A True Project Klippybo vs Stonecold 2017

Mr_Grieves

Reaction score

Stonecold vs Klippybo 2017
Rebuilding fallen giants

Aston Villa Vs Newcastle
View attachment 105527

Years have past, lives changed but as the Aussie Open grand slam finals showed us these is nothing like reviving a great rivalry!

The last decade has seen us both write many story's usually leaning on our own favorite FM teams Aberdeen & Atletico Bilbao

Only once did we have the guts to go online and Klippy won that battle after only 18 months at Man Utd & Arsenal, Although Man Utd were dominating season 2 when we stopped

Klippybo vs Stonecold V1

Other previous joint saves have seen us play as Barcelona vs Real Madrid, Where i got sacked and lost a Champions League final to Bordeaux and my favorite Valencia vs Atletico around 2010 when both sides were a clear 3rd and 4th and Klippy got sacked somewhere too

The Iain McIntosh & Alex Stewart FM17 project (Rangers vs Celtic) got us talking about a joint save. We both read there Old Firm save and thought we could do this but do a much better job! Only flaw was neither of us would willingly go Rangers, I've never managed them and Klippy i believe has only done it once to get an achievement

So we wrote a list of teams we considered for a good rivalry for at least a few season. The stand out pick of our final 3 was two teams in similar state that were a long way from European football, two teams not even in the top flight Aston Villa & Newcastle United. I think it balances our quite well. Klippy, Newcastle have slightly better assest (players & finances) and despite Klippys being a Newcastle fan for his sins and experience of playing as Newcastle EVERY YEAR i would have more recent experience and despite his eye for a youngster my squad building & climbing through the leagues has become the base of every story i've done in the last 5 years while Aston Villa Stonecold are in a great position as a reclamation project. The save will be using a updated January transfer window database so no Ross McCormack for me.

Story Highlights

Season 1
Aston Villa -
Newcastle -

Stonecold the Manager!

Im not sure what image you have of the guy behind the name but sadly despite being 6ft 2 like THE Stone Cold i dont tend to drink Budweisers and give my neighbours and in laws stunners when my team are screwed out of wins by FM Fate.

Real
View attachment 105513

Fake
View attachment 105512

Except for when i huge mega rich team like Real Madrid, Man Utd ect i always build my team using all the sports knowledge i've gained over they years. I combine my love of analytics in Football, NFL for building a football team. I always have a player depth chart of my own as well as several shortlists of players developed from the shameful hours i end up scouting players in the world of FM.

Tactically i'm open to change, especially in the modern day where the wondertactic is dead. Over time i have played 4-1-3-2, 4-2-2-2 and most recently after seeing a certain Aitor Herrera 4-1-3-1-1. Every year. I am 100% a offensive coach, attacking rather that insulting. In any sports game i'd lean heavy on defensive coaching or stacking the team with defensive talent allowing my attacking scheming to win the day even if the talent is not there.

Aston Villa

My targets
Hard to say here as the save is on Klippys computer so i only have basic's on my team. Promotion is the no1 target and the only real aim i have in season 1. If Newcastle go up and i dont then it defeats the purpose and even worse makes me look *****. Following that i have a 3 year plan on revamping the squad that will need Premiership level income that will see us in the top 4 by the very early 20s and from season 2 onwards we MUST BEAT NEWCASTLE over a season. Coming 2nd is coming last!

And what of my rival? well without him there is no way i would still be playing FM. Enjoying the game is one thing but no save comes close to going head to head, face to face even with a old friend who's skills at the game have to be respected at a game we've both spent so much of our life playing. No win is sweeter, no defeat more heart wrenching. The thrill of sitting across a table or on opposite sofa's while controlling the adrenaline of the twitchy finger waiting to win or loose a game, season, career is unbeatable in this game and at our age you dont know how many more time's we'll be doing this so rest assured old friend i'll be giving it everything to get the better of you

Our First day in the office is tomorrow after a day at work. Let the fun/stress/drama/arguments and abuse begin!

Yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaassssssssssssssssssssssssssssssss

th

HOWAY THE LADS!!!!!!

So here we are, about to start on a new fm journey, and I am pretty excited. Not only do I get to manage my beloved Newcastle United but in doing so I get the opportunity to teach my good friend of so many years (must be about 12 lol) a FM lesson......

