Season 11 Review

Season 11 Review (2022-2023)

View attachment 319413

Welsh Premier League - Winners (30 wins, 1 draw, 1 loss, 129 goals scored and only 11 conceded)

View attachment 319403

Welsh Premier League Cup - Winners

View attachment 319405View attachment 319406

Welsh Cup - Winners

View attachment 319407View attachment 319409

Champions League - 3rd in group ( 2 wins and 4 losses)

View attachment 319410

Europa League - Winners

View attachment 319411View attachment 319412

Club and League Improvements

View attachment 319416View attachment 319415View attachment 319414View attachment 319417

The Europa League triumph saw us gain a great boost in reputation for the club, jumping from 1 and a half stars to 2 and a half stars. This has now allowed us to ask for feeder clubs for other reasons than 'to send players on loan'. I have asked for a feeder club to help secure work permits however the board could not find a suitable list of clubs. The league's reputation also continued to rise, jumping from 28th to 18th in the Competition rankings. Also, we are up to 17th in the European club coefficient rankings which hopefully see us as a second seed in our Champions League group!

Next update will be an overview of any transfer which have taken place since my last transfer update and our Champions League group we have be drawn in. Also, forgot to mention that Barcelona won the Champions League and therefore will be our opponents in the European Super Cup.

Season 12 Pre-Season

Season 12 Pre-Season

View attachment 319473

Transfers

Ins

Andre Tavares
- A right back who is a graduate of Benfica's academy who has signed on a free transfer towards the end of last season. Will start as back up to Liam Brace but hopefully can push him for 1st choice right back if he fulfills his potential.

View attachment 319474View attachment 319475

Nico Pasanen
- Finnish international right winger who comes straight into the first 11 as he very decent stats and the potential to improve. He was also a free transfer.

View attachment 319476View attachment 319477

Bob Hunt - England under 19 international who my head of youth development Stephane Mbia agreed to sign on a free transfer. He starts in our under 19 squad but I will monitor his progress.

View attachment 319478View attachment 319479

Ruben Antonio Suazo - Honduran international striker brought in on a free who I have been tracking for a while and I believe will play very well for us in either striker role, be that poacher or target man. Only problem is that he is described as being injury prone and got injured just 3 minutes into his debut! He joins fellow Honduran Amtamirano in the Aberystwyth squad.

View attachment 319480View attachment 319481

Lubomir Koleno - Another right winger brought into the club was the Slovakian Koleno on a free transfer from MSK Zilina. He has some good stats and even better potential at 4 and a half stars, where our current first choice right wingers are both rated at just 2 and a half stars. Originally was going to let him spend a season in the under 19's, however I'm not too sure now as I think I may just put him in the first team in order to quicken his development, which will probably mean Da Costa will not get as much game time this season. What do you think I should do with him?

View attachment 319486View attachment 319487

Outs

Tulio - Once I had signed Tavares, I knew that Tulio wouldn't be getting enough game time to justify his wage so I offered him out for £2.5 million. I always offer players out for way above their value at first to try and squeeze as much money out of the player and I think he was only valued at around 300k. However, Paraguayan club Cerro Porteno came in with an offer which met the asking price so he becomes our record sale at £2.5 million.

View attachment 319488View attachment 319489

Danny O'Brian - With the purchase of two right wingers, Welsh international O'Brian was sold for 850k to FC Vaslui. A very solid performer for us over the years and part of our famous Europa League winning side.

View attachment 319496View attachment 319497

Champions League Group H

Arsenal FC
Aberystwyth Town
Sporting Lisbon
RSC Anderlecht

Our European success of last season meant we were seeded 2nd in our group and I am not too disappointed in the group as a whole. Arsenal were runners up in the Premier League last season, as were Sporting in the Liga ZON Sagres. I'm hopeful of picking points up against both although they do both have world class players in their teams. I really want to take 6 points from Anderlecht as our performances against the weaker teams in the group have not been good enough in the past couple of seasons. My target for the Champions League is the quarter final stage, or if I finish 3rd in the group, it is to get to the Europa League final once again!

