A Thread to Show Off My Newness

Reaction score
The following post may draw a lot of ire from more establish posters, but I think it needs consideration:

...why is there an overt militancy in this forum against repeat topics? I understand that (1) it's annoying to answer the same question twice and (2) sometimes topics are ridiculously unneeded (OMG MESSI IS REALLY GOOD!), but it seems the belligerence toward any reconsideration of a topic or player exceeds the limits of reasonable civility. It also exceeds the bounds of utility -- if bandwidth or wasted time/effort is the issue, I would argue more space and time is spent linking to months-old threads as would used in simply answering someone's question. If you feel you've already said your piece about an issue in the past, it hurts nothing to leave the thread alone and let someone else answer.

Worse still, often the redirection is no help at all. The condescending tone is likely to drive away new community members. Also, the threads people claim answer someone's question commonly don't even cover the same issue... e.g. a thread discussing a forward's longterm merits is NOT the same as a thread covering effective strike partners for the same player.

What is the problem with approaching similar questions anew if a few months have past? There are doubtlessly some new users and new opinions about. Sometimes it appears this forum would rather be a sort of FMwiki than an active, fluid, and dynamic forum community.

I have not personally been a target of the OMGWEEVEDONETHISBEOFREaaAaRGH!!1!!!1! fury, but I must say that as a new user, it has been off-putting to see again and again. I was curious if anyone else felt the same way and if not, how the culture of this forum got to the point where stale threads are lauded and new participation is regularly ridiculed.

Cheers,
- Michael

PS -- If this is a topic which has been covered before, please prove my point with a quick link and the requisite condescending note. ;)

I completely agree with you.

Others won't and it'll probably be met with a 'less that pleased' reaction.

Most of them just want to be mods anyway. *Looks at post below*

Last edited:
To be fair, I think mods normally try and help with a link and a bit of info on the subject matter.

But some of the 'mini-mods' are awful at just posting a link, and nothing else.

The following post may draw a lot of ire from more establish posters, but I think it needs consideration:

...why is there an overt militancy in this forum against repeat topics? I understand that (1) it's annoying to answer the same question twice and (2) sometimes topics are ridiculously unneeded (OMG MESSI IS REALLY GOOD!), but it seems the belligerence toward any reconsideration of a topic or player exceeds the limits of reasonable civility. It also exceeds the bounds of utility -- if bandwidth or wasted time/effort is the issue, I would argue more space and time is spent linking to months-old threads as would used in simply answering someone's question. If you feel you've already said your piece about an issue in the past, it hurts nothing to leave the thread alone and let someone else answer.

Worse still, often the redirection is no help at all. The condescending tone is likely to drive away new community members. Also, the threads people claim answer someone's question commonly don't even cover the same issue... e.g. a thread discussing a forward's longterm merits is NOT the same as a thread covering effective strike partners for the same player.

What is the problem with approaching similar questions anew if a few months have past? There are doubtlessly some new users and new opinions about. Sometimes it appears this forum would rather be a sort of FMwiki than an active, fluid, and dynamic forum community.

I have not personally been a target of the OMGWEEVEDONETHISBEOFREaaAaRGH!!1!!!1! fury, but I must say that as a new user, it has been off-putting to see again and again. I was curious if anyone else felt the same way and if not, how the culture of this forum got to the point where stale threads are lauded and new participation is regularly ridiculed.

Cheers,
- Michael

PS -- If this is a topic which has been covered before, please prove my point with a quick link and the requisite condescending note. ;)

Agreed

I think Dunc said it. The mods are generally helpful and try there hardest, but then theres is mini mods, who are just trying to suck up to the mods, but suck very badly.

The way I prefer it to happen is if a moderator (or anybody else) posts some information about the problem/topic and then links a relevant thread that should be used instead. There is a case on these forums where topics get closed too easily but it's usually just because we have to close so many useless threads we can get in the habit of closing a reasonable thread without an explanation.

I think Dunc said it. The mods are generally helpful and try there hardest, but then theres is mini mods, who are just trying to suck up to the mods, but suck very badly.

I think the term 'mini mod' is overused on this forum. It seems a regular member who is just trying to be helpful is branded one which I think is a bit unfair.

Interesting post. Since you are new here, you may as well apply to be a Mod. Everybody's doing it! (K)

Brilliant first post. Perhaps you should apply for one of the mod places?

I think the term 'mini mod' is overused on this forum. It seems a regular member who is just trying to be helpful is branded one which I think is a bit unfair.

The term mini-mod and /troll is flying around this forum at the moment. I think people have learned new words and are just trying to sound cool or something. Quite sad really.

The term mini-mod and /troll is flying around this forum at the moment. I think people have learned new words and are just trying to sound cool or something. Quite sad really.
Very true, it's spreading like Spam on Facebook or Rick Rolling

totally agree with the post - apply to be a mod ;)

The way I prefer it to happen is if a moderator (or anybody else) posts some information about the problem/topic and then links a relevant thread that should be used instead. There is a case on these forums where topics get closed too easily but it's usually just because we have to close so many useless threads we can get in the habit of closing a reasonable thread without an explanation.

Exactly.

Hopefully things will be a lot easier with all the new staff members coming in.

I am looking foward to see who you guys appoint.

I obviously wont get the job, as i have been on the site only a year.

Please make it a good appointment.

I doubt I'll get it either to be honest, but I don't think how long you've been on the site is a factor; I think it's more of wheather you can be trusted and whether they think you can do a decent job.