God i hate this story, makes mine look so bad. :'( lol

Want to stop reading it but can't. You do a fantastic job mate, unbelievable!

It's been a weird week for me. Gwen was in Milan for Milan Fashion Show Summer 2015 edition all week. So it's been really quiet at our villa. She texted me nearly constantly which was really sweet and cute at first, but it became apparent that this was a really trying week for her. Non-stop drama. We skyped every night. She took part in several 'shows' in which she had to parade up and down a runway. I went to one once. You know, to see what it's like. What a completely foreign universe existing so near to my own.

Clothing is so different for me. I have three wardrobes. First, there's my tshirts and jeans accompanied by indoor or artificial turf football boots. Then, there's my suits. That part is easy. Just go to a good tailor, hand over your credit card and, shazam, you have a bunch of high-quality, custom Italian suits. By some nice designer dress shoes and I'm done with number two. Then there is my Bologna Wear. I've got training jerseys, track suits, rain gear, parkas, hats, scarves that I wear in and around anything associated with the club. The only time they mix is on match days. Those days I wear a suit with a weather-appropriate amount of Bologna Wear.

For example, all of the players are scheduled to make appearances. At a sporting good store, a restaurant and stuff like that. I wear some weather-appropriate clothing from my Bologna Wear collection. This week, I was scheduled to appear at the Deli of a guy who's an Ultra. He paid a fee to have me and Federico Casarini appear. We signed shirts, programs and random scraps of paper. We took a load of selfies with supporters who paid a small fee to get into the event.

My Massad shadow stood conspicuously nearby giving everyone the evil eye. There were three people from communications there to manage the event and Noam looking threatening. I could see a picture of the deli owner with all the previous managers and a few of the stars. Like him and Roberto Biaggio when he had all his hair. I would soon join them on his wall.

"Your job sure is easier when we're winning isn't it?" I asked Noam in English as we walked toward my car. He shrugged.

"You keep winning after you get us into Serie A and I might be out of a job," he replied.

"I doubt it," I said. "In this age of fear, I can't see a guy with your skill set being unemployed for long. Plus, this club has a habit of self immolation. Furthermore, the Ultras are far more radicalized even than not so long ago when I was still playing."

"They are crazy," he said. "What I don't get is when a club has Africans, for example, on their team. Their Ultras chant racist **** against an opponent's African player. It makes no sense."

"No ****," I replied. "And the efforts to stamp it out are a joke. It's all window-dressing. Fix the crack on the wall with more mortar but don't fix the structural problem that the corner of the house is sinking. Ah, the Italians."

Noam grunted.

"I mean, I was here when they brought you on," I said as we got in my new Alpha. "I remember the protests and the threats. They were just angry. I mean, it's just a game for chrissakes. But death threats? I don't get that. I get protests at Casteldebole. Understandable considering he sold Diamanti guaranteeing our relegation. It's just nuts."

"You know they'll turn on you during your first losing streak, don't you?" he asked.

It was my turn to grunt.

"I'll burn that bridge when I get to it," I said after I flung the Alpha around a corner.

"I'm not familiar with that phrase," he said. "Burn a bridge you haven't crossed?"

"I'm trying to be funny," I replied. "It's a misrepresentation of the concept of burning a bridge after you cross it so that there is no retreat. Yet, it's kind of true with this club. We do sometimes burn bridges we haven't crossed yet because as an organization we behave really stupidly."

"I know that Guaraldi and Savoia and their faction are not pleased that I'm manager," I said. "But they were pressured because the faction that is sick of the old faction's mismanagement want someone young with new ideas. They also want Guaraldi out and the Americans, or I should say our Canadian and American friends to take over. I'm actually shocked there hasn't been any movement on that front. I thought Joey Saputo and Joe Tacopinto were close to actually making a move. We'll see I guess."

We drove in silence for the rest of the way back to Casteldelbole.

Serie B: Vicenza v. Bologna

View attachment 318155I've given my team talk. I don't remember what I've said. We're walking down the tunnel and out onto the pitch. My players haven't responded well to my talk. I wish I could remember what I'd said so I could not say it again.

We start poorly. They score first but we respond within minutes. Just before halftime they score again.