TNS in Europa League

View attachment 319506View attachment 319508

Also, TNS have got into the Europa League group stages for the second time, taking advantage of the improved seedings for our league. They somehow manged to scrape past Ajax in the Champions League best placed third qualifying round, before falling in the playoff round to Marseille which means they drop into the Europa League. Will be interesting to see how they get on in their group as it looks a very difficult one.

Next update will be a post similar top the one with the Europa League final, but for our European Super Cup match against Barcelona. Right, anyone who is reading this, I need your opinion. At this point there is still only us and TNS in the Welsh league who are professional so do you think I should start buying players from other Welsh clubs for inflated values in order to try and get them to turn professional. If so, how much do you think I would need to give each club in order for them to go professional???

European Super Cup

View attachment 319784

FC Barcelona vs Aberystwyth Town

Preview:

View attachment 319796View attachment 319797

Many people say that the Super Cup is a worthless competition and just a glorified pre-season friendly, however to us it is another chance at a major piece of continental silverware. The bookies and journalists have Barcelona as the heavy favourites, as is to be expected...

Line Ups:

View attachment 319800

We headed into the game with just one first choice player missing, record signing Altamirano picked up an injury in training the week before the game and therefore missed out. I resisted the urge to det out more defensively and sacrafice a center forward, instead choosing to stick to our preferred 4-4-2. Barcelona's line up consisted of 7 or 8 players valued £17 million and above, including two of the greatest players in the world in Sala and Fransisco.

The Match:

1 - CHANCE - Barcelona immediately push Aberystwyth onto the back foot and win a corner from which Soria has a header from 10 yards out tipped over by Alan Gannon. Brilliant save from the Australian.

6 - CHANCE - Aberystwyth should be 1-0 up as Will Ilderton finds himself unmarked in the 6 yard box from a free kick but headers straight at the Barcelona keeper. Shocking miss from the center half!

22 - CHANCE - Guilem has a good chance for the Champions League holders however Alan Gannon is in the way to prevent Barca from taking the lead.

36 - Free Kick - Barcelona have a free kick from 30 yards out which Romero takes. It looks to be heading towards the topleft hand corner but does not have enough power to beat Gannon. The score stays at 0-0.

45+1 - HALF TIME - Barcelona have had the better of the game but go in level at half time. Can Aberystwyth nick an unlikely victory in the second half?

49 - YELLOW CARD - Guillem reacts to a Lewis Doyle challenge by getting up and pushing the Aberystwyth Town man.

63 - RED CARD - Guillem receives a second yellow card for a late tackle on Panasen, can Aberystwyth take advantage of being a man up in the game.

70 - GOAL - Despite being a man down Barcelona take the lead after Fransisco's effort from 25 yards is parried by Gannon into the path of Rodrigo to volley home from just inside the area. Can Aberystwyth find a way back into the game?

90+2 - CHANCE - Aberystwyth Town should be taking this game to extra time after OAQ flicked on a long punt forward to club legend Lewis Doyle who went past the advancing goalkeeper, only to shoot into the side netting from a narrow angle. He really should have scored there!

90+4 - Full Time - Barcelona win their 8th European Super Cup and break Aberystwyth Town hearts in doing so...

Post Match:

View attachment 319839View attachment 319840

Barcelona deserved their win on reflection of the whole game, however we did miss two golden chances, especially the one for Doyle in the 92nd minute! I thought we might have been able to get the big win after they went down to 10 men however it wasn't to be and we now have to switch our attention to getting through our Champions League group.

In my next post I am going to set myself a few season objectives in order to try and keep the save interesting and add another element to it, as the domestic games can get a bit boring at times!

Aberystwyth Town Season 12 Objectives:

View attachment 319976

1) Win every league game -
Despite our domestic dominance, we have never managed to maintain a 100% record during any season.

2) Break the record for most league goals in a season - Currently held by Barry Town for 134 goals in the 1997/1998 season when the league had 38 games as opposed to the 32 it currently has. We fell just 5 goals short of it last year, so I think this may be the year we break the record.

