Serie B: Ternana v. Bologna

View attachment 322493Graziano Vinti and Mario Paradisi worked hard with Ferdinando Coppola during the week. Personally, I'm not feeling good about this. I put on a brave face and got on with it.

We started well. We kept the ball, moved it around nicely until the 8th minute when Ternana left back Alessandro Bastrini whipped in a left wing cross. Striker Abou Diop was unmarked at the near post. Thankfully, his header went just wide of the near post.

In the 9th minute, they had a throw out on the left. They worked the ball across the top of the box then played a pass into the box. Midfielder Mirko Eramo was wide open about 15 meters out. I cringed. Eramo had time to control the pass and then he blasted the ball past Coppola.

0-1

Okay, fine. Maybe Dejan might have gotten a finger to it, but it might still have gone in. Can't blame Coppola for this one.

In the 13th minute, Federico Casarini passed it up to Daniele Cacia. Daniele held the ball up and waited until he could spring Matthias Lepiller. Lepiller had the entire net to shoot at. Instead of burying it, he first-timed a shot that would have gone into the left side netting. This is where the keeper was diving. Matthias hit it to the only spot the keeper could have saved.

My face met my palm.

We tried again. This time Cacia played a rather poorly aimed pass toward the right sideline. It was halfway between Lepiller who'd pulled inside and Gyorgy Garics, my right back. Matthias spun and ran over calling off Garics. Matthias spun and lasered in a near post cross. Daniele flicked it in.

1-1

We continued to dominate possession. We created several decent chances. Rather than feeling more comfortable and/or confident, I became more and more nervous. I just wasn't confident that Coppola could stop anything.

In the 30th minute, Ternana's next venture upfield, my nightmare became reality.

Dominico Maietta cleared a cross from Bastrini. It fell right to a Ternana player who lobbed it in to Cesar Falletti who was standing about 25-30 meters out. Falletti volleyed it goalward. I cringed. It was right at Coppola. It was as if Coppola was screened. I'm pretty sure he wasn't. He put his hands up and waved at the ball as it went right over his head. If he'd have jumped, he'd have headed it.

2-1

"**** me," I muttered under my breathe.

We continued dominating possession. If they can't shoot, they can't score because if they do shoot at Coppola, they're probably going to score.

Just before halftime, Matthias pulled up limping and then after a moment just sat down and signaled that his day was done. I put Sergio on for the remaining minute left in first half extra time.

"**** me," I muttered as I stomped off to the dressing room.

I told my midfield trio of Pazienza, Zuculini and Casarini to mark their central midfielders tighter. I gave my players the old show me something different speech. Hopefully, we get lucky.

In the 52nd minute, we do. Ternana's Andrea Bovo hit a grassburner shot right at Coppola. Somehow, he managed to not get out of the way. It bounced off one of his hands and Federico Barba cleared it.

Phewh.

Pazienza and Casarini were both having great games, but Zuculini wasn't. So in the 65th minute, I replaced Zuculini with Metuzalem.

We continued to press, but just couldn't find our breaththrough. You know how this goes. That final pass was just hit a tinge too strongly and rolls out for a goal kick. Or the player wasted a chance by filling his pants instead of controlling the ball correctly.

Gennaro Troianiello hadn't contributed much, so I sent on teenager Antonio Calabrese as his replacement in the 83rd minute.

In the 85th minute, Matuzalem whipped in a cross that was cleared right back toward him. He drilled in a two hop pass to Pazienza who smashed a volley goalwards on the short hop.

2-2

It went in! Didn't touch anyone. It's a fkn miracle!

"I have a bad feeling," Graziani said to me. I sighed and nodded my head in agreement.

In the 90th minute, Eramo got free on a corner and smashed a volley past Coppola.

3-2

The marking at the near post was shambolic. Nobody had taken responsibility to mark Eramo and Casarini who was supposed to be guarding the six yard box, in other words the guy to intercept any low, near post corners, hadn't done his job.

