Historic Rivals: Lincoln City, Scunthorpe and Grimsby Town

Training Facilities: Good

Youth Facilities: Below Average

Media Predication: 2nd

Honours:

Sky Bet League Two: 1984
The Buildbase FA Trophy: 2012 and 2017​

Preseason

So when joining the club I found out that we are already £400 over the wage budget meaning that unless I get rid of people then I won't be bringing in anybody else even if there are areas to improve.

The first thing I did though was ask the board to kindly fund my first coaching badge which they were more than happy to do to get me moving in the right direction.

pQcT2lG.png

The next thing was to sack the majority of the staff currently at the club to bring in my own people. There are two people that I'm really glad to have brought in and they will be key members for the next couple of seasons at least.

First was brining in a new assistant manager and Steve Taylor looks like he'll be a great addition to the club and will be able to provide a boost to the training on offer at the club.

dMmRpJw.png

Next it was brining in a new Head of Youth Development as we bring in Chris Llewellyn who is a huge step up for us in this department and I'd be surprised if he isn't one of the best in the league.

Uu4sRqJ.png

After getting the staff in I wanted it was time to sit down and finally look at the club vision to see what the board expect of us over the next 5 years.

Oc7TPbN.png

The board don't expect too much from us thankfully as they only see us getting as high as the National League but I want to push a lot further than that as I want to be the biggest club in Yorkshire, England, Europe and finally the World.

Fixtures

We took in a **** of a lot of friendlies to try and get the team fit along with them getting on board with the new management, coached and of course the tactic.

We played some big teams to try and bring some funds in which of course we lost but it was all about the money that they brought with them. In the games we did win we won them convincingly and also kept clean sheets which is good and gives us confidence.

Expectations

y4Yi5hB.png

Well there is nothing too difficult from the board this season as we are only expected to reach the playoffs in the league and in the cups I'll hope for the best but it does all depend on how the draws go for us as well.

August

5ZQhq0s.png

August

York City v Kidderminster Harriers

hbJS84y.png

Well after losing the last 3 warm up games I wasn't sure how this would go due to confidence but we get off to a flying start and get a very comfortable win and it was nice to see Clayton Donaldson score on his second debut for the club.

Gloucester City v York City

DWDlXRU.png

A much tougher game away from home but our on loan striker Mark Beck showing early signs that he is going to be on fire this season getting his 2nd in 2 games

York City v Brackley Town

vOd7RV2.png

This game was terrible from an attacking point of view as we had 16 shots with only 3 of them finding the target meaning its something we will be working on in training going forward.

Spennymoor v York City

li3y4dN.png

A much more comfortable win even though this game came only 2 days after our last and it was good to see 17 year old Kyle Lancaster score on his debut.

League

U5mG2bC.png

Well 4 games in and we are top but its all very close and we still have another 38 games to play though.

September

pQX8LUL.png

Well September brings the magic is the FA Cup. We'll have to navigate through 3 qualifying rounds though before even getting into the main draw so its unlikely we'll get a money spinning tie anytime soon

Transfers

We managed to win one piece of transfer business in the loan market as we were beaten to a number of other ones where a wage wasn't needed.

The loan star we signed in Zidane Iqbal from Manchester United who is extremely versatile and can play in 4 different positions to provide a lot of cover for us over the season

s9qVXN9.png

September

York City v Farsley

nqWclQx.png

Clayton Donaldson and Mark Beck linking up for the two goals to show that the partnership is work is going to pay off

York City v Hereford

cMgkTkq.png

Our wingers win us the game here even if that is the position I'm unhappiest with so they hold onto their positions for a bit longer(nothing to do with me not being able to afford replacements)

FA Cup 2nd Qualifying Round
York City v AFC Rushden and Diamonds

VsLlL14.png

A straight forward game as expected against non-league opposition as we march toward the proper games.