I yell at my players during halftime. It doesn't help. They go out and concede four more.

The Vicenza and Bologna supporters all start chanting "You don't know what you're doing!" Wait. What? They're chanting it in English.

I'm standing at the sideline, I've been waving to get my players attention but they won't listen. I go to shove my hands into my pockets.

It's at this point I realize I'm in front of 15,000 people without any pants.

Fkn A. Another nightmare. I wake up in a pool of sweat.

Fkn nightmares.

Sunday, 12 October 2014 12:30ish

I was working with my defenders on some tactics pertaining to defending the lead in the second half when I sensed a lull in a drill that Attacking Coach Simone Tiribocchi was leading. I glanced over. Gianni Nanni was sprinting over to a huddle of players. Knowing when someone has just gotten hurt is sort of a sixth sense for managers. Born out of paranoia, of course. Whenever there's an unexplained lull, I always look over. This time, I knew something wasn't right.

I kept glancing over as Tiribocchi got the drill back running again. I saw Nanni leading Michele Pazienza toward the dressing room. Paz wasn't limping but he was walking slow. I caught Paz putting a hand to his right hamstring on several occasions during the slow, long walk.

He may be suspended for the upcoming match, but I was going to need him. Five minutes later I got a text from Nanni.

Paz just strained hamstring. Out maybe 3 weeks.

****!

Serie B: Vicenza v. Bologna

View attachment 317937Monday, 13 October 2014

This was a big match for us. Third (us) versus fourth (them) in the league. And it's on national television. The Biancorossi have made Stadio Romeo Menti a fortress this season and they were drawing pretty well. It's not that far from Bologna, 160km or so, which meant that Ultras bought out our allotted tickets and would be in fine voice.

I'm without Gyorgy Garics, Marios Oikonomous, Pazienza and Diego Perez but also backup keeper Samuel Atrous and backup fullback/defensive mid Yalany Baio. So Luca Ceccarelli gets a start at right back and Matuzalem starts in the midfield. I'm not sure the aging Matuzalem can last longer than 60 minutes. His strength, quickness and speed have deteriorated since July when we first measured him. My only cover in the middle is Marti Riverola.

"I know what kind of game we can play," I say to begin my pre-match team talk. "Dominate possession, get the opponent chasing their tails and exploit their weaknesses. So relax, play our game and the result will come."

In the 2nd minute, Federico Barba cleared a corner with a tremendously high clearance. I watched as the ball started to come down out of the drizzle and crossed the half line. It skipped rather than bounced off the slippery grass and Daniele Cacia was onto it in a flash and running with it toward the right corner flag. He'd occasionally look up to see what kind of progress Gennaro Troianiello was making up the left. Daniele beat his defender and drilled a ball to the back post. Troi met it solidly enough but his volley hit the Vicenza keeper squarely in the chest. So did his second try.

The Biancorossi dealt with our corner and took the ball down into our end and scored. The defending was just atrocious. Right winger Ignacio Lores crossed into the middle. Dominico Maietta cleared it but not far enough. Davide Di Gennaro headed it back into the box to Daniele Martinetti. The problem was everyone relaxed when Maietta headed clear so Martinetti was unmarked and had time to line up his volley. Surprise! The unmarked forward did his job and smashed the volley past your keeper.

1-0

We couldn't get our act together after the goal and kept fouling Vicenza players providing Di Gennaro with three glorious free kick opportunities from 20 to 25 meters. Thankfully, he missed all three.

In the 19th minute, we finally got the ball into their half. Vicenza prompted cleared it. Left back Archimede Morleo won the header and Franco Zuculini passed it up to Federico Casarini. Casa spun and starting dribbling goalward from about 35 meters out. Troi made a run inwards from the left and Casa slid a pass up to him. Troi one-timed a pass into the path of Cacia who blasted straight at the keeper. For the third time today, we hit the keeper squarely in the chest. Thankfully, not only did the ball bounce back to Daniele, the keeper fell over.

1-1

Daniele side-footed the ball into the open net.

Now it was our turn to dominate. Matthias Lepiller and Cacia both shot high when provided gilt-edged chances.