Like the rest of the game, we kept possession after the restart and decamped in the Ternana half yet again.

45 seconds into extra time, Captain Archimede Morleo passes inside to Matuzalem. Matuzalem spins and dishes to Pazienza who one-touches the ball to Casarini. Casarini spins and redeems himself by thundering a shot into the upper left corner.

3-3

The one thousand away supporters behind the goal all scream their joy in unison. Two games, two wonderous and thunderous goals from Casarini. I'm swept up in a huge hug-off on the sidelines.

I feel like I've aged 10 years. I could do with a little less drama, please?

View attachment 322492

View attachment 322491

View attachment 322489

Last edited:
Just read all 11 pages - simply amazing.

I remember reading some of this story last year but i didn't follow it but i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything as the blanks are filled in fairly well at the start.

Keep up the good work mate.

Just read all 11 pages - simply amazing.

I remember reading some of this story last year but i didn't follow it but i don't feel like i'm missing out on anything as the blanks are filled in fairly well at the start.

Keep up the good work mate.

Thank you very much.

Sunday, 7 September 2014 11AM

"Seriously, I can't take it," I said as everyone sat down. "I can't take it. I can't have a keeper that makes me pull my hair out."

"Um, boss?" Graziano Vinti said pointing at my head. Everyone chuckled.

"So that I don't lose any more," I continued glancing upwards. "I've instructed our scouts to get me a list of loan or free signing goalkeeper candidates. I can't have a back-up I can't trust."

Everyone nodded.

"I really like the trio of Casarini, Pazienza and Zuculini in the middle," Offense Coach Simone Tiribocchi said. "I thought they really controlled the game."

"And I hate to say this," added Defense Coach Stefano Romanin. "But we didn't miss Perez all that much. I was surprised."

"We're going to work on our marking this week," Alessio Frati stated. "I think everyone will be motivated to do better next Saturday."

Everyone nodded.

"Alrighty," I said. "Anyone else have anything to say? No? Okay. Let's move on to Pro Vercelli, our next opponent."

"This might be exactly what the doctor ordered for our confidence in front of goal," I continued. "Their defense is pretty suspect. Not particularly fast, not particularly good at marking and they got spanked by Varese yesterday. Their offense isn't all that dangerous according to this report. They haven't gelled yet and they don't have the pace or quality to trouble us. They play a Barca-style 451 which will play right into our 4231. Our midfield trio can mark theirs and totally shut them down."

"Any questions? Comments?" I concluded. "Well ... that was easy. Let's go and get everything ready."

Last edited:
Thursday, 11 September 2014 8:30ish in the AM

My phone jangled. It was a local number, but I didn't recognize it.

"Good morning, Enrico," I answered.

"Enrico?" a woman's voice said.

"Yes?"

"This is Veronica Maietta, Dominico's husband."

He's my key central defender. This probably was a sick call.

"Oh, hi. What's up?"

"I'm calling about Dom, he's got a high fever," she said. "I've put him to bed. It's some kind of virus. I think you probably don't want him around."

"Oh, yes. We definitely don't want him infecting the squad. Thank you for putting him to bed. I'll have the physios call you, I'm sure they'll have some suggestions. Call this number?"

"Yes."

"Good luck keeping him from getting grumpy, I always would get grumpy when I was out hurt or sick."

"Oh, hah," she replied. "Yes, Dom does get that way. Thanks. Ciao."

"Ciao."

**** and ****.

This manager story has inspired me to play countless hours on FM roleplaying out my various coaches. Because of the 1st version of the story I learnt about AFC Wimbledon and couldn't help but like the club!

I haven't managed to get FM15 yet, mainly to save my exam hopes, but as soon i do it i feel like doing something liek this if i get the time :)

This manager story has inspired me to play countless hours on FM roleplaying out my various coaches. Because of the 1st version of the story I learnt about AFC Wimbledon and couldn't help but like the club!
AFC Wimbledon are an awesome club. I even got myself the jersey.

