Aiming for the top (Edinburgh University)

Season 2011/2012

Edinburgh Uni's first season in the dizzy heights of the Scottish 1st Division was going to be a very difficut one. Scott Hood had taken them from complete obscurity to the brink of the big time, but it was going to be a nigh on impossible task in staying there.

To combat this, the board had turned the club semi pro, but Hood would need to strengthen considerably if he was going to improve the team and stay in the division.

Pre Season

Having turned semi pro, it was important to secure the players who would still be required on new deals, to stop them leaving scot free.

Consequently, Greg Paterson, Stuart Currie, Adam Hinshelwood, Lewis Toshney, Laurence Gaughan, Gerry Mclauchlan, Greg Ross, Warren Cummings, Nicky Low, Mark Gilhaney, Jordan Lowdon, Stephen Maguire and Sam Parkin, were offered and subsequently accepted, part time contracts for the new season.

OUTS
21 players were deemed surplus to requirements, and contract rebel Mick Dunlop signed his own part time deal with division 2 East side Cowdenbeath.

INS
8 players were brought into the side during the preseason on deals of a part time nature. Scott Hood had been allowed to spend money on wages for the first time, and he made it count, with some big name signings at this level. Former Bolton striker RICARDO VAZ TE and ex Celtic man CILLIAN SHERIDAN were the two big name signings, and were joined by a number of other youngsters and veterans, including ex Charlton and West Brom goalie DEAN KIELY.

View attachment 68058

Preseason Fixtures

Edinburgh University were all set to play just two friendly matches in the build up to their biggest ever season. Scott Hood's side would play Premier League Hearts as part of the partnership launched two seasons before, as well as Division 2 side Auchinleck Talbot.

Results

Auchinleck Talbot 1 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(Vaz Te, Parkin)

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 3 Hearts

Hood: "Not a great pre season if I'm honest. I thought we started poorly against Hearts and came back into it later in the game, but we were never really troubling them, which is an issue we have to address."

Season 2011/2012 odds

Skybet make Ross County favourites to win the Scottish First Division in the new season. Whilst making Edinburgh Uni and Irvine Meadow favourites to drop straight back into the regional leagues.

The First Quarter (July/August/Sept 2012)

The season was all set to begin, and an Edinburgh Uni side untried at this stage was anxious to begin. The fixture list had thrown up a difficult opening to the season, with games against three established first division outfits in Livingston, Stirling Albion and Clyde.

A decent start to the season was acquired though despite a loss to Livingston, and Scott Hood saw his team pick up three points from their opening three games.

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 1 Livingston

Clyde 1 - 1 Edinburgh Uni
(Greg Ross, 68)

Edinburgh Uni 2 - 0 Stirling Albion
(Cilian Sheridan 28, 59)

Hood: "This was a stunning start to a difficult season ahead for us. I fully anticipated 3 defeats from 3, but the performances were great. Cilian has fit in exceptionally and to get the two goals that brought a huge win against Stirling was great."

With the league cup campaign also starting to take shape it was important that the Uni kept top players fit. Scott Hood used first teamers sparingly in the competitions group stage, and saw a narrow win in the competition (League cup results in blue) against lower league opposition.

Edinburgh Uni 3 - 2 Dalbeattie Star
(Gilhaney 37, Ramage 36, Vaz Te 82)

Raith Rovers 3 - 0 Edinburgh Uni

Stenhousemuir 0 - 0 Edinburgh Uni

So as July came to an end Edinburgh Uni had had a chance to find their feet in the first division. A win against Stirling proved that they had what it takes to compete at this level of football, but defeat at the hands of Livingston, and heavily at Raith showed that there was a lot of work to be done if Hood was to keep his team in the league.