In the 38th minute, the Biancorossi finally brought the ball up and out of their end to relieve the pressure we'd been putting them under. I was immediately worried. They weren't on the fast break, but our marking was pathetic. Everyone was just back-pedaling. Their right winger Lores was wide open and had plenty of time to select a pass. He chose a ball to the top of the box for Martinetti. Also wide open was left winger Antonino Ragusa. Ceccarelli, my right back who was supposed to be marking Ragusa, had dropped inside and back to play auxiliary keeper for any shots coming from the left flank.

This was simply ridiculous. I knew at this point they would score. Not only was Ceccarelli playing Ragusa onside, he utterly forgotten about him in his excitement to become the auxiliary keeper. What made me cover my face with my palm was when Ceccarelli run upfield with his arm raised like he was trying to play the offside trap.

2-1

Thankfully, we answered nearly immediately. We brought the ball into the Biancorossi end and kept it there. In the 44th minute. Matuzalem was looking for options about 30 meters out. He had none so he played a ball into the corner for Ceccarelli to run onto. I figured Ceccarelli would whip in a cross in an attempt to redeem himself, but instead he passed it inside to a wide open Lepiller.

Now Matthias was wide open, but had a impossible angle about 10 meters from goal. So he chipped the ball to the back post. Troi simply wanted it more than the three nearby defenders and evened the score with a nicely taken volley. I say nicely taken as the right fullback was trying his best to pull him to the ground.

2-2

"MORLEO! DOM! MORLEO! DOM!" I yelled as the players were jogging back for the restart. Maietta and Morleo jogged over into hearing range. "Hold this lead for the love of God! Hold this lead for the next two or three minutes."

The two started giving instructions and pointing like I'd expect my Captain and defensive leader to do. Sadly, it came for naught as Vicenza marched straight down into our end. We got lucky as Martinetti shot inches wide with seconds left in first half extra time.

"Should I let them have it?" I asked my Assistant. "Or try build them up?"

"Uh, build them up, boss," Graziano replied. "Have a look at Stefano. He'll do all the shouting that's needed by the time we're back into the room."

Defensive Coach Romanin was gesturing wildly to Ceccarelli, Barbo and Morleo as the four walked toward the tunnel.

Romanin's message got through and the guys did far better defensively in the second half. Yes, Vicenza pressured us, but they couldn't break us. At the hour mark I replaced Mazuzalem with Riverola.

In the 70th, Riverola got himself free and Casarini fed him a pass. Yet another gilt-edged chance. The reason that Riverola was a back-up was because of what happened next: He filled his pants. He blazed high and wide from 15 meters. Sigh.

In the 73rd, I nearly filled my pants. Lores whipped a back post special in and Ceccarelli had momentarily turned off and was ball-watching. Ragusa was all alone at the back post. Thankfully, he headed high from 5 meters.

View attachment 317936Extremely, extremely lucky.

In the 82nd, we finally created the chance we'd been waiting for. Zuke fed Casa who fed Troi who slipped the ball between the center backs. Cacia was running the channel between them and had the keeper at his mercy.

2-3

He made no mistake and rushed the Rossoblu supporters who were caged in behind the goal to celebrate.

And we held the lead rather nicely. Vicenza rarely saw the ball and when they got it we pressured them high up the field causing them to panic and turn it over. Not even a second yellow for Zuke in the 90th minute got us flustered.

All my work on tactics during the week paid off for once (please note the sarcasm).

This moved us up into first place! While only temporary, I'll take it. We're not playing great, but we're undefeated. Guaraldi isn't going to try any power play when I'm winning.

Life is good. My new Alpha roars and purrs just like it's supposed to.

View attachment 317935

View attachment 317934

Last edited:
Tuesday, 14 October 2014 10:30am

"We're kind of out of options," I said as everyone was sitting down for our staff meeting. "We're down to two teenagers for the defensive midfield role. Who would have thought that the three players who can play the position would all be out at once. So who will it be? Uros Radakovic or Yalany Baio?"

"Yalany is quicker and stronger," said fitness coach Pietro La Porta. "Uros is taller and more imposing but his bones are without any meat."

"Yalany is probably a bit better defensively, but I've been primarily working with him as a fullback not as a midfielder," Defense Coach Stefano Romanin added.

"Uros is a better passer though I think Yalany reads the game better," Simone Tiribocchi said.

