tiraths

Saving the World
Reaction score
The User Interface is a lot different from the FM09 editor, which can make it difficult to do whatever you want to do with the editor. Even if you were a master with the old editor, it is likely you will find some areas of the new one difficult to use if you are trying it out for the first time.

Basic Commands
How to open the editor, load a database, save changes and change settings

Firstly, you need to open the Editor. This can be found in the following locations.

If you installed or activated using Steam - C:\Program Files\Steam\Steamapps\Common\Football Manager 2009\Tools\

If you didn’t use Steam at all - C: > Program Files > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > tools > editor > editor.exe

When you have found the editor, it is a good idea to make a link to the editor either on your desktop or start menu. This ensures you won't have to go through the C: every time you want to find it.

Double click on the editor icon to open it up, and you will find that you won't be able to do anything.

To make the editor functional, go to the File icon in the top left corner. Then go to the second bottom option (Load Database...), which should be just above Exit. This will load the latest database that you have avalible to you.

If you would like to load a custom database that you have made or downloaded, again go to File but this time choose the top option - Load Editor Data.... Choose the custom database you would like to load, and press the Select Button.

After you have made the changes you wanted to, you will need to save your changes. If you want to overwrite the old file (if there is one) then choose 'Save Editor Data'. However if you want to give your file a new name, choose 'Save Editor Data As'.

To change the settings for the database editor, use the 'Settings' button at the top. This will allow you to change Currency, Language and Display Options.

Searching

How to search for something in the database

Near the top left corner there is a box entitled 'Menu'. On this, select 'Database'. On the left side of the screen you should now have another box, this one entitled 'Database'. This will contain a list of everything in the database, and will start with Awards and end with Weather.

Click on the word that is relevant to what you want to search, and the largest box on the screen should change its title to whatever you just selected. Now simply type what you want to search for in the Search Box and the results will appear. Please note that you will have to spell what you are looking for correctly, so the editor knows where to search. You do not need to put accents into search boxes.

Editing the database
How to add something new, edit, copy or delete something from the database

Like if you were searching for something, you have to select 'Database' on the top left box. You then select whatever you want to create something new of (such as People) and the main box on the page should change its title to whatever you have just selected.

From here, you will have to use the buttons in the bottom right corner. Not all of the buttons will be avalible on every page.

'Add' should be used when you want to add something new into the database. Pressing this button will take you to a screen where you can add in information about what you want to add to the database. Complete all of the required fields to add what you want into the database.

'Edit' is for when you want to change something that already exists in the database. After you have searched and the results have appeared, you can click once on the name of what you want to edit and it will be highlighted green. When this happens you can select the 'Edit' button and it will take you to the page where you can edit what you want.

'Duplicate' is to be used if you want to copy something from the editor. If, for example, you wanted to make a second Arsenal team, you could do a search for Arsenal, click once so it was highlighted green, then press 'Duplicate'. This would create an exact replica of the Arsenal team.

'Remove' is a simple one - once you have searched for whatever you want to delete, you click on whatever you want to delete until it is highlighted green. Clicking the 'Remove' button will delete this from the database you are editing.

Adding a new Nation or League
Adding a new competition into a country

When you have loaded up the editor, there will be two boxes down the left of the page. One is entitled 'Menu', the other 'Database'. Between these are two boxes, 'Recent Database Records' and 'Add Nation Rules'.

To add in a new competition, you need to select the 'Add Nation Rules' box.This will bring up a pop-up box which allows you to add a new competition in.

Firstly you will have to select the country you want to make a new competition for. If the country you want to make a new competition for is already playable, it can be found in 'Current Nations'. If it is not yet playable then 'Other Nations' is where you will find it.

You then have the choice of what you want to make. If you are planning on simply adding in a lower division or adding a new competition to a league system that is already there, select 'Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure'. If you want to completely redo the league system in a country select 'Create New Competition And Rules'. If you are planning on creating a competition for a currently unplayable nation, selecting 'Create New Competitions and Rules' will be your only option.

'Add Lower Divisions And Cups To Existing Structure'

Leagues

In the bottom left box on the page, you will see a list of some of the competitions. On the Leagues part, the top leagues will already be playable and the bottom one will not be playable. To make the bottom league active, you need to double click on it. This will bring up information on the league in the main box.

The top information box will be the name of the league, and the second information box will be a tick box asking if the league contains Sub Divisions or not. The third box - 'Type' - is the one you will have to change. Currently the field will say 'Inactive Division'. To make this active, simply change that to 'League' via the drop down box.

You will then need to make any changes you want to the league structure, such as dates, prize money, TV Money and Fixture Rules.

Sometimes you will want to add yet another league, one that isn't viewable on the left hand box. To get the option to add a new league, click on the 'Leagues' heading in the bottom left box. This will bring up a list of the currently active leagues (and the one at the bottom that you may have just activated. Select the 'Add' button from the bottom right hand corner to add in a new league.

In most countries, lower league's are regional. An example of this is the Blue Square North and Blue Square South in England. When adding a regional tier into the editor, you will need to set it boundaries. These make sure that you won't find southern teams getting promoted or relegated into a northern division. To set boundaries, you need to set four cities that you want to set as the boundaries for that certain league. Make sure that the leagues you set as boundaries have longitudes and latitudes set. If they don't, you can enter them yourself.

