lessthanjake

Reaction score
So I've been playing a game as Manchester City. As most anyone knows, you get ridiculous transfer budgets as Man City, allowing you to buy up a load of talent.

I would just like to show my ridiculous example of this. I am currently beginning the 2013/2014 season of a Man City game and after the first two transfer periods, I really did not know who to even bother getting; I already had a starting 11 filled with my choice of players. I decided to go about essentially creating a second starting 11. Partly, this was just because I could, but obviously it does serve something of a purpose. With two world class players at every position, I can rotate each game, making sure that every player is always fully rested, even if I'm having two games in a week. Furthermore, injury becomes mostly a non-issue when you have a world class player to replace the injured one.

Here's my first team:

GK: Rene Adler
DL: Gareth Bale
DC: Giorgio Chiellini
DC: Gerard Pique
DR: Sime Vrsalijko
DM: Moussa Sissoko
CM: Paulo Henrique
AML: Eden Hazard
AMR: Alexis Sanchez
Striker: Edin Dzeko
Striker: Sergio Aguero

Here's my second team:

GK: Rene Adler
DL: Aleksandar Kolarov
DC: Mats Hummels
DC: Pepe
DR: Glen Johnson
DM: Yaya Toure
CM: Javier Pastore
AML: Neymar
AMR: Mario Balotelli
Striker: Romelu Lukaku
Striker: Carlos Tevez

Obviously the only position that I do not have two world class players in is goalkeeper. I did have Joe Hart as a back up, but he just left because his contract ended (and he wouldn't renew since I hadn't been playing him). However, I do actually have the money to buy a second world class keeper. I have 20 million pounds left, which could certainly buy a top keeper, I just don't see the point, as Adler starts every match at 100% fitness and goalkeepers rarely get injured. If he did happen to get a long-term injury, I would be able to use that money to get another top keeper though.

In any case, beyond those players, I also have Miralem Pjanic, Gareth Barry, Micah Richards, Vincent Kompany, Joleon Lescott, and Nedum Onouha, a very solid group of players who can cover if I somehow get both players of a given position injured (someone in that group can play every position well, except striker, and if I had to, I would just rotate Neymar or Balotelli to striker and replace them at AMR/AML with Pjanic or Barry).

I just think it's absurd how good of a team you can make with Man City. I fully expect this team to win the septuple this season. So far, I am 6 games into the season and they have beaten Real Madrid (4-0), Arsenal (2-0), Manchester United (2-1), Porto (3-0), Fulham (5-1) and West Brom (3-0).

My personal favorite though was a pre-season friendly match against Hyde. Obviously they're a very lowly team that Man City should beat by a good margin, but I just won 21-0!

2vwo5zy3o
1ctak61c4

I dont even know what I'm going to do next season with my transfer budget. I suppose I should go about finding replacements for aging players, but my team is really young. I might just try to buy Messi next year instead. Does anyone else have stories of a ridiculously good Man City squad?

Last edited:
If you do not need anywhere strengthening , don't buy for the sake of it.
Aim to make a profit each season , just buy 1 or 2 players if you really need them.

Great squad^^ With that squad you could probably find an unbeaten tactic. How many matches did you lose? I think 1% of all matches

i had messi for a stupidly good man city side on fm2010, but i havnt managed to stick a man city save for long on fm2011 yet

Can you post screenshots of your transfer history over all seasons so far? I'm very curious as to how much it's cost you.

I always notice Man City spending huge amounts of money in every save I have. I'll notice they'll spend £150 million+++ usually in a season. They'll go and buy players for £15 million or so, then sell them the next season after they've only made like 5-10 appearances for the club. It's hysterical. I get great bargains from them if I want. They'll offer me Kolarov, Balotelli, Boateng, etc for like £3 million each. I love it.

Money talks I suppose. Even if your budget runs out, you can still use instalments because the owners will always be pumping money into the clubs. Will be hard to keep all those players happy though.

didnt they only do that till they fixed the transfer bug?

Nope. They still do. Around like 2013/14 they start doing it. The transfer bug prevents big name players from being offered at face value or less. I had Cristiano Ronaldo offered to me in the first season for £20 million at one point before the transfer bug was fixed.

pleased to see Vrsaljko in your first team.
How many goals you concede? Your full-backs are A (attacking) and only D (defend duty) are 2 defenders and DMC..

