Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League

Going into our FA Cup semi-final against Rotherham, who were in the Championship relegation zone, I expected nothing but a comfortable win. But no.

rotherham 3-4.png

They almost took our rotated team to extra time and I felt a bit bad when Mike Smith scored a winner in injury time.

smith apr34.png

An incredible stat is that we had conceded 2 goals in our last 14 games before that, yet Championship strugglers Rotherham were the team to score 3 against us!

We will face Manchester United in the final. I’ll need to make a decision about whether to go with the team who got us to the final, or whether to put out our full-strength squad.

man u facup final.png

After that Rotherham match, we faced Aston Villa at home. A win would seal the Premier League title.

villa prem title.png

We breezed past them to confirm our second Premier League title in a row!

table title.png

With 89 points, we have 5 more points than we did in the entirety of last season and could still finish the season with 100 points if we win our last 4 games.

It was down to the goalscoring of Thiago Ryan, the defensive prowess of Hector Pozos and the creativity of new signings Alfredo Jose and Johnson, but we’ll cover the players individually at the end of the season.

player stats apr34.png

For now we have a Champions League semi-final tie against Borussia Dortmund to concentrate on.

Their best player is Romeu Firmino, who spent a season on loan with Altrincham and scored twice in the FA Cup final for us.

firmino apr34.png

He was then part of the Chelsea side that knocked us out of the Champions League at the semi-final stage two seasons ago.

firmino career.png

But we have a much better squad than we did 2 seasons ago. Only 3 players who started in the semi-final 2 years ago are starting this time around. (Bondarenko, Claveria and Adjetey)

team semi.png

With no injuries and no suspensions, we’re favourites for the first leg even though we're the away team.

semi preview.png

Can we get to our first ever Champions League final?

The first leg of the Champions League semi-final at Dortmund could not have started any better.

dortmund ryan goal.png

Centre back Hector Pozos won the ball in the air from a corner and Thiago Ryan was there at the back post to score after 3 mins.

We were so dominant in the first half that by half time we had limited Dortmund to just one shot.

dortmund 1st half.png

But, just like in the quarter-final against Real Madrid, we dominated the first leg away from home yet only won 1-0.

dortmund second half.png

Goalkeeper Valdo was the man of the match, saving just the 12 shots!

dortmun 0-1 first leg.png

Meanwhile, our 100 point season was thwarted by relegation bound Bournemouth (out of all the teams!) We played a completely rotated side but it’s becoming a bit of a joke how many shots we have and how few goals we score.

bourneouth 0-0.png

2 of our 3 draws this season have been against them, they truly are our bogey team.

bournemouth draws.png

But getting 100 points in the league did not matter. Getting through to the Champions League final is what mattered.

All we needed for the second leg was a clean sheet. And that’s what we got.

dortmund second leg.png

We’ll ignore the fact that we’ve scored once in our past 3 matches… we’re into the Champions League final and will face Barcelona!

barca final.png

They’ve won the competition twice in the last 3 years and will be favourites even though we’ve dominated the Premier League this season.

barca cl history.png

This has already been our best season so far. But we are just 2 wins away from completing the treble.

sched finals.png

We’re unbeaten in 26 matches and have lost once since November. Nothing can go wrong from here…

Something I touched on in the last post was our lack of goals despite creating numerous chances.

last 3 matches.png

Looking closely at the stats was scary. How can we have 55 shots in the area but not score any of them?

last 3 analysis.png

I put it down to bad finishing and we had 2 league games remaining to prove that we could actually score goals.

The first could not have been tougher as it was away against Liverpool, the second-best team in the division.

liverpool 0-2 2034.png

It was good of Thiago Ryan to take a chance this time.

Our final league match of the season was against already relegated Burnley. We scored just 3 of our 41 shots.

burnley 1-3.png

But I don’t really care about that when we win. It was also our 28th match without defeat, a new club record.

28 undefeated.png

The upcoming FA Cup and Champions League finals have sort of overshadowed the fact that we finished on 99 points this season!

table may2034.png

We won 32 of our 38 matches. Which is just ridiculous.

We also finished 31 points ahead of Man United, who were our opponents in the 2034 FA Cup Final.

fa cup final preview.png

We were aiming to win it for the second time and I decided to be loyal and give the players who got us to the final the chance to impress. It meant our starting XI contained 7 Englishmen and 3 teenagers.

fa cup final starting xi.png

And they did us proud.

fa cup final 1-0.png

There could not have been a more fitting goalscorer. Predrag Djuric has already agreed to move to Celtic after falling down the pecking order but scored for us in his last start for the club.

djuric may34.png

He’s seen it all at Altrincham, having been relegated from the Premier League as well as winning it twice with 2 FA Cup victories as well.

djuric career.png

Well, I say he’s seen it all…

He’s not seen Altrincham in a Champions League final.

cl final.png

Barcelona are up next.