Although methinks it might not be so easy as I am completely out of touch with the FM world. Having had a 2 year hiatus from FM I am relying on myself not losing my touch and picking it up quickly as apart from a failed story with Bilbao (the save kept crashing) I have only played until March in a season. For instance that new set piece screen baffles me lol.

There is my excuse in early!!!!

Now as for me being Newcastle - it is a no brainer. I have supported them since Ossie Ardiles was manager when I was 9 y/o. I am from Aberdeenshire and the only reason I started supporting them was because they were getting humped every week when I read my Match magazine and I thought it was a joke really but the bug bit me, Keegan arrived and the club took off. My first game at St. James Park was the win over Portsmouth where Shearer broke the club scoring record and my daughter got a Newcastle strip before she was born lol.

As for Darran being Villa. Well for FM reasons its apparent but he still brings up the time he watched Villa beat Newcastle at my house to send us down a few years ago. Methinks if I stop him getting promoted then that will shut him up as since he supports Man Utd I don't think Newcastle will relegate them anytime soon...........

Since we last played together on FM he got married (his copy of FM was my wedding present lol), I have got balder and got a girlfriend who has given me FM17, the use of her laptop and agreed for Darran to come over for our sessions (what exactly have I let myself in for? was a question tonight) and we have both realised that my daughter is now just a few years off from being a teenager which is even more scary. Speaking of scary - this is my daughter and my opponent 5 or 6 years ago............
View attachment 105497

We will be using my custom database. I have completely updated all the transfers and coaching changes in England, Scotland, France, Germany, Italy and Spain and also a few in Russia, USA, China and Portugal. I have even done the squad numbers because I am both sad and **** about such things lol.

---

As for my targets I have a short term vision - get promoted. I find it ironic that after the idiots like Pardew, Kinnear, Carver, McClaren etc I have to kick out the first quality manager we have had since Sir Bobby Robson but that is the the way of life in FM I suppose.

Tomorrow we begin!!

my **** tingled a little when I saw you two doing the joint save again. (not even ashamed)

th

NEWCASTLE UNITED PRE-SEASON

So here we go!!! In 4 hours we have got to the eve of the 1st game of the season. It was long and arduous at times as Darran started his player and staff search at the start of the movie Suicide Squad and he was still doing it near the end!!!

My dealings with Mr. Ashley have been good. He upped the wage budget allowing me to have a £15m transfer kitty, gave me extra staff and allowed me to get a feeder club in the shape of another fallen giant, Parma. He does want me to sign young players for the first team and expects me to win the league while I said I would produce youngsters and play attacking football.

I assessed my squad and credit where credits due, Rafa left me with a squad that should be equipped to win the league as expected and not just gain promotion. I really didn't need to sign anyone truth be told but £15m was burning a hole in my pocket. To be fair I feel that with Adam Armstrong out on loan and Daryl Murphy not required I needed another striker as that just leaves me with Ayoze Perez who I plan to play as my AMC, Gayle and Mitrovic.

So with that in mind I tried to loan a striker from Real Madrid but he rejected me so in the end I plumped for Manchester Uniteds James Wilson. He will just be backup but should do a job at championship level.
View attachment 105363

I then went on the lookout for a versatile attacking midfielder. I contemplated Tom Ince from Derby but in the end plumped for Anthony Knockaert from Brighton for £12.5m. He will challenge for all 3 attacking midfield positions and although Darran doubted the signing (he said he has never heard of him) I am quite happy as it significantly weakens one of our rivals.
View attachment 105362

As for the backroom team I brought in the likes of Phil Cannon, Frank McParland, Derek Langley, Paul Scholes, Bobby Mimms and my new assistant manager Steve Clarke.

th

--

SQUAD ASSESSMENT

GOALKEEPERS

Bear in mind we are in the 2nd tier here but we are insanely stocked in quality keepers. Matz Sels will be battling it out with Karl Darlow while Rob Elliot is injured and in the reserves. That's not all as we have Tim Krul out on loan at AZ Alkmaar and hot prospect Freddie Woodman is one of 3 players at Kilmarnock.

DEFENDERS

At left back I will have Achraf Lazaar as 1st choice with Paul Dummett and Massadio Haidara as backup. On the right speed demon DeAndre Yedlin will be first choice ahead of the experienced Jesus Gamez and the versatile Vurnon Anita. In the middle I have strength and depth with Chancel Mbemba, captain Jamaal Lascelles, Ciaran Clark and Grant Hanley. Most of my defenders can play in other positions so I am well stocked in that area.

