AMAZING 4-4-2 COUNTER TACTIC YOU'VE BEEN DREAMING ABOUT!

RealLife

Reaction score
I have created this extremely realistic 4-4-2 counter attacking tactic based on my knowledge for this beautiful sport. Inspired by teams like Atletico Madrid and Leicester who can win games with 30-40% possession of the ball each game, thats what i like!
My mindset is to make sure all my players are close to each other to make the team compact without the ball. My opposition instructions are made so that i force my opponent to play on the wings where we win the ball and then counter attack on open spaces.

IMPORTANT: The original tactic i created is for left footed wingers. So one can cut inside and the otherone run down the flanks. I have also created a mirror tactic if your wingers are right footed. I prefer to have either right footed wingers or left footed wingers, not both.

You will find everything you'll need in the picture and link below.
View attachment 88376
View attachment 88375
View attachment 88374
View attachment 88373
View attachment 88372

link to tactic (recommended for left-footed wingers): https://www.mediafire.com/?ghcly11p3vldd5u
link to mirror tactic (recommended for right-footed wingers) : https://www.mediafire.com/?zw9v4y9rt8si091

Actually I am also working on a counter 442, good luck with this one!

Not questioning your tactic per se, but conceding that many shots isnt a very good sign. Eventually the opposition will score and the tactic basically relies on your GK to be amazing?

Not questioning your tactic per se, but conceding that many shots isnt a very good sign. Eventually the opposition will score and the tactic basically relies on your GK to be amazing?

It does not mean anything, 'team can shoot 100 times if it only frames 7 times it will never score more, it has to frame 5 times and the real 7 difference is not huge, then the real is still good Superior to villareal
With villareal I just won 3-2 against the barca with this tactic

If you look closer at the statistic vs Real Madrid Away, i had 3 clear cut chances and they had 0. That means that they couldn't break my defence and play how they wanted to play. In other words i controlled the game and forced them to shot from distance. 83% of my shots were on target while real madrid only had 26% of their shots on target.

Just move the two strikes to SS position and you are golden, great formation but Shadow striker is the way to go this year.
Thx for sharing, great tactic, just needed a little tweak

If you look closer at the statistic vs Real Madrid Away, i had 3 clear cut chances and they had 0. That means that they couldn't break my defence and play how they wanted to play. In other words i controlled the game and forced them to shot from distance. 83% of my shots were on target while real madrid only had 26% of their shots on target.
Great answer, cheers! Will try this for sure.

Have to say its been pretty decent for me. Using it on my Hampton & Richmond save, Conference South. We were in poor form and I plugged this in to give it a try and apart from the first game where we got hammered, although I think that was because I didn't quite get my player selection right, its been very good. Bar one or two blips against sides in and around me, its been extremely effective.

Been using it for 13 games. 9 Wins, 3 losses & 1 draw. Scored 23, Conceded 11. We created 23 chances and only faced 12 which is fascinating because it means we scored with every chances we created and the opposition nearly did too, its just that we created far more.

I should also mention that I've had rotten luck with injuries in those 13 games. Lost my captain and colossus at CB(st) and my creator supreme DLF(s) which hasn't helped. But this tactic did drag us from a disappointing midtable into 4th and the play-offs which was my target at the start of the new season.

So, not an exploit tactic, but really enjoyable football to play. thumbs up from me.

Let me know if you'd like any more info about my experiences with this cool tactic.

Have to say its been pretty decent for me. Using it on my Hampton & Richmond save, Conference South. We were in poor form and I plugged this in to give it a try and apart from the first game where we got hammered, although I think that was because I didn't quite get my player selection right, its been very good. Bar one or two blips against sides in and around me, its been extremely effective.

Been using it for 13 games. 9 Wins, 3 losses & 1 draw. Scored 23, Conceded 11. We created 23 chances and only faced 12 which is fascinating because it means we scored with every chances we created and the opposition nearly did too, its just that we created far more.

I should also mention that I've had rotten luck with injuries in those 13 games. Lost my captain and colossus at CB(st) and my creator supreme DLF(s) which hasn't helped. But this tactic did drag us from a disappointing midtable into 4th and the play-offs which was my target at the start of the new season.

So, not an exploit tactic, but really enjoyable football to play. thumbs up from me.

Let me know if you'd like any more info about my experiences with this cool tactic.

