Aitor Herrera - The King Of Bilbao

1583584556575.png

AUGUST

alaves.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain (Villalibre), Fati*

The championship banner was unfurled, last seasons champions walked out and we easily beat Alaves and tbh we could have scored 6 or 7 such was our dominance. Ibarrondo came off the bench to make his debut.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba*, Williams, Ibarrondo, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (Alvarez)

Yes we got the win but this is a sign that we aren't going to get things all our own way this season as we struggled without Unai Lopez and Fati as Ibarrondo and Villalibre aren't at the same level. Early days though. Leganes actually had a late equaliser disallowed.

--

0-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

Meh. Not a bad point I suppose. Valencia were the better side but we kept them out.

--

SUMMARY

We have had a decent start to the season by collecting 7pts out of 9 and keeping 3 clean sheets. It will take time for my team to click again I would imagine with the changes that have been made so I have to be happy with how we have started.

There was no more transfer news apart from the fact that I loaned a few youngsters out including Nico Serrano who played a couple of times last season.

In the Champions League we have been given a nightmare draw. I have never ever ever seen a draw with clubs of the big 4 European leagues all been put in the same group. It will be an achievement just to get 3rd place.
GROUP F.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ILAIX MORIBA

ILAIX.png

--

LIGA BBVA
aug.png

1583662802404.png

SEPTEMBER

zaragoza.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Sancet, Alvarez*, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

Carlos Alvarez announced himself to the football world here with 2 amazing goals. The first was a solo run and finish and the 2nd was a chip/cross from 25 yards into the top corner.

--

UEFA Champions League Group F
liverpool.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Williams, Ibarrondo, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati

I will take any point that we can get in this group so I am happy to draw with Liverpool. Kevin Rodrigues came off the bench to make his debut here.

--

sociedad.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams*, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati

Derby day joy as we beat Real Sociedad 4-0 for the 2nd time running. Capa scored a great first goal from outside the area while Fati's 2nd goal was a fine finish from a tight angle.

--

eibar.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati*

A superb hat-trick from Ansu Fati gave us the win here but it could have been even better for him as he also had 2 goals disallowed! Their goal was our first conceded in the league so that was annoying.

--

coruna.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Sancet, Alvarez, Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain*, Fati (Villalibre)

Muniain has been awful so far this season but he put on a match winning performance here with his 2 goals. Ansu Fati didn't have a good day though as he missed a penalty.

--

rbl.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Sancet), Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

**** sake. We drop to the bottom of the group with defeat here but I can have no complaints as we were pretty poor. Getting even 3rd place in the group will be a tough task now as we are 2pts behind Roma and Leipzig. Capa got injured here and will be missing a few weeks.

--

SUMMARY

Our strong start to the season continued here as we put in some fine performances. In the league the highlight was the 4-0 derby win over Real Sociedad while great individual performances from Carlos Alvarez, Ansu Fati and Iker Muniain won us a few other league games. In the Champions League however much work has to be done as we got a decent draw against Liverpool but Leipzig beat us away to leave us with a small mountain to climb already.

Next month is huge and will be a true barometer as to where we are after the summer changes as we will play Atletico Madrid, Real Madrid and Barcelona in the league plus Roma in the Champions League.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ANSU FATI
fati.png

--

LIGA BBVA
sep.png

Attachments

• 1583661953777.png
    1583661953777.png
    922.1 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
1583674927915.png

OCTOBER

atletico.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregaribia, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Villalibre (Alvarez)

FFS. We put in another poor performance here and deservedly got punished as we lose our first league game of the season and fall 5pts behind Barcelona and Real Madrid already.

--

gijon.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregaribia, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Sancet, Williams, Unai Lopez*, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

It was imperative that we got back to winning ways and we did just that. Unai Lopez scored his 1st goal of the season which took its time.

--

roma.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregaribia, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Larrazabal, Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain, Fati*

What a win and performance this was. It was a thrilling match with chances aplenty but it was us who nicked it as Ansu Fati scored a late penalty after Diawara handballed. We move up to 2nd place in the group now and everything looks rosy in the group all of a sudden lol.

--

barca.png

Lineup - Simon, Aguirregaribia, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Rodrigues), Dani Garcia, Sancet (Nolaskoain), Williams, Ibarrondo (Vesga), Muniain, Villalibre*

WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Get in!!!! Going into this game without Capa, Moriba, Fati and Unai Lopez I would have bitten your hand off for a draw but to smash 4 past Barcelona with such a weakened side is some achievement. Villalibre got his first goals for us and special mention for Oihan Sancet who ran the midfield and got 2 assists before he went off injured.

--

betis.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregaribia), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain (Villalibre), Fati*

Fati's 2nd hat-trick of the season gives us the win over Betis who are managed by one of my ex coaches funnily enough. Fati also had a goal disallowed.