Perhaps you could look after good youngsters to maintain your invincible squad

I always play like that. Not with two Worldclass linups but to very decent linups. Its really effective.

haha how much have you spent so far?

More than I would like to admit. I accidentally way overpaid for Hummels (wasn't paying attention and accepted 48.5 million pounds when I probably couldve gotten him for like half that). I spent obscene amounts to get Pique and Chiellini, and since I knew I had so much money to spend, I didn't actually bother too much with cost-saving strategies like trying to unsettle players, befriending their head coaches, waiting for contracts to expire etc etc.

But you made me curious, so I just looked it up. Over the course of 4 transfer periods, I have spent 517 million pounds. I think it could've been significantly less if I had actually bothered to make sure I paid as little as possible for people.

How much wage are you paying?

They're not actually that bad, I don't think. My wages add up to 2.73 million pounds a week.

If you do not need anywhere strengthening , don't buy for the sake of it.
Aim to make a profit each season , just buy 1 or 2 players if you really need them.

Obviously thats a good rule of thumb normally, but there's no point in aiming for a profit when you're Man City and the owner just pays off any debts you incur.

Great squad^^ With that squad you could probably find an unbeaten tactic. How many matches did you lose? I think 1% of all matches

I haven't actually finished the season with this squad yet. So far I'm 6-0 including victories against Manchester United, Real Madrid, Arsenal, and Porto though.

I imagine I'll lose games though. My team is ridiculously good due to depth, but if Manchester United, Chelsea, Arsenal, or some other top European club doesn't have injuries or suspensions to deal with, their starting eleven will likely rival mine (though my team would certainly still win the majority of the time). Thus, I figure I'll drop 2 or 3 games this season.

Money talks I suppose. Even if your budget runs out, you can still use instalments because the owners will always be pumping money into the clubs. Will be hard to keep all those players happy though.

I think I can keep them happy simply because of the fact that winning everything means there are a lot of games to be played. If I go all the way in every tournament, I will end up playing 66 games, meaning every major player could get 33 starts as well as a handful of appearances off the bench. I believe that should be enough to keep them happy.

It becomes boring if you only have world class players in your squad, much more fun finding talent. And developing...i got mancity save too, and of course i buy, but mostly quality youngsters and wonderkids.

Last edited:
Glen Johnson World Class?

Absolutely. First off, I'm playing with my fullbacks set as attacking wingbacks so attacking skill is quite important. He's still developing a bit, but right now Glen Johnson has 15 in pace, acceleration, and crossing. His dribbling is 13, but his agility is 15 and balance 17. The combination of those things makes him one of the best right backs in the world at attack. Maicon and Dani Alves are better, while Srna, Ramos, Lahm, Azpilicueta, Santon, Corchia, Rafinha, and Vrsaljko are about even with him at attacking.

And with 14 in tackling and marking, as well as 15 strength, 17 decisions, as well as solid statistics in the other defensive stats, he's comparable or better defensively than Srna, Alves, Santon, Corchia, and Rafinha. What's more, he has a 17 in stamina and 16 in work rate.

So I would argue that in my game right now, the only right backs in the world that are better than him are Maicon, Alves, Ramos, Lahm, Azpilicueta, and Vrsaljko. To me, that makes him world class.

More slight spoiler evidence:

To back this up, he currently has the 7th highest CA in the game amongst right backs in my game, and the 11th highest Current Rating (FMRTE stat) amongst right backs.

How many goals you concede? Your full-backs are A (attacking) and only D (defend duty) are 2 defenders and DMC..
You'd think I would concede more than I do actually. My center backs and my pressing are so good that I don't give up that many goals. Last season I gave up 25 goals in the premier league, 10 goals in my Champions League run, and overall 43 goals in 66 matches. However, last season, my main defensive partnership was Chiellini/Pepe with Lescott/Onouha as their backup. This season it will be Chiellini/Pique with Hummels/Pepe as their backup. Furthermore, I just got Vrsaljko, and Vrsaljko/Johnson at right back is better defensively than Johnson/Richards was. So I expect this significant upgrade in defense to decrease that number even further. So far it seems to be working out that way, as I've given up only 2 goals in 6 matches against tough opposition (Real Madrid, Manchester United, Arsenal, and Porto combined to score only 1 goal on me).

Last edited:
I can't understand why this sheikh invests such an amount of money in a club. He won't probably win money like that and it's a little bit expensive if it's just for fun