MIDFIELDERS

In the middle I will have Jonjo Shelvey who should stroll it at this level and Mo Diame. Jack Colback, Vurnon Anita and Isaac Hayden will provide cover but I may still bring in another CM on loan as Cheick Tiote's departure has left us a wee bit short.

On the wings we are well stocked. Matt Ritchie is a cut above and will be a creative force as will Anthony Knockaert (hopefully) and Christian Atsu will hopefully tear defences apart with his speed on the left. Youngster Rolando Aarons will get some game time and there is also Yoann Gouffran who will do a job.

As for my AMC I will start with Ayoze Perez but in Diame and Knockaert I have other options if injuries or loss of form occurs.

FORWARDS

I really have a tough choice here as in Aleksandr Mitrovic and Dwight Gayle I have 2 magnificent strikers at this level. Gayle will get the nod for a start as Mitro is suspended and I also have loan signing James Wilson, creative forward Ayoze Perez and the unwanted backup player Daryl Murphy.

--

TACTICS

I pondered about going 4-2-2-2 with Mitro and Gayle up top in an attempt to just blast our way out of the league but I will have that as a backup formation or maybe in some "easy" games. I will start off with a 4-2-3-1 formation and hopefully that will work

Last edited:
Knockaert was amazing for me in the Championship last season Klippy. Good signing

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

ASTON VILLA PRE-SEASON
View attachment 105152

Sorry this took so long. Had football & a 14 hour shift at work since i last spent time scratching my head at where my big mouth had got me.

4 hours i trawled through the dross of players and staff and still i cant see how i'm going to beat Newcastle inn season 1. My transfers suggest already that were going to be happy with promotion and were looking long term since we have significantly less talent & less money

Budget

After watching Klippy review Newcastle, or point out he has Gayle, Perez and Mitrovic, God **** it. My squad Is pants. The one player i was really looking forward to having was Goalkeeper Pierluigi Gollini, Nope he's on loan. Just like other players i would have started Carlos Sanchez, Ross MCcormack & Carles Gil.

Never Mind im sure the new chairman will throw money at us, Wait no again. We get £5m but i refuse to just splash it on dross. We need quality or long term players

Transfers
View attachment 105156

In

Ryan Fraser
My standout signing was only a loan. For less than £100k a month we have one of the league's best wingers.

Barrie McKay & Donny Van De Beek
Here is my £4m gamble. I could have brought in a few 30+ year olds and maybe made a premiership return a lot more simple. However i've decided to go for these two promising youngsters that my scouts raved about them and if we cut the **** at worst i think they could turn into squad players and at best i'll make double my money or more if we get promoted and there not up to standard they should develop with the chances they'll get in our 50 game seasons.

The staff has seen very little changes as most of the premiership staff that have yet to be poached are still here. Will make changes when the contracts run out and hopfully we'll be in a higher league that can attract more and better coaches

As for the chairmen all i've asked for is investment in youth and they rejected every request.

I plan to get more player in before September have no doubts.

SQUAD
View attachment 105154
View attachment 105153
Each position feels like i could get a better playing in to improve the squad before the transfer window closes.

GOALKEEPERS
We'll have a 2 way fight for the No1 jersey. Jack Steer is my own but Sam Johnstone has more experience and is slightly better. Will start with Steer but if things go wrong i know we have a upgrade in the wings. Trying to sell Bunn without any luck so far

DEFENDERS
The back four picks itself despite me having no faith long term inDe Laet, Elphick or James Chester. My best two defenders are both left backs. Jordan Amavi & Neil Taylor. Amavi will start the season but Taylor will get enough games to keep his value up. Would be surprised if i own both of them this time next season Reasonable depth here With two of the best U18s in the squad
Bree and Suliman in tow too.

MIDFIELDERS
Again the starting Center Midfielders look like they can do a job. Jedinak was born to be the Roy Keane of my team . Bjarnason and Hourihane will share the more attacking midfield spot. Henri Lansbury doesnt fit my system but will need to keep playing him to keep the value up.

The 3 attacking midfield spots has been given a huge boost by Ryan Fraser joining for the year along with fellow Scots McKay & Maloney. Jack Grealish will be the best of the lot if he can behave himself for 5 minutes

FORWARDS
This bits easy. Kodjia is No1, 2 & 3rd choice striker as Scott Hogans's stats dont match his 2016 achievements and i sold Kozak for £2m as he was only the 3rd best of the forwards.