--

madrid.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Nunez, Martinez, Yeray, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Alvarez (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain*, Fati (Villalibre)

WOW. Another fantastic victory. Real Madrid came into this match with a 100% record but we beat them here. It looked as if a draw was on the cards and Real Madrid had also had a goal disallowed but Villalibre popped up with a late winner and Ibarrondo sealed it with his first goal for us.

--

SUMMARY

When we lost 1-0 to Atletico Madrid at the start of the month I was quite depressed and dreading the rest of the month and being 5pts behind Barcelona and Real Madrid at the time with them both to play in the month I was seeing our chance to retain the title slip through our hands but not at all as we were fantastic afterwards.

The tipping point was the 2-1 away win against Roma in the Champions League which was a huge fillip and then in our next match we trounced Barcelona 4-2 and a 3-1 victory over Real Madrid at the end of the month was just as good.

Not perfect but everything is running along nicely at the moment.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
IKER MUNIAIN
muniain.png

--

LIGA BBVA
oct.png

1583687150049.png

NOVEMBER

3-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregabiria), Yeray, Martinez*, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Sancet), Williams (Alvarez), Unai Lopez, Cordoba, Fati

Our amazing run of form continues. The performances are really at the top level and we beat Roma 3-0 after they had a goal disallowed early on. We should at least get a Europa League spot now at the very worst.

--

villarreal.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregabiria, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba*, Williams, Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

Once again we put on a show. Ilaix Moriba was outstanding as he got 1 goal and 2 assists. Williams scored with a volley from just inside the box which was the goal of the game.

--

getafe.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Vesga), Williams (Villalibre), Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain, Fati

The scoreline suggests another top notch performance but it wasn't. We got 2 pens and that was pretty much it until Yuri fired in late on. Last season Aduriz was our top scorer in all comps with 18 - Fati now has 17 already!! 9 have been penalties though.

--

pool.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

Going into the last 10min it was deservedly level but we shat the bed and ended up losing 3-1. We now have to beat Leipzig in our final match to go through - a draw is no good.

--

osasuna.png

Lineup - Simon, Aguirregabiria, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Sancet, Williams (Alvarez), Ibarrondo*, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

Ibarrondo at the double. He is doing very well surprisingly as he was promoted to the first team out of nowhere. Pity he has no player pic which puts me off him lol.

--

SUMMARY

A near perfect month with only the defeat to Liverpool blotting our copybook. In the league we are in 2nd place, sandwiched between Real Madrid and Barcelona, so I am happy that we are keeping pace but Sevilla away is our next league game and that could be tricky.

In the Champions League we have a huge match against RB Leipzig coming up. We have to beat them to progress and if we don't we go into the Europa League.

I have had to rotate my players a bit this season so far which has given the backups more game opportunities. Capa has missed several games due to injury and suspension while Moriba needs a rest every other week as he was involved in the Olympics. Other players have been tired too but the players that have come in such as Ibarrondo, Villalibre, Sancet and Aguirregabiria have been great.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YURI
YURI.png

--

LIGA BBVA
nov.png

Attachments

• villarreal.png
    villarreal.png
    86.4 KB · Views: 67
1583792535968.png

DECEMBER

sevilla.png

Lineup
- Simon*, Capa, Nunez (Bustinza), Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Sancet), Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

An excellent away performance which turned in a minute in the 2nd half when Simon saved a Sevilla penalty and we immediately went up the other end of the park to score through Unai Lopez. Muniain scored a screamer too. Bustinza made his debut but this was where I find out he is not a natural centre half but a right back - I ****** up there.

--

2-1.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

Through we go into the knockout stages! We fell behind early on and it looked like Europa League football was our destiny but a wonderful goal from Yuri brought us level and Sancet came off the bench to get the winner. I am delighted to go through but I fancied our chances in the Europa League lol.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Bustinza, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati

Very impressive. We won easily here and that is 9 in a row in the league with the last 5 being with clean sheets. Cordoba came off the bench and scored a double which was pleasing as he is a good player but arguably my 3rd best LW behind Muniain and Fati.

--

GRANADA.png

Lineup - Simon, Capa, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Yuri, Sancet, Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati*

We head into the winter break in fine form. Fati got a double here to take him up to 20 for the season and everything in the garden looks rosy - apart from the fact that we are 2pts behind Real Madrid lol.

--

SUMMARY

4 games - 4 wins - how can I complain? lol. Tbh I have one complaint and that is that we actually managed to get out of our group in the Champions League as we ended up drawing PSG in the next round whereas if we dropped into the Champions League I would have fancied us to win it but hey ho.

We are on a great run in the league as we have won our last 10 and kept clean sheets in our last 6 but yet we are still in 2nd place as Real Madrid just keep on winning the buggers that they are!