Show Us some screenshots after the season;) can't wait to test it myself(on two weeks holidays without laptop)

I'd be happy to upload some screenshots.

One thing I did forget to say is that the only real tweak I made very occasionally is to raise my defensive line by one notch. I did this very rarely because the DL seems to work straight out of the box.

Basically if you find your defenders getting pushed so close to their own goal that the opposition are knocking it around on the edge of your box then push up your DL because its too low. I never had the need to lower my DL, teams never got behind me even when they had the pace advantage.

Could you describe the roles of the winger and the wide midfielder? Is the left winger suppose to hug the line? Is it important that he DOESNT cut inside? What about the wide midfielder? What do they do?

Could you describe the roles of the winger and the wide midfielder? Is the left winger suppose to hug the line? Is it important that he DOESNT cut inside? What about the wide midfielder? What do they do?

The left winger attacks the Right Fullback and Right Sided Centre Half. He'll cross when the cross is on but he will cut it back or combine with the DLF if its not. Pretty standard Winger really. I didn't notice that much crossing from deep, behaves much more like a W(a) but plays defensively very secure like a W(s), so best of both worlds I guess.

The Right sided winger playing on WM(a) scores a lot of goals for me. Can go wide and cross but prefers to combine with the attacking fullback for overlaps. So many times my RM would be loitering on the corner of the box perfectly positioned for clearances or cutbacks or passes. If you can get someone with a good Long Shots attribute then you're in really good shape as they'll be in excellent scoring positions.

I hope this works.

Two pre season games in with Fulham and im getting smashed into pieces by the opp (0-2 against Lierse and 0-5 Zaragoza). Horrible ratings for each and every player.

Okay here are the pics of my Hampton & Richmond team using this tactic. My PPG was 2.15 from 13 games. Played out across a whole season would have given me 90 points, which would have been more than enough to win the division.

GENERAL SQUAD INFORMATION

View attachment 88319
View attachment 88305
View attachment 88306
After the red line is when I started using the tactic.
View attachment 88309
View attachment 88308
The red circle indicates when I started using the tactic.
View attachment 88307

BEST PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS

WORST PERFORMANCE ANALYSIS

Last edited:
I hope this works.

Two pre season games in with Fulham and im getting smashed into pieces by the opp (0-2 against Lierse and 0-5 Zaragoza). Horrible ratings for each and every player.

First of all you need your tactical familiarity to max out or at least get to Accomplished.

Secondly are you absolutely sure you've selected the right players into the right spots?

I've found that the CD(st) has to be very strong and very aggressive. Look for a player with Strength, Aggression, Bravery, Determination and Workrate, as well as Positioning, Anticipation & Concentration. Heading & Tackling are obviously going to be vital as well.

Your second defender can just be bog standard although if they've got a little bit of pace wouldn't hurt.

Your attacking fullback needs good Positioning and Teamwork to be able to get back into position when the ball is lost.

If you're using the version where the winger plays on the left then you're going to need both wide players to be Left footed or at least very strong with their Left foot. Visa versa, if you're winger is on the right then both players need to be right footed.

Your CM(d) is incredibly important. My choice here had a massive impact on my overall performance. Choose someone with the attributes of a CB(d). They need to be disciplined and tough. A playmaker, ball winning midfielder or regular central midfielder is not going to be good enough.

Lastly your forwards. Its crucial that your DLP can hold up the ball, they make the entire attacking part of the system work. They don't have to have great dribbling or finishing, they just have to be able to hold the ball up and find a teammate with it. You're looking for someone Strong, with good Agility, Passing, Off The Ball, Vision, Decisions, Concentration & Anticipation.

Your poacher needs to be quick, with a good first touch and obviously good finishing and composure.

Also bare in mind what I said, if the opposition are camping around your box then your Defensive Line is too low, you'll need to go into Team Instructions and raise it by one notch. If you're getting hit on the break then I'd look at the Determination & Work Rate of your support players, it may just be that they lack the mentality to get back into position when you've lost the ball.

Last edited:
I hope this works.

Additional:

My first game with this tactic gave me the following Player Ratings:

Not great at all. But things got better quickly.

Thanks Marco, appreciate your input. A lot of what youve written are things I had no idea about and wished would have been included in the OP.

