Anyone going to stick to FM08?

cityblues

Reaction score
After playing the demo (which keeps randomly crashing) and being disappointed about how pathetic the 3D enging is, has anyone decided to stick with FM08?

On the 3D engine, players very often run to the ball and touch it right out of play rather than stopping it? VERY annoying.

The graphics on the engine are also very poor and I think overall they have worsened the game :mad:

BUT, I do want the newer version (because its newer), so im not sure what to do.....

Well it looks as though they've done a straight conversion from the 2D engine to the 3D one so it still has the same annoying bugs as that one. So it's up to you really, you can view the bugs in the glory of three-dimensions or you can stick to 08 and watch them in 2D.

The constant crashes are being fixed for release as far as I'm aware.

I might stick with FM 08 simply beacuse ive still got a decent game on the go AFC Wimbledon in like 2026, wanna see how far i can go

nah if i was going down that road id never stop playing fm06

I might not get 09 straight away, and although its mainly cos the price has gone up I can't pre-order it right now (for like the first time ever), the demo hasn't made me want it that much. Although that's pretty much cos the demo is pretty **** and the skin is *****, so might keep on 08 for now as I did have a game goin on there before the demo.

Well it looks as though they've done a straight conversion from the 2D engine to the 3D one so it still has the same annoying bugs as that one. So it's up to you really, you can view the bugs in the glory of three-dimensions or you can stick to 08 and watch them in 2D.

The constant crashes are being fixed for release as far as I'm aware.

Yeh all the crappy match engine bugs are identical to FM 2008 so like Lee says it just looks like they have converted 2D into 3D without rewriting much of the match engine. Shame really.

nah if i was going down that road id never stop playing fm06

True, I will be playing FM 2009 no doubt about it. There's no point playing an older version when the new one is out with a few more little features. Only downside is the price as £25-£30 is a lot to pay for a slightly updated game.

there should blatently be an option in preferences to change the match engine back to 2D...please?

there should blatently be an option in preferences to change the match engine back to 2D...please?

Yeh you can either turn off 3D in the preferences or change the camera to 2D during the game.

i just want to say that i've been playing the game since CM 97/98 all they way to date. i literally grew up with the game. went to school, went to uni, graduated, served the army, got a job and today playing FM2009 since the date it was released i can say that....it's really hard for me to say but...it is not as good as the FM08.

For the first time the sequel, i feel, is not so good as the previous one. Not to say that i will go back to FM08 but it is a let down...

Agree complete except for not going back...I have :), im in 2032 now and ive turned Man U back into title contentders and won the UEFA Cup in my 2 seasons there. When I took over they had finished in the bottom half fo the table 9 seasons in a row and had big debts.

Anyway graduating and going into the army, whats that like? Im semi considering it, well its in my thoughts as I have no idea what im gunan do wehn i graduate.

Becuase I know what im doing on 08 and its not uber slow and jumpy and the 2d doesnt looks horrible

Trust me, you'd know what you were doing, c'mon, pull the other one. Just as you know, and just as the world predicted, it's just plain old CM/FM; what we've come to expect, only better.
And really, you must get a new computer lad, mine's running smooth as Ainsley Harriet's shiny headtop and that's with countless added player facepacks and a new skin (2x L&R).

Plus, the 3D is, in my eyes, more pleasing on the trained eye. And though i'm the first to admit, i don't like the 2D alterations, i reckon the game as a whole is big.

People who want new games with new features and then moan about the lag when their specifications aren't up to scratch, irritate me and give games a bad name. Judging by the fact that my game runs spiffingly, yours doesn't, and i use language like "spiffingly", that would the case with you, my good friend.

Havent you noticed that with each version of FM you need a different tactic, players are different etc. On 08 I like my tactic it works, i know why it works. Although for once I was having decent success results wise on a new fm with my old fm tactic but i wasnt performing too well.

My computers resonably knew. Good graphic card, can handle anything I throw at it, was at least 4 models ahead of the min spec one. Ive got 3 gigs of ram and a 2.2ghz duo core processor. Despite this the 2d is jumpy, the 3ds fine but from the 3d I cant really get a good idea of whats going on, all I get is a godo look at a goal or shot and not too much of the build up seeing who moved where etc.

The 2d doesnt look as good, even the classic. Its very cramped and you cant really tell whats doing on, i can barely see the ball on the new 2d ffs.

What new features are these? Press conferences ie all the annoyign news you got over a week on 08 condensed into one session. 3d which I dotn use (yet).

3D is big in my view. It marks the beginning of what is bound to be an immense journey for the game as a whole, and i fully expect the game to be running a Pro Evo 5/6 engine soon; maybe as soon as 2/3 years. That in itself is exciting enough for me, and i find the highlights much more enjoyable; part of that is down to the fact that although it worked wonderfully well, i really do feel the 2D was becoming outdated, and partly because i can really see that it's an Adebayor looking character representing the God Emmanuel himself, instead of some bloated little pie-ball.
Personally i also prefer the news coming in bulk, i.e Press Conferences, and they've changed the confidence levels dramatically when needed.. though i admit, they are ****** repetitive. I'm hoping, and almost expecting there to be some update soon. One which includes alternate interviews and whatnot. One thing i really don't like is that my *** Mng can't be trusted with the team talk. That i'll give you. I don't need Pat Rice storming out and telling the opposition my tactics, thanks.
I'll also admit i don't like the new 2D version, or the alternated classic, which in itself isn't the classic 2D, so yeah i can see your point here, but really.. why use 2D.
The 3D'll grow on you for sure, it has on me anyway, because as someone who's played the game through school, uni and will probably die bleeding young hotshots-to-be dry, it really is time to move the game forward.
Don't think i don't hear your cries, but i'm really happy with my purchase. (Though i wasn't at the beginning with all the Steam malarky.. that was NOT funny, and almost had me still playing 2D, like some degenerates i know) :)

Last edited:
BTW does that thing mean your the 15th best Xbox Live player? In the world? Thinking of getting one before the Xmas rush what do you play..? FIFA or PES..?

My issue with the 3d like I said above is that I cannot properly see whats going on, all I see si the goal whereas from above with 2d you can see what runs players makes, where the spaces are etc

I wish i was 15th in the world :p, im 15th on this board!!! out of like 17 or 18 people. If you look att he bottom of the main forum page you will see the leaderboard.

You know you can change the view to Elevated, Main Stand and a few others..
You can really see the runs on Zoomed vertical, but main stand works for me..

So FIFA or PES..? Or neither..?