Andy Carroll Left Out of U21 Squad, Senior Call Up Imminent?

Cal.

≡
Reaction score
Andy Carroll has been left out of the new U21 squad, currently the two main theories are that it's because he's being moved up to the senior squad, or that it's because of his court date next month.

Newcastle star Andy Carroll appears to be set for his first call-up to the senior England squad after being left out of the Under 21 squad for their upcoming European Championship play-off. Carroll has impressed for Newcastle so far this season with four goals to his name and his performances are thought to have caught the eye of Fabio Capello.

Carroll's omission from the Under 21s is understood not to have been injury-related and, with England suffering something of a striker shortage ahead of their October 12th Group G clash, it appears the Newcastle youngster will be drafted into the senior ranks.

Full squad:
F Fielding (Blackburn), S Loach (Watford), A Smithies (Huddersfield) J Steele (Middlesbrough); R Bertrand (Chelsea), K Gibbs (Arsenal), P Jones (Blackburn), M Kelly (Liverpool), M Mancienne (Chelsea), M Richards (Manchester City), C Smalling (Manchester United), K Walker (Tottenham); M Albrighton (Aston Villa), T Cleverley (Manchester United), J Cork (Chelsea), J Henderson (Sunderland), H Lansbury (Arsenal), F Muamba (Bolton), D Rose (Tottenham), J Wilshere (Arsenal); N Delfouneso (Aston Villa), D Sturridge (Chelsea), D Welbeck (on loan at Sunderland)
http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,19692_6413466,00.html

If this is true I think it might be too soon, but good luck to him nonetheless and I hope it works out.

I'm not a big fan of him but he could do a very decent job for England. Better than Heskey and Crouch imo

Better than Crouch? Crouch has scored 21 goals in 40 games, this isnt poor at international level.

Potentially better than Crouch.

I'm a bit of a fan of Carroll, and he deserves a call-up to the senior side, if only to give him some experience.

Would love to see him called up, but he does have the court date as well, so it could be that. Or both. He has the potential to lead the line, and even if he is only on the bench, the experience will be fantastic for him.

Have we really got this desperate? :S

Hope not i want him to play for scotland :(

"We are continually looking for players to play for Scotland," explained Levein. "(With regards Andy Carroll), nothing is dead in the water... Until Andy Carroll plays a competitive match for England he is still eligible and it's something we haven't given up on... But I would rather concentrate on the players who are in this squad."

Maybe it could be a case of locking him into declaring for England?

Hopefully this isn't a plan to have him in the starting eleven, that would be desperate. But it would do us good to blood some youngsters through (ie not just Carroll) as well

Why is Carroll (potentially) included, and Jack Wilshere not?

Why is Carroll (potentially) included, and Jack Wilshere not?
this. also not really crouch's fault with his record hes is mainly played against the small sides, its not like he's consistently plays against strong sides but fails to score

Crouch comes in for some much criticism unjustly. Still, no harm in seeing what Carroll can do, I guess. Better than Carlton Cole...

Not desperate, Capello is giving (possibly) a young striker a chance with the full squad.

He has potential, but no abbility.

Disagree. He has to put more goals and effort into his game.

Against ****** countries, most of his goals come against the lesser teams.

Agreed.
Crouch has scored against - Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Greece, Andorra, Macedonia, Estonia, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine, Belarus, Egypt, Mexico.

Out of those, there is only Mexico, Croatia and Ukraine you can call 'decent' teams.

Crouch comes in for some much criticism unjustly. Still, no harm in seeing what Carroll can do, I guess. Better than Carlton Cole...

Or Heskey....

Agreed.
Crouch has scored against - Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Greece, Andorra, Macedonia, Estonia, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine, Belarus, Egypt, Mexico.

Out of those, there is only Mexico, Croatia and Ukraine you can call 'decent' teams.

Uruguay are most definitely a good team, and Greece are always difficult to break down. Egypt are no mugs either.

Agreed.
Crouch has scored against - Uruguay, Hungary, Jamaica, Trinidad & Tobago, Greece, Andorra, Macedonia, Estonia, Austria, Croatia, Ukraine, Belarus, Egypt, Mexico.[/html]Out of those, there is only Mexico,Croatia and Ukraine you can call 'decent' teams.
And uraguay :wub: Based on the WC they are the best team on the whole list XD

I think he'll turn out to b a top player under hughton hes playing week in week out and thats only good for him, i am looking forward to seeing him in an englanbd shirt andi think he has a bright future.

I don't think he is ready yet to be honest, I like Crouch at International level and Bent also deserves a call-up. I think maybe not yet but possibly in the future.

England's four strikers will be -

Bent, Crouch, Carroll and Carlton Cole?