too thrilled as we are still four points from safety but things are looking brighter and I'd like to point out that in those three games Matthew Kirk has notched three goals and an assist! Not bad at all. If we can keep this up then I'm very confident we can stay up. I was really disappointed to get knocked out of both cups but it seems it has allowed us to shift our focus to staying up.

Leagu of j.png

Attachments

• League.png
    League.png
    90.4 KB · Views: 52
NEW SIGNING ALERT!
We have brought in another new midfielder all the way from West Brom on a free, please welcome Zak Brown!
Zak.png

FEBRUARY

Febbb.png

We are playing badly and I don't know what it is. We just haven't been able to get off the ground since I arrived and nothing I've done has changed that. In fact the players have made it clear they don't want me hear. A couple of them came into my office to let me know that they think it's best if I leave and with the way things are going that's a genuine option
Disaster.png

Mutiny.png
Bad news.png

Last edited:
Joe Ironside has started a rebellion at the club and now everyone is questioning my position. It would take great effort to turn our form around and stay up, but with it seeming like I've lost the dressing room already I'd be very lucky to survive the season with my job intact. I don't want to get sacked, as that would decimate my already minimal reputation so if the season ends with me still in charge and the players still upset, I'll jump before I am pushed.

Alright the board have called me in for a meeting. They have informed me that if I can't get 7 points in the next 5 games, I'm sacked. Well I hope I can do it and here is the March review....
MARCH REVIEW
Salvation.png

We've done it. I've dragged these boys all the way out of the relegation zone. It's been a miraculous recovery for us and the board are very pleased with the way I've turned things around. Some of the squad still don't trust me but I'm ecstatic with our upturn in form. I just hope it will be enough to earn me a new contract.

Hallelujah.png

Ahh, sweet sweet safety. We only have 5 more games left before we can call it a season and the board have let me know they'll be offering me a new contract soon. I hate for this to come back to bite me but what could possibly go wrong?

SEASON FINALE
Alright we've come a long way, and we now have 5 games left to do it. With only one game in May I decided to just combine April and May for one post. Here we go. I signed a new contract at the end of last month and I have also completed my National A License meaning I am one step closer to a Continental Pro License. We now need to just see through our season. Here we go...
season finale.png

Despite this poor form, we have just about kept ourselves up. I am honestly disappointed with how we have finished the season. The boys still don't have faith in me as their manager despite me keeping them up, but with my new contract even if I leave I am still going to be happy but enough of that. Let's review the season

final league.png

review.png

awards.png

I wasn't actually invited to the team award ceremony thanks to the fact I'm not actually on speaking terms with 90% of the squad but still. Absolute shambles this is.
So what exactly is next? Well my plan is to build on this season and at least be competitive in mid-table. But if other clubs come calling I COULD be tempted due to the hatred that seems to exist for me in the locker room. However I don't really know what I want to do this summer anyhow but I don't think the players will be happy to see me come pre-season.

Hey guys, I've decided to take a break from the save. I don't know how long it will last but when I do know I'll make sure to tell you.

Well done for keeping them up mate! Was really enjoying this, hoping you come back to this save as you could now build Kidderminster into title contenders.

Well done for keeping them up mate! Was really enjoying this, hoping you come back to this save as you could now build Kidderminster into title contenders.
Thanks mate! I'm just trying to take a break to focus on some work but I'll post again as soon as I'm done.