Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League

Some good young players being brought in there and hopefully unless anything going horribly wrong you should be safe and can build on it from there

Why did you only sign 5 loan players? I imagine it would make sense to sign 7-8 due to likely injuries and suspensions. Assuming at the more often than not seems possible to sign brilliant loan players on the cheap, often much more value for money than permanent signings, at least when you are not an established top 6 premiership club or around there.

Some good young players being brought in there and hopefully unless anything going horribly wrong you should be safe and can build on it from there

Yeah I'm finding momentum to be a big thing in this years game so as soon as we win 1 game we seem to win a few on the bounce so don't have any worries about relegation this year.

Why did you only sign 5 loan players? I imagine it would make sense to sign 7-8 due to likely injuries and suspensions. Assuming at the more often than not seems possible to sign brilliant loan players on the cheap, often much more value for money than permanent signings, at least when you are not an established top 6 premiership club or around there.

Yeah I get what you're saying. I think I'd just prefer to give players who I actually own a chance rather than flood the squad with loans. Ideally I want to have as few players on loan as I can as I don't want to be developing players for other clubs all the time. It was just in this instance that we needed to get 5 loans because the quality we had in the squad was not good enough to stay up in the Championship

With 10 games of our first season in the Championship remaining, we are comfortably in 9th position and a top half finish seems likely.

table mar25.png

Morale and momentum seem to have a massive impact on FM this year and we seem to be winning games that we should not be because of it. For instance, we beat Burnley at home despite having nowhere near a good enough squad to do so.

sched mar25.png

Our success has also been purely because of the performances of the 5 players that we have on loan. We have 6 players that average above 7.00 in the league and 5 of them are the loan signings.

loans mar25.png

Rio Corbett (on loan from Arsenal) is second top scorer and Ollie Fraser (on loan from Man United) has the highest average rating in the league.

corbett fraser stats.png

Centre back Tim Roberts (also on loan from Man Utd) averages 7.13 and is the main reason why we have 15 clean sheets this season.

roberts mar25.png

And right back Richard Sutton has 2 goals and 4 assists for us.

sutton mar25.png

With 10 games to go I’m not expecting a playoff push but we can safely say that we’re not going to get relegated. It’s once again been an incredible season, even if it is the first time in 4 years that we haven’t won the league!

We ended up losing 6 of our last 10 league games but who cares? We finished 11th in the Championship!

sched may25.png

table may25.png

It’s amazing that we stayed up never mind a top-half finish. What a season!

In the final games, I gave Christian Norton a run in the team. His 5 goals in 10 games gives me a decision to make on whether he should be first choice next season.

norton may25.png

Another player that got a run in the team is Connor Stanley, who has now made 200 appearances for the club.

stanley may25.png

Not only that, he has scored for Altrincham in every single division. Just the Premier League to go!

stanley career25.png

We’ve been given a paltry budget of £1m for next year, which is even worse considering the wage budget.

budgets may25.png

But I’ve got some Northern Irish teenagers on loan in League One this season that could make the step up. The first is Shane Ryan, who helped Wimbledon to 10th place

ryan may25.png

And the next is Paul McVeigh, who has 6 senior caps for Northern Ireland but only scored 3 times in 17 matches for Scunthorpe last season.

mcveigh may25.png

The playoffs mean it's not officially the end of the season yet but I'm expecting Altrincham players to be amongst the individual awards at the end of the campaign.

Just caught up - fantastic effort. Championship is a difficult league as I'm experiencing with Exeter right now!
Great to see you steamroll all the way here, and great first season. The budget is tiny but hopefully you can work some more magic!

Just caught up - fantastic effort. Championship is a difficult league as I'm experiencing with Exeter right now!
Great to see you steamroll all the way here, and great first season. The budget is tiny but hopefully you can work some more magic!

Yeah it's more of a challenge but I actually don't mind after finding the last 3 or 4 seasons so easy. I'm happy to spend this season around midtable and go for promotion next year but we'll see

What a season it has been. Against all the odds, we survived our first season in the Championship and managed an 11th placed finish.

final table 25.png

Our loan signings in particular were a success this season, with all 5 averaging over 7.00

squad view 25.png

The best of the bunch was Ollie Fraser. His performances earned him player of the year in the Championship.

fraser POTY.png

fraser june25.png

He had the highest average rating in the league, had the most player of the matches in the league and made 150 key passes… the next best was 106.

fraser key passes.png

I don’t even know what constitutes a key pass but those numbers are ridiculous!