Before our first ever Champions League Final against Barcelona, I noticed that former player William Murillo was ruled out with injury.

murillo injured final.png

We sold him to Barca for £110m, so it’s a good job he’s not fit for the final.

murillo may34.png

As per Hampus Silverholt Champions League final tradition, I'm going to list the full starting lineup.

This is my first Champions League final since FM18 (and I lost both of them with Berwick) and I'm pretty sure that the last time I won it was on FM16...

Goalkeeper - Matteo Ferrarini. Signed for £57m from Roma in 2033.

ferrarini.png

In his first season at the club and missed the Champions League final for Roma last season with injury.

Right Back - Oleg Bondarenko. Signed for £35m from Dynamo Kyiv in 2030.

bondarenko.png

Will be our captain at the San Siro with regular skipper Felix Baker on the bench.

Centre Back - Hector Pozos. Signed for £11m from Pumas in 2030.

pozoz.png

The best centre back in the world. Probably.

Centre Back - Cyril Ferreira. Signed for £16m from Basel in 2031.

ferreira.png

Both he and Pozos are 6’4” so I'll cry if we concede a headed goal.

Left Back - Idlemar. Signed for £20m from Corinthians in 2033.

idlemar.png

He was on loan at Corinthians this time last season and is now starting in the Champions League final.

Defensive Midfielder - Eder Claveria. Signed for £6m from Colo-Colo in 2027.

claveria.png

One of two players in the starting lineup to have been with us in the Championship.

Central Midfielder - Alfredo Jose. Signed for £93m from Roma in 2033.

jose.png

The only player in the team with Champions League final experience.

Central Midfielder - JJ Vazquez. Signed for £19m from PUMAS in 2031.

vazquez.png

Another World Class Mexican player in the team.

Right Winger - Ian Johnson. Signed for £111m from Everton in 2033.

johnson.png

Our record signing. Would instantly repay the huge fee by winning us the Champions League.

Left Winger - Michael Adjetey. Signed for £75m from Brighton in 2031

adjetey.png

Unstoppable on his day and has 9 Champions League goals this season.

Striker - Thiago Ryan. Signed for £10 from Flamengo in 2027.

thiago ryan.png

Our top scorer with 29 goals this season but always feels like he could do more. Which Thiago Ryan will we see in the final?

cl final 34 preview.png

So, we’ve done the domestic double… can we do the treble?

Wow, this team is incredible! Best of luck in the final. I know you've already attached one save file but with the way the team looks now, do you think you could attach an updated one? Some of these players look incredible to try out!

So I am literally checking this several times a day to see what happened.....:D I hope it's good news. Good luck if you haven't played the final yet!

Wow, this team is incredible! Best of luck in the final. I know you've already attached one save file but with the way the team looks now, do you think you could attach an updated one? Some of these players look incredible to try out!

I'll upload a save file at the weekend mate, my internet is awful so it'll take a while

So I am literally checking this several times a day to see what happened.....:D I hope it's good news. Good luck if you haven't played the final yet!

Sorry to keep you waiting!

I could not help but notice that Barcelona were missing 3 key players for the final, including Aitor Flano who is one of the best in the world.

barca inuries.png

That just added to the pressure. This was a game we should probably win...

The final could not have started any better for us, with centre back Cyril Ferreira scoring an impressive left-footed volley at the back post from an indirect freekick within 3 minutes.

ferreira 1-0.png

It remained 1-0 at half time and Barca had not even had a shot on target.

half time 1-0.png

Once again we had dominated the half but only had one goal to show for it. All it would take was one Barcelona chance to ruin our day.

But instead, the next goal was scored by a little Brazilian named Thiago Ryan Zaluar Mattos de Souza. You and I know him as Thiago Ryan.

thiago ryan 2-0.png

Thiago Ryan, I am sorry for ever doubting you. His goal was messy but a thoroughly deserved one for us as we had dominated the entire match.

Then Michael Adjetey decided he wanted to be the top scorer in the Champions League.

adjetey 3-0.png

There was even time for Hector Pozos to score in injury time.

pozos 4-0.png

What on earth have we done?

hampus trophy.png

We have just thrashed Barcelona in the Champions League final, that’s what we’ve done!

cl winners.png

Alfredo Jose was named Man of the Match for his two assists but it really was a team effort.

It means that we have completed the treble of the Premier League, FA Cup and Champions League.

treble.png

Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League is now complete.

No worries about the save file mate, but what an incredible performance in the final! Fully deserved after the incredible journey and effort the team has put in! Congratulations!

Well done on the UCL win! Imagine saying that you'd one day trounce Barcelona 4 - 0 to seal a treble for Altrincham back when you got relegated. Amazing stuff.

