A Tale of Two Brothers - A Player Story

Hey. I have a question which I hope someone can answer. I've simmed a lot in this (another update coming in a few hours :)) and one of the brothers has retired from playing football. However, he's kinda just not in the game anymore. Like, I can't click on his name or anything even though in the editor I set it so when he retired his preferred job role was a 20 on manager. Can anyone explain why I can't click on him and see his information?

I'm really enjoying these kind of stories. Keep up the good work :)

Hey. I have a question which I hope someone can answer. I've simmed a lot in this (another update coming in a few hours :)) and one of the brothers has retired from playing football. However, he's kinda just not in the game anymore. Like, I can't click on his name or anything even though in the editor I set it so when he retired his preferred job role was a 20 on manager. Can anyone explain why I can't click on him and see his information?

I think that happens when a player retires and doesn't continue after football, you can't view a profile because they will no longer affect the game, so unless you have a backup then he's gone for good :(

I think that happens when a player retires and doesn't continue after football, you can't view a profile because they will no longer affect the game, so unless you have a backup then he's gone for good :(

Well, sucks he didn't continue into management. Luckily I have two players in this story and the second one is still playing :)

Season 4

Matthew

View attachment 276769

View attachment 276770

Story
Another season stuck in the youth teams, but a fantastic season in them. How can I complain really? 64 starts in the youth teams and 46 goals. It just proves that I'm ready for the next step. Maybe I'm not ready to move into the senior team at Stoke yet, but I am definitely ready to go out on loan to a lower league club and get a good season of first team experience.

But overall, it's been a good year. I've finally started to settle in Stoke. Thanks to my new contract at the end of last season I've moved out of Mame Diouf's house and started to rent a flat. I've also started to become really good friends with some of the lads in the youth teams and started to really enjoy life in Stoke. I'm hoping that I continue to improve as a footballer and I just can't wait for the next season.

Nick

View attachment 276766

View attachment 276768

Story
Another year, another mediocre season at Stockport County. I love the club and it's my home, but I want to go further in my career. Even if it was a move up to League 2 I'd be delighted. However, no such move has materialized and, to be completely honest, I haven't played the level of football to give a team at a higher level the reason to try and sign me.

I've started to come to term's with the fact I could be at Stockport for my whole career, and it's not all bad. I love the club and I love the fans who are always so supportive. And life isn't bad, not by a long stretch. At the end of the season I got a new contract, bought a house and proposed to my girlfriend. So life is looking good, despite the stagnation of my development as a footballer.

View attachment 276767

(There we go, season 4 done. I gave Nick a nice little reason to be happy, since his career isn't going anywhere :D, in life and just added a bit of real life stuff to him rather than just focusing on the football. I'll probably try and do that in future and try and add some real life story into it, but obviously the main focus will still be their progression as footballers :))​

Season 5

Matthew

View attachment 276562
View attachment 276567

Story
During the transfer window the Stoke manager called me into his office. I was honestly nervous to go in. It was one of the few time I'd had a one-to-one conversation with him. However, luckily for me, it was good news. I was being sent out on loan to Portsmouth where I would be a member of the first team there. I was excited, and determined to prove myself. I had to uproot my life in Stoke when I had finally just started to get settled, but I was happy to do that for first team football.
View attachment 276564
I had a fantastic season on loan at Portsmouth. 45 starts, 24 goals. Over one goal every two games and I was over the moon. How could I not be? The fans were great and scoring goals for them and helping them seal promotion from League 1 to the championship.
View attachment 276565
Another great thing about my season at Portsmouth? I became their top goalscorer for a season, ever, breaking the record by two goals.
View attachment 276566
Upon arriving back to Stoke, I got a lot of congratulations on my good season from my fellow team members and I had to seek out Mame Diouf to thank him personally. He may not be the best player in the world, a long way off actually, but I don't think I would've done as good without his tutoring. The Stoke City management were clearly impressed with my performance on loan as I was rewarded with a new contract upon my return.
View attachment 276563

Nick

View attachment 276561

View attachment 276560

(No story for Nick in this update as his season is pretty much the same as the last three, and anything I say would just be repetitive and boring. I have nothing to do today, so expect at least another update, hopefully two or three, today :))

Season 6

Matthew

View attachment 276511

View attachment 276513

Story
This season started exactly like last season. I won't bore you with the details again, but I was called into the managers office and before I knew it I was off on loan again, this time to Championship side Watford.

