Altrincham F.C. - Mission: Champions League

Gutting to see you getting relegated but if you can hold onto your players then you should be able to strengthen and then come straight backup and avoid relegation next time

Shame to see you get relegated. Were you still playing a 4-2-3-1 or change the formation?

Unlucky first season relegation but you've done incredible job so far, the finances from just being in the EPL for one season plus the parachute payment should really help you kick on next season hopefully and get back up first time of asking. Relegation is tough but this might just let you build a better club for the seasons ahead. Also, enjoying reading the layout you've got makes it more appealing to read :)

Gutting to see you getting relegated but if you can hold onto your players then you should be able to strengthen and then come straight backup and avoid relegation next time

Shame to see you get relegated. Were you still playing a 4-2-3-1 or change the formation?

Unlucky first season relegation but you've done incredible job so far, the finances from just being in the EPL for one season plus the parachute payment should really help you kick on next season hopefully and get back up first time of asking. Relegation is tough but this might just let you build a better club for the seasons ahead. Also, enjoying reading the layout you've got makes it more appealing to read :)

Got a big summer ahead, especially because of the number of relegation release clauses that we have so we'll see. For most of the season I played with a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3 mainly because we lacked depth at centre back so I was hesitant to switch to a back 5. I've learned my lesson, so next time we get promoted I want to make sure we have 3 or 4 quality centre backs in the squad in case I need to change things up

We actually won our final 2 away games but ended up finishing 19th in our first season in the Premier League.

table end 27:28.png

We were just 6 points away from survival and I believe relegation was down to 7 things.

1. Inexperience
The average age of the squad was 23. There were just 13 Premier League appearances between the whole squad at the start of the season and in the end it showed.

average age.png

2. Ground Sharing
We shared Bolton’s ground for home matches. It was great in terms of matchday revenue, but it will be even greater to be at our new stadium next season although the opening has been delayed until October.

new stadium delayed.png

3. Set Pieces
We conceded 12 from indirect free kicks and 6 from corners. I tried man marking, zonal marking, set-piece training before every game and nothing worked.

set pieces 1.png

set piecs 2.png

set pieces 3.png

set pieces 4.png

4. Morale
As soon as you lose a few on the spin, the whole squad is devastated and it’s hard for it to recover.

morale.png

5. The Financial Disparity
To be frank, we’re just not a Premier League club yet. The sponsorship money and our wage expenditure is nowhere near our competitors and it meant we could only sign promising young players on the cheap.

sponshorship income.png

wages to turnover.png

6. Underperforming Signings
Having said that, our new signings Carrasco (avg. of 6.64) and Chapanga (avg. of 6.74) underperformed this season. Carrasco in particular was a disappointment as I thought he was the real deal when he came in

carrasco may28.png

chpanga may28.png

7. Players not being good enough
It’s harsh but true. Most of our squad wouldn't get into a lower half Premier League side but they are young and will be much better when we next enter the Premier League. I love Zac Fyatt, as he has been with us since League One, but he should not be appearing in 33 of our 38 games.

fryatt may28.png

2027/28 Squad

squad view 1.png

squad view 2.png

Trevor Dickson was our player of the season by a mile. He was also the golden boot winner with 18 Premier League goals.

dickson top scorer eos.png

dickson may28.png

He is one of many players with a relegation release clause and his stands at £36m

release clauses.png

Dickson along with Predrag Djuric (release clause of £39m) and Miguel Rubiano (release clause of £36m) are players which I really do not want to leave as they are the only 3 who are Premier League quality in the squad.

djuric jun28.png

rubiano may28.png

But if they do leave, 100% of funds from transfers go to our already sizable budget of £38m.

budgets may28.png

At the very least we’re in a very healthy financial position.

profit prem league.png

money in bank.png

And we’ve started to get some quality players in our youth intakes. The best is Julian Cupid, who looks like a potential Premier League player.

cupid youth intake.png

We’re ignoring every job offer that comes our way to concentrate on Altrincham. That includes Liverpool!

liverpool job offer.png

And so another crazy summer is ahead of us. I have no idea how many players will be leaving or coming in for that matter. But we need to get promoted back to the Premier League at the first attempt.

