JohnCowell

Reaction score
Greetings,

I occassionally hear it mentioned that I should use more than one formation during a season or else the FM2011 AI engine will get used to it. I don't undertstand why as I am playing different teams every game. Each new team I play will be exposed to my formation for the first time (or 2nd time). So why does the formation lose it's effectiveness towards the end of the season? Or have I misunderstood? Am I suppose to play more than one formation per GAME not per SEASON?

Any ideas?

John

Therefore you should put 3 tactic on match preparation

No it isn't , he is talking about tactics and he has put in the tactics and training section.
How is that wrong?

Edit : When I started to quote it , he had said 'Wrong Section'. I meant that not what he has edited it to.

Last edited:
Well, like in real life, your opponents would 'study' the way you play before the match. This is what the AI does. The longer you use the same tactics, the better other teams will understand how to counter it. There is no need to make drastic changes though. Small ones each match are fine like moving one player to a different position, changing a role, switching two players ect.

Greetings,

I occassionally hear it mentioned that I should use more than one formation during a season or else the FM2011 AI engine will get used to it. I don't undertstand why as I am playing different teams every game. Each new team I play will be exposed to my formation for the first time (or 2nd time). So why does the formation lose it's effectiveness towards the end of the season? Or have I misunderstood? Am I suppose to play more than one formation per GAME not per SEASON?

Any ideas?

John

As mentioned, use 3 formations. Thats why I've been successful with my club. I tend to switch formations around to keep opponents guessing. And in some cases, because injuries neccessitate it. Should always have variety or at some point you'll get gubbed-speaking from experience lol

I thought the AI learning your formation is a myth. I do believe that when your team's current form (and possibly reputation) is on a high, AI teams seems to sit deeper and play on the counter a lot. Thats what I've noticed in my games, must be just me though.

I always play 442, but have different settings for everything else (different width/tempo etc). I have 3 tactics. 2 of these i will use at match start, then i will alternate between the 3 depending what is happening in the match. I seem to be doing all right playing this way.

Have 3 tactics on match preperation with workload at the highest, until at least your 50% 'familiar' on each setting. I was told not to change anything else. Im presuming you can change the dline as it dont appear in the match prep screen, but i choose to have everything the same.

Change player roles. I agree with that on swapping players pre/match and in-match. seems to work for me anyways

I dont change formation but do change style of play depending on opponent and during the matches ,
like mixing up your passing if i go up a goal i will change philosophy and tempo.

I dont change formation but do change style of play depending on opponent and during the matches ,
like mixing up your passing if i go up a goal i will change philosophy and tempo.

more attacking when face weak team or if you're favourite odd. counter if you're not.
and don't forget about match preparation because that's your basic when sudden change your tactic

i usually just create a tactic at the start of the game depending on my team, and stick with it very rarely change anything, so i dont think they adapt that much,

I use 4 formations and rotate them in and out depending on how well the team learns them - at the beginning it's hard for them to know any but the "stock" formations (which I eventually replace). Also, when a new player comes in, I sometimes have to return to a stock formation, but I digress. The other teams definitely find counters to my plans and eventually I have to mix it up again, but so far I've been successful enough to win most of the games. I'm playing São Paulo though, so that is how it should be. The game before I played Fortaleza and it was a lot harder.

It can be a bit off a pain but, if you keep to a standard formation, start the game and then pause it straight away, change the system slightly say from an attacking approach to a counter, the ai will be fooled. it will think it knows how to counter act your system but in reality, you play a slightly different system. This means any pre match game plan the ai has will go out the window, and it will have to think about your new tactics in real time, Which will give you a head start, especially if your players have had plenty of match preparation with the changed style of play.

Thanks for all the info and that last point from AHTsunami sounds good. I'm deffo gonna try that.

AI DOES NOT LEARN YOUR FORMATION, THAT IS A MYTH.

What happens is that no team wins all games, so when you are on a huge winning streak, the games generates a code which gives weaker teams huge odds to defeat you, that is all ^.

Ahhh! That's not fair! Where's the reality in that?

Are you saying then slbenficacoach that I can use the same formation/tactic all season?

AI DOES NOT LEARN YOUR FORMATION, THAT IS A MYTH.

What happens is that no team wins all games, so when you are on a huge winning streak, the games generates a code which gives weaker teams huge odds to defeat you, that is all ^.

The first bit you've posted is 100% correct, the second is another myth. **** happens, get over it. The game doesn't purposely make you lose just because you're on a huge winning streak.

Perfectly, I used the same tactic for 3 seasons straight, then changed to another tactic that I have been using the last 4 seasons, in fact, it is best not to change at all, it just depends on the players and on their adaptability to the tactic.

Ahhh! That's not fair! Where's the reality in that?

Are you saying then slbenficacoach that I can use the same formation/tactic all season?

What Tharros' is correct.
Small changed every so often will work.

Well, you do not lose always, and it is not on purpose, it just to
bring some reality, but you know, when you are facing the weakest club of your league at home, with your best players, it is a bit suspicious if they beat you 2 or 3 nil ^^ when you had beat Real or Barça at home last week(of course complacency also has its effect)
The first bit you've posted is 100% correct, the second is another myth. **** happens, get over it. The game doesn't purposely make you lose just because you're on a huge winning streak.