"I'd say start Uros with Yalany on the bench," Graziano added. "I think Uros's size matters.

"I'm with you on this one, Graziano," I said. "I think Uros is ready to slot in. Alright, Gianni, tell me some good news about our ever-increasing injury list?"

"If you mean by updates you mean who will be available next Saturday, I have no good news," Physio Nanni said. "Oiks will be out for a while still. Paz will be ready in two weeks. Perez might be ready, but you may not want to play him as he likely won't have trained much at all. Sorry, boss."

View attachment 317562Wednesday, 15 October 2014 after 2pm

I got a text from Mathias Abero. He wanted to talk. I can tell you now what that conversation will be about. You probably don't recognize his name unless you've been paying EXTREMELY close attention. He didn't show anything during the preseason and has only made the bench a couple of times. He's a left-sided utility player who hasn't shown that he's useful either as a fullback or a left winger.

I texted back to meet me in my office. He walked in soon after I arrived.

"Have a seat, Mathias, what's up?" I asked.

He sat down on a couch then got up and shut the door before sitting down again. There was a moment of silence.

"I want to talk about my future," he said in . I nodded. "You're not playing me and I think you should give me a chance. I think I could contribute."

"I realize that you're in a tough spot," I replied. "My Captain is the left back. He rarely gets hurt and is automatic. Then you have Gennaro Troianiello. He's in the form of his life. Why would I risk points playing you?"

"I think I can make a difference and I'm not even getting a chance," he said.

"The best I can offer you here is to improve your work effort in training so you're ready if Gennaro gets hurt or loses his form," I said. "That's all I can offer."

"My career is stagnating," he said. "I deserve to be playing."

"All I can offer you is to sell you in January," I said. "Are you okay with that?"

"I am, I need to play regularly," he said.

"Alright. I'll see what I can do in January."

"Thanks," he said and left my office.

This is gold. I'd love to do one of these but I dont have the patience to upload all the pictures and stuff.

Forget the pictures!!!

The ability to keep a consistent & engaging narrative going in this "fantasy world" (for such a length of time) is the real achievement here. This is essentially an FM novel. To call it a "story" is almost an insult. The Alpha Romeo Metaphor(s) are a work of art.

Have said it before & will say it again, this is truly amazing Enrico! Would never even attempt to recreate something like this.

OMG I'm an Alpha Groupie!!! :S Lol

Serie B: Bologna v. Avellino

View attachment 317359Saturday, 18 October 2014

Our second straight week of a top-of-the-table clash. Surprisingly, I'm not nervous. I think I have Avellino figured out. Here's my tactics:
  • Wingers mark their fullbacks
  • Man-for-man marking in midfield, with my DM marking their AMC
  • midfielders to pass it short
It worked against Vicenza who I think are tougher foes.

I told the players to relax and play their game and that, if they did, we'd win. I'm not really one for the big speeches. I prefer to be over-prepared.

In the 6th minute, Uros Radakovic intercepted a pass and quickly played a ball up to Matthias Lepiller. Matthias quickly got the ball forward to Daniele Cacia and took of running upfield. Matthias is not particularly fast but their left back got caught ball-watching. Cacia returned the pass with a ball into space for Matthias to run onto.

As Matthias aimed his shot, central defender Rodrigo Ely (a player I am scouting for next season in Serie A) managed to get back and blocked the shot. All credit to Ely for not giving up. The ball rebounded off another defender and fell to Matthias' feet.

SHAZAM!

1-0

Lepiller slammed home the opener.

They equalized ten minutes later. Federico Barba wasn't tight on attacking midfielder Arnor Angeli so he had time to turn inside the box when he received a pass. And Dominico Maietta wasn't tight to their striker Luigi Castaldo when he received a pass from Angeli. When you give a striker time to turn inside 15 meters, he's going to score.

1-1

I just stood there grinding my teeth. Stefano Romanin was up off the bench screaming at his defenders.

We immediately replied. Lepiller didn't make very good contact with a back post special from Archimede Morleo and with the net gaping, headed right at their keeper.