So we’re back in the Championship after a fleeting visit to the Premier League and a lot has happened in terms of transfers. We’ve made £80m in sales, mostly because of relegation release clauses.

transfers out.png

Firstly, the top scorer in the Premier League last season has joined newly-promoted Blackburn for £36m. I was expecting Trevor Dickson to leave, but not in order to go to Blackburn.

dickson blackburn.png

dickson blackburn career.png

Elsewhere, Hannibal Mejbri has joined Brighton for £18.5m

mjrabi brighton.png

mjrabi brighton career.png

Chay Cooper has joined Luton for £12.5m. It seems an odd transfer but Luton were actually promoted to the Premier League last season.

cooper luton.png

cooper career 28.png

Finally, Villa have triggered the £10m relegation release clause of Frano Bronic.

bronic villa.png

bronic career.png

Transfers In - £58m spent

We’ve gone all out on youth and there are just 4 players over the age of 24 in the squad.

transfers in.png

The first player in was Eder Claveria from Colo Colo in Chile for £6.25m.

claveria.png

We then bought two young South American strikers, Colombian William Murillo for £1.6m and Brazillian Thiago Ryan for £10.5m.

murilllo.png

thiago ryan.png

Then I decided to get some home grown talent. Firstly we spent £15m on Luke Wordsworth from Charlton.

wordsworth.png

wordsworth career.png

The excellently named Pierpaolo Buonocore came in for £11m from Arsenal and I am training him to be a right back.

buonocore.png

And, after two seasons on loan, Adie Higginson has joined us permanently for £11.75m

higginson permanent.png

higginson career 28.png

The final signing was Pascual Rodriguez on loan from Barcelona. He was with us for the final part of last season and should be one of the best defenders in the division.

rodriguez jul28.png

It still means we have a huge amount to spend, but I’m happy with the makeup of the squad. Our finances are going from strength to strength, especially as we’re getting £41m in parachute payments.

parachute payments.png

We’re predicted to finish third, but automatic promotion is the minimum I want from this season.

season preview 28:29.png

And I have decided to go with a more attacking formation this season. We’ve normally played a 4-3-3 but we’re going with two strikers this campaign.

formation jul28.png

Right then, let’s get promoted!

£41m parachute payment!!

I'll let you know how long it takes me to hit £41m in income nevermind 1 payment ha!

Good rebuild tough losing players but sometimes actually makes the club stronger, hopefully you can kick on again back up.

£41m parachute payment!!

I'll let you know how long it takes me to hit £41m in income nevermind 1 payment ha!

Good rebuild tough losing players but sometimes actually makes the club stronger, hopefully you can kick on again back up.

I remember being happy selling players for £250,000 so to get £41m for essentially doing nothing is great!

We’re 6 games into the Championship season and top of the league.

table aug28.png

Results have been emphatic and we’ve already scored 4 goals in 3 matches this season.

sched aug28.png

It was all going well. Too well... So then Real Madrid came in for Miguel Rubiano.

He’s our best player but if you’re a 21 year old Colombian do you want to be playing Championship football for Altrincham or for Real Madrid?

rubiano real.png

The Spanish giants paid us a record £55m for him after we paid £1.9m 2 years ago.

rubiano career.png

We had no time to get a replacement so will have to wait until January, but because the attacking 4-4-2 is working a treat we don’t need that many central midfielders anyway.

It means that we recuperated £143m in sales in the transfer window, which is ridiculous.

sales 143m.png

And have £161m in the bank!

bank 28.png

We have the funds, but finding the right players is going to be tricky. Our wage expenditure is the 10th highest in the Championship so we’re slowly becoming a top club off the field too rather than continually punching above our weight.

wage expenditure 28.png

Back to events on the field, and our explosive start to the season has been because of Jesper Madsen and Zac Fryatt.

madsen and fryatt.png

They’re top scorers in the division and Madsen recently signed a new contract which contains a £66m release clause.

madsen aug28.png

Fryatt has 4 goals and 3 assists in the league in 6 matches.

fryatt aug28.png

He is in his 6th season at the club and has seen it all. He’s got to be our greatest transfer in terms of what he’s done for the club and he was free!

fryatt career aug28.png

Despite the sale of Rubiano, I fully expect to be around the top of the table for the remainder of the season.

