thanks for the response, looking forward to it. If you add the DPs, and maybe make the MLS relegation playoff like the championship (a bit more difficult beause it's win or go home), it'd be perfect. I found that the promotion "playoff" in this DB was a bit easy, because all you had to do was have a better record than 1 team.

I've messed about in the editor and I've managed to get rid of the league cap. As expected, it was being caused by the original MLS division, so I've re-created that division and named it MLS. An example, Los Angeles Galaxy can now offer 30,000 a week contracts at start of game (as opposed to 4,500.) I can't add DP contracts though and the transfer system is now similar to the rest of the world. I've also deleted the 5 man rule in starting 11, but kept the 10 man rule for the squad.

You won't be able to buy well known stars from Europe yet though as the American clubs reputations aren't high enough -- they'll increase with in-game success.

Your wage budget will now be determined by your club finances.

I'm currently testing the new system (with a different relegation from the MLS structure too) and will post back with results and new link if everything goes fine.

Last edited:
The new promotion / relegation works like this --

Bottom 3 MLS + top team from 2nd division go into a cup play-off. Teams are drawn into Semi-Final pairings -- one leg is played and the winners remain or gain a place in the MLS. The two losers play-off against each other (again, one leg) and the winner goes to MLS and the loser to 2nd division. What do you think of that?

---------- Post added at 09:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:52 PM ----------

I have now added a new link in the OP with the changes mentioned in previous posts.

I have also added a graphics folder that includes logos for the New York Cosmos (configs and all.)

The new database has been tested over three seasons with 3 three clubs (one from each division) and has shown no problems.

Let me know how you get on :)

The new promotion / relegation works like this --

Bottom 3 MLS + top team from 2nd division go into a cup play-off. Teams are drawn into Semi-Final pairings -- one leg is played and the winners remain or gain a place in the MLS. The two losers play-off against each other (again, one leg) and the winner goes to MLS and the loser to 2nd division. What do you think of that?

Ya I like this system, challenging, and all the games mean something. I'm going to go try out the new one now

BTW, I'm having trouble editing the Cosmos into MLS. I moves Montreal to d2, springfield to d3 and cosmos from d3 to MLS. Everytime I try to start a new game, there is an error relating to the US Cup.. It keeps saying

US Cup-too many teams requested from MLS.

But when I edited the US Cup around, it still wouldnt work. Any advice?

Last edited:
I'm having problems editing the Cosmos into MLS. I'd moved the teams around, (Cosmos to MLS, Montreal to D2, Springfield to D3) and everytime I try to start a new game, it says it "cannot process rule group settings" and says
US Cup- too many teams (18) requested from MLS (1 team).

I've tried editing the number of MLS teams in the US Cup, but it still gives me that message. Any advice?

Give me a few minutes -- I'll move them around 4 for.

yehh and also it is something different from managing in England all the time.

has most people started with New York Cosmos?

BTW, I'm having trouble editing the Cosmos into MLS. I moves Montreal to d2, springfield to d3 and cosmos from d3 to MLS. Everytime I try to start a new game, there is an error relating to the US Cup.. It keeps saying

US Cup-too many teams requested from MLS.

But when I edited the US Cup around, it still wouldnt work. Any advice?

I've now done this and am currently running a test season for you. Everything seems fine so far (into June.)

---------- Post added at 11:22 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:20 PM ----------

yehh and also it is something different from managing in England all the time.

has most people started with New York Cosmos?

Yeah, opens you up to a whole new transfer market (I normally play on small to medium database) so a lot of foreign (esp smaller nation players aren't available.)

I started with the Cosmos, but I don't know how many others have :)

---------- Post added at 11:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:22 PM ----------

The NY Cosmos in MLS from the start has been added to OP -- I've ran a test of two years and all seems fine. This is a very tricky challenge though, as the club starts off with a terrible wage budget and not the best of squads -- spolier : they finished bottom (computer managed) in both seasons and only stayed up via play-off victories.