Monthly Review

Hood: "It's been a hard start, but a worthwhile exercise in my view. The team have seen where they need to be if they are going to survive, and the Raith match was a real lesson for them. We just have to push on from here"

Player of the month

For the way he came straight in and scored the two vital goals on his debut against Stirling to grab us the win, my award this month goes to CILIAN SHERIDAN

League Standing

Four games in and it's been a modest start. We had a decent three points from three, but we are looking down rather than up already.

View attachment 68077

August

The start of August brought real controversy ahead of the game with fellow favourites for the drop, Irvine Meadow. A BBC news report stated:

View attachment 68078

This brought a welcome fire to the match against Irvine Meadow, and saw the two managers refuse to shake hands before the match. A match that would leave a huge imprint on the table come next May.

View attachment 68079

FT: Edinburgh Uni 3 - 0 Irvine Meadow
(Ramage 48, Ross 51, Mchale 64)

Two quickfire second half goals gave Edinburgh the win, and showed the Irvine Meadow boss that he shouldnt go running his mouth before such a big match in the future.

Inverness 4 - 0 Edinburgh Uni

East Stirling 1 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(Ramage 85, Kind-Bendiksen 90+4)

Dalbeattie Star 0 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(McGuire 55, Ross 74)

Two wins from two in the league through August improved the teams position in the league and gave them a real chance of staving off the threat of relegation. The rivalry with Irvine Meadow would also intensify due to the behaviour of the two managers.

Monthly Review

"It's been another hard month for us, but we have managed to get two wins in the league which was exceptional for us. To defeat Irvine Meadow after the comments from Strain was also extra sweet haha."

Player of the month

With the goals he's managed to notch for us at important times from the midfield, the award goes to GREG ROSS

League Standing

With our two wins this month, the Uni have jumped as high as sixth in the league, but are not getting carried away at all.

View attachment 68088

September

Time to push on for the Uni through September. No one expects us to finish anywhere near as high as 6th in the table, but we need to focus on winning as many games as possible.

Partick Thistle 1 - 0 Edinburgh Uni

Edinburgh Uni 1 - 1 Stenhousemuir
(Graeme Ramage 81)

Airdrie 4 - 1 Edinburgh Uni
(Cilian Sheridan 73)

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 2 Inverness

Edinburgh Uni v Dumbarton

View attachment 68093

A stunning comeback win from Edinburgh Uni having been down early doors. Great goals and flowing attacks really put relegation rivals Dumbarton to the sword here.

FT: Edinburgh Uni 4 - 1 Dumbarton
(Sheridan 11, 48, Vocajek (og) 16, Ross 39)

Monthly Review

"Another difficult month for us, but we have to come to accept that the whole year will be difficult. We got a huge win over Dumbarton, and as long as we keep beating those below us, we should be ok."

Player of the month

A first award, for his courage and bravery in the centre, to Norwegian youngster THOMAS KIND-BENDIKSON

League standing

View attachment 68089

A quarter of the season down and we sit in 9th, three places clear of the dreaded drop zone. As I have said before, as long as we continue to win against those near the bottom, we should be just fine.

Meet Me Halfway (October/November/December 2012)

After a cagey opening quarter of the season, Scott Hood took his troops into October without the hassle of midweek league cup games. It was the league all the way for the foreseeable future, and the manager wanted to ensure that his team were up for the challenge.

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 3 Forfar

Alloa 1 - 1 Edinburgh Uni
(Cillian Sheridan 27)

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 0 Ross County
A draw with the league favourites really boosted us and gave us a precious point, we celebrated hard that night!

Monthly Review

"After another difficult month, in which we only scored one goal, I look at the real possibility of us being involved in a relegation dogfight. This league really is a difficult one, and we will do very well to stay in it."

Player of the month

To come out of this month with two precious draws, it has to go to a defender, and young Sean McDaid has been wonderful at left back!

League standing

After 12 games of the new season, it's starting to take shape, and we sit in 10th place, a position I'd be ecstatic to see us occupy at the end of the season

View attachment 68219

November

With three more league games to play throughout November, the onus was on us to try and consolidate our place outwith the drop zone. Games against Ayr, St Mirren and Livi were going to be very difficult however.