3) Reach the Champions League Quarter Final - The furthest we have ever been in the Champions League is the 1st knockout round, so I would like to go one stage better.

4) Take 6 points off Anderlecht - Our performances against the 4th seed in the group in the past couple of seasons have been disappointing, so this year I want to see an improvement.

5) Have a player surpass the club record of 45 goals in a season in all competitions - The record is currently held by Lewis Doyle with 45 goals in the 2017/2018 season.

Next update will be the Champion's League group stage, could we make it through our group. Also, how many of our season objectives do you think we can achieve?

Yo! just thought id come back to see how you was getting on,

Really good progress mate :)

We both have europa league titles to our names now! The champions league is still impossible though!

Yo! just thought id come back to see how you was getting on,

Really good progress mate :)

We both have europa league titles to our names now! The champions league is still impossible though!

Thanks pal! What season are you in now? I think we're still miles away from the top teams in the Champions League, although we normally put up a good fight! Who did you beat in the Europa League final as well? Also, have any other teams managed to qualify for Europe yet?

Champions League Group Stage (Season 12)

Champions League Group H

View attachment 321213

Match Day 1 -
Aberystwyth Town 3 - 4 Arsenal FC

View attachment 321216

A crazy way to start our group stage as we lost 4-3 to Arsenal at Park Avenue. We went 1-0 up before quickly falling 3-1 behind, and then dragging ourselves back into the game at 3-3. However, no sooner had we drew ourselves level, had Arsenal gone and scored what would prove to be the winning goal through Jack Wilshere.

Match Day 2 - RSC Anderlecht 1 - 6 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 321217

We bounced back from our Match Day 1 defeat with a dominating 6-1 victory over the Belgian champions in their own back yard. I gave OAQ the nod over Kevin Conn in the poacher role and he managed to bag himself a goal and an assist, whilst record signing center half Douglas Altamirano notched a brace.

Match Day 3 - Sporting Lisbon 1 - 3 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 321227

Another brilliant result to follow up the Anderlecht result as I would definitely taken a point before the game, so to come away with a 3-1 victory was very impressive! Kevin Dindone opened the scoring before OAQ and Suazo bagged themselves a goal each and in doing so have justified my decision to make them my new first choice partnership over the two club legends Kevin Conn and Lewis Doyle.

Match Day 4 - Aberystwyth Town 4 - 0 Sporting Lisbon

View attachment 321228

Qualification is in the bag! An extremely comfortable second win against Sporting in two games meant we had qualified with two games to go. The goals were once again shared out as OAQ, Suazo, Dindone and Doyle all found themselves on the scoresheet.

Match Day 5 - Arsenal FC 3 - 2 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 321229

Another extremely frustrating game against Arsenal saw our 3 game winning run in the Champions League come to an end. Nico Pasanen put us 1-0 up in the 16th minute but Arsenal went straight from kick off and equalized before going 2-1 up in the 44th minute. We regrouped in the second half and got the equalizer our efforts deserved in the 84th minute through Finish winger Pasanen's 2nd of the game. But, we weren't able to hold out for the draw as Arsenal scored a 92nd minute winner.

Match Day 6 - Aberystwyth Town 2 - 0 RSC Anderlecht

View attachment 321230

The group stage closed out with a comfortable 2-0 victory over Anderlecht courtesy of goals from Suazo and OAQ. It could be considered slightly disappointing as we smashed them 6-1 away from home, however I was extremely happy as means I have achieved season objective 4!

Group H Final Standings

View attachment 321231

As you can see we finished a very comfortable 2nd in the group with our 4 wins and 2 losses. Our reward was a 1st knockout round game against the French giants PSG, who were in our group last season if you remember and we beat them 1-0 in the home game and lost 1-0 in the away game so I'm hoping we may have enough to get past them this year!

TNS in Europe

View attachment 321233View attachment 321234

Another promising aspect from this season is the fact that TNS managed to pick up 4 points from their Europa League group. Hopefully they can keep improving and help to push the league up the league coefficient rankings.

Next update will probably be our Champions League 1st knockout round against PSG, as I can't really see us making any transfers in January, although if we do I will post a transfer update! How do you think we will fare against PSG?