Cups

Unfortunately, when adding in a cup, you have to use an existing structure. Click on the 'Cups' heading in the bottom left box to bring up a list of all active cup competitions in that particular nation. Use the 'Add' button to start the process of adding in a new cup competition.

You will get to choose what type of cup you want to add in. Selecting 'FA Cup' will make your new competition the main cup competition in the country, and the winner qualifies for the continental club competition. 'Super Cup' is to make a cup between two competition winners, much like the Euro Super Cup or the Community Shield. 'Other Cup' will make a cup that runs without anything special at the end and for no real reason, similar to the League Cup (Carling Cup) in England.

You will then have to select the competition format, and you get to choose from the currently existing formats already in place in the country. Picking the teams comes next. To make it two teams from one paticular division, select 'Add' and choose how many players from one division you want to add in. If you want all teams to compete, select all leagues and select the amount of teams per division as the amount of teams in each division. This will ensure every team gets the chance.

Lastly, you need to set the rules such as 'Number of Legs' and 'Sub Rules'. When this is done, press 'Add Competition' and you are done!

'Create New Competitions and Rules'

Firstly, select the country that you want your new league to be in.

IMPORTANT - selecting a country that already has a playable league will overwrite those existing leagues, so you won't be able to play in them on this database.

When you have selected the country, you will need to choose the settings for your new league. These include the day the league table resets and the season start and end dates. Pressing 'Confirm' will take you to the main page of your new competition page. To make any more changes, use the main box to edit whatever else you want to apply for the whole country.

From here, simply follow the steps from 'Add Lower Divisions and Cups To Existing Structure' and click on the 'Leagues' tab. This will allow you to make a new league or cup system for your country.

Files

Once you have made all the changes you want to make and saved the database, you will be able to find the file you have created in the following location;

PC – My Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

MAC – Documents > Sports Interactive > Football Manager 2010 > editor data

You will find that there are two files in here (although there may be more depending on how many times you have created a new change).

One will be ‘config.xml’, and this is what makes the files work and this must stay in the folder. The other(s) will be your created files which can be deleted if you don't want/need them anymore.

Im sure more advanced guides will come out soon, but this is just to help people (like me) who can't get to grips with the basic commands of the editor.

Information from Football Manager Wiki

I will Sticky this,Hopefully it will help the many people wanting editing help.

hi, thanks for this guide. but ive done everything correct and it worked when i first had the game. But now im trying to put liverpool transfer budget up but when i go back into the game it doesnt let me choose a new database just loads a new game up. Any ideas?

Thanks

hi, thanks for this guide. but ive done everything correct and it worked when i first had the game. But now im trying to put liverpool transfer budget up but when i go back into the game it doesnt let me choose a new database just loads a new game up. Any ideas?

Thanks

Same with me

Did you two overwrite the config.xml file in the editor data folder?

Hi, i have tried for the life of me to load my data onto a new game but all the different ways iv seen on forums just aren't working??? do you have your data on a game if so how did you do it.

also if you could send screen shots of the screens that would be great??!!

Hi, i have tried for the life of me to load my data onto a new game but all the different ways iv seen on forums just aren't working??? do you have your data on a game if so how did you do it.

also if you could send screen shots of the screens that would be great??!!

im having the exact same problem and im following what the forums say excactly as they say.

:S frustrating

Can you tell me what " Merge Editor Data (Database Changes Only..) " option means?

what does this do ??

Can you tell me what " Merge Editor Data (Database Changes Only..) " option means?

what does this do ??

I found this explanation on a different forum, i can't understand much of it myself so Ill give it all to you to judge for yourself

To actually get your data working in editor mode, yes you need to merge the files of your new database with the original. Load the original and edit it then merge it,IT MAY WIPE YOUR CHANGES WHEN YOU MERGE SO JUST MAKE 1 SMALL CHANGE !!! This is the only way I could get it to work by merging it you shouldn't have to merge as it clears the files after merging. Once merged make all the changes you wan't, then save the EDITOR data DO NOT MERGE AGAIN!!!!it should now work fine. It did for me. Remember when you go back to it to edit another time, load database then load editor data DONT merge again otherwise all changes will be lost as I have found out!!LOL:)

I've follwed the instructions on where to find the data editor when activated through steam but every time i try to losad it, it won't load and the screen goes black like its trying to but then nothing happens when i click it again it says already running. am i missing something

cheers please help driving me made

I've follwed the instructions on where to find the data editor when activated through steam but every time i try to losad it, it won't load and the screen goes black like its trying to but then nothing happens when i click it again it says already running. am i missing something

cheers please help driving me made

maybe your PC isnt good enough to handle the data editor? Does the black screen come up when you load the database or the actual program?

hey thnxs for this
off topic:
im stuck i dnt know how to create my own thread and no-one has told me please help

hey thnxs for this
off topic:
im stuck i dnt know how to create my own thread and no-one has told me please help

go on the section you want to create it and then press "Post New Thread"

this new editor is loads different to the one in previous versions, i cant seem to work it properly at all. All i wanted to do was to set all staff and all players to free but i cant seem to work out how to do it =( any help would be much appriciated. Thanks

How would I go about adding new cup competitions? The editor only seems to let you alter existing cups, rather than add new ones.

im dissapointed that you cant release all players in this one like you could in 09 :(