FANTASTIC!!! Great achievement. That is some way to complete the treble!!!!!?

No worries about the save file mate, but what an incredible performance in the final! Fully deserved after the incredible journey and effort the team has put in! Congratulations!

Well done on the UCL win! Imagine saying that you'd one day trounce Barcelona 4 - 0 to seal a treble for Altrincham back when you got relegated. Amazing stuff.

FANTASTIC!!! Great achievement. That is some way to complete the treble!!!!!?

Cheers everyone, it's been a crazy journey but losing 5-0 in the Playoffs to Bournemouth and getting relegated from the Premier League all seems worth it now!

Here's the link to the save just after we've won the Champions League https://gofile.io/d/srpEhO

Well then, where do I begin.

The 2033/34 season has been truly remarkable as we have won the Premier League, FA Cup and the Champions League.

treble again.png

8 Altrincham players were named in the Champions League Team of the Year and Michael Adjetey was top goalscorer in the competition.

cl toty 34.png

adj cl golden boot.png

Whereas Goalkeeper Matteo Ferrarini kept 10 clean sheets in 12 Champions League matches (to go with his 22 Premier League clean sheets)

ferrarini goty.png

We absolutely dominated the Premier League, winning the title by 17 points.

final table34.png

Thiago Ryan scooped all the awards including Players Player and Footballer of the Year despite actually finishing second top goalscorer in the league.

thiago ryan POTY.png

Thiago Ryan goals 34.png

Alfredo Jose was named Young Player of the Year and his 13 assists was the most in the division.

jose ypoty.png

He’s just turned 21 but is already one of the best in the world and the scary thing is that this squad is young and will only get better!

squad view 34.png

So that’s a review of our season.

Considering we’ve just won the Champions League it feels like a good time to take a look at some of the more historic stats in the next post. And maybe check the hall of fame...

Wow, I've been keeping an eye on this thread, you've really made a name for yourself and I'm very impressed, I wish it was so easy with Stockport btw trying to download the file with the link you posted, it's still loading, any waiting time for me to download the game file?

EDIT: It's uploaded, I've got the game file now thanks (y)

Wow, I've been keeping an eye on this thread, you've really made a name for yourself and I'm very impressed, I wish it was so easy with Stockport btw trying to download the file with the link you posted, it's still loading, any waiting time for me to download the game file?

EDIT: It's uploaded, I've got the game file now thanks (y)

Cheers mate, glad it's downloaded for you I was worried it might not work. I was very close to doing this whole save as Stockport rather than Altrincham just cause I wanted to do a lower league team in the Manchester area... maybe something I'll do for FM21

In 15 seasons we have gone from the National League North to 2x Premier League winners and Champions League holders.

year on year.png

All of that was achieved having spent £992m on players in my entire Altrincham career, whilst bringing in £950m in transfer fees.

transfer stats.png

And it was done with us having just the 9th highest spend on wages in the Premier League, although that is going to rise in the summer.

wages 34.png

And we have £255m in the bank, so are by no means short of money.

bank balance jun34.png

Thiago Ryan now has 117 league goals (90 of which have been in the Premier League).

thiago ryan career stats jun34.png

He’s won the Premier League twice and the Golden Boot once, as well as winning the Champions League and scoring in the final.

thiago ryan jun34.png

All that is really left for him to do is break the Altrincham record of 192 league goals.

altrincham goal record.png

It’s still strange that he only has 2 caps from Brazil, but he is one of 18 Altrincham players to be part of the 2034 World Cup.

world cup 34 players.png

Club captain Felix Baker is part of the England squad for the tournament.

baker jun34.png

He’s had an unbelievable career having spent 10 seasons at the club making 362 appearances in all competitions.

baker career jun34.png

Predrag Djuric is another player who has had a superb Altrincham career.

djuric jun34.png

He’s leaving in the summer but his last 2 appearances were to score the winner in the FA Cup final and then play the last few minutes in the Champions League final.

djuric career jun34.png

Finally, I’ve also entered the Hall of Fame as the 10th most successful manager in England of all time.

hall of fame.png

Despite achieving what I set out to do with this save, I still want to carry on. However, the updates are probably going to be less frequent.

We’ve qualified for the 2037 Club World Cup (in 3 seasons time), so it’d be nice to take part in that with Altrincham but we shall see!

Cheers mate, glad it's downloaded for you I was worried it might not work. I was very close to doing this whole save as Stockport rather than Altrincham just cause I wanted to do a lower league team in the Manchester area... maybe something I'll do for FM21

Ah ok thanks, I've tried with Stockport but I've had one or two successful campaigns but I always start with Stockport on every FM, I've started with Leicester currently but I always hate being sacked from the club I've supported since I was 13, I'm 33 going 34 next Saturday