PaperClipFMer

Reaction score
View attachment 242673

Newcastle United have confirmed caretaker manager John Carver and coach Steve Stone have left the club.BBC Sport learned on Tuesday that the pair had been sacked, with former England coach Steve McClaren favourite to be the next Magpies boss.Carver, 50, won three of his 20 games in charge following the departure of Alan Pardew to Crystal Palace.Managing director Lee Charnley said a new head coach would now be able to "build his own coaching team".Carver, who led the Magpies to Premier League survival on the last day of the season, said it had been a "privilege" to manage the team.He added: "The fans and the region deserve a successful team and both myself and my support staff worked very hard with the squad that was available to us."I wish the club every success for the future and, steeled with the experience of the last six months, I am eager and ready for the next challenge."

View attachment 242672

McClaren, 54, was sacked by Derby County last month after failing to take them to the Championship play-offs.He was twice approached by Newcastle towards the end of the season but preferred to stay at Derby.Charnley said: "After discussions with John it was mutually agreed that in the best interests of the club, and to enable the new head coach to build his own coaching team, we would go our separate ways."John loves Newcastle United and no-one could have worked with more passion and enthusiasm than he did."Carver, who played as a junior for Newcastle, returned to his hometown club in 2010 and was appointed assistant manager to Pardew the following year.In May, after taking nine points from a possible 48, Carver said he was "the best coach in the Premier League" adding: "If I have the right tools I can do the job."He also accused one of his own players, defender Mike Williamson, of getting sent off on purpose in the 3-0 defeat by Leicester.Former Nottingham Forest and England midfielder Stone, 43, joined Newcastle as academy coach in 2009, before being appointed reserve-team assistant manager. He was later promoted to first-team coach under Pardew.

View attachment 242671

Steve McClaren has turned down the opportunity to take the vacant managers position at Newcastle United!

The former Derby boss, who was sacked by the rams last week after failing to win promotion, has turned down the offer for the third time after caretaker manager John Carver left the club along with his backroom staff on Tuesday.

McClaren's decision has come as a shock to the Newcastle hierarchy and will now have to start the search for a new boss all over again.

Patrick Viera has now moved to 7/2 favourite with skybet to fill the vacant void, with David Moyes 4/1 and Harry Redknapp 5/1. The reality however is that with this decision coming as such a shock, the next manager could really be anyone.​

View attachment 242670
In an unusual step, Newcastle owner Mike Ashley has written an open letter to Newcastle fans about the vacant managers role.

"I would like to state on record that we have now found a suitable man to fill the vacant managers role here at Newcastle United.

We were very disappointed with the decision that Steve McClaren made and we will not hide that he was the preferred choice. However, we have to work with what we have and that means making the best of this situation. I'm aware a lot of our fans are becoming restless with the club not having a man in charge but this decision has been made in the best interest of the club in mind.

A press conference has been arranged for 10am tomorrow morning where we will announce our decision".​

View attachment 242665

In a shock decision which no one was expecting, Newcastle have appointed club legend Alan Shearer as Newcastle manager.

The decision has been made with much deliberation after number one choice, Steve McClaren turned down the offer. It is understood that not all board members were in agreement with the decision after Shearer was last in charge of the club in 2009 where the failed to keep the club in the Premier League.

Shearer took the managers job for the last 8 games of the season of the 2008/2009 season after Joe Kinnear was taken ill midway through the season. Shearer could not help the club avoid relegation as they finished one point behind Hull in 18th place. A 1-0 home defeat to Aston Villa sealed their fate, Shearer left his role after the game.

Since then Shearer has been working for the BBC as a football pundit and has been working on Match of the day as well as covering the World Cup in 2014.​

So, who am I?

View attachment 242664

I am Alan Shearer (you all knew that anyway).

I was born on the 13th August 1970 in Newcastle and grew up supporting Newcastle United.