View attachment 276510
It was a good experience, but it wasn't like my loan spell at Portsmouth. I never really felt a connection with the other players, the managers or the fans like I did at Portsmouth, and I only played 20 games, all league games, for Watford. However, I did have a decent return for that, scoring 13 goals, 4 assists, 3 player of the match awards and an average rating of 7.47.

Just like my loan at Portsmouth, the management were clearly happy with how I was developing and offered me yet another contract to ward off the interest from any other clubs. I was more than happy to accept, with the promise of some first team football next season.
View attachment 276512

Nick

View attachment 276508

View attachment 276509

Story

I've accepted the fact now that I'm not going to get that big move like my brother did. I'm probably going to see out my career at Stockport. It isn't a bad thing. I'm married now, I have a house and I have a kid on the way. The supporters love me and I have a great relationship with everyone at this club. I am jealous of my brother, Matthew, though. It was always my dream to play at the top level and, while he isn't doing that yet, he'll achieve that level while I'll be stuck in a conference team. He's my brother and I wish him all the best, but I can't help but wish our roles were reversed.

(And another update done. I'll probably do another in a few hours :))​

Season 7

Matthew

View attachment 276087

View attachment 276085

Story

Well, I finally got my wish this year as I played 17 games for the Stoke senior team. 9 games in the league, 8 in the cup. I have to say I was extremely disappointed with my league performances. In the 5 starts and 4 off the bench appearances I got, I didn't manage a single goal or single assist.

However, my cup performances were far better. In 5 starts and 3 appearances off the bench, I managed 4 goals. And I did manage to net 22 goals in 28 appearances for the youth team, so that helped boost my confidence along with my cup games.

While not a very good season, it was an amazing experience to get my first taste of Premier League action. It was fantastic to get that experience, and I hope I get more games next season and put in some better performances.

Nick

View attachment 276086

View attachment 276083
Story

Yet another average season for me at Stockport. I thought I did ok, but clearly the management didn't. Towards the end of the season I was called into the managers office. I thought it was to be offered a new contract, as mine was nearly up, but it wasn't. It was to be told the club wouldn't be renewing my contract and would be letting me go.

I couldn't believe it. I was furious. After all I'd done for the club, they were letting me go. Just like that. I spent about five minutes shouting at the manager, before storming out of the clubs training facilities. Now I was effectively unemployed. That would be a fun conversation with the wife...

View attachment 276084

(So, while Matthew's getting first team football at Stoke, Nick's without a club. Poor Nick :()

I hope Nick finds a new club! Sure he isn't a world beater but he is definitely good enough for lower League football!!

Hey guys. I have just now finished simming the player careers. Both players have retired now. One retired from football altogether (as you worked out by my question a few days ago asking about if players could just do that :)) but the other one finished his playing career and went into management.

We we have a lot of updates to go before reaching this point, but I just want to know if you would rather me just sim the management, or if you want me to take over the the club my player has started to manage and continue as if I'm him in a more traditional manager story. Which would you prefer?

Play it! It would be good to see Nick going into management and making it into the big time to make up for his playing days as I'm sure Matt has made his money :p. Whatever you decide I'll be following anyway mate...

Play it mate. Pity one of the brothers retired altogether!

Thought this story was a perfect opportunity to recruit another player & do a dual player network game story, could have been epic with the 2 bros battling it out to see who the best manager was!

Play it mate. Pity one of the brothers retired altogether!

Thought this story was a perfect opportunity to recruit another player & do a dual player network game story, could have been epic with the 2 bros battling it out to see who the best manager was!

Maybe in FM 16 that could be a good idea :D

Whatever I decide to do, I am so taking a break from this save until I've updated all the player stuff. I've done so much simming I've forgotten what playing FM was like...

Another update for this will come today. Not been at my laptop for a few days, but I'll hopefully get a couple of updates out this afternoon/evening :)

Hey guys. I have just now finished simming the player careers. Both players have retired now. One retired from football altogether (as you worked out by my question a few days ago asking about if players could just do that :)) but the other one finished his playing career and went into management.

We we have a lot of updates to go before reaching this point, but I just want to know if you would rather me just sim the management, or if you want me to take over the the club my player has started to manage and continue as if I'm him in a more traditional manager story. Which would you prefer?

Have 1 return into management (assume its Nick) and play with him while the Stoke kid manages on his own. Maybe you will end up playing against each other etc

Have 1 return into management (assume its Nick) and play with him while the Stoke kid manages on his own. Maybe you will end up playing against each other etc

Not too bad an idea actually... But that'll be an awful lot of work :D

Anyway, I'll worry about that when I've fully updated the player careers. Which, with my speed, will be quite some time :D