Ayr 3 - 1 Edinburgh Uni
(Ricardo Vaz Te 25)

Edinburgh Uni 0 - 1 St Mirren

A hardfought game against a team who were destined for the top of the division, and we were devastated to lose a late goal to Michael Higdon.

Livingston v Edinburgh Uni

View attachment 68221

This was a game in which we took the lead early, and then looked destined to lose it. We kept going though, and Cillian's last minute goal saved us from another defeat, giving us a precious point.

FT: Livi 2 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(Vaz Te 13, Sheridan 90+1)

Takeover

View attachment 68222

This month also saw Iain Calderwood take over as chairman of the club. After many years, John Ballantyne felt that he had taken the club far enough, and a younger man should take the reins. Calderwood told Hood straight away that no funding was to be provided to him.

Scott Hood did make the request however that he should be given a new contract. Hood angrily told the media that despite the club being semio pro, he was still not being paid for his role as manager. The board commented that Mr Hood's request was under consideration.

Monthly Review

It turned out to be just as difficult a month as I had imagined. We managed to stay in our precious 11th place however, and the point at Livi is absolutely priceless for us. I only hope my contract issues can be resolved soon.

Player of the month

After fitting in well and breaking his scoring duck in the league, the award goes to Portuguese RICARDO VAZ TE.

League Standing

After 15 games we sit 11th in the league, still just above relegation places. We need a good month or two if we are to stave off this very real threat.

View attachment 68220

December

Coming into December we were staring the mid point of the season in the face. This had to be a good month to set us up for the next part of a tough road. With only two games of which to speak, we had to really hit the ground running.

Edinburgh Uni v Clyde

This was a game we went into without much hope of a win, but we battled and got a breakaway goal after just 7 minutes when Ricardo cut their defence in two with a great run. We hung on bravely for almost 80 minutes before Jamie Mole broke our resistance. Still, it was a great result as no one around us had been picking up any points against the league leaders.

View attachment 68208

FT: Edinburgh Uni 1 - 1 Clyde
(Ricardo Vaz Te 7)

Brechin v Edinburgh Uni

The biggest match in months and one we really had to win. We dominated from the start but couldnt put away chances time and time again, until Cillian scored with a cracking volley just before the 20 minute mark. We were under pressure for a short time, but Thomas' goal made all the difference and we recorded our first win in 8 league games.

View attachment 68209

FT: Brechin 0 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(Sheridan 19, Kind-Bendiksen 58)

Scottish Cup

View attachment 68210

"We also faced the excitement of another Scottish cup draw in late December. I went along to witness the draw for round 4, where I saw us paired against our old rivals in Bo'ness Utd".

Monthly Review

"We have to be pleased with this month all in all. There were only two league games in the month so to come out with three points is extra special, and to get our first win in eight was outrstanding."

Player of the month

For his performances and goal assists, the award really has to go to GREG ROSS

League Standing

View attachment 68217

We are now past the midway point of the season, and with just 13 games to go, we are still in the thick of it. But we have yet to occupy a relegation place and I'll be looking to keep it very much that way til the end of the season.

Last edited:
Can I just check if anyones reading this? Im having a great time writing it just wanted to check and see

I'm reading this too, you're doing well :)

Hopefully you'll manage to comfortably avoid relegation and build for next year!

Cheers lads. Just wanted to check if I was writing just for myself haha

3rd Quarter (January/February 2012)

After a decent first half of the season, and a good fight against the teams also thought to be in danger of relegation, Scott Hood's charges entered 2012 with confidence that they could survive in the Scottish Division One.