I haven't managed to get FM15 yet, mainly to save my exam hopes, but as soon i do it i feel like doing something liek this if i get the time :)
Yeah, I could see FM interfering with schoolwork. I'm so glad those days are long gone.

Serie B: Bologna v. Pro Vercelli

View attachment 321221My pre-game speech to the effect of go out there and give these fans a win didn't get us flying out of the blocks. The first three chances in the first 20 minutes fell to Massimo Bonnanni. In the 1st minute, Ripa carded Captain Archimede Morleo for tripping Bonnanni. All of Bonnanni's free kicks were in the middle of the park in the vicinity of 25 meters out. All his shots weren't near the target.

Our first chance came off a corner in the 20th minute. Matthias Lepiller curled the corner into the mixer. There was a scramble of flailing legs and arms until the ball popped out to Michele Pazienza. He walloped a shot right at their keeper.

Ripa carded my other fullback, Gyorgy Garics, in the 30th minute. Ruh Roh. Was today going to be a cardfest?

In the 23rd minute, Bonnanni smacked the ball into the wall from his fourth free kick. We broke up the left and eventually Daniele Cacia had the ball at his feet and dribbled into the box. At that moment, Pro Vercelli central defender Mohamed Coly flew in with a tackle that upended Daniele and sent the ball over the sidelines. Curva Sud at the opposite end of Stadio Dell'Arra screamed in unison for a penalty.

Ripa emphatically pointed at the ball as it rebounded of the advertisements.

We'd finally woken up and began dominating. Gennaro Troianiello goalbound shot hit Federico Casarini in the **** in the 38th minute. At 44:00, Marios Oikonomou thundered a free header that Pro Vercelli's defensive midfielder Ronaldo cleared off the line. I figured we weren't going to have the luck and would head into halftime scoreless.

But as Pro Vercelli brought the ball upfield, the midfield trio with help from Troianiello won the ball back. Casarini floated a delicate chip toward the right corner flag. It went over the left back's head. Lepiller had anticipated where it would come down and controlled it perfectly with his first touch. With his second touch his smashed it into the path of Cacia.

Daniele smote the volley past the frozen keeper.

1-0

As the fans were still cheering. As Curva Sud just finished a song about Cacia and were starting a song about Lepiller we won the ball back and moved it forward. We moved the ball around for a moment then with about the 20th pass, Casarini zipped a pass up to Troianiello who'd drifted inside. Troi's first touch got him past the fullback. He glanced up and saw the keeper out a bit to cut down the angle.

He floated a chip goalwards. It wasn't aimed the best. The keeper should have gotten it. Maybe I should say that Dejan Stojanovic would've gotten to it. But Pro Vercelli's Danilo Russo got his footwork all wrong and flailed at the ball as it dropped under the bar.

2-0

"I guess that'll change your halftime talk, no?" Graziano said as we strolled through the sunshine toward the dressing room.

Yes, indeed.

On the way out for the second half, I was walking next to Casarini.

"Well, I guess we won't need your last minute hero show today," I joked. Casarini smiled.

Pro Vercelli were completely deflated. We spent the second half knocking the ball around. It truly was a walk in the park.

I replaced Pazienza with Perez in the 60th minute. In the 66th, Morleo took a knock. Gianni Nanni, my head physio, signaled that it was nothing, but I decided to send on Luca Ceccarelli to get him some minutes. In the 72nd minute, Troi got chopped down and Nanni signaled for a switch. So Sergio was my last sub.

View attachment 321216In the 80th, Casarini volleyed in his third goal in as many games from a Ceccarelli cross!

