Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League

Amazing achievements! What's the legend list looking like now?

What an incredible story so far! I had to make an account just to respond and say I can't wait for next season. Thanks for allowing me to get my FM fix at work these last few weeks!

Ps. Currently taking Wimbledon FC to the prem. Wages are killing me but we will stay up and release some guys not living up to their pay.

Amazing achievements! What's the legend list looking like now?

I don't really pay that much attention to the legends screen so this was the first time I'd looked at it in a few seasons. I'm now a club legend yet only one player involved in the save is an icon and that's Felix Baker who has captained us to the Premier League title after being at the club for 7 years!

Screenshot 2020-08-10 at 23.58.06.png

What an incredible story so far! I had to make an account just to respond and say I can't wait for next season. Thanks for allowing me to get my FM fix at work these last few weeks!

Ps. Currently taking Wimbledon FC to the prem. Wages are killing me but we will stay up and release some guys not living up to their pay.

Thanks I'm glad it's kept you entertained at work! My main advice for your Wimbledon save would be to try and get loan players from the big Premier League clubs. If I had not done that I'd still be in League One at this point!

It’s been another crazy season but we have finally won the Premier League!

Screenshot 2020-08-11 at 00.11.24.png

Remarkably, we did it after being predicted to finish 7th and with the 12th highest wage budget in the division.

wage budgets 2033.png

It was mainly because of our attacking prowess, with us scoring 83 goals in the season whereas the next best scored 60.

goals scored 33.png

Thiago Ryan finished top scorer with 22 goals which is impressive, but he scored 15 in his first 9 so should’ve got more.

tr top scorer.png

TR jun33.png

Our captain Felix Baker won footballer of the year, after averaging 7.42 in the season.

baker poty.png

baker jun33.png

He has been at Altrincham for 9 years, captained us to the Premier League and scored for England in the Euro 32 final. All that and he cost £50,000!

baker career jun33.png

JJ Vazquez won young player of the year and is arguably better than Baker. The 21-year-old Mexican is turning into some player and is wanted by the best clubs in Europe.

vazquez ypoty.png

vazquez may33.png

His 10 assists was the second-most in the league, with Michael Adjetey also picking up 9 assists along with his 15 league goals.

assists 33.png

adj jun33.png

8 Altrincham players were named in the Premier League Team of the Year and I won manager of the year for the first time!

toty 33.png

manager of year.png

Despite finishing 4th in the Premier League, Man United beat Roma in the Champions League final which makes losing to them in the quarterfinal even worse.

cl final 33.png

Roma have won Serie A in the last two seasons and their good form in Europe prompted me to look closer at their squad. We might have poached 2 of their best players for next season…

That is despite already having a very strong squad who have just eased to the Premier League title. It’s easy to forget just how young the squad is, with 15 players under the age of 23.

squad view 33.png

As well as that, our under 23s won their league meaning that they are promoted to the top tier of under 23 football next season.

u23s.png

Altrincham under 18s also won the league, so we have the strongest under 18 side in England as well!

u18s.png

Next season we have one aim. To win the Champions League.

Fantastic achievement well done. Looking forward to next season now and another crack at CL!

As we enter the pre-season of 2033, I thought it’d be good to look closer at some of the players that have gone under the radar in the last few years.

But firstly, we have 2 very sad departures to announce. Club legends Connor Stanley and Zac Fryatt will be departing in the summer when their contracts expire.

stanley jun33.png

fryatt jun33.png

Both were on loan at other clubs last season. I kept Stanley around mainly out of sentiment but he has been a true legend of the save, appearing for Altrincham in every division from the National League North to the Premier League.

stanley career jun33.png

Fryatt joined on a free in League One. He went onto appear for us in the Premier League and Champions League and played an important role when we won the FA Cup a few seasons ago.

fryatt career jun33.png

Another club legend is Adie Higginson, who we may sell in the summer if a good bid comes in.

higginson jun33.png

He was a mainstay in the team for a number of years with over 200 league appearances for us but has fallen down the pecking order at Altrincham, especially in the last 18 months.

higginson career jun33.png

Another player that will fall down the pecking order is goalkeeper Federico Panariello.

panariello jun33.png

He’s a solid Premier League goalkeeper, but can’t even make it into the England squad and we may or may not have signed a world-class keeper to replace him.

panariello career 33.png

An Altrincham player that is in the England squad is Kimborough Bennett, who had a brilliant season scoring 14 goals and getting 7 assists in all competitions.

bennett jun33.png

bennett career jun33.png

Eder Claveria has developed into a world-class player whilst at the club. He was initially signed as a centre back but now plays in the holding midfield role for us.

claveria jun33.png

He’s also one of our longest-serving players after joining us when we were in the Championship.

claveria career33.png

Another world-class player is Hector Pozos. There’s a reason he’s described as an elite centre back despite being just 21.

pozos jul33.png

Ukrainian Oleg Bondarenko has also developed into a world-class right back. He’s been with us for 3 seasons and was £35m well spent.

bondarenko jun33.png

Finally, we seem to have a real gem on our hands in Matthew McKenna. He came through our youth intake last season and I’ll look to give him first-team opportunities next season.

mckenna jul33.png

Right then, let’s defend our Premier League title and maybe challenge for the Champions League.

The summer transfer window is over and we are ready to go into the 2033/34 season.

To say we’ve been busy would be an understatement. Be prepared for a lot of screenshots.

Transfers Out

transfers out 33.png

Firstly, we’ve made £173m in transfer fees and have not sold a single first-choice player.

Our second choice right-back has joined Real Madrid for £46m

ivan rm.png

We made a profit of over £25m on Ivan and the only reason I let him go was that we have an Altrincham produced right back, Julian Cupid, who is good enough to be back up in that position this season.

ivan career.png

Back up centre midfielder Srdjan Radmanovac has joined Roma for £35m. We paid £30m for him so I was happy to get that sum of money for him.

radman roma.png

radman career.png

Borussia Monchengladbach have been busy, picking up Altrincham legend Adie Higginson as well as another backup centre midfielder, Junior Carhaus, for £38m.

carhaus bm.png

carhaus career.png

And finally another great servant to the club, John Slaven, has joined Fernabache for £21m.

slav fernbache.png

slav career.png

Now for the good stuff.

Transfers In

Normally, the first image I’d share would be a list of our transfers in. However, I’ll just show the amount we’ve spent for now.

transfers in fee.png

Last season Roma got to the Champions League final and walked Serie A. So we have signed two of their key players.

roma serie A.png

The first is Matteo Ferrarini for £57m. He’s one of the best keepers in the world and will take us to the next level.

ferrarini jun33.png

Next in from Roma was Alfredo Jose, who I’ve known since his Corinthians days but decided to sign JJ Vazquez at the time instead. It turns out that he’s developed into a special player so I just had to buy him.

jose jun33.png

jose career 33.png

At £93m he was our record signing… for about 10 days.

That is because we have spent £111m on a player!

johnson jul33.png

Ian Johnson joins from Everton for £111,000,000. I did have question marks over the fee but we had the money and I’ve had 13 seasons of being financially prudent. So the cash was splashed.

So here’s a full list of the transfers in. We spent £262m on 3 players!

transfers in 33.png

Johnson celebrated his transfer by getting injured straight away, meaning he’ll miss the first game of the season.

johnson injury.png

But the season started nicely with a win against Man City in the Community Shield, which is the first time we’ve won it.

man city cs.png

Yet they’re predicted to win the Premier League and we’re predicted to finish 5th even though we won it last season!

predicted table 33.png

I can’t wait to see how the new signings fare this season!

Despite the huge sums of money spent in the summer, we still only have the 9th highest spend on wages in the Premier League. Not bad for the reigning champions

wages 33.png

And after winning the Premier League last year, we were 1st seeds for the Champions League Group Stage draw for the very first time.

champions league group 33.png

We have an easy group on paper and it’s nice to face 3 teams who we’ve not played before in Monaco, AEK Athens and Rangers.

We’ve only played 4 games so far, but our start to the season has been okay. We narrowly beat Liverpool and then were awful against Man City, but at least those 2 difficult games are now out of the way.

sched aug33.png

There haven’t been any fireworks from the new signings Alfredo Jose and Ian Johnson, although the latter did score on his England debut.

johnson england.png

Screenshot 2020-08-18 at 00.25.48.png

Instead, our star performer has been JJ Vazquez who has 4 assists in 4 Premier League matches.

vazques aug33.png

The season really kicks into action now, as we begin our quest for Champions League glory with a home match against AEK Athens in September.

After getting to the semi-finals 2 seasons ago and the quarter-finals last season, the Champions League is very much the aim this year.

Our first match against AEK Athens was an incredibly one-sided 2-0 win.

aek 2-0.png

And our second match against Rangers was an incredibly one-sided 1-1 draw.

rangers 1-1.png

A Rangers side who are managed by Gareth Southgate!

southgate rangers.png

We’re getting some weird results this season despite dominating matches. By weird I mean drawing against relegation favourites Bournemouth (who I’ve decided are our bogey team mainly because they beat us 8-1 on aggregate in the Championship playoffs 7 seasons ago)

bournemouth 0-0.png

But at the same time we’re comfortably beating title contenders Spurs.

spurs 5-2.png

West Ham away summed up the weirdness of our results. We were 7-0 up at half time, looking utterly unstoppable yet conceded twice in the second half so I almost felt underwhelmed at the final whistle even though we had scored 7!

west ham 7-2.png

I suppose I shouldn’t really be complaining, especially as we’re top of the Premier League.

table oct33.png

Michael Adjetey is top scorer in the division with 8 in as many games, whereas Vazquez and £111m man Johnson have the most assists.

player stats oct33.png

adj oct33.png

After the October international break, we’ll face Monaco twice in the Champions League who are currently top of the group.

cl group 33 2.png

We should comfortably qualify, but being Premier League champions we should really be striving to finish 1st place in our Champions League group.

great signings - all are excellent but think that keeper Ferrarini will be the best of the bunch - keepers can make a huge difference

Some interesting results as well, to say the least...but on track... fingers crossed

great signings - all are excellent but think that keeper Ferrarini will be the best of the bunch - keepers can make a huge difference

Some interesting results as well, to say the least...but on track... fingers crossed

Yeah I agree, have no idea why he had a £57m release clause but I'm not complaining!

And as for the results we seem to either look like we're going to score 10 or look like we're not going to score at all

Our third Champions League group stage match saw us comfortably beat Monaco away in what was a big game considering we had already dropped points in the group.

monaco 0-2.png

It was a great win, however our league form is incredibly frustrating. We look unstoppable at times, Southampton at home being an example of that where we won 6-0.

soton 6-0.png

Yet in other matches our players just do not turn up, like against Villa when we lost 2-0.

villa 2-0.png

We were also knocked out of the League Cup after the craziest penalty shootout ever against Liverpool in which every single player took a penalty in the shootout.

liverpool carabao pens.png

But other than those 2 losses, our form has been good.

sched octnov33.png

Another win against Monaco in the reverse fixture means that we have qualified for the knockout stages for the third season in a row with 2 group games remaining.

monaco 1-0.png
cl group 4 33.png

And it’s very tight in the Premier League. Liverpool are leading the way with just one more point than us.

table nov33.png

Altrincham players dominate the individual stats, with Thiago Ryan and Michael Adjetey both on 10 Premier League goals already.

player stats nov33.png

And centre back Hector Pozos has the highest average rating in the division. He has 3 goals and 3 assists all of which have been a result of set pieces as nobody can handle him in the air.

pozos nov33.png

Another player bang inform is left back Idlemar.

idlemar nov33.png

He only joined the first-team squad in the summer after we loaned him back to Corinthians but is a beast of a player… and still only 19!

idlemar career 33.png

Finally, another promising full-back this season has been Julian Cupid.

cupid nov33.png

He came through the Altrincham academy and has had to wait for his chance, but was becoming too good to not involve in the first team.

cupid career nov33.png

We have an easy looking fixture list in November so hopefully we can overtake Liverpool and open up a gap at the top of the Premier League.

Those physicals on Pozos are insane! And still only 21?!

Those physicals on Pozos are insane! And still only 21?!

I know, some of his stats are incredible (15 passing and 17 vision for a CB!) and I can't think of a more well-rounded centre back that I've had on any FM. I found a screenshot of him when he first signed and it just goes to show how important 20 determination and a driven personality is. I didn't even realise his vision was at 11 and now is at 17!

Screenshot 2020-08-22 at 12.46.00.png

The inconsistent performances continued in December, with a 6-0 drubbing of Palace followed by an unconvincing win against bottom of the table Birmingham.

palace 6-0.png
blues 2-1.png

However, we’re showing a real champions mentality by winning games that we don’t particularly play well in.

Elsewhere, with first-place already secured, our back up XI recorded an impressive 3-0 win against Rangers in the final group stage game of the Champions League.

rangers 3-0.png

Another clean sheet meant that we conceded just 1 goal during the group stages.

cl fin group 33.png

We will play RB Leipzig in the first knockout round. They’re 4th in the Bundesliga so I expect to progress to the quarter-finals.

rbl cl.png

rbl table.png

With the easy looking games out of the way, we faced Champions League holders Man United at home in the league.

man u 0-0.png

It was once again a match which we dominated but failed to score in. But we made up for that by beating Chelsea at Stamford Bridge a week later.

chelsea 1-2 dec33.png

Our year ended with a comfortable win over Burnley in the FA Cup 3rd Round, meaning we have won 11 of our last 12 in all competitions.

ched dec33.png

Liverpool dropped points in December, so we are 4 points clear at the halfway mark of the season.

table dec33.png

And we officially have the best goalkeeper in the world at Altrincham.

ferrarini toty.png

ferrarini dec33.png

Matteo Ferrarini was also named in the World Team of the Year, with Michael Adjetey among the substitutes.

world toty.png

At £230,000 a week, he is our highest earner by a mile. But it’s now getting to the point where our best players are asking for pay rises and we have no reason to decline other than being disgusted by forking out £250,000 a week to half of the squad…

wages dec33.png

We’re going to be paying ridiculous wages soon, which means our salary will be closer to that of the bigger clubs in the league.

I’m hoping for a quiet January window, but we may sell some fringe players like our long-serving 4th choice centre back Predrag Djuric

djuric valencia.png

Other than that, I don’t expect any major business as we enter the business end of the season.

After saying I did not expect any major transfers... Some major transfers have occurred.

Winger Noah Lowens kicked up a fuss when I refused to double his wages (because he is the only outfield player in the squad with an average rating below 7). So he has joined Arsenal for £62m.

lowens arsenal.png

It seems cut-throat but there was just no way he justified £200,000 a week so I was happy to take a hit on the £66m we paid for him. The only downside is that he has joined Arsenal, so is bound to score against us at some point.

lowens career 34.png

His replacement is another German. 19 year old David Mensah joins from Bayern for £81m as we triggered his release clause.

mensah jan34.png

He’s pacy, can cross, is only 19 and was willing to be a squad player. £81m is a lot but the funds were there after Lowens departed.

mensah career jan34.png

We started off January with a loss to Spurs but since then have been brilliant, winning all our matches in the month.

sched jan34.png

It means that we have pulled away from everyone else and are top of the Premier League by 10 points!

table jan34.png

We also beat Villa in the FA Cup but have Man City away in the 5th round.

man city facup.png

Our win in the competition 3 seasons ago is still our only domestic cup honours, to go alongside our Premier League title last season.

Thiago Ryan went 5 games without a goal in December, but has scored 4 hat tricks this season.

thiago ryan jan34.png

He’s a peculiar player. By that, I mean that he was the top scorer in the Premier League last season and has 19 goals in 24 Premier League games this season, but it always feels like he could do more.

thiago ryan goals jan.png

I might be being a bit harsh. If he leads us to Champions League glory I shall never doubt him again.

RB Leipzig await us in the 1st Knockout Round.

rb leipzing knokcouts.png

We should beat them on aggregate but we need to make sure we take our chances.

We prepared for the first leg against RB Leipzig with an incredible result against Chelsea.

Record signing Ian Johnson decided to fly two-footed into someone after 90 seconds, leaving us with 10 men for the rest of the game. Yet we were still the better team and ended up winning 3-0!

chelsea 3-0.png

It was interesting to see that RB Leipzig had 2 former Altrincham players in their team. The first was Diego Silva, who got promoted twice with us from the Championship.

silva rbl.png

silva rbl career.png

The second is Julian Cordoba. He instantly complained about something when he signed so didn’t actually feature for us in a competitive match!

cordoba rbl.png

cordobal rbl career.png

I would’ve taken a 1-0 win before the first leg, but we really should have won by more.

rbl first leg.png

But it was another win and another clean sheet. All we’ve been doing is winning and keeping clean sheets.

sched mar34.png

In fact, during March we broke club records for consecutive games won and consecutive clean sheets.

win record.png

clean sheets.png

We also decided to take all of our chances in the second leg against RB Leipzig.

Screenshot 2020-08-25 at 23.14.53.png

We. Are. Seriously. Good. At. Football.

We’ve breezed into the Champions League quarter final, and Michael Adjetey’s 4 goals took him to the top of the scoring charts in the Champions League.

adj cl top scorer.png

adj march 34.png

Our opponent in the quarter-final will be Real Madrid, the team who we beat in the 1st Knockout Round last season.

real madrid qf .png

They’re 2nd in La Liga so we’re arguably favourites to go through!

real madrid table 34.png

I say this because we are top of the Premier League… by a mile.

table mar34.png

Back to back titles looks like it’s going to happen, but the Champions League and FA Cup are still the focus as well.

A largely changed team did brilliantly to beat Man City in the FA Cup, with all 3 goals coming from Englishmen.

man city fa cup.png

They’ll get another chance to defy the odds against Liverpool in the FA Cup quarter-final.

liverpool fa cup.png

Our winning and clean sheet run is going to come to an end at some point. But at the moment we are looking unstoppable.

I won’t mention the treble. Best not to tempt fate…

Brazillian left back Idlemar earned the first cap for his country on his 20th birthday in the March international break.

idlemar brazil cap.png

I was a bit concerned about who he was thanking... but it turns out that Brazil’s manager has an excellent name and an excellent facepack image.

idlemar manager.png

Our clean sheet run may have ended, but our second string XI still beat Liverpool in the FA Cup quarter final at Anfield!

liverpool facup qf.png

We’ll play Rotherham in the semi-final, who are stuck in a Championship relegation battle.

rotherham fa cup semi.png

The FA Cup was a nice distraction for us but the Champions League was the priority.

The first leg against Real Madrid was at the Bernabeu and the home side were the slight favourites.

real madrid preview.png

A mazy run from £111m signing Ian Johnson set up holding midfielder Eder Claveria after 10 minutes.

claveria 1-0.png

And the score did not change.

real 1st leg0-1.png

We’re becoming 1-0 specialists! That win was our 18th consecutive win in all competitions. 18 wins in a row!

18 in a row.png

We were in the perfect position going into the second leg.

Everything was going swimmingly and we were cruising towards the semi-finals with Michael
Adjetey’s early goal. Then Real scored after 88 minutes.

real equaliser.png

All of a sudden I was in panic mode.

If they scored again, then they were going through at our expense.

So we parked the bus for the final few minutes.

real second leg 1-1.png

Few! We are into the Champions League semi-final and will face Borussia Dortmund. They are second in the Bundesliga, so if we can beat Real Madrid then we should be beating them.

dortmund semi.png

dortmund table.png

That’s because we are the best team in England by a long way. The second leg against Real Madrid result ended the longest winning run in our history of 19 matches.

sched jan-apr.png

With 5 games remaining, we are 14 points clear and so are on the brink of winning the Premier League for the second successive season.

table apr34.png

So one part of the potential treble is virtually completed. Just an FA Cup semi-final and Champions League semi-final to get through...