Pre season Prices
View attachment 105155
3rd is what the the bookies think we'll do which is fair enough. Not sure what planet there on giving Newcastle 3,50. We have no players in the "leagues best players" section

So that it! The build up is over and its now down to work. Next time we post i imagine will be either after the August transfer window if either of us do something crazy or not long after

Last edited:

??? The Big Question ???

Forgot to ask the key question. We would love to know how do you all think we'll get on and more importantly who will have the best team come the end of the save? Will Villa be slow off the mark but eventually win the Premiership before Newcastle even get there? or Wil we both be sacked before christmas???

th

AUGUST

So August is done. 5 league games played and for me and 1 cup game. The transfer deadline has come and gone and we are all set for the long haul ahead so how are we looking?

View attachment 105012

Pretty ****** good!!!!!!!

We started off against Fulham and quickly went a goal down. At half time I gave the players a bollocking and took off Knockaert on his debut as he picked up a knock and it did the trick as 2 unlikely scorers, Lazaar and Mbemba put us ahead before Shelvey netted a penalty.

Against Huddersfield we tore them apart with Dwight Gayle getting a hat-trick before new signing, Boschilia (more on him later), scored with his first touch. 2 Ayoze Perez goals sunk Reading, 2 Gayle goals helped us to victory against Bristol City and that took us to the game against Brighton who were also unbeaten and in 2nd place. In a tight match we took the lead through Matt Ritchie before they levelled but Ayoze Perez came off the bench to strike the winner.

In the Capital One Cup we played Coventry away and I totally changed my lineup and we just sneaked it thanks to 2 Aleksandr Mitrovic goals. We will play Mansfield in the next round after they defeated Sunderland.

View attachment 104997

All that means we top the league and I got the manager of the month award!!

--

TRANSFERS

I just made 1 more signing. I desperately needed a central midfield player but with no money it was difficult. I couldn't even afford to loan Ruben Loftus-Cheek FOR £500,000!!! I made a few other enquiries but failed miserably and almost signed Leon Osman and a Spaniard called Manu such was my desperation but in the end I got a loan deal from Monaco for young Brazilian Boschilia.

View attachment 104999

Boschilia made a great start, scoring on his debut, and I hope he will do a good job and make an impact when required.

Outgoing there wasn't much - Sammy Ameobi was loaned out to Blackburn and that was it.

--

THOUGHTS

Everything is going tickety-boo!!! We have been rarely troubled truth be told and hopefully we can maintain our form for a while yet but 5 of our next 7 games are away including games against Derby County and Aston Villa.........

What I have noticed is that my players pace is a huge factor in the Championship. Christian Atsu especially is ripping teams apart and DeAndre Yedlin also runs amock on the right. Perez and Gayle are too good for this level and well as I said - everything is tickety-boo!

One possible cloud on the horizon will be the African Cup of Nations as Mbemba, Diame, Atsu and Lazaar could be away for a month or so.

Season kick off

We start the season far better than i expected only dropping points twice. Our defense has been awful at times but then i was not expecting miracles from this bunch but if they could channel there inner Blackburn that would be wonderful.

Fixtures
View attachment 104987
Defeat in Bristol was our only defeat and only game where we were outplayed by a quicker slicker team. The draw with Huddersfield was as dramatic a game as we'll probably see all year, happy to escape with a point when playing out the last 15 minutes with 10 men, A tired Jedinak lunge is not what you need to see with 40+ games to go. I'm find the balance of playign so many games and rotating players a struggle. We escaped from the Ipswich and Rotherham game by the skin of our teeth and you just know as the season goes on the balance of power will see games fall the other way. Elsewhere a mix of wins big and small. No competition in our cup games so far but Norwich will be a tougher test for us than klippy has down at Mansfield

Table
View attachment 104986
If i was told i would be tied at the top, or 1 goal behind Newcastle at the top i would have taken it with open arms. Our net league match will be the true test of where we are in terms of a title challenge. A word i have not mentioned as promotion is the only target. Sadly for us all the old man needed his bed giving us all time to ponder and predict what will go down at Villa park in what already looks like a 6 pointer

Transfer Window
A Premiership return just became even more important as we spend all our transfer budget + some of next years cash and deducted money out of the wages to add two more prospects. Abdelhak Nouri is far from the finished project but with absolutely nothing coming off i overspent on fee & wages to get him in. Worst of all he's not ready for first team with us but to early for buyers regret. My other signing Thalles leaves me with far less doubt. Coming off the bench for his debut he had me and most of the fans thinking Kodjia has been steeling a living over the first few weeks of the season. Not sure if Hogan will get a chance but i do not like to chop and change my front line so one of the three need to show there hand quickly

View attachment 104985
View attachment 104984

Last edited:

??? The Big Question ???