Tim Roberts also excelled at centre back and the fact that he won the most headers and interceptions in the league has persuaded me to extend his loan.

roberts jun25.png

roberts headers.png

roberts interceptions.png

And striker Rio Corbett ended the season with 17 league goals which was the 4th highest in the league. However, I’ve decided against extending his loan because of the options we have coming through.

corbett jun25.png

Elsewhere, a few squad players will be leaving when their contract expires, the msot significant of which is backup keeper Vitezslav Jaros.

jaros jun25.png

He was first choice in the National League and League Two and performed well in the cups in the past 2 seasons. He will always be remembered for his contribution to get us where we are today.

jaros career 25.png

Finally, the board sprung a surprise in announcing that a new stadium will be built.

new stadium.png

To be honest we don’t really have the money for it and it does not seem worth building a stadium that holds less than 15,000 when the current one holds 7,000

new stad capacity.png

But there’s nothing we can do. For now we have to see how we can spend our transfer kitty of £1.1m…

It’s the start of the 2025/26 season, our second in the Championship and we’ve probably had our quietest transfer window yet. For some reason we were unable to ask the board to increase the transfer budget so we have to be prudent with our dealings.

Firstly, Neil Farrugia has gone to Dundee United for £500,000.

farrugia fee.png

He spent one season at the club as backup after coming in on a free so when Dundee offered half a million I
farrugia dundee.png
had to accept.

As mentioned previously, Mamadou Bamba joins us on a free from ASEC Mimosas and is already worth £1.8m.

bamba jul25.png

We’ve also made our most expensive signing in Brandon Cooper for £575,000.

cooper fee.png

He’s on a lot of money (which is still a pittance compared to other Championship clubs) but we needed a centre back and so triggered his relegation release clause to sign him from Sheffield Wednesday after they were relegated to League One last season.

cooper jul 25.png

Then we signed another centre back, John Peacock.

peacock fee.png

£180,000 for him was a no brainer, even if we didn’t necessarily need him. He’s young, English and if someone wants to trigger his £12m release clause then they can be my guest.

peacock jul 25.png

Finally, I decided to extend the loan of Abdullahi Ikechukwu from Liverpool as I couldnt find a decent right winger in our price range. It means we have 3 players on loan at the club for the second season in a row

ickechuwku jul25.png

Rather than have a complete overhaul, we had a number of players in the squad who have been on loan at clubs in the lower divisions but are good enough to be back up.

That means that we still have the lowest wage expenditure in the division, we’re spending £90,000 a week whereas Bournemouth are spending £1m.

wage expenditure.png

And our squad is good enough to be predicted to finish 12th in the league.

prediction 25.png

If we keep people fit and start well then I think we could make a playoff push this season.

Great finish to the season and hope you can push towards those play-off places this season.

7 games into the Championship season, we sit 6th in the table.

table aug25.png

But we’re only 3 points off 19th position because the league is so close. Our form has been a bit erratic with home losses at the start and end of the month and we’re yet to keep a clean sheet.

sched aug25.png

Yet we thrashed the favourites for the league Bournemouth 4-1 away.

bournemouth 4-1.png

Christian Norton scored a hattrick in that game and is the top scorer in the division with 6 in 7 games. But the number of chances he gets each game is ridiculous and he should have at least double the number of goals he has already.

norton aug25.png

We also knocked out Premier League side Leeds in the League Cup. They put out a strong side but we scored all our penalties in the shoot out.

leeds 0-0 efl cup.png

That set us up for a third round match away against Manchester United. It’ll be the first time we’ve played them in the save.

man u 3rd round.png

So the next few months will be interesting. If we manage to sort ourselves at defensively then we could consolidate a place in the playoffs.

Playoff spot is definitely on the cards this season I reckon. Also a nice money spinner in the carabao cup as well with Man Utd

Playoff spot is definitely on the cards this season I reckon. Also a nice money spinner in the carabao cup as well with Man Utd

Yeah if we avoid injuries I think we could be in with a shout. Still can't believe we smashed Bournemouth!

We have played a third of our league games and the Championship table is ridiculously close. We sit in 9th position and are just 2 points off the playoffs but also only 2 points ahead of Nottingham Forest in 14th.

table oct25.png

At the moment we can’t string a run of results together which would see us enter the playoff places. We also lost 5-2 to a strong Man United side at Old Trafford in the League Cup.

sched oct35.png

And we’re also conceding far too many goals. We have just 2 clean sheets in 15 matches and have conceded the joint-most amount in the division with 28 (level with bottom club Bolton).

goals conceded 25.png

The leaky defence is not too big of an issue when we have the 2 most in-form players in the league in Ollie Fraser and Abdullahi Ikechukwu.

fraser ick ratings.png

Ikechukwu, who is in his second season at the club on loan from Liverpool, has 6 goals and 8 assists in his 14 league matches.

ikechukwu oct25.png

Whereas Fraser is on course to become the Player of the Year in the Championship for the second season in a row.

fraser oct25.png

We’ve lost 1 in our last 6 and our next 3 games are against teams below us so I’m hoping that by Christmas we are in a real shout of making the playoffs.

Since the last post we’ve played all of our November and December matches and results have gone well for us.

sched dec25.png

7 wins in the last 10 matches mean that we are seriously pushing for a playoff spot.

table dec25.png

The Championship is so weird! Sides like Derby and West Brom are really struggling at the bottom of the table whereas Oxford, who are managed by Paulo Ferreira, cannot stop winning and could be in the Premier League next season.

ferreira.png

We were also hit with the news that striker Paul McVeigh has a broken leg and will probably miss the rest of the season.

mcveigh injury.png

He only has one league goal because of the form of Norton but I was hoping he would be a striker that was with us for the long haul. He cost just £20,000 from Glentoran.

mcveigh nov25.png

He is just one of 7 teenagers in the first team picture, all of which are contracted to the club.

Right back Richie Belcher, signed for £13,000 from TNS, recently got his first England under 21 cap.

belcher dec25.png

John Peacock has established himself in the side as well. He was just £180,000 from Chelsea in the last transfer window.

peacock dec25.png

And Shane Ryan has recently won his first cap for the Northern Ireland national team. He’s the only one of our youngsters who is wanted by Premier League clubs and I may be tempted to sell if a hefty fee comes in for him. He cost just £10,000 from Dungannon Swifts 2 years ago.

ryan dec25.png

Finally, there is Felix Baker. He’s probably our best player but has just two assists and no goals in 20 Championship appearances.

baker dec25.png

I also have a decision to make on whether I want to give him a contract with a £28m release clause. I managed to get an extension clause in his original contract so he’s with us for the next 4 years but he’s the lowest paid player at the club so has been asking for a pay rise.

baker contract.png

I don’t plan to make any transfers in January, only if we are forced to sell a first team player. For now we have a playoff push as well as an FA Cup 3rd round game against Bradford to look forward to.

bradford fa cup.png

The furthest we’ve got in the FA Cup is the 4th round so it would be nice to go on a run this season.

Cracking start mate. I hope you can continue your good form and stay in contention for promotion!

In the last post, I mentioned how Shane Ryan was attracting attention. I didn’t want him to leave but then Villa came in with an offer of £8m… so I negotiated the terms a bit.

Ryan fee.png

Shane Ryan has joined Villa for £10m plus we get 50% of the next sale. The highest previous fee we have received is £575,000. £10 million, they paid TEN MILLION POUNDS for him!

ryan villa.png

I get that he’s only 19 and a Northern Ireland international but he only started 6 league games for us and didn’t get a goal or an assist. There’s also the fact that we spent £10,000 to bring him to the club 18 months ago so I make that a 1,000% profit!

ryan career.png

That wasn’t even the craziest deal of the transfer window. Let me introduce to you Shane Ryan’s replacement.

pjanic jan26.png

Yup, Miralem Pjanic is an Altrincham player! He had no club and is retiring at the end of the season and with no obvious replacements available (that didn’t want ridiculously high wages) having him at the club for 6 months made sense. Plus, it’s Miralem Pjanic… playing for Altrincham!

pjanic career jan26.png

But it got more hectic. Our right back Mamadou Bamba had a release clause I forgot about…

Bamba release clause.png

So he’s gone as well. £9.25m. We’re becoming quite the money makers!

bamba everton.png

He literally spent 6 months at the club and we made a £9m profit so I can’t really complain.

bamba career.png

His unexpected departure meant that I didn’t have long to get a replacement. In the end, we signed Thomas Bak from Crystal Palace for £500,000 and he’ll do for now.

Bak Jan 26.png

But there’s more!

Cardiff came in with a £3m bid for our striker Christian Norton. He’s top scorer in the league...

norton top scorer.png

...but I still decided to accept.

norton cardiff.png

He’s another one we’ve made a big profit on in a short space of time.

norton career.png

I know it may seem like a bizarre thing to sell the top scorer in the league, but I was never comfortable with Norton having 10 for finishing and that is reflected by the fact he has had far more shots on target than any other striker in the division.

norton shots on target.png

I just can’t see him being a Premier League striker for us. Plus, I had already brought in a Russian striker called Pavel Kirilenko from Krasnodar. He was only £650,000 and is one of 3 strikers at the club who I all believe will be useful for us in the Premier League. I like his physical stats and the fact there is room for improvement. For that price, the move made sense.

kirilenko jan26.png

So those massive transfer fees mean that we have a lot of money in the bank. No matter what happens this season, it will be spent on improving the squad in the summer, I just didn’t want to make any rash signings in January.

finances feb26.png

January was a month of madness not only off the pitch but on the pitch too. Somehow, we beat Crystal Palace 6-0 at home.

palace 6-0.png

Connor Stanley had a rare start in that game and scored a hattrick.

stanley jan25.png

He’s not Championship quality but has been with us since the National League North, scoring in every division along the way. I didn't think that he'd be scoring hattricks for us in the Championship when he first joined!

stanley career jan25.png

We were also knocked out of the FA Cup by Spurs in the fourth round. It could’ve been different if Norton scored a penalty at 0-0.

spurs facup 2-0.png

We actually only have one win in our last 5 in the league, so things are heating up around us.

table jan 26.png

6th position and a game in hand is positive. But we are yet to see the impact that those transfers will have on the squad. It’s going to be an interesting end to this season!

Some amazing outgoings there that will help the club in the long term financially along with setting you up nicely for bringing in players who's contracts will be expiring at the end of the season or finding more young and exiting players on the cheap.