Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League

Think you made the right choice with your outgoings. Always important to look after your clubs finances with the smaller clubs.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Some amazing outgoings there that will help the club in the long term financially along with setting you up nicely for bringing in players who's contracts will be expiring at the end of the season or finding more young and exiting players on the cheap.

I've managed to expand our scouting range to worldwide and I'm a sucker for a regen so will be scouting everywhere to find wonderkids to bring in in the summer!

Think you made the right choice with your outgoings. Always important to look after your clubs finances with the smaller clubs.
Good luck for the rest of the season.

Even if we don't go up the season I'm not too concerned as I think getting promoted now would be too soon for us, so I'm glad we've finally got some money in the bank for a rebuild in the summer

We’ve played all our February and March league games and, as it seems to have been throughout the entirety of the season, we are just about holding onto 6th place.

table march26.png

Goal differences is our friend but we’ve had a slight wobble in our most recent games to allow Birmingham City to catch up to us. We also may or may not have lost to Brentford because of a misplaced Pjanic pass...

sched march 26.png

There’s just 6 games remaining but it looks like our final 2 matches against Oxford (who are still in 2nd place!) and Blues will decide things.

fixtures 26.png

As for the signings, whereas Pjanic was giving away points to Brentford, our Russian striker Kirilenko has scored 2 goals since joining. He hasn’t played that much because moving Zac Fryatt from the left wing to striker has worked a treat and he has 7 goals in his last 7 matches.

fryatt mar 26.png

And midfielder Chay Cooper has been playing out of his skin all season.

cooper mar.png

He has 9 goals and 6 assists this season, all from a box to box role.

cooper career 26.png

Also, our 3 big money departures are all back ups at their teams and have managed just 4 appearances between them. You love to see it!

So, 6 games to go...

Even if we don’t get to the playoffs I won’t be disappointed as we were only expected to finish mid-table. But, after spending so long in 5th and 6th position this season, it would be silly of us if we bottled it at the final hurdle.

Good Friday was bad for us as we lost at home to Nottingham Forest 1-0.

forest 1-0.png

It was the 4th game in a row without winning and meant we dropped out of the playoff places for the first time in months.

table forest 41.png

But we resurrected on Easter Monday, beating Reading 1-0 and moving above Birmingham in the table who lost at home to Barnsley.

reading 1-0.png
table reading 42.png

But after that win we decided to lose our next game against Bristol City and then give not one, not two, but three penalties away against Swansea in our match after that.

bristol 2-0.png
swansea 5-1.png

But somehow, despite those 2 losses, we were still in 6th position.

table 44.png

We went into our pivotal, season-defining game against Birmingham with both of us in the worst form we’ve been in all season. A win at St Andrews would confirm our playoff spot.

blues preview.png

And so what did we do after losing 5-1 against Swansea?

Screenshot 2020-05-10 at 13.08.10.png

We scored 4 in the first half and beat Blues 5-2. Of course we did!

playoff place.png

A brilliant performance ensured that we made it to the playoffs. We’re alarmingly inconsistent, but beating Blues like that was impressive considering they were in the Premier League last season.

Our last game of the season was at home against Oxford, who needed a win to secure promotion to the Premier League after an incredible season.

table 45.png

We put out our strongest team and I wasn’t too fussed about the result.

oxford 1-2.png

Fairplay to Oxford. They came up from League One at the same time as us and were one of the favourites to get relegated this season so I hope they smash it in the Premier League next season.

table 46.png

It does mean that we’ll play Bournemouth in the semi-finals of the playoffs.

bournemouth playoffs.png

They were favourites to win the league and were playing in the Europa League last season, so I can’t say I’m expecting much.

bournemouth histroy.png

But who knows what will happen. We’re just 3 wins away from the Premier League…

So close but an excellent way to finish the season and should be a nice step for next season to take it one further

Bournemouth are a team that frankly should never have been relegated from the Premier League. Their salary is almost 10x the size of ours...

bournemouth salary.png

altrincham salary.png

However, we did give them the shock of the season by beating them 4-1 in August. Christian Norton, who got a hat-trick in that game, is now warming the bench for Cardiff who face Brentford in the other semi-final.

bournemouth prev fixture.png

8 of our starting XI for the first leg were under the age of 23 and we also had 9 English players starting.

starting XI Bournemouth.png

The first leg was at home and could not have started any better.

fryatt 1-0.png

However, that was as good as it got.

1-1.png

2-1.png

3-1.png

Bournemouth were clinical and at the end of the day their quality shone through.

3-1 first leg.png

We’re a decent side but Nikola Simonovic is top scorer in the Championship for a reason and there’s no way that Jayden Bogle should be playing in the Championship.

simonovic bournemouth.png

bogle.png

A miracle was needed in the second leg.

But we were abysmal.

bourneouth 5-0.png

5-0. Wow. Well that was the most underwhelming end to the season.

When their third choice striker scores a hat-trick and is on more money than your 4 attacking players who started the match combined you realise just how out of our depth you are.

And when their Brazilian regen right back, who they signed for £15m, scored a world-class solo goal you realise just how much out of luck you are.

renan.png

We’ll be back for you Bournemouth. And revenge will be oh so sweet.

oft thats some mental players they have for the Championship. You'll come back stronger next season I'm sure.

Sooo nice to see another Altrincham story! Keep it up mate, I'm in the 2022/23 season now with them and in the League One, but only signing U23 players... Let's see if I can catch up with you :D

They were massive favourites for the final and Bournemouth narrowly managed to beat Brentford to get promoted back to the Premier League.

playoff final 26.png

I’m still disappointed by the way we folded against them, but it was still an incredible achievement to finish 6th in the league.

final table 26.png

Our young, predominantly English squad is coming along nicely and it’s still easy to forget that we have the lowest wage expenditure in the division.

squad view 26.png

Incredibly, Ollie Fraser was named Championship Player Of The Year for the 2nd season in a row. Man Utd want to have a look at him next season so he may not be around for us next year.

fraser may26.png

fraser POTY twice.png

He had the highest average rating in the league once again and it seems to be because of all the key passes he makes.

Fraser key passes.png

A strong end to the season for Felix Baker meant that he ended with 11 assists in the league. I still haven’t given him a new contract as I’m unable to get rid of the release clause but he is finally starting to play to his ability.

Baker May25.png

Abdullahi Ikechukwu was another standout for us with 11 goals and 11 assists. Despite that, I’m unsure if i’ll keep him on loan for a third season at the club.

Ikechukwu may26.png

That’s because I have been given £13m by the board to spend on the squad.

budgets 26.png

And that may become more if a high bid is put in for striker Paul McVeigh. He was limited to 7 appearances all season because of injury but is wanted by a number of Premier League clubs. I sense another Shane Ryan situation!

McVeigh May 26.png

The main news at the end of the season was that our new stadium is to be completed in 2 years time. It’s named after Altrincham legend Mark Maddox who has been diagnosed with motor neurones disease in real life.

new stadium 26.png

Finally, Miralem Pjanic is retiring in the summer after making 14 appearances in total for us. It means the average age of the squad will dramatically decrease.

pjanic 26.png

Time for us to make the transfers that will enable us to get into the Premier League!

Another transfer window. Another Premier League club willing to pay ridiculous money for a young Northern Irish player we have that has made hardly any first-team appearances.

mcveigh fee.png

Paul McVeigh has moved to Watford for £12m.

mcveigh watford.png

We signed him for £20,000. It’s actually ridiculous the money that Premier League clubs spend on these players. We’ve made £22m from 2 young Northern Irish players in the last 7 months!

mcveigh career.png

The board still only put half of that money into the transfer budget, but we went and spent it…

transfers in.png

First up is record signing Diego Silva from Nacional in Uruguay.

silva fee.png

£5.75m is a huge fee for us but we needed a right winger so met his release clause. He was one of the few summer signings who joined us without demanding a minimum release clause in their contract.

silva jun 26.png

Silva also needed a Spanish speaking friend so I signed Miguel Rubiano for £1.9m from Deportivo Cali in Colombia.

Rubiano jJul36.png

His £14m release clause needs to be removed soon or else he’s going to get snapped up.

Next up is Julian Parker from Spurs. He’s young, English, only cost £2.5m and has Premier League potential so it made sense to get him as we needed depth at right-back.

parker jul26.png

Then I put in a speculative bid for 17 year old Danish striker Jesper Madsen.

madsen fee.png

And for some reason he decided to join...

madsen copenhagen.png

… but I didn’t realise it was next summer when he joined! He’s only just turned 17 so to have stats like that is ridiculous but I spent most of my budget on him thinking he’d join us straight away.

So instead I have brought in a familiar face in Rio Corbett.

corbett jul26.png

He was top scorer for us 2 seasons ago but couldn’t get into the Arsenal team so they decided to let him go on the cheap.

corbett career.png

Finally, we also have an official wonderkid at the club in Adie Higginson. His growth has been stunted at Man United but he’ll be the main man for us in defence this season after joining on loan.

higginson.png

After all those signings, we’re still predicted to finish mid-table as the Championship is a very strong league.

prediction 26.png

If the new players gel quickly, then I expect a promotion push but there are so many strong teams in this league. I’m hoping at the very least that we can make it into the playoffs again.

Attachments

• corbett career.png
    corbett career.png
    112.8 KB · Views: 78
That's a really exciting team you've built! Looking forward to how these lads do in the champtionship. How are your finances looking compard to the rest of the league?

Also, you got Mejbri on a free from PSG and you don't even mention him... Is he just there to sell shirts?

That's a really exciting team you've built! Looking forward to how these lads do in the champtionship. How are your finances looking compard to the rest of the league?

Also, you got Mejbri on a free from PSG and you don't even mention him... Is he just there to sell shirts?

Haha I was too focused on the regens! Mejbri is probably one of our best players but we have a lot of good midfielders and attacking midfielders so have been trying him out on the left hand side. 3 assists in 2 games for PSG last season!

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.41.10.png

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.41.24.png

The finances are healthy but we make hardly anything from sponsorship and ticket revenue so are going to keep on losing money if we don't sell players. That'll all change if we get promoted though.

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 21.09.28.png

Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 21.08.06.png

Attachments

• Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.41.24.png
    Screenshot 2020-05-14 at 09.41.24.png
    115 KB · Views: 66
In our first game of the season, we lost away against Crystal Palace who are a good side with good players.

palace 2-0.png

And despite thinking our transfer business was done, it was not!

Right-back Richie Belcher wanted to leave and Everton came in with a bid of £11m.

belcher fee.png

So he has gone.

belcher everton.png

He cost us £13,000 just 18 months ago. Everton have spent £20m on 2 right backs from us in the last 2 transfer windows. How much money do these Premier League clubs have?!

belcher career.png

So as a replacement we triggered the £4.2m release clause for Miroslav Malashevski from Ludogorets.

malashevski aug26.png

We have Thomas Bak at the club who is natural right and left back so seeing Malashevski’s release clause, technical attributes, and potential persuaded me to go for him as a replacement for Belcher.

But after the Crystal Palace result, I was beginning to think that the tactic might need tweaking after a poor end to last season as well as a bad start this time around. However, we dominated our next game against Fulham to ease our fears.

fulham 2-0.png

Diego Silva scored on his debut and ended up getting 4 goals in August.

silva aug26.png

We end August in 6th position, and this season is already starting to have a familiar feel to it.

table aug26.png

Also, we’re finally not spending the least amount of money on player wages in the division.

wage expenditure 26.png

So a decent enough start. We’re going to find out if our policy of investing in youth is going to pay off in the next few months.

After an easy first 2 games in the Carabao Cup, we were drawn against Liverpool in the 3rd round and narrowly lost to them.

liverpool carabao.png

We’ve still not been past the 3rd round of the Carabao Cup or the 4th Round of the FA Cup in this save!

However, we’ve already had our obligatory crazy win of the season against Derby where we smashed them 6-0.

derby 6-0.png

It was the start of a good run of results for us in October, where we won 4 of our 5 matches.

sched oct26.png

And it means that we are top of the Championship by 2 points.

table oct 26.png

The new signings are bedding in nicely. Miguel Rubiano has 2 goals 5 assists and was recently called into the Colombia squad for the first time.

rubiano oct 26.png

And Adie Higginson has been a rock at the back for us and has chipped in with 4 goals already.

higginson oct26.png

Our next few games are favourable but we have a tough run in December, so I’m hoping first choice keeper Alex Bass is back by then.

bass injury 36.png

But for now, everything is looking positive. We look on course to gain promotion to the Premier League!

We continued our good start to the season in November by winning every game we played 1-0.

1-0s 5 in a row.png

It was part of a run that saw us keep 6 consecutive clean sheets, which ended when we lost to Sheffield Wednesday.

6 clean sheets.png

sched dec26.png

After an up and down December, we are still 4 points clear at the top of the league with a game in hand.

table dec26.png

Brandon Cooper has been performing well at centre back this campaign, forming a formidable partnership with Higginson.

cooper dec26.png

He’s wanted by Oxford in the Premier League but I want a quiet January window. However, I said that last year and it turned out to be anything but that…

Unlike last year, January was a quiet month for us with only one new signing.