My line up is as follwing (right winger version)

Gk Bettinelli

Rb Odoi/Kalas
Cb (d) Sigurdsson
CB (s) Ream/Kalas
Vb Ream/Malone

W Ayite
Cm (s) McDonald
Cm (d) Johansen/Parker
Wm Cariney

DL Martin/Kebano
P Wells

Wells is as we all know a beast in this game and he loves this tactic. 16 goals in 14 games where 5 of them were all in the same match.

My top ratings:
Wells 14 games 16 goals 7.56
Ayité 13 hames 3 goals 3 assist 7.26
Cairney 9 games 2 goals 3 assisy 7.24
Kebano 10 games 1 goal 7 assist 7.14

Majority of my players ratings are all below 7.00.

Currently sitting 9th i the Championship after 12 games. 5 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses. 21 goals scoed, 17 conceded...

Looking at the OP again and his Villarreal team clearly isnt what you describe that the tactic needs, Marco.

His Cb stopper is Musacchio. His attributes are 17 aggression, 13 strength, 15 heading, 12 jumping. Solid attributes but deffo not "very strong".

His Cm d is Tiago. Deffo not a cb-like player by any means. 12 heading, 12 tackling, 12 strength, 13 work rate.

His DLF is Sansone. 8 (!) in strength, 12 vision, 13passing,

What gives?

Thanks Marco, appreciate your input. A lot of what youve written are things I had no idea about and wished would have been included in the OP.

My line up is as follwing (right winger version)

Gk Bettinelli

Rb Odoi/Kalas
Cb (d) Sigurdsson
CB (s) Ream/Kalas
Vb Ream/Malone

W Ayite
Cm (s) McDonald
Cm (d) Johansen/Parker
Wm Cariney

DL Martin/Kebano
P Wells

Wells is as we all know a beast in this game and he loves this tactic. 16 goals in 14 games where 5 of them were all in the same match.
My top ratings:
Wells 14 games 16 goals 7.56
Ayité 13 hames 3 goals 3 assist 7.26
Cairney 9 games 2 goals 3 assisy 7.24
Kebano 10 games 1 goal 7 assist 7.14

Majority of my players ratings are all below 7.00.

Currently sitting 9th i the Championship after 12 games. 5 wins, 4 draws and 3 losses. 21 goals scoed, 17 conceded...

On first glances I'd say your CD(st) isn't aggressive enough. He needs spot danger early and deal with it. Ream has Heading (12), Aggression (12), Bravery (13), Anticipation (12), Jumping (12). Kalas' mentals are better but his heading is (11) and his Technique is (11) which means he'll spot the danger, probably get there but may not deal with it effectively. That's going to be a problem. If you may also find that their positioning is sometimes a bit off, this is because their Positoning attribute is quite low for a CB (13) & (11) respectively.

Your winger Ayite looks a bit defensively suspect. Remember you're playing 4-4-2, you don't have a DM, you're going to need midfield players who are willing to scrap and get back as well as attack. The main things that worry me about him are his low Teamwork (8), this means when a teammate needs support he won't be inclined to lend a hand. His Passing and Vision are also a bit low (12 and (12). If you find that he gets onto the ball fine, gets up the pitch into good positions fine but then doesn't do the right thing with it then this may be why. If you find that defensively you're getting exposed down that flank then it may be because of his low Teamwork.

Personally, I wouldn't be able to make Johanson or Parker work in the CM(d) as they're not the wall that I need. My CM(d) acts like an advanced CD(d). He's not chasing and harrying, he's acting like a fairly static destroyer. If you look at my heat maps you'll clearly see we have a real red spot where my CM(d) operates. He locks down that part of the pitch.
Let's take Johansson - Heading (11), Marking (10), Tackling (10), Anticipation (8), Concentration (8), Decisions (10), Positioning (10). That's awful. He can't be allowed to play anywhere in the defensive unit. Parker is a bit better Heading (11), Marking (14), Tackling (15), Anticipation (15), Bravery (18), Concentration (15), Positioning (14). That's all excellent. But...Acceleration (7), Agility (7). So he sees the danger, when he gets there he can deal with it but he's so slow and so immobile that he can't get there in time or if he does its all to easy for the attacker to use a piece of skill or movement to throw him off balance.
Again, in my opinion, I wouldn't be able to use either as my CM(d).