Worth a mention - Barcelona sacked Setien and their new manager is Zinedine Zidane!!!! The mind boggles.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI LOPEZ
UL.png

--

LIGA BBVA
DEC.png

1583963478635.png

JANUARY

View attachment 489699

Lineup - Simon, Capa (Aguirregabiria), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez*, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

We kick off the new year with yet another victory but it wasn't all plain sailing as we fell behind which meant it ended our run of keeping clean sheets and the run ended at 6.

--

Spanish Super Cup Semi-Final
View attachment 489721

Lineup
- Simon, Capa, Yeray*, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

This new fandango of the Super Cup is weird but we have reached the final anyway. Yeray had a goal disallowed in our last match but got the only goal of the game here early doors.

--

Spanish Super Cup Final
final.png

Lineup
- Simon, Capa*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet, Williams (Alvarez), Unai Lopez, Muniain, Villalibre (Cordoba)

Meh - no Super Cup for us. We matched Barcelona but they got the goal in extra-time to win it. We missed Moriba and Fati a lot here due to them being on loan from Barcelona.

--

gijon.png

Lineup - Simon, Aguirregabiria, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Dani Garcia, Moriba*, Williams (Alvarez), Ibarrondo, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

Yeray scores again! We sneak past Gijon here to keep up our winning streak.

--

0-2.png

Lineup - Simon, Aguirregabiria, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Sancet, Williams (Alvarez), Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Cordoba, Villalibre

After 12 straight wins in the league we lose here to Barcelona. It was always going to be a tough ask as I was without several players and Williams went off injured early on also so that didnt help. At least Real Madrid dropped points and we have the better head to head record over Barcelona.

--

Copa del Rey 3rd Round
at.san.png

Lineup
- Simon, Odriozola, Nunez, David Garcia, Rodrigues, Vesga, Nolaskoain (Vencedor), Alvarez, Ibarrondo (Larrazabal), Vicente*, Villalibre (Galan)

I expected a bigger winning margin but hey ho. Odriozola made his debut here as did Vencedor, David Garcia, Galan and Vicente and it was the latter who starred with his 2 goals. Back to the B team he goes though lol.

--

deportivo.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia (Nolaskoain), Moriba, Unai Lopez, Ibarrondo, Muniain, Fati

Deportivo are stranded at the bottom of the league with only 1 win and we thumped them here. Yuri scored with 2 stunning free-kicks while Deportivo have Joe Hart in goal.

--

Copa del Rey 4th Round
rayo.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregabiria, Nunez, David Garcia, Rodrigues, Vesga, Nolaskoain*, Alvarez (Larrazabal), Ibarrondo, Cordoba (Vicente), Villalibre (Galan)

Never would I have imagined that Peru Nolaskoain would have scored a hat-trick but he did here. Rayo ran us close tbh but our superior quality came out on top in the end.

--

atletico.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Nolaskoain), Alvarez, Unai Lopez*, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

We gain revenge over Atletico as they beat us earlier in the season so we beat them here despite falling behind early doors. Fati missed a penalty too so we could have been further in front.

--

SUMMARYT

We had a hectic start to the calendar year with games coming on 3 fronts. The league took care of itself largely although we did lose to Barcelona and we finish the month 1pt off the top behind Real Madrid. In the Copa del Rey my backups got us through but Valencia await in the quarter-finals. As for the Super Cup we edged out Atletico Madrid before losing to Barcelona in extra-time in the final which was disappointing.

There were 2 departures and 2 signings during the month. Unai Bustinza was sold to Osasuna for £800,000 as he wasn't a natural CB and in return I signed a CB from Osasuna in the shape and form of David Garcia who came in for £1.5m.
dg.png

Then I noticed that Real Madrid had transfer listed Alvaro Odriozola but I couldn't afford him so I sold Ander Capa to Leicester City for a very good fee of £29.5m and brought in Odriozola in his place for a paltry £22m which is a great piece of business as Odriozola is a definite upgrade and he is 4 years younger so it was a no brainer really.
odriozola.png

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
UNAI LOPEZ
UL.png

--

LIGA BBVA
jan.png

1584048875544.png

FEBRUARY

Copa del Rey Quarter-Final
valencia.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Alvarez, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati

Phew. I got extremely lucky here as I started the 2nd half and then went to get a beer and got distracted. I came back at full time and fortunately we won through but I had obviously made no subs so my players are shattered.

--

leganes.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola (Aguirregabiria), Yeray, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Alvarez, Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

A good performance and result with a missed Ansu Fati penalty being the only down point. Yuri got 2 assists and was impressive.

--

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 1st Leg
sporting.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola*, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Vesga), Alvarez, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

Even with their last minute away goal I am confident that this will be enough to see us through to the final. Carlos Alvarez scored a great opener and it was his shot that caused the own goal too. Barcelona beat Real Madrid 4-0 in the 1st leg of the other semi.