Forgot to ask the key question. We would love to know how do you all think we'll get on and more importantly who will have the best team come the end of the save? Will Villa be slow off the mark but eventually win the Premiership before Newcastle even get there? or Wil we both be sacked before christmas???

I'm just hoping you both get into the Prem first season! will be good to see how you both do when you get there!

Will there be a detailed match report of the big Newcastle v Aston Villa match??

The First Clash
View attachment 104852
Donald slates Stuart's "filthy tactic"

Aston Villa 0-2 Newcastle
View attachment 104851
What do you do to an opponents team that had a player leading almost all the stats for the league? Kick him off the park? What about the teams best player on loan from the Premiership? kick him off the park! Newcastle put a whole new meaning to attacking the wings as Klippys mega aggressive set up seen both my wing backs injured as well as Ryan Fraser. Only Jack Grealish came through the game with all his limbs attached. Stats looked similar but we had far more chances. Newcastle had 2 chances and scored both of them. This is not the first time he has kicked my team off the park. I can not let this happen again!

View attachment 104850

Onto the actual game Newcastle struck early on and took out Jordan Amavi viciously concussing the leagues best wing back after only 8 minutes. while Neil Taylor was stretching to come on Ayoze Perez stuck the opening goal. Soon after Richie De Laet got a knock but was determined to fight on again this bunch of thugs and not be bullied out of the game but we failed to take any of our chances. The second half was exactly the same until the 73rd minute when Ryan Fraser finally gave into the abuse and had to come off as we went 4-4-2. Newcastle had the last serious chance and Perez doubled the lead. My players were already furious with the assault on there well being so this sucked punch was the end of them. They showed no fight in the last 10 minutes and suddenly resting the first team and loosing in the cup turns out to be a waste of time.

View attachment 104849

Overall im not shocked Newcastle managed to beat me but the manner of the defeat is worse than just not being good enough. This will be used to motivate the players till we face off again in February

th

ASTON VILLA v NEWCASTLE UNITED

Beforehand

We go into this fixture in a bit of a downer truth be told. After our 5th league win we managed to just sneak an away draw against Derby with Gayle scoring a late equaliser just before he got injured and he will be out for 2 months. We then went up against QPR away and got humped 3-1 so we lost our first game of the season.

Next up was Wolves at home and we were trailing 1-0 at half-time so I gave my players a bollocking and it worked as Mitrovic scored twice after Ritchie levelled and we won 3-2. We then played Mansfield away in the league cup and I rested all 11 players once again. We took the lead through Wilson and then immediately after I made my 3 subs they levelled to take the game into extra time. Fortunately goals from Knockaert and Boschilia saw us through and we will play Brentford away in the next round.

--

The Game

They were on a roll and our away form was slipping up so what to do? My only dilemma was to choose between Knockaert and Ayoze Perez and I went with the mercurial Spaniard.

Tactically I did the same as usual but with a bit of a difference - I noticed his full back, Amavi, was no1 in the league for average rating and man of the match awards so I told my players to go in hard on him. Same with Ryan Fraser who was top of the league in assists. His lone striker was also going to get a kicking and marked tightly too just for good measure.....

And it worked!!!! After 7min Amavi went off injured and we immediately scored when Mitrovic sent Ayoze Perez through. Then Fraser picked up a knock and then my phone kept going off with Darran telling me everyone of his players were crippled.

To be fair what came next according to the highlights was constant Villa chances and he almost scored a beauty on the stroke of half-time. Darran, going by the amount of times it said he was making tactical changes, was trying everything to claw it back but his side couldn't score. Then late on we caught them on the break and Mitrovic crossed for Ayoze Perez to get his 2nd and it was game over!

The only highlights we got was our 2 goals!!!

My screenshots aint working again so I will leave that for Darran for the league table match stats etc.

Last edited: