Album(s) of 2008

Gregor

like a (super) mod
Reaction score
Whats been your favourite album of the year?

I dont think there has been any great albums this year....my faves tho have been Last Shadow Puppets, Blood Red Shoes, Johnny Foreigner, and Foals

It's been a pretty rubbish year for new music for me. There's only two albums I can think of that I've actually enjoyed and those are:

• Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling
    • As Mogwai albums go it's pretty average, but the fact it meant me and Gregor could go to see them live earns them a 8/10 rating from me.
  • Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords
    • If you haven't seen the FotC tv series yet go get it watched, really funny show and the second series is starting soon too. 7/10

I loved Death Magnetic obv. LSP's was ok but def very samey. All Hope is Gone by Slipknot is very good as well.

Don't get me wrong i love music but i dont buy many albums

I thought Coldplay's was decent but was disappointed with Oasis

Best for me has been Dream Theater's greatest hits

Mogwai - The Hawk Is Howling 4/5
Very Solid Mogwai album, if the second half was as good as the first it would be their best album. Batcat, Scotlands Shame, I'm Jim Morrison, I'm Dead all Mogwai classics already. Nice to see them try somethign really different in Sun Smells too Loud as well, would be nice if they figured out how to play it live.

Errors - It’s Not Something But It Is Like Whatever 3.5/5
Not a great album but good debut. Pity I missed them supporting Mogwai :(

Portishead - Third 4/5
Long wait for this album and it was worth, great album.

Flight of the Conchords - Flight of the Conchords 4.5/5
My favourite album this year. A comedy album but the musics also pretty good. Not sure if I would have liked it as much if I had seen the tv show.

65daysofstatic - The Distant and Mechanized Glow of Eastern European Dance Parties 4/5

An EP but meh. 65dos went from post rock with some electronics to a full blown techno EP, great stuff.

---

This year has however been mostly dissapointing, with the follow letting me down the most:

Metallica - Death Magnetic (At the point id listened to id only heard their 'classic' albums and not the ****** stuff they had doen since the black album so was hoping for something good)
Cansei de Ser Sexy - Donkey
Primal Scream - Beautiful Future
Sigur Rós - Með suð í eyrum við spilum endalaust (the biggest let down of all, before this i was desperate to see them live, but now I would only go if it was compeltly free, the album was that bad its tarnished their opther previous great albums)

Last edited:
[B

---

This year has however been mostly dissapointing, with the follow letting me down the most:

Eagles of Death Metal - Heart On
Metallica - Death Magnetic (At the point id listened to id only heard their 'classic' albums and not the ****** stuff they had doen since the black album so was hoping for something good)

Yeah I thought Heart On might have been better. I still liked it, especially I'm Your torpedo, but i thought it might have been better. Death Magnetic is >>>Load, Re-load and St. Anger, and for me its a good attempt at going a bit more old school. Suicide and Redemption ftw.

Meh this year hasn't been very good for music.

My favourite albums have been:

Appeal To Reason by Rise Against - 4/5

Another solid album. Seems they've completely refused to acknowledge their hardcore influences for this album and it's more of a pop/punk album, but that doesn't take any credit away, because the melodies are absolutely fantastic as usual. Things that let it down, was a slight decline in the lyrical standards and the vocals got kid of samey, needs to be more of the screaming from previous efforts. Drum beats could have been faster as well.

Somewhere In The Between - Streetlight Manifeto 4.9/5 (just because perfection is impossible)

What can I say? This band is by far one of the biggest talents of the decade. Tomas Kalnoky has to be one of the best writers of music in the modern industry, the structure of songs and the intricality of instruments is just awesome. The melodies of the horn section are by far the best ska has to offer. Lyrically, I have yet to find anyone who tells it like he does. The song "The Receiving End Of It All" shows absolutely everything. Flawless.

The Bright Lights Of America - Anti-flag 3.5/5

I felt kind of let down with this album, but pleasantly surprised at the same time. This album is like a roller coaster. It's an interesting album and musically it is no longer punk rock. It's pop-punk/folk/melodic hardcore/pop-rock. It really is that diverse. The song structures are kind of boring in some songs, but the music is still catchy. It's got a mixture of types of songs which is great, but it's too diverse for an album. The lyrics are pretty well written which makes it slightly better. It shows a band that has certainly matured over the 16 years they've been playing. The middle of the album lets it down - too many samey attempts at songs that are too light to be punk songs, but sounds like the band are trying to hold on to their punk edge. The verses in some of the songs are very boring. The songs Good N Ready, The Ink And The Quill, Go West, The Modern Rome Burning and The Smartest Bomb show what the album could have achieved. The songs No Warning, The Bright Lights Of America, If You Wanna Steal... and We Are The Lost show why it's disappointing.

Only 3 albums I've listened to and enjoyed more than a bit.

Yeah I thought Heart On might have been better. I still liked it, especially I'm Your torpedo, but i thought it might have been better. Death Magnetic is >>>Load, Re-load and St. Anger, and for me its a good attempt at going a bit more old school. Suicide and Redemption ftw.

Infact gunna take that back, listening to it now its and alright. Dissapointed still though, the first 2 albums were great and had so many memorable songs.

Moby - Last Night (4/5)
Seemed very different for a Moby album but I enjoyed it and has a few great songs.

Sonny J - Disastro (3/5)
Dance/Pop mixage. Very corny but ok to listen to.

Katherine Jenkins - Sacred Arias (3.5/5)
Beautiful music. Although some of it is awful.

Portishead - Third (5/5)
Easily my fave album of 2008. Really good music and a very diverse set of songs that all work well together.

Infact gunna take that back, listening to it now its and alright. Dissapointed still though, the first 2 albums were great and had so many memorable songs.

EODM or Tallica?

EODM

Although i have gotten used to Hetfield wimpy voice now

Watershed - Opeth

Death Magnetic - Metallica

Shogun - Trivium

All Hope Is Gone - Slipknot

Black Ice - AC/DC

Last year I loved Alopecia by Why?, We Are Beautiful, We Are Doomed by Los Campesinos!, Waited Up 'til It Was Light by Johnny Foreigner, and Microcastle by Deerhunter. Oh, and Dananananaykroyd's Sissy Hits EP was brilliant too. And For Emma, Forever Ago by Bon Iver, and Such Fun by Annuals.