--

1-0.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri*, Dani Garcia (Vesga), Moriba, Artola, Ibarrondo, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Pedro)

In order of preference Williams, Alvarez, Larrazabal and Rodriguez are my RWs in the system at the club and all were unavailable here so 5th choice Juan Artola got his debut here as did 16y/o striker Pedro.

--

alaves.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri (Aguirregabiria), Dani Garcia, Moriba*, Alvarez (Ibarrondo) (Nunez), Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati

With Real Madrid slipping up we are top of the table again so it is imperative that we keep on winning and we did so here despite being down to 10 men although we were 2-0 up at the time which helped lol.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 1st Leg
psg.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez (Nunez), Rodrigues, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Sancet), Unai Lopez, Ibarrondo, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati

We matched PSG here and fully deserved a draw although they are still huge favourites to go through although I should still feel confident considering what we have done against Barcelona and Real Madrid. Hopefully for the 2nd leg I will have Yuri and Williams back - both of whom were missing here.

--

levante.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola*, Yeray, Nunez, Yuri, Dani Garcia (Sancet), Moriba, Rodriguez, Unai Lopez, Muniain (Cordoba), Fati (Villalibre)

WHAT THE ACTUAL ****!!!!!

We were 2-0 up and cruising with Odriozola and Rodriguez getting their first goals for the club (Rodriguez on his 1st appearance of the season) but we fell apart and lost the game. Totally unacceptable and potentially this result could cost us the league title.

--

SUMMARY

This month was going along swimmingly until the last match against Levante where we threw away a 2 goal lead to lose 3-2 and lose the top spot in the league. I am so ****** off at that result and I think it is the first time we have thrown away such a lead. We end the month 3pts behind Barcelona and level on points with Real Madrid.

In the Champions League we got a creditable draw at home against PSG but typing this after the Levante match we have no chance of going through and will be relegated in the league lol - I am feeling lower than a snakes belly at the moment.

On the plus side it looks like we are in the Copa del Rey final and next month we have the youth intake which apparently has a golden generation of players coming through.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
YERAY
YERAY.png

--

LIGA BBVA
feb.png

1584187389162.png

MARCH

Copa del Rey Semi-Final 2nd Leg
gijon.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregabiria, Nunez, David Garcia, Rodrigues, Vesga (Moncayola), Sancet, Williams (Pedro), Ibarrondo*, Cordoba, Villalibre

Into the final we go. I decided to play my backups and they did just as well as my 1st team did in the first leg. Moncayola made his debut for us here while Inaki Williams returned from injury.

--

sevilla.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Moriba (Sancet), Williams, Unai Lopez (Ibarrondo), Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

At 1-1 our league title chances were almost down and out so I was naturally delighted when Villalibre struck the winner.

--

granada.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues, Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams, Unai Lopez*, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

A fine victory which was rounded off by a wonder goal from Alvaro Odriozola who has scored twice in his last 3 league games now.

--

UEFA Champions League 1st Round 2nd Leg
psg.png

Lineup - Simon, Odriozola, Yeray, Martinez, Rodrigues (Aguirregabiria), Dani Garcia, Moriba, Williams (Ibarrondo), Unai Lopez, Muniain, Fati (Villalibre)

I cant fault my players here as they put in a great performance but just couldn't get that 2nd goal to see us through on away goals. Well in fact we did but Fati's strike was disallowed. A shame but we move on.

--

osasuna.png

Lineup
- Simon, Aguirregabiria, Nunez, Martinez, Yuri, Dani Garcia, Sancet (Vesga), Williams (Alvarez), Ibarrondo, Muniain (Cordoba*), Fati

We were without several players here but still managed to pick up the win. Our first goal was a joke as their keeper got the ball on the goal line, stood next to the post and literally just waited for Fati to poke it in.

--

SUMMARY

I suppose this was a mixed month as despite winning every league fixture we were harshly dumped out of the Champions League against PSG. Although we more than matched PSG they just had that extra world class quality that we are lacking and while domestically we keep pulling up trees we are a long way off the pace continentally.

The youth intake was average. One decent player but nobody to shout out from the rooftops about.

However I am willing to do that about my B team who astonishingly are 11pts clear at the top of the 2nd division. I kinda thought they would finish in the top half but they have stormed the league with goals aplenty coming from Morcillo, Larrazabal, Guruzeta and Vicente.

--

PLAYER OF THE MONTH
ALVARO ODRIOZOLA
ODRIOZOLA.png

--

LIGA BBVA
MARCH.png

Hi mate, what a fantastic story. Incredible dominance in La Liga!! I've just started with Bilbao. Would you mind telling/showing me your tactics used?