Am I the only player who uses 1 tactic?

barakus

Reaction score
I only use 1 tactic and no shouts, game in game out...to what i believe to reasonable success (1 title, 1 play-off promotion an 1 play-off spot). All with a team thats favorites for relegation each season.

The general consensus is that you need to change tactics more or less every game, an use shouts strategically in match to gain the upper-hand. Although this is more logical, an makes more sense...Ive always chose to concentrate on my own team rather than the opposition's.
Now this is completely true...ive NEVER made a shout, never liked them since LMA manager lol, but did like hearing "Everybody forward" or "Get back" in multiple languages.

Im not saying this is the better option, the forum is full of players struggling with the game..this is just about the thread title:
Am I the only player who uses one tactic, to reasonable success?

Just would like to now if there were others

No. I'm using Zero Sea's tactic from this forum. Its the ONLY tactic I've used across several saves for about 20 seasons game time. If FM ever does become completely about changing tactics etc for every match then I'll stop playing it, not how I like to play the game I'm afraid

What tactic are you using anyway?

No. I'm using Zero Sea's tactic from this forum. Its the ONLY tactic I've used across several saves for about 20 seasons game time. If FM ever does become completely about changing tactics etc for every match then I'll stop playing it, not how I like to play the game I'm afraid

same here, i like sticking to one tactic and no messing around... only problem is i aint found a tactic that is sufficient... just downloaded a new tactic and see how it goes....

I have three that I rotate between depending on club/players but I do generally stick to that one once I've figured out which is most effective for the given team.
Shouts I do use though, they can really change the result of a game in your favor if you watch what's happening in game.

Im using my own tactic, im not into downloading tactics..i find it more rewarding if an when something good happens.
But basically 4-1-3-1-1, with tweeks from watching the matches.
Im like yourself an rammie..I would probs stop playing if I had to change every game..but i would for sure try my damdest to still figure out a tactic where i could just sit back an play without messing about with cosmetic things lol

Ive made three but only really use 2, third is a back up if im ever really struggling. The press slate me if i lose and have changed my tactics lol

Im using my own tactic, im not into downloading tactics..i find it more rewarding if an when something good happens.
But basically 4-1-3-1-1, with tweeks from watching the matches.
Im like yourself an rammie..I would probs stop playing if I had to change every game..but i would for sure try my damdest to still figure out a tactic where i could just sit back an play without messing about with cosmetic things lol

You dont use shouts but you make changes during games its pretty much the same sort of idea...

I do believe you're playing the game the right way tho the advice Iv been giving to every single person who asks for help has been:

= Watch your matches on extended at least and on comprehensive or full if you are in a rough patch or making a new tactic...
= Make changes during the game to counter the computer and boost your teams performance...

I think you will agree its pretty simple stuff if you know anything about football... I think if you dont want to make any changes you will need to build a great side and tweak every position until guys perform at their very very best... Iv managed to do that for a couple of positions but every now and again a team keeps them quite...

Good work all the same I kind of prefer the more hands on style myself...

I only use 1 tactic and no shouts, game in game out...to what i believe to reasonable success (1 title, 1 play-off promotion an 1 play-off spot). All with a team thats favorites for relegation each season.

The general consensus is that you need to change tactics more or less every game, an use shouts strategically in match to gain the upper-hand. Although this is more logical, an makes more sense...Ive always chose to concentrate on my own team rather than the opposition's.
Now this is completely true...ive NEVER made a shout, never liked them since LMA manager lol, but did like hearing "Everybody forward" or "Get back" in multiple languages.

Im not saying this is the better option, the forum is full of players struggling with the game..this is just about the thread title:
Am I the only player who uses one tactic, to reasonable success?

Just would like to now if there were others

Im not sure where that general consensus is. You dont need to change a tactic every game, but sometimes you will need to adapt. How much so depends on the strengths and weaknesses of your side and the oppo, and you management. More than one way to skin a cat.

Im in 2020/21, used the same 4-2-3-1 since i started, no shouts and have bagged myself every trophy i can win on more than once occasion.

Last edited:
I like to find some tactic that works, have style i want to play somehow. But since i am playing for little schizophrenic teams, that tactic should be something.

I like to see what others are using, but frankly - i have problems with implementing some of them, because team is not built towards that at first - and i am not in financial position to adjust team to the tactic. Maybe later on - i got several good seasons with my current tactic and there are still options i want to try out.

I usually start with the same tactic. But if I feel like the midfield is getting away from me or I want to be a bit more controllign and defensive I switch to a 4-3-2-1 with a 3 man midfield.

Don't use shouts. Rather pause the game and go in and tweak the tactics myself.

You dont use shouts but you make changes during games its pretty much the same sort of idea...

I do believe you're playing the game the right way tho the advice Iv been giving to every single person who asks for help has been:

= Watch your matches on extended at least and on comprehensive or full if you are in a rough patch or making a new tactic...
= Make changes during the game to counter the computer and boost your teams performance...

I think you will agree its pretty simple stuff if you know anything about football... I think if you dont want to make any changes you will need to build a great side and tweak every position until guys perform at their very very best... Iv managed to do that for a couple of positions but every now and again a team keeps them quite...