A few squad players have gone out on loan because they were frustrated with their lack of playing time so we have made a loan signing ourselves to add some depth. Wonderkid Silvio Martorana joins us from Liverpool until the end of the season.

martorana.png

We lost just one game in January but that was against relegation-threatened Fulham.

sched jan 27.png

And it’s very close at the top of the Championship. Burnley and Brentford keep piling the pressure on us.

table jan27.png

Despite it being the end of January, I’m already looking at our April games. We have 3rd placed Burnley, 4th placed Stoke and 2nd placed Brentford consecutively and those games will undoubtedly define our season.

april fixtures.png

We’re also probably going to play Burnley in the 5th round of the FA Cup after wins against Huddersfield and QPR in previous rounds.

huddersfield 3rd.png
qpr 4th.png

It’s the first time in the save we’ve made it past the 4th round.

fa cup 5th round.png

I’m going to be pinning a lot of hope on young striker Trevor Dickson for the remainder of the campaign. He has just 3 goals in the league this season all of which have come in his last 3 matches.

dickson jan27.png

All of his attributes suggest he should be scoring a lot of goals for us and I’m hoping that is the case for the remainder of the season. He’s the last remaining Northern Irish player at the club after the previous two were sold for huge money and signed for just £28,000 last season.

dicksom career 26.png

Our next 5 league matches are against teams between 6th and 12th position in the league, so it will be interesting to see if we can keep up with Burnley and Brentford.

The games have come thick and fast but we’re still managing to hold our own in the Championship.

sched mar 26.png

4 wins in our last 5 means that we are 5 points clear of Burnley in the playoffs with just 8 matches remaining.

table march 26.png

And to add to that, we have made it to the quarter final of the FA Cup after beating Reading in the 5th round.

reading 5th round.png

We could’ve got Chelsea, Man City or Liverpool but will face Norwich City in that match.

fa cup quarter draw.png

They’re in a relegation battle in the Premier League, so we could seriously be in with a shot of going to Wembley!

norwich table.png

We’ll hopefully have a fully fit squad to choose from including right-back Julian Parker, who has been one of our best players since joining from Spurs for £2.5m.

parker march 27.png

Trevor Dickson has finally started to get into the scoring mood after an extended run in the team with 11 goals in 13 matches.

dickson march 27.png

But it is young Colombian midfielder Miguel Rubiano who is the best of the bunch. He averages 7.26 in the Championship and will be key to our promotion push for the remainder of the season.

rubiano mar27.png

However, I’m still looking at those April fixtures as they’re going to decide everything. To have the FA Cup quarter-final and then Burnley, Stoke and Brentford consecutively is going to be excruciating.

april fixtures 27.png

8 games to go, can we get to the FA Cup semi-final? Can we get to the Premier League?

The promotion push was put on hold as we faced Norwich in the FA Cup quarter-final. A place at Wembley was up for grabs so a full strength side was put out.

norwich 4-2.png

Despite going down twice in the match, we managed to pull off a remarkable and deserved result to get to the semi finals of the FA Cup. We’re going to Wembley!

norwich match report.png

But we had to immediately forget about that Norwich game as we had two winnable league matches against Nottingham Forest and Barnsley before our run against Burnley, Brentford and Stoke.

nottingham forest 2-0.png
barnsley 2-0.png

I also didn't realise Brentford and Burnley played one another during that time and a 0-0 was a perfect result for us.

brentford burnley 0-0.png

It meant that with just 4 Championship games remaining we were 6 points clear with goal difference also on our side.

table 42 2027.png

So it was down to the dreaded 3 games I had been thinking about since January.

run in.png

Only this time we had the added bonus of an FA Cup semi-final against Villa, who are 12th in the Premier League.

sched april 27.png

villa semifinal.png

First up for us was an away trip to Turf Moor to play 2nd placed Burnley.

burnley 1-1.png
table 43 2027.png

A draw was more than fine and also meant that out of nowhere Stoke entered the automatic promotion zone.

The very same Stoke who we played 3 days later where a win for us would confirm promotion to the Premier League.

stoke 2-0.png

Job done. Altrincham are promoted to the Premier League!

promoted.png

Now for an FA Cup semi-final and to win the Championship outright!

table 44.png

villa fa cup.png

Attachments

• table 40 2027.png
    table 40 2027.png
    46.9 KB · Views: 65
  • villa fa cup.png
    villa fa cup.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 62
  • villa fa cup.png
    villa fa cup.png
    131.1 KB · Views: 66