It was a midfield stalemate until the 36th when we sprung another fast break. Lepiller played a pass up to Cacia who raced with the ball to the top of the box. He saw the open man, the late arriving Federico Casarini and rolled the ball into his path. Casa was about to shoot when he had his planting foot swept out from under him with a striker's tackle from Castaldo.

I looked at the ref. He signaled play on because the ball was rolling into the path of Gennaro Troianiello. TROI SMASH BALL!

2-1

I was carefully watching Lepiller towards the end of the half. I knew I didn't want him on for the full 90, but I needed him for as much as he could give. By halftime it was clear he was spent. I had Sergio warm up and pulled the switcharoo.

Avellino were having trouble containing us so I carefully watched how they lined up and within seconds I was rejiggering my marking. They'd switched to a 352. The wingers would now mark their outside mids and the central mids would man mark their central mids.

It was all going great until we were undone by our free kick defending in the 52nd minute. Marco Davide Faraoni met Angeli's free kick and headed in. It was made easier because he was unmarked.

2-2

But we struck back nearly immediately. Uros intercepted a pass yet again and fed Matuzalem. Matz fed Casa and Casa fed Troi.

View attachment 317358TROI SMASH BALL!

3-2

From the same spot, same left foot, same spot high up in the side netting.

Our defending was alright but we rode our luck. Substitute striker Gianmario Comi headed high from 7 meters (of course, he was unmarked) and Faraoni had two more great chances. Apparently, the Gods of Calcio were on our side and we were supposed to win.

We were in first, we'd vanquished our nearest competitor. I checked my mobile for other scores. The table was starting to look more realistic. Brescia were second. Livorno weren't too far off the pace and Catania was climbing the table. Poor, hapless Bari were even out of the relegation zone with their Friday night win. President Guaraldi and his minion Director of Football hadn't even tried to **** with me, yet. There wasn't even any further talk or rumors of an imminent take-over by Saputo and Tacopinto.

Despite this, I had this nagging fear like an itch under your collar that you can't scratch just right.

View attachment 317357

View attachment 317356

View attachment 317355

View attachment 317354

View attachment 317353

Last edited:
"You've barely eaten," Gwen said. "What's the matter?"

"Ummm ..." I said as I played with my pasta. "Well ... okay, it's like this. Because I've got the team winning, the bull**** I expected to get from Guaraldi et al is put at bay. Then there's the potential take-over that hasn't occurred, yet. Often the new owners sack the managers but that's usually when the team isn't winning. Plus, I've spoken to the potential owners briefly and the people associated with the club who want Guaraldi gone seem to think Joey Saputo, he'll be the new owner, and Joe Tacopinto, he'll be the new President, like me..."

"So far, I can't see why you're worried."

"Yeah, I know, " I replied. "I have two worries. First, we're conceding too many goals. We're scoring a ton against inferior defenses. And when I mean inferior, I mean these guys would get spanked silly by most Serie A sides. That's why so many of them are yo-yo clubs. Our current defense can't survive next season if we get promoted from what they're showing against our current opponents."

"Secondly," I continued. "Guaraldi will wait until next season when the club is struggling to pull his power moves. We're going to struggle next year, I can guarantee that. If I have a supportive President and I can bring in some new blood, we just might survive. Just."

Oh, yeah," I concluded. "If the scoring dries up, the power plays might start sooner. Guaraldi might start seeing reasons why I'm the wrong man for the job."

"My dear sweet worry wort of an Italian-American sausage," Gwen said. "None of any of this has occurred, yet. It's one thing to plan ahead for eventualities, but it's another to make yourself mad over possibilities that may or may not occur."

View attachment 317132Sunday, 19 October 2014 3pmish

My phone jangled in my pocket. I saw it was Savoia. Oh ****, what was it now?

"Ciao, Enrico."

"Good afternoon, Enrico, is this a good time," the Bologna Director of Football said.

"Yes."

"Okay, well, I've just spoken to Filippo Lombardi. He's unhappy that he's so far down the list of keepers and after talking to him for a while, he indicated he'd be willing to mutually terminate his contract."

"Okay."

View attachment 317131"So you have no problems letting him go?" he asked.

"I don't," I replied. "It sounds to me that this would be best for both parties."

"Alright, I'll file the paperwork, there's nothing you need to do in regards to this."

"Okay. Thanks for calling, have a great evening."