Thanks pal! What season are you in now? I think we're still miles away from the top teams in the Champions League, although we normally put up a good fight! Who did you beat in the Europa League final as well? Also, have
any other teams managed to qualify for Europe yet?

Im in 2019/2020..Been waiting on a new laptop so aint been on it lately!

And yes..still so far behind!! I beat PSV,Drew 2-2 then beat them on pens,

Allover the place though,Just got knocked out the champions league qualifying to Lech Poznan! S0 back to the europa league

Had nobody else qualify as of yet! The rest of the league is still so poor!

View attachment 322003

Just to let anybody who was following this know that I am not going to be playing this save any longer. I really enjoy the European side of things but the domestic side of the save has become more of a chore than it is fun. I've left the save at the end of season 12. We beat PSG in the Champions League First Knockout Round but then got beat of Shaktar Donetsk in the quarter finals. I also finally got 32 wins out of 32 in the league and broke the league goalscoring record in doing so. The league moved up to 12th in the competition rankings and the club up to 15th in the club coefficient rankings, so it's fair too say that they have improved slightly from when I took over.;)
I might come back to the save some time in the future but for now I am going to start a new challenge, but I'm not completely sure which one yet. I am thinking to maybe a youth academy challenge or the Great Scot challenge. Or I may go the complete opposite to what I usually do and start a challenge where your aim isn't particularly directed towards one particular club and is instead directed towards your career as a manager, maybe a club and country pentagon challenge! The only problem is I normally get attached to the club I manage and don't want to leave, so does anyone have any suggestions?​

I feel its important that you do something you want to do . That's how i would go about it

I feel its important that you do something you want to do . That's how i would go about it

Yeah, I decided against a manger save and decided to start the 'youth academy challenge' which I found on another site. You basically just start with a Blue Square North/South side and edit the team to have the best possible facilities and then only use players which come from your youth system. Started with FC United of Manchester in the Blue Square North (moved them using the editor because I couldn't be bothered downloading the lower leagues) in order to add the extra challenge of trying to take over Manchester with a youth policy versus the two big teams financial power. This should keep me entertained for many seasons!

After a week of starting saves and not getting into them whatsoever, I have decided to continue this save instead. So if anyone is interested I will continue to update this story???

After a week of starting saves and not getting into them whatsoever, I have decided to continue this save instead. So if anyone is interested I will continue to update this story???

that good to to know ill be reading

This is one of the best threads I have ever read inspired me to start my own. Have you got any tips on how to dominate the welsh league like you have.

Last edited:
Season 12 Review (2023 - 2024)

View attachment 324872

Welsh Premier League - Winners (32 wins, 0 draws, 0 losses, 139 scored, 10 conceded)

View attachment 324882

Welsh Premier League Cup - Winners

View attachment 324884

Welsh Cup - Winners

View attachment 324885

Champions League - Lost 6-2 on aggregate to Shaktar Donetsk in quarter final.

View attachment 324886View attachment 324887View attachment 324888

League and Club Improvements

View attachment 324891View attachment 324890View attachment 324892View attachment 324893

The improvements keep on coming here. The league jumps 6 places in the competition rankings from 18th to 12th and we jump from 20th to 15th in the club coefficient rankings with a strong performance in the Champions League. Apparently our club reputation increased as well, however is still rated as two and a half stars and described as national.

Objectives Review

1) Win every league game - Completed.
2) Break the record for most league goals in a season -
Completed as we managed to break the previous record of 135 by 4, scoring a huge 139 goals in 32 games.
3) Reach the Champions League Quarter Final -
Completed, next target is the semi finals!
4) Take 6 points off Anderlecht - Completed, we beat them 6-1 and 2-0 which is a massive improvement from our performances against the bottom seeds in the Champions League.
5) Have a player surpass the club record of 45 goals in a season in all competitions - Failed, OAQ managed to equal the club record with 45 goals, however did not manage to surpass it.