Darlington v York City

MgieIpp.png

A nervy final 9 minutes as I was worried that we were going to throw away a 3-0 lead but we manage to hang on

League

sF2HA1L.png

We still sit top of the league after 7 games but we've not been pushed too much but I feel that will come when we start getting more than 4 games in a month

October

hdE9O9n.png

Out busiest month yet and what a way to start with finding out if we're getting one round closer to the FA Cup.​

You'll have no problem getting the next badge straight away with the results you're getting 👍

October

FA Cup 3rd Qualifying Round
York City v Bromsgrove Sporting

nTwySy4.png

A walk in the park again as we see our way to the final qualifying round

York City v Southport

bd5gZao.png

Beck has been great for us so far this season and that was summed up with a perfect hat-trick in this game.

FA Cup 4th Qualifying Round

YZngaBt.png

A quick fire double from our wingers was enough to see us into the FA Cup 1st round.

Leamington v York City

eEQaUNd.png

Our first dropped points of the season as we hit back immediately to get the draw and the game fizzled out after those 2 very exciting minutes.

York City v Chester

IsQao3c.png

A great opening 15 minutes from us as we raced to a 2-0 lead but again we took our foot off the gas and just weren't able to take any more of our chances.

Boston United v York City

feLikSN.png

We really struggled here and it took a piece of magic from Donaldson turning on the edge of the box and firing into the top corner to get the winner.

York City v Blyth Spartans

pwfpsV3.png

Donaldson continuing to the roll back the years here with an excellent brace to take his tally to 4 goals in the last 3 games.

League

0fkS6kI.png

We've opened up a 5 point gap at the top but its looking good after only 12 games it looks like the playoff should be the minimum.

November

LqcltQZ.png

We're in the FA Cup and any money that we can get then we will throw everything at it so thankfully we will only be facing Bath and nobody higher up than us. We also have our first game in the FA Trophy as well as any trophy looks good in a trophy cabinet.

Personal

So I have completed my first coaching badge and with being ambitious I then asked the board to pay for my national B which they were happy to do after putting my argument across after the initial rejection

7wzWRvH.png

Finally right at the end of the month I have put pen to paper to sign a contract extension that will see me stay at the club to at least June 2023 which will give them comfort with me doing my badges.

8sDqnpa.png

You'll have no problem getting the next badge straight away with the results you're getting 👍
yeah they were happy to agree after they initially rejected it as can only benefit the club in the long term

yeah they were happy to agree after they initially rejected it as can only benefit the club in the long term
Top of the league + 2 badges after 12 games, destined for great things this save

November

Gateshead v York City

TXwY0Bk.png

We finally faced the team directly below us and it was the hardest game yet as it looked like we were on for a loss but we salvaged a draw with the final kick of the ball and we really didn't deserve the point here.

FA Cup 1st Round
Bath City v York City

FZ1EaUE.png

We finally get to play a proper game in the FA Cup and boy was it tight but we over come our rivals from the South League to make it into the 2nd Round

Curzon Ashton v York City

Vlrc2ug.png

A bore draw as we really struggle with our finishing again as I step up the hunt for a better striker for the the next part of the season

Guiseley v York City

XgkIIUL.png

Another really poor game from us as we continue to finish to struggle this month with goals.

FA Trophy 2nd Round
York City v Bradford PA

P42Rc1u.png

We finally get some goals to double our total for the month and we needed them to progress in the cup which I think we could have a chance of winning

League

fVdUmLb.png

The dropped points this month have really cost us as we find out gap at the top of the table cut to 1 so its going to be close over the rest of the season

December

dt4xvT5.png

The next round of the 2 cups will take precedent this month yet we also can't afford to drop anymore points in the league or Gateshead will take over the top spot from us​

December

FA Cup 2nd Round
York City v Walsall

W3ibtrK.png

We played really defensive counter attacking football here to try and counter a much better team and it worked a treat as we hit them on the break for the only goal of the game.

York City v Kettering Town

J8RqH16.png

Well we finally test defeat for the first time this season and it was always coming so I'm glad to get it out the way.

York City v Chorley

HBOI4y6.png

A terrible 2nd half performance by us as we throw away a 2-0 lead and even fall behind before finding a late equalizer to save us from another loss

FA Trophy Third Round
York City v King's Lynn Town

eoatysg.png

We throw everything at it here after our recent results and it paid off as we march through to the next round thanks to Brown from nodding home from a set piece.

Flyde v York City

abvRhIu.png

The poor form comes rushing back in the league as we have to fight back here to ensure we get a point.

Bradford PA v York City

bdyn2sr.png

A better performance here but it was a nervy finish to the game as they really pilled on the pressure to try and get the equaliser but we managed to hold firm.

York City v Alfreton Town

cZ9M940.png

Finally a performance to be proud of this month as we run out well deserved winners.

League

iheDbOh.png

Even after our loss we have managed to open up a 5 point lead over 2nd even though they do have a game in hand.

January

jr1viFT.png

Bring on the cups. Not going to lie I was hoping for a bigger tie in the FA Cup but we'll take what we're given and do our best.

Youth Preview

nCHd9rD.png

It looks like we could be onto a winner here but we'll wait and actually see what its like come March​

January

FA Cup 3rd Round
Accrington Stanley v York City

u1woPNu.png

We gave it our best shot but we are finally out of the FA Cup. Our keeper got Man of the Match here as we would of lost this about 5-0 if it wasn't for him.

York City v Bradford PA

CXO7olR.png

A nervy end to the game here after the sending off but we hold on to get the 3 points.

FA Trophy 4th Round
York City v Chelmsford City

rsZfk8l.png

Well we leave it late but King gets his head on the ball from a corner to see us into the next round to keep us in 1 cup.

York City v Telford United

VJqDYWN.png

A really poor game here and we even couldn't take advantage in the final 10 minutes with an extra man.

Kidderminster Harriers v York City

7aDO1Gi.png

A much better result here as Beck gets a great brace and was unlucky to have a 3rd goal chopped off for him to get his hat-trick.

York City v Gateshead

JQ6Wncu.png

A win here would of been great to open up a bigger gap at the top of the table but sadly we missed a penalty in the 79th minute and the game finishes goalless.

League

a26wfv9.png

The gap at the top of the table has now been cut to 4 points so its going to be key to keep up the form.

February

iIxTmmX.png

The games a re racking up now as we start getting into the 2nd of the season​

February

York City v Curzon Ashton

2OLZox5.png

A nervy final half hour here but we hold on for the 3 points.

Blyth Spartans v York City

vK9yz5P.png

A pretty boring game where the only exciting thing was the 2 penalties and a draw was a fair result.

FA Trophy 5th Round

Fg6vnF3.png

We did well to get the goal back here after the horrible pass back that the keeper missed which resulted in the own goal. It couldn't be settled in extra time so it goes to a replay.

FA Trophy 5th Round Replay
Brackley Town v York City

mdVOaGL.png

Again we are taken to extra time by Brackley but you can always rely on Clayton Donaldson as his experience gets us into the quarter finals.

Kettering Town v York City

5obGucv.png

Can swear these games are getting harder and harder against some of the teams in the bottom half as we just manage to get past Kettering here.

Chorley v York City

Hx2RuKC.png

A really poor result here as we just couldn't get into the game at all as we put in one of our worst performances of the season.

York City v Guiseley

gsKLa8f.png

We bounce straight back with a win but it was still pretty poor as we required a penalty to make it a more comfortable win.

League

LuDKTpv.png

It still anybody's game with only 9 points between us and 4th and a good or bad run of fixtures at this stage could really change it all.

March

nCWOLPg.png

Got a cup quarter final to look forward to along with the league games this month.​

March

Hereford v York City

E2G1svy.png

A quick fire double from us to get us a big win over the team just 12 points behind us in the table

York City v Darlington

UbMsFy9.png
]

Back to struggling infront of goal and its an area we are going to improve next season but Beck manages to get the winner not long before full time.

FA Trophy Quarter Final
York City v Woking

DmC1Al1.png

We leave it very late again here to get the winner but at least its a convincing win thanks to the quick fire double again to see us to the Semi final

Southport v York City

YNPjeCG.png

Another loss thanks to a horrendous own goal where our defender and keeper were at fault

York City v Boston United

SGWwTAu.png

We suffer back to back defeats for the first time this season as we just lacked confidence here and couldn't get a foothold in the game at all.

York City v Leamington

ftqcdsg.png

We finally bounce back with a win but it was nervy for the final 25 minutes as our keeper kept us in the lead thanks to some great saves.

League

JfBVnwx.png

We've increased our lead to 6 points now but all the teams behind us have a game in hand so I doubt its going to stay a 6 point lead for long

April

bhA8R4M.png

A cup double header this month but we'll need to step up in the league to make sure we keep our slight advantage.

Coaching Badges

dIdZhTE.png

The board have granted me the money and time to go and get my next coaching badge but they weren't happy and I needed to threaten to leave but thankfully they gave in then and funded it​

April

FA Trophy Semi Final 1st Leg
York City v Barnet

lPILI3Q.png

The better team won on this occasion and I'm surprised that it took them as long as it did to get the goal

Brackley Town v York City

UuPnaBF.png

What a game, cannot complain at all after being 4-1 up at half time to show what this team can do when they perform at their best.

FA Trophy Semi Final 2nd Leg
Barnet v York City

TU2fLbd.png

We gave it our best shot to get back into the game here but Barnet just proved too strong for us as the make it to the final.

York City v Spennymoor

p7ChGP0.png

We get off to a flying start with 2 goals in the opening 6 minutes. We seemed to think 3 goals was enough though instead of really pushing for more

Alfreton Town v York City

1EbKaVS.png

Iqbal seems to be stepping up his game as he knows he might be able to come back again next season if United accept our offer.

York City v Gloucester City

7U0kXfL.png

A disappointing result after our performances this month even if they are 3rd in the league

Farsley v York City

7U0kXfL.png

We get very lucky here to grab the win but at least an own goal goes in our favour this time as we've lost a couple of games due to this.

League

eNuSIDn.png

A 3 point gap going into the final 2 games and we have the same goal difference as Fylde as well to make it even more interesting

May

qo7sASU.png

2 games to ensure we finish top. A win or a draw is needed against Fylde to give us a chance going into the final game

Youth

JKeBM5A.png

Well we have 2players who look like they might make it at the club one day.

zLgza1H.png

His personality will need to change if he is to make it but hopefully we can manage this at the club.

CBhoAO8.png

Always good to get a keeper through and hopefully he can improve and one day make it to the first team​

May

York City v Fylde

WNKCZR5.png

We went into this game knowing that we couldn't afford to lose and it looked like the game was going to end up a draw before our veteran player steps up and get the goal that gets us promoted to the National League

Telford v York City

25EU5kw.png

I was disappointed not to finish on a win but at least it wasn't a loss so we'll take it and now start work on next season

Final League Table

mHy6b57.png

Well we win the league with automatic promotion by a flattering 4 points. It was anybody's right up until these final 2 games and Fylde will be joining us next season as well to make sure that there is a team to push us again.

Budget and Plans for Next Season

1WIHAkZ.png

We have a modest transfer budget which in all honesty I'll doubt I'll spend any of it on transfer fees. We have a decent increase in wage budget though with an extra £10,000 for next season.

As for plans next season then we will be letting a large chunk of the current playing staff go come the end of their contracts which means the transfer business is going to be very busy as we look to build a whole new team capable of a good showing next season with the step up in ability​

£10k a week extra is a lot for the National League! Reckon you could make it back to back promotions?

Are you using Kurt Willoughby at all?
Just finished my first season with York and he scored 49 goals across 50 games