Stirling Albion 3 - 2 Edinburgh Uni
(Cillian Sheridan 33,50)

Edinburgh Uni 1 - 3 Raith Rovers
(Thomas kind-Bendiksen 2)

Key Match: Irvine Meadow v Edinburgh Uni

Going into this game tensions were rising again, Irvine had yet to win their first game in the league this season, and Chris Strain was again talking nonsense about Scott Hood, saying that Edinburgh should keep looking down, and that his bottom of the table side was likely to inflict some damage in this vital home game.

The game started with the Uni pressing, and when it went to half time at 0 - 0, Strain would have undoubdtedly been the happier manager.
He wasnt happy 3 mins after halftime however when Raymond Kalla dropped the ball into his own net to give Edinburgh Uni the lead. Strain's relegation fears were furthered when the superb Greg Ross rifled home from the edge of the box with 52 minutes on the clock.

View attachment 69449

FT: 0 - 2
(Kalla og 48, Ross 52)

Edinburgh Uni 2 - 0 Bo'ness Utd (Scottish Cup)
(Ramage 16, Graham 88)
Next round draw v Ross County (a)

Monthly Review

"I cant deny that it was a bad start to the month this time around. Having beaten Stirling at the start of the season, this defeat was hard to take. We were totally outclassed by Raith as well. However, beating Irvine so comfortably and getting one over on Strain was just sweet!"

Player of the month

Solid in the middle throughout...THOMAS KIND BENDIKSEN

League standing

We may have only picked up the two points this month, but Dumbarton only picked up one, and this allowed us to put someone between us and the relegation zone, so I'm pleased.

View attachment 69450

Transfers

"For the first time, because Im working with a budget, and with money as opposed to being amateur, I had to make do mostly with what I already had. Tam Graham's signing on loan from Raith was the only incoming player, whilst, for the first time since I came here, no one left!"

February

Three league games and a cup game were to dominate the calander for us in Feb. We trained really hard over the winter and I really hoped it would pay off in this crucial month.

Edinburgh Uni 2 - 0 East Stirling

(Gilhaney 90+2, Ross 90+4)

"What a strange game. With ES having Fisher sent off after one minute for pulling Ricardo down as last man, we would have thought it'd be easy for us. We pushed and pushed all day but we just couldn't get a winner against their defensive formation. However, Mark's goal in stoppage time gave us the lead and then Greg's goal on the break meant that we secured a seriously good two points."

Edinburgh Uni 2 - 1 Partick Thistle
(Vaz Te 23, Kind-Bendiksen 38)

"We got another stunning win here. I am delighted to have won two in a row, and this will really help our survival hopes."

Dumbarton v Edinburgh Uni

Once again, we played a team below s and knew we needed to win. We were helped immensely by the confidence of two wins in a row prior to this match and lined up in an attacking formation. Three goals all within the space of 9 minutes proved vital as we got another two points and inched closer to safety, and further from Dumbarton.

View attachment 69493

FT: 1 - 3
(Vaz Te 40, Graham 43, Sheridan 49)

Ross County 0 - 1 Edinburgh Uni (Scottish Cup)
(Sheridan 22)
A properly stunning result for this club! We have been a small club forever, and now to have beaten a club of such high stature in the cup is wonderful! We go onto previously unreached levels in the cup...WHERE WE HAVE DRAWN GREENOCK MORTON FROM THE SPL

Scott Hood again angrily told the media that despite the club being semio pro, he was still not being paid for his role as manager. The board commented that Mr Hood's request was still under consideration, and that they were displeased he had gone to the media again with a club issue.

Monthly Review

"What a month we have had! Who could ask for more than four wins from four games! The Ross County result was phenomenal for our team, but the fact that it was in the cup detracts from it a little. Another league win would have been so much better! The Dumbarton result was key and edges us ever closer to survival.

Player of the month

For having the strength to battle through difficult media pressure and still keep on scoring...CILLIAN SHERIDAN

League Standing

I feel like we are almost there now to be honest! 7 games to go and we sit in 10th place. Lets keep pushing on!

View attachment 69451