SOUTHAMPTON

View attachment 242645

My football career began when I joined the youth set up at Southampton aged 16. After 2 years in the youth sides, I was handed my professional debut as a substitute against Chelsea, aged 18. In my full debut two weeks later, I made headlines by scoring a hattrick, helping the side to a 4-2 victory over Arsenal.

I ended up having 5 very successful years at Southampton where I struck up a great partnership with club legend, Matt Le Tissier. I went on to score 43 goals in just over 150 games for the club. During my time at Southampton, England manager, Graham Taylor handed me my first international cap. I marked my England debut with a goal in a 2-0 win over France.

In the summer of 1992, Southampton were innundated with offers for me from various Premier League clubs. Eventually Blackburn were successful with a £3.6million offer.

BLACKBURN
View attachment 242644
I started well but missed a lot of my first season due to injury. I ended up scoring 16 goals in my first 21 games. The 199-1994 season was when I really got going, I scored 31 goals in 40 games and helped the club to a runners up slot in the league.

In the summer of 1994 Chris Sutton joined the club to accompany me up front (we were to be named the SAS) and it did the trick as the club went on to claim their one and only Premier League winners trophy. On a personal note, I went on to score 34 goals this season which is still a record to this day. I went on to have 4 years with Blackburn but unfortunately, we couldn't ever regain the league title.

Then in the summer of 1996 I was subject to a world record transfer offer of £15 million which was made by both Man Utd and Newcastle Utd. I had several long chats with Sir Alex Ferguson and joining the Red Devils but in the end I just couldn't turn down Newcastle Utd, so on the 30th July 1996 I signed for my childhood team.

NEWCASTLE
View attachment 242643

Newcastle had finished second the previous season and we managed by club legend, Kevin Keegan. I had 10 absolutley brilliant years at the club and broke all scoring records possible. I finished with 206 goals in 405 games. Sadly though we couldn't convert this into silverware, the closest we got was the 1998 Fa Cup final where we lost 2-0 to Arsenal.

Despite the lack of silverware, I still had some fantastic times at Newcastle and wouldn't swap them for anything. We had a league finish of 4th in the 01/02 season after the great Bobby Robson had took over as manager, this meant we qualified for the Champions League where we qualified from the group stage, I scored 7 goals in the process.

We also made it to the Semi Finals of the Eufa Cup the following season where we were knocked out by Marseille. In my final season at the club, i broke Jack Milburns goalscoring record of 200 club goals, this was the proudest day of my career.

ENGLAND

View attachment 242642

My international career can be looked back on with disappointment, although my goal scoring record was good (30 goals in 62 games) we couldn't convert this into winning anything. I didn't feature much in the side when England failed to qualify for the 1994 World Cup (I was still at Southampton at this point) but I still felt the disappointment.

The 1996 Euro's was when I made my International mark. England went into the tournament as favourites and therefore didn't have to qualify, I entered the tournament in the worst form of my career. I hadn't scored for 12 International matches, but Glenn Hoddle stood by me and I repaid him with 5 goals and finished the tournaments top scorer. England progressed to the Semi Finals where we were knocked out by Germany on penalties.

In 1998 Glenn made me England captain, this still stands as the proudest day of my career. 1998 also saw me take part in my only World Cup where England were once again knocked out by a penalty defeat, this time to Argentina. After a bitterly disappointing Euro's in 2000 I retired from International duty at the age of 30.

MANAGEMENT

View attachment 911608

I have only one managerial experience and that was back in 2009 when I failed to keep Newcastle in the Premier League after taking over for the remaining 8 games of the season. This is something I am wanting to put right.​

Right, my first day in the job and I get in early. I want to have a good look at the lads training today so I take a step back and allow the coaches to take the training today ...

View attachment 242638

GOALKEEPERS:
View attachment 242634
The goalkeeper position isn't an area that needs any improvement. Tim Krul will undoubtedly be our number one this season, he's plenty good enough and could be one of the best in the league. He also has over 100 appearances for the club in a 10 year stay and has 6 international caps for Holland as well, so he brings plenty of experience.