Good work all the same I kind of prefer the more hands on style myself...

thanks
the only changes i make during games is subs
what i meant by tweaking from watching the matches was like...the first tweak i made was setting WB's to FB's, when i realised there was too much space for their wide players.
the 2nd was pushed my defensive-line back a little after my defense was too easily being bipassed by thru-balls.
changed DM to anchor, an found anchor was better suited to my formation n style of play...an so on :)

I made changes to my tactic over the first 10-15 games, but never in match..only before.
I stick with hope to the final whistle, an keep faith that my tactic and players + subs will pull through...an they quite often do :)

Oh yeah..I always watch games on extended. Good advice!

Last edited:
Im not sure where that general consensus is. You dont need to change a tactic every game, but sometimes you will need to adapt. How much so depends on the strengths and weaknesses of your side and the oppo, and you management. More than one way to skin a cat.

lol..I just re-read your reply....like yourself an almost all helpers."The general consensus" say that you need to adapt, or do shouts or change tactics in certain situations..
I dont however ever! but thanks for the tip, because it is a good an validated one!

Last edited:
lol..I just re-read your reply....like yourself an almost all helpers."The general consensus" say that you need to adapt, or do shouts or change tactics in certain situations..
I dont however ever! but thanks for the tip, because it is a good an validated one!

If you have a strong set up and the right players for it, you will go a fair way. The adaptations come in for if/when the situation arises that your current setup is compromised. If it doesnt happen, dont change. Personally i like having 3 different set up so i can always project my type of play on any team, and also to make sure all my players get game time. This isn't the only way to play, it just happens to be my way.

Your way is also totally sound, you have watched for weaknesses, adapted outside the matches, and in match you trust your players to do the job, and given the way you mention subs, seems you do adapt to the opposition, only rather than changing tactics, you simply change player. And it works for you well enough and often enough to not have another way, and that is fine. One of the best tacticians in FM only had one set up, and relied on his players to change the game. he also got his side playing some of the best football i've ever seen in FM.

I think people take things quite literally in this game, when actually a lot of advice is in context.

Last edited:
One of the best tacticians in FM only had one set up, and relied on his players to change the game. he also got his side playing some of the best football i've seen in FM.

Oh stop it, you. You're making me blush.

You wish I was talking about you :p

I was referring to the late SFraser

Considering your knowledge of tactics, I'm GLAD you're not talking about me. :p

SFraser was just a bit of a freak when it came to tactics in FM. Quickest way to understand just about anything is to read the stuff he wrote, which is even now (two or three iterations on) still so relevant and informative. He knew everything about the ME inside out, and much of it still holds true.

As a side note, I actually waver between using only one tactic and using three. In my Napoli file, I'm comfortable enough in my range of players and overall balance of the side that I can make subtle changes just by using substitutes and the occasional shout or manual tweak. In my Villa file I'm using all three slots, alternating between one standard setup, one widened standard setup, and one attacking setup.

Considering your knowledge of tactics, I'm GLAD you're not talking about me. :p

SFraser was just a bit of a freak when it came to tactics in FM. Quickest way to understand just about anything is to read the stuff he wrote, which is even now (two or three iterations on) still so relevant and informative. He knew everything about the ME inside out, and much of it still holds true.

As a side note, I actually waver between using only one tactic and using three. In my Napoli file, I'm comfortable enough in my range of players and overall balance of the side that I can make subtle changes just by using substitutes and the occasional shout or manual tweak. In my Villa file I'm using all three slots, alternating between one standard setup, one widened standard setup, and one attacking setup.

Aye he wasn't just interesting in getting his team to play football, but to play the best football possible. In fact, going to re-read his stuff now.

See that's what people dont get, advice isnt a hard and fast rule, its a guide. I'm baffled as to why so many people take it literally, especially when football itself isnt full of that many hard and fast rules.

I made changes to my tactic over the first 10-15 games, but never in match..only before.
I stick with hope to the final whistle, an keep faith that my tactic and players + subs will pull through...an they quite often do :)

Oh yeah..I always watch games on extended. Good advice!

Thats interesting I always consider it like a pre-emptive strike the way I play I make early changes during the match if things arnt going my way...
I like to think Im very good at noticing things during the game and recognising issues early before they become a problem... I use to watch my matches in 2D Classic but this year I watch it in 3D and I dont know why but for some reason it makes things so much easier for me to analyse the game...

Thats interesting I always consider it like a pre-emptive strike the way I play I make early changes during the match if things arnt going my way...
I like to think Im very good at noticing things during the game and recognising issues early before they become a problem... I use to watch my matches in 2D Classic but this year I watch it in 3D and I dont know why but for some reason it makes things so much easier for me to analyse the game...

yeah 3d the way to go, although you see ME problems more you see how your tactic works..or not works.
Never liked 2d, made me tired all them dots. The 3d ME has definitely helped me understand some of the somewhat dodgy commentary from the early champ managers :) I used to love the commentary after a smoke, I had a 3D ME running in my head, but now i can see the commentary an the match...well the commentary doesnt actually reveal what is happening to well.