All going well which is good to see. That's a good profit there in that sale as well. The balance will at least help with getting a bigger transfer budget when you get promoted again

All going well which is good to see. That's a good profit there in that sale as well. The balance will at least help with getting a bigger transfer budget when you get promoted again

Yeah, to be honest I expect to get promoted but I'm struggling to find players in their prime for us to sign even for next season. At the moment the best transfer policy seems to be buying future stars but that only gets you so far so will be interesting to see how we do

We’re now halfway through the season and are top of the Championship by 5 points.

table dec28.png

Our recent form has been a bit sketchy with home losses to Oxford and Huddersfield but when we win - we win by a lot.

sched dec28.png

Our players are dominating the individual stats with our striker partnership of Madsen and Thiago Ryan the top 2 scores in the league.

individual stats 28.png

Thiago Ryan has 14 in 19 and looks to be worth every penny of the £10.5m we paid for him in the summer.

thiago ryan dec28.png

We’ve also finally moved into our new stadium, which has gone under the radar. The capacity can be expanded to 31,000 in the future but for now I just want to play in our own actual ground!

new stad complete.png

In our first match at the 15,909 capacity all-seater stadium, we beat Portsmouth 3-0.

portsmouth 3-0.png

Young striker Murillo has the honour of being the first person to score at the Mark Maddox Arena.

murillo dec28.png

So it’s all going well so far but 7 of our players are wanted by Premier League clubs. If release clauses are still active then we may see some players leaving the club in January.

The January transfer window has been and gone and we have made 2 new signings whilst our first choice keeper has left to be back up in the Premier League.

First in was Michele Moresco for £4.5m from Juventus. He is the replacement for Rubiano (who left for Real Madrid in the summer) and was not quite good enough to break into the Juve side but is more than good enough for us.

MORESCO jan29.png

Next up was young left-back Julián Córdoba for £1.7m. He has 6 months to settle with us in the Championship and I’m hoping he kicks on and becomes our first-choice left-back for years to come.

cordoba jan29.png

The one outgoing transfer was that of first choice keeper James Potts to Everton for £12m.

potts everton.png

Despite being our number 1 he was not going to be our long term Premier League goalkeeper so I was not too concerned about selling him.

potts career 29.png

Alex Bass is more than good enough to capatilise for him as he was our keeper when we last got promoted from the Championship. We just need to hope he doesn’t get injured...

bass jan29.png

The decision not to bring in another keeper was partly influenced by the fact that we are 11 points clear at the top of the Championship.

table jan29.png

We went on a 9 game winning run which propelled us to the top of the division and, with 15 games remaining, we should be returning to the Premier League next year.

sched jan29.png

We also beat 2 Premier League sides in the FA Cup in Burnley and West Ham. We face Championship side Reading in the 5th round.

burnley fa cup.png
west ham fa cup.png

Our players are still utterly dominating the individual stats in the Championship. We’re leaky defensively but Madsen, Fryatt and Thiago Ryan are the top 3 scorers in the league and Murillo isn’t far behind on 12 goals.

player stats jan 29.png

A special mention has to go to midfielder Felix Baker as he has 14 assists so far.

baker jan29.png

He is finally starting to play up to his potential having signed for us for £50,000 from Crusaders 5 years ago.

baker career29.png

The only thing stopping us from promotion back to the Premier League will be a goalkeeper injury crisis!

Remember Julian Cordoba - the left back we signed in January? Apparently I promised I’d strengthen the team to him.

cordoba wants to leave.png

Literally 10 days after signing, he wanted to leave. So we had another conversation.

cordoba defo wants to leave.png

Looks like he’ll be leaving without ever playing for us then. Ridiculous!