Firesox -- did you try the logos at all?

no I've just learned how to use new databases, I don't know how to put in graphics

no I've just learned how to use new databases, I don't know how to put in graphics

Ah right -- it's pretty easy. If you want to use them just navigate to the main user folder for FM2010 (the one that has the editor data folder and all in it) and add (if it's not there already) a folder named Graphics. Then put the extracted graphics in there and it'll work.

Also (if you don't know already) If you ever want to take screenshots of your game open the main user folder and add a folder called screenshots. Anytime you press alt and F9 together (when playing FM) it will take a screenshot and put in there for you.

Did you try the NY Cosmos in MLS database yet? I don't know why you were getting errors -- I just changed the teams around in the way you said you'd done it and it worked straight away.

alright i'll try that. I have one more request though. Could you make an all-Canadian league? Maybe put the three Canadian teams in the US set-up in the Canadian Soccer League and give the league 2 CONCACAF champion's league spots? That'd be great

tried doing this earlier on in the year when 10.2 came out with mixed reactions - will try this one definetly :D

alright i'll try that. I have one more request though. Could you make an all-Canadian league? Maybe put the three Canadian teams in the US set-up in the Canadian Soccer League and give the league 2 CONCACAF champion's league spots? That'd be great

If I do this, it will be a seperate database to the American one and you won't be able to run them at the same time due to conflicts in the league participants section of the edit file.

If this is ok with you, let me know in here.

Also, as I will be doing this database for you, can you also tell me anything else you would like to be included? Higher reputations to the leagues etc... or do you want it to be like real life? If you choose the latter, be aware that you won't be able to attract players rated higher than average to your club(s)..

---------- Post added at 09:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:22 PM ----------

tried doing this earlier on in the year when 10.2 came out with mixed reactions - will try this one definetly :D

Nick, did you do the db that had the Pepsi Cup and stuff included in it? I downloaded that and it was very well done. The only problem I had was that at the beginning of the second season the games slowed right down (I'm assuming this was my computer rather than your database.) That's pretty much the only reason why I made this one -- coz I was hooked on the American League after playing your file.

If I do this, it will be a seperate database to the American one and you won't be able to run them at the same time due to conflicts in the league participants section of the edit file.

If this is ok with you, let me know in here.

Also, as I will be doing this database for you, can you also tell me anything else you would like to be included? Higher reputations to the leagues etc... or do you want it to be like real life? If you choose the latter, be aware that you won't be able to attract players rated higher than average to your club(s)..

i don't know what levels in reputation are available, but I'd definitely be fine with just the Canadian database working (TFC obviously can't play in both leagues).

Maybe instead of increasing reputation, you could give the other teams (I imagine TFC, Vancouver Montreal have good money for a Canadian club) in the Canadian Soccer League a decent-sized transfer budget. I mean, it should be pretty realistic, where players will come over for money, and Canadian internationals are realistic targets. Basically it can be like MLS with less money, a little smaller reputation and less big-name players already in it, but with enough potential to become almost as good as MLS if that makes sense.

i don't know what levels in reputation are available, but I'd definitely be fine with just the Canadian database working (TFC obviously can't play in both leagues).

Maybe instead of increasing reputation, you could give the other teams (I imagine TFC, Vancouver Montreal have good money for a Canadian club) in the Canadian Soccer League a decent-sized transfer budget. I mean, it should be pretty realistic, where players will come over for money, and Canadian internationals are realistic targets. Basically it can be like MLS with less money, a little smaller reputation and less big-name players already in it, but with enough potential to become almost as good as MLS if that makes sense.

Ok, providing my computer keeps working (I had a hard-drive fail today :() I will get a beta version to you asap and then you can make any suggestions for further improvement.

Nice idea for a DB,might give it a bash soon...good stuff Carine

Always a break from european leagues, think Im gonna give this a try, nice work Carine ;)