Manager's Comments

'It was another brilliant season for the boys as we were able to keep hold of all three main prizes in Wales, breaking many records in doing so. We also managed to get further in the Champions League than we had ever been before, however our quarter final performance was extremely poor. I have a plan to put in place for next season to try and improve the domestic game in Wales which I shall reveal in due time'

Next update will be a season 13 preview, including transfers and our Champions League Group draw.

Season 13 Pre-Season

Season 13 Pre-Season

View attachment 324995

Transfer Overview

View attachment 324979

Well in an attempt to quicken the process of improving other teams in our league we bought 5 players from 5 clubs each for £3,000,000 each, allowing for each club to turn professional, meaning there are now 7 professional teams in the league. Long term servant and Australian international center midfielder Kevin Dindone left to go to Tottenham for £7,250,000 as he was getting on a little at 28 and becoming a little injury prone, so I cashed in while his price was at a premium. Academy graduate and last seasons first choice right back Liam Brace also moved to the Premier League, joining Fulham for £5,000,000 plus 30% of his next sale. He never quite hit the heights I expected of him and I players ready to challenge for his position as right back so it was a good deal for the club.

Transfers In

Declan Chinyama - Experienced international midfielder from Zimbabwe. Will slot straight into the team as a deep lying playmaker and hopefully will hold down the role for at least a couple of seasons.

View attachment 324983View attachment 324984View attachment 324985

Erdal Zillies - German youth international full back who steps into the squad as back up right back. He has decent potential and I look forward too seeing whether he fulfills it.

View attachment 324988View attachment 324986View attachment 324987

Javier - Very similar to ZIllies in terms of squad role and potential, however is Spanish and a left back.

View attachment 324989View attachment 324990View attachment 324991

Phillip Schroter - Another young German brought in on a free transfer and has very good (4 star) potential. I couldn't move on either of my first choice left wingers so Schroter will spend a season in the under 19's and playing in a few cup games before hopefully challenging for a more prominent role in the first team squad in the season after.

View attachment 324992View attachment 324993View attachment 324994

Champions League Group G

Arsenal FC
Aberystwyth Town
Spartak Moscow
Heart of Midlothian

So.... yet another year where we are drawn against an English side! Arsenal are in our group for the second year running and we will have to improve from last year when they beat us twice. Spartak are also a good side and should provide stern opposition but I fully expect 6 points off Hearts. Unfortunately we are the only side from Wales in Europe this season as not one other team won a qualifier, hopefully the teams will strengthen over the next few seasons as their professional status will allow them to attract better players.

Season Objectives:

1) Reach the Champions League Semi-final - We must keep improving so the semi final is our aim!
2)
Have a player surpass the club record of 45 goals in all competitions in a season - OAQ got 45 last year and will be hoping to go even better than that this season.
3) Take points off Arsenal - They beat us twice last year so our performances must improve against them this season.

Next update will be of the Champions League Group Stages.

Champions League Group G

View attachment 325306

Match Day 1 - Aberystwyth Town 2 - 2 Arsenal FC

View attachment 325308

Match Day 2 -Heart of Midlothian 0-4 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 325309

Match Day 3 - Shaktar Donetsk 2 - 2 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 325310

Match Day 4 - Aberystwyth Town 1 - 2 Shaktar Donetsk

View attachment 325311

Match Day 5 - Arsenal FC 3 - 1 Aberystwyth Town

View attachment 325312

Match Day 6 - Aberystwyth Town 3 - 0 Heart of Midlothian

View attachment 325313

Final Group Standings

View attachment 325318

Managers Comments

' Well we once again managed to qualify from our Champions League group, however we will have to improve our performance if we stand a chance against Juventus, who we have be drawn against in the 1st knockout round. The two games against Hearts and the away performance at Shaktar were particularly impressive and if we can repeat these performances we may stand a chance of getting through. A quick update on our league form is that we have won all 16 matches so far, scoring a massive 87 goals and conceding 0, can we go the whole league season without conceding??'

Next update may be a transfer update if I do any business, and if not will most likely the Champions League 1st knockout round. Also, as you can see from the screenshots I have taken the Serbia National team job so if anyone wants to see updates of how I am getting on with them just ask!