Experience is something that both the other keepers have very little of. Karl Darlow looks decent and certainly has potential. He's currently on loan at Forest this season but will provide cover and competition for Krul in the future.

Rob Elliot isn't really good enough. I'll keep him this season and look to get rid next season when Darlow comes back.

DEFENDERS:
View attachment 242633
The defence definitely needs some improvement. Fabricio Coloccini is a good center back and current club captain, he'll be first choice. I don't think that Steven Taylor nor Mike Williamson are good enough however. They're both decent back up options but I wouldn't want to rely on either for a full season. Jamaal Lascelles is another player with good potential but he too is on loan at Forest and will return next season.

The right back slot is sorted with Daryl Janmaat the first (and only) choice. My concern is the lack of competition.

We could really do with a new left back as well, although Massadio Haidara looks okay, he's bang average. Paul Dummet doesn't really offer much competition either.

CENTRAL MIDFIELD:
View attachment 242630
We look okay in central midfield, although we could possibly do with one more. Moussa Sissoko will be first choice and again could be one of the best in the division.

Cheick Tiote is also a very good player, although he's possible better suited to a defensive role. Jack Colback will offer great competition and is very able to come in if needs be, but I wouldn't want him starting every game, the same can be said for Vernon Anita.

Mehdi Abeid looks a good prospect but probably not ready for first team action yet, maybe a loan move would be best.

ATTACKING MIDFIELD:
View attachment 242629
Attacking midfield also looks decent. Remy Cabella looks a very good player to play behind the striker, Siem De Jong will be his nearest challenger for this role.

Rolando Aarons looks to have potential but again isn't ready for the Premier League, I'll probably look to loan him out.

None of the others are good enough with the only possible exception being Gouffran who still has the possibility to win me over.

STRIKERS:
View attachment 242628

We certainly need to add numbers here. Although Cisse and Perez look pretty decent, I still think they need more competition. Riviere also looks pretty decent but may need some time to adapt.​

After my first day at the club and seeing the lads train for the first time, I had a meeting with Director Mike Ashley ...

View attachment 242601

Mike Ashley - Hi Alan, how are things?

Alan Shearer - Good thanks boss. I just wanted to discuss this season's transfers with you. What sort of budget are we looking at?

Mike Ashley - We're willing to give you £15 million this season. We really want a good season this time around. We've tried to do things on the cheap before and it hasn't worked.

Alan Shearer - Thats good boss, much needed as well after watching the lads train yesterday.

Mike Ashley - Just so you, we expect, and demand, a top half finish by spending this money Alan!

Alan Shearer - Okay, thats definitely doable. I'll speak with Graham Carr (chief scout) this afternoon.

View attachment 242598

Last edited:
Straight after that talk with the director, I was straight on the phone to Graham Carr (chief scout) ...
View attachment 242599

Alan Shearer - Hi Graham. I've just had a chat with Mike Ashley and he's provided us with £15 million to spend this season.

Graham Carr - That's great Alan. What positions do you want me to look at?

Alan Shearer - Well, I saw the lads train yesterday and I think we need a few additions. We certainly need a center back and just adding depth pretty much everywhere.

Graham Carr - Well I've been busy this summer and I've seen a couple of defenders ...
View attachment 242595

Graham Carr - Ron Vlaar is the first defender to bring up. He's absolute quality and is in the last year of his contract. Just come back from the World Cup where was one of the best defenders in the tournament. He has other interest from Marseille so we'd have to act quick for him. He can probably be picked up for £4-£5 million.
View attachment 242592

Youness Kaboul is another good defender with bags of experience. Tottenham are pretty keen to get rid so he can be picked up for a similar fee to Vlaar. It's pretty tight between who's the better player but Kaboul is without doubt on the downward spiral of his career.
View attachment 242591

Winston Reid is the last pick. I would say he's probably the best of the three but West Ham are going to want more like £8-£9 million which is pretty steep.

Alan Shearer - Good work that Graham. See what you can do with Ron Vlaar. I was very impressed with him when i covered the World Cup. I think Kaboul is a spent force and Reid just too dear. Speak to Villa and see what you can do mate! Can you also look into a midfielder and a left back as well?

Graham Carr - Will do boss. I'll report back in a couple of days.

After speaking with Graham Carr, Mike Ashley phoned me with some more transfer news.

Mike Ashley - Alan, I forgot to mention, before your appointment I agreed a couple of transfers. We agreed for Georginio Wijnaldum and Alexandar Mitrovic to sign.

Alan Shearer - Yes, still go ahead with the if you can. Both good players and in positions we need to strengthen.

Mike Ashley - Great, I'll get the deals done. I won't take the money used here out of your £15 million budget either.

Alan Shearer - That's great, I'll see them at training.

View attachment 242590

Newcastle United have signed PSV Eindhoven midfielder Georginio Wijnaldum in a £14.5m deal.
Netherlands international Wijnaldum becomes the first arrival under head coach Steve McClaren.
The fee for the 24-year-old is the biggest single amount paid for a player during the eight-year reign of Newcastle owner Mike Ashley.
Rotterdam-born Wijnaldum, who has been at PSV since 2011, has signed a five-year contract at St James' Park.
He has been capped 13 times by the Netherlands and scored his country's third goal in their 3-0 win over Brazil to finish third at the 2014 World Cup finals.
"I'm delighted to be a Newcastle United player," Wijnaldum said.
"I felt the time was right for me to move and the club have shown they really want me.
"There are a few players here who are from Holland - I know them well and they will help me feel at home at Newcastle. I cannot wait to get started."
Wijnaldum is set to link up with McClaren's squad for the three-game tour of the United States, which kicks-off against Mexican side Club Atlas in Wisconsin on 14 July.
McClaren said: "The signing is a real statement for the club.
"It is a big transfer for a very good player and I am delighted to have Gini here. He is the right age and the right fit for Newcastle."

View attachment 242587

NEWCASTLE UNITED HAVE COMPLETED THE SIGNING OF ALEKSANDER MITROVIC!

Mitrovic signs for £11.5 million from Anderlecht.

The forward went on to score 16 goals for Anderlecht last season in the year he really came to prominence. Mitrovic also broke into the Serbia side year and has gone on to make 6 appearances, scoring 1 goal.

After a couple of days, Graham Carr came back to me about the defenders we spoke about ...

Graham Carr - Hi Alan, I've been speaking with Aston Villa about Ron Vlaar and have arranged the below transfer, let me know if you want to go ahead with it ...

View attachment 242586

Alan Shearer - Looks good to me that Graham, go ahead with it.

Graham Carr - Good stuff. The board have already spoken to the players agent and agreed a 4 year deal on £32.5k per week. They just need your approval.

Alan Shearer - Tell them to do it! Very happy with that!!

View attachment 242583

NEWCASTLE FANS ANGER AT SHEARER APPOINTMENT!

View attachment 242486

Skysports have been in Newcastle today following the protests of the fans about the appointment of club icon, Alan Shearer.

We interviewed many fans to get their take on the situation, "He's completely out of his depth" said one fan "He's had a go at managing our great club before and failed miserably" Said another.

The general feeling was that Alan Shearer is still held in great regards as a player, but as a manager there weren't too many kinds words for the legendary goal scorer.​

Loving the presentation mate. As a Newcastle fan myself I will be following very closely!

NEWCASTLE MANAGER BRINGS IN 2 FORMER PLAYERS AS BACKROOM STAFF.
View attachment 242485

First of all, Newcastle appointed former midfield player, Nicky **** as first team coach. **** enjoyed 6 years at Newcastle towards the end of his career after spending 11 years at Old Trafford. He was signed by former Newcastle manager, Sir Bobby Robson and played alongside current manager, Alan Shearer.

**** didn't enjoy the best of starts with Newcastle after injuries restricted his game time in his first year at the club. Those injuries, and loss of form, saw **** being loaned out to Birmingham city where he had several bust up with manager, Steve Bruce.