Lastly, Chris Martin is strong, and can definitely hold it up, but I'm not sure his Passing or Vision is particularly good. The vision stat indicates how many possibilities he will perceive. At 12, which is what I'm seeing I'm not sure he'll be finding many incissive passes to his strike partner. He'll most likely play it simple. Do you see Martin getting the ball and playing it sideways or back a lot? If so that could be your problem. You need someone who can get hold of it, look up, see the dangerous pass and pull it off.

That's just my 2c on your line-up.

Fulhamswede said:
What kind of attributes should I be looking for in my CM (d)?

I use a DMC who has a skillset very similar to a CD. Or you can use any large CM. I look for Heading. I looked for Anticipation. Concentration. Bravery. Determination. Positioning. All as an absolute priority. Good Aggression is a plus. I would always be suspicious of a player with low Acceleration, Agility and Stamina as well.

You really need to check out your squad analysis tab. That will tell you a lot. There you can see how your squad rates against the rest of the divison. That is the most important thing. It doesn't matter how you match up to Man Utd, you don't play them every week. It matters how you match up to the other teams in your division. I would guess that your current team selection doesn't measure up to the division averages very well at all, especially in terms of CD(st), CM(d) & DLP(s).

Fulhamswede said:
Looking at the OP again and his Villarreal team clearly isnt what you describe that the tactic needs, Marco.

His Cb stopper is Musacchio. His attributes are 17 aggression, 13 strength, 15 heading, 12 jumping. Solid attributes but deffo not "very strong".

His Cm d is Tiago. Deffo not a cb-like player by any means. 12 heading, 12 tackling, 12 strength, 13 work rate.

His DLF is Sansone. 8 (!) in strength, 12 vision, 13passing,

What gives?

First of all, again, attributes are relative. If you're playing in the Isthmian League then 12's across the board IS excellent. I never play as Spanish teams so my knowledge of Villarreal is not very good. I'm guessing that he has a better than average squad in the key areas. Its also possible that he plays the system in a slightly different way. Remember when I recommend how you should play the system I'm not saying its the only way just that given who you're playing as, in the league you're in, with the players that you have available then there's no point telling you to play in a silky, fluid way. Also when I said "Strong" I meant literally. Strength, Heading, Aggression, Bravery, Determination. He needs to be a powerhouse. If Musacchio goes into a challenge against a Messi or a Soldado, they are going flying, so it is sufficient. I'm trying to imagine your CD(st) going into challenges with the likes of a Nickolai Brock-Madsen, or a Kenneth Zahore, Lukas Jutkiawicz, Clayton Donaldson, Aaron Wilbraham, Milan Djuric, Chris Martin, Chris Wood, Rudy Gestede, Steve Morison, Cameron Jerome, Apostolos Velios, Matt Smith, James Hanson or Adthe Nuhui. These are Championship strikers 6ft+ with huge aggression, heading, bravery.etc This is who your CD(st) will be going into challenges with. Now look at your CD(st)'s attributes.

I hope this helps.

ps - always remember your mentals. Bravery, Determination Workrate tell you something about the individual. Are they going to get involved in play or go missing, if these are low then they are lazy and cowardly. Anticipation & Concentration is their awareness. If these are low then they don't really pay attention. Decision, Off The Ball, Positioing & Vision are their in-game intelligence. If these are low then you've got a player that doesn't understand the game of football very well. They don't know where to be, where to go or what to do when they get there. Aggression and Composure tell you what they're like under pressure. Low aggression means a player will be tentative in a high pressure situation, low Composure means a player will panic in a high pressure situation. Leadership & Teamwork tell you whether they let others make decisions and take the initiative or whether they will organise, alert and guide your team in what they are doing. If these two are low then you have a player who doesn't contribute to team play as much. They'll do their job but don't see it as their responsibility to help anyone else do theirs. Also check a player's Coach Report. you should be looking out for anything in the Right Hand Side column like "Dislikes Big Matches" or "Dreads Big Matches" or "Tends to be Low on Confidence" or a dressing room warning telling you that they don't fit in because of a difference personality. These all tell you that you have a player with character flaws. If they don't like big matches they will inexplicably under-perform just when you need them to good attributes or not.

Technicals and Physicals are all self-explanatory but the mentals are a huge factor that not enough people understand.