In the 84th, Garics won the ball back in our half. He passed it inside to Oikonomou. Oiks looked up and made eye contact with Cacia who was standing in the center circle in their half. If you've played the game, you know that when your striker gives you that look, you know what you're supposed to do. Nearly everyone in the stadium except the four Pro Vercelli defenders knew what was coming next. It's telepathic football at it's best. I watched Oiks put his head down to play a pass up the right inside channel as Daniele took off running. Oiks hit it hard and low and perfectly into Daniele's path. The Pro Vercelli defenders didn't react until it was far too late. Daniele touched it once as he crossed over the penalty box line then caressed a pass into the upper right corner of the net.

4-0

What a flaboyant mauling!

"Save a little magic for when we need it, eh?" I said to Casarini after I tracked him down on the pitch after the final whistle.

View attachment 321215

View attachment 321214

Last edited:
Sunday, 14 September 2014 10AM

"I've pulled you out of training today because I have decided to release you three," I said to Nicolo Scalini, Adam Masina and Mikhail Radchenko. "There are three specific reasons and I want to be clear that you understand them. First, your work ethic is not acceptable. I made it clear and my coaches made it clear we expect you to work hard. Yet, instead you complained and displayed a poor attitude."

"Secondly," I continued. "When I talked with you after you made it clear, after you complained, you did not want to work as hard as I expect, I made it clear that you needed to work harder. I told you I expected you to work harder and that I'd be watching and my coaches would be watching. All three of you know that we've released other boys who did not work hard enough, yet you didn't step up your work ethic. We are still unsatisfied."

"Third," I said. "We have other players who have similar talent and potential who are willing to push themselves harder. I don't want you taking playing time away from boys who want to learn and work hard."

"Here are your checks to buy out the remainders of your youth contracts, is there anything you'd like to say?"

The three boys were looking at their feet. I walked out of the room and Enzo walked in to walk the boys out.

View attachment 321202

Last edited:
Yes! This is brilliant. I genuinely think you should turn this into book.

Started reading this earlier while being bored at work, I've read the full thing. All 12 pages. Gutted im having to wait for the next installment. Great work!

Yes! This is brilliant. I genuinely think you should turn this into book.

Started reading this earlier while being bored at work, I've read the full thing. All 12 pages. Gutted im having to wait for the next installment. Great work!

Thanks!
You could go back into the FM14 manager stories and read the first installment in the meantime.

View attachment 320958Wednesday, 17 September 2014 3:14pm

"Enrico, may I have a minute?" Diego Perez says after he knocks on my open door. I was reviewing scouting reports after the afternoon training session.

"Of course," I say. "Please have a seat."

"I've been thinking," he begins then looks at his hands. He's still standing. I know where this conversation is going. He's lucky. He gets to decide. I didn't. My knees decided for me. "Thinking about my future. My kids love it here, but my wife has hinted she'd like to move back to South America."

"And I'm not so sure I'll be valuable once you get us back into Serie A," he added. "I just don't ... I'm just not as quick as I used to be."

"While you may not be playing every match anymore, I disagree," I said. "I still think you're valuable. You're a great presence in the dressing room and you read the game really well. You more than make up for being 34 with your anticipation."

"You're too kind," he replied. "The kids that most sides have in their midfield would just blow past me."

He paused.

"I have come to understand that Santos want me," he said. "I'd be closer to Uruguay. The Brazilian leagues aren't nearly as fast and I could play a few extra seasons. Well, maybe. If I hold together."

"You've been a great servant to the club, I wouldn't stand in your way," I said. After how Pazienza, Zuculini and Casarini are playing together, he's going to have a harder time making it into the midfield. Maybe he's recognized this.

"Of course, providing Santos come through with an offer," I continued. "Then let's talk. It's all just hypothetical right now."

"True," he agreed. "Thank you for being sympathetic."

We shook hands and I followed him out the door. I wanted to be present for the signing of my new back-up keeper that Savioa was going to sign.

View attachment 320957

Great story mate love the detail wish more stories on here were like yours!!