In other news, we reached 500 games in charge of Altrincham.

500 games.png

Yet only a few games later we were losing to Reading in the 5th round of the FA Cup.

reading 1-0 fa cup.png

It’s annoying because they’re a mid table Championship side, and we’re top of the division by 10 points with 9 matches remaining

Table feb29.png

I’ve banged on a lot about individual stats this season but our goalscoring has been something else. We literally have the top 4 scorers in the league!

top 4 scorers.png

We have 97 goals and the next best has 66.

most team goals.png

And 8 out of the 10 players with the highest average rating in the Championship play for Altrincham. The domination is ridiculous!

average ratings feb29.png

It’s only a matter of time until promotion back to the Premier League is confirmed.

Slowly but surely we’ve been improving the youth facilities in the last few years and it looks to be paying off.

youth facilities.png

We’ve had 2 decent looking players come through this year. I'm completely ignoring the star ratings because I believe these 2 players could break into the first team one day if they progress well.

bolton youth intake.png

baxter youth intake.png

We also sold someone from our academy, Kuma Hall, for £1.5m to Fulham in January when he didn’t look that impressive.

hall fluham.png

Hall career.png

Back in the present, our promotion back to the Premier League was clinched with 4 games to spare and our second Championship title in 3 years was claimed 2 games later.

championship winners.png

championship winners table.png

Birmingham completely bottled their last two games so it will be Nottingham Forest that go up alongside us. It’s great for them to be back in the Premier League but it also ruins our plans of buying some of their promising young players.

final table 2029.png

I decided to go with a gegen pressing system for the last few games of the season but it didn’t really impress me. Tactics have never been my strong suit, but an attacking 4-4-2 probably isn't the way to go next year in the Premier League so we’re going into next season without really knowing what system or formation to play.

tactic mar29.png

A full recap of our season will follow before we take on the Premier League… again!

Attachments

• baxter youth intake.png
    baxter youth intake.png
    207.2 KB · Views: 64
How did you deal with Julian Cordoba in the end?

How did you deal with Julian Cordoba in the end?

He is sitting in the under 23s and I plan to sell him this summer. We signed him for £1.7m so I wasn’t bothered about how much we got for him as long as it was for a profit.

Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 12.10.44.png

I did accept a bid of £2.5m plus 50% of his next sale from Eibar but the board blocked it.

Screenshot 2020-06-09 at 19.23.59.png

Stoke will join us and Nottingham Forest in the Premier League next season after beating Fulham in the playoff final.

fin championship table 29.png

Our growing status as a club was signalled by the fact that sponsorship income increased by £12m compared to the previous year.

sponsorship income.png

And next season we will once again be playing at Bolton’s ground as the board want to expand the stadium, which I agree with as it only holds 15,000.

stadium expansion 29.png

It was an important season for our young squad, mainly because it gave them a year to improve as players in preparation for the Premier League.

squad view 29.png

Zac Fryatt won Championship player of the year, which was no surprise given the fact he scored 17 goals and got 16 assists.

fryatt poty.png

It was a remarkable return for someone in his 6th season at the club.

fryatt career may29.png

Thiago Ryan was named the top scorer in the Championship with 27 goals.

thiago ryan top scorer.png

thiago ryan may29.png

He was accompanied by Fryatt, Madsen and Murillo who all scored over 16 league goals in a dominating year for us attacking wise.

top scorers championship 29.png

We scored 111 league goals and, after complaining about corners and indirect free kicks last season, this time around we scored the most and conceded the least. It’s going to wind me up if we start conceding from set pieces frequently in the Premier League again…

corner goals 29.png

indirect freekick goals 29.png

conceded from ifks 29.png

8 Altrincham players were named in the Championship Team of the Year. Higginson and Silva were named in it two seasons ago when we were promoted for the first time.

toty 29.png

And the board gave us £40m to spend in the summer. I’ve already made transfers worth £60m with the payments spread over a few years.

budgets 29.png

Hopefully there are also more signings to come. We can’t get relegated from the Premier League again!