He returned to Newcastle for the 2006/2007 season which is when **** became much more involved and scored his first goal for the club by netting the winner against Tottenham.

2007/2008 was another good season for **** who became an ever present and celebrated this by signing a contract extension.

For the 2008/2009 season **** was made vice captain behind Scott Parker. Although this season eventually ended in relegation to the Championship, **** was one of the few players who could keep his head high after that season.

He then stayed with the club for their pursuit of promotion back to the Premier League. After playing a big role in this achievement, **** announced his retirement at the end of the season.

**** had most recently had coaching spells at Manchester United where we worked with the under 21's. However the former Champions League winner saw joining Newcastle as a step up, "I see this as another step up in my coaching career and moves me closer to joining a club as manager which is my ultimate aim. I look forward to working with Alan and hopefully we can bring some success along the way".

The second man to join the coaching staff at Newcastle is former winger, Nolberto Solano.

View attachment 242484

Solano enjoyed 6 years on Tyneside during the late 1990's and early 200's. He then rejoined the club in the summer of 2005 and stayed for another 3 seasons. Solano remains on the fans favourite ever players.

During his first spell at the club, he joined from Boca Juniors where he played alongside Diego Maradona. After impressing in Argentina, Newcastle signed the Peru international for just over £2 million. His proudest moment was walking out to the 1999 Fa Cup final where sadly the club lost to Manchester united.

Loving the presentation mate. As a Newcastle fan myself I will be following very closely!

Thanks mate. I'll hopefully get chance to update a couple more signings tonight :) I'm loving your story by the way, I'd have never have thought to write one like that :)

Thanks mate. I'll hopefully get chance to update a couple more signings tonight :) I'm loving your story by the way, I'd have never have thought to write one like that :)

No worries. I like that you are actually signing our transfer targets for the next season. Also loving the signing of Solano as back room staff! Cheers mate, weren't sure what peoples perception of it was!

Coming into the office after hiring the two new staff members, I came into my office with a message from Mike Ashley saying we received offers for 3 first team players.

Mike Ashley - Hi Alan, just thought I'd let you know we have received decent offers for Jak Alnwick, Mehdi Abeid and Gabriel Obertan. I wanted to know what your intentions were with them for this season?

Alan Shearer - Right, well that good then boss. I don't really have any plans for Jak Alnwick or Obertan who can leave the club for all I care.

Mike Ashley - Right, I'll get those deals done then. What about Abeid?

Alan Shearer - I quite like Mehdi Abeid, although he's miles away from the first team. I think he has decent promise though. How about sorting a loan.

Mike Ashley - Consider it done.

View attachment 242406

Well, most people knock Mike Ashley but I can't fault him here.

He was true to his word by selling Alnwick and Obertan for £150k and £1.7 million respectively as well as loaning Mehdi Abeid to Burnely.​

With the money that Obertan and Alnwick brought in, along with the left over transfer fund, I was on the look out for another couple of additions ...

View attachment 242404

Blackburn striker, Jordan Rhodes is main target number one.

I looked at a few other options but Rhodes looks to be the best one available. The other targets I looked at were Charlie Austin, Danny Ings and Saido Berahino.

It is very tight between Austin, Ings and Rhodes who's the better player. Berahino would have been my preferred choice but West Brom were after over £25 million for him which is ridiculous. Ings and Austin also proved too expensive.

View attachment 242403

After speaking with the directors at Blackburn (god that was hard work), I agreed the above offer. I know this is a lot of money but Rhodes is pure quality and should bang them in given enough service.

With that agreed (subject to agreeing terms with the player) I carried on looking for new additions ...

View attachment 242401

Bryan Oviedo looks a decent option.

I was keen to improve our left back position and I think Oviedo will do that. He should also bring a lot to the side going forward.

View attachment 242400

Again, I agreed the transfer with Everton for Bryan Oviedo.

We agreed to only pay £1 million up front with another £1.6 million to be paid over 24 months.​