Are you enjoying Football Manager 2020?

really liking it, the new features - big and small - have made such a difference. having a few crash dump troubles but what else do ya expect with the release with a huge game like FM

Honestly, this year is very deceptive to me. I've been playing all FMs for the last 15-20 years. Maybe my expectations were too high or SI oversold the new features, I don't know. But honestly, I don't see many new features that makes a real difference in the game.

A few changes I have noticed :
- Board vision and 5 year strategic plan : that's cool but only used once a year.
- Transcript once a month : it already existed, SI just changed the design and push to your inbox a transcript (with A and B+ grades etc.). Not very interesting or new neither.
- youth development center : who manages the U19 team ? For sure, I look at U19 and pick the best ones and promote them to my senior team when necessary but I won't look at their training nor matches nor tactics. Typically I delegate this to my staff so this feature is pretty useless I think.
For me, it seems like a cut and paste from last year. I am using the same tactic that killed FM19 (TFF tactic!) and it still works.
Other than the above + the expected update on transfers, very frustrating FM this year!

If some of you can shed some light on key features that makes a true difference for them, maybe I'm missing something ... ??

The changes from FM19 seem pretty minor, but I loved FM19 so I'm not really complaining! Some nice new features even if they're not major ones! Still as hooked as ever so it's a thumbs up from me!

I have now clocked 180 hours of it and something like 175 of those hours have been nothing but frustration and anger! Havent won anything, been sacked once. Cant remember when was the last time the ME has made me this angry. Every tactic I've tried just gives random results that make no sense.

I'm loving it this year but I think that's more due to the fact that I'm not managing Tranmere for a change :ROFLMAO:

I haven't complained about the match engine in the last 10 years but as of right now it's pretty poor. Especially when you get near the opposing goal. The complete lack of awareness by the player with the ball is astounding. Why the **** would my RB/LB shoot when they are on the byline every single time? The simple pass/cross seems to be be ignored 99% of the time.

I've just completed a season with Bolton, very glad to do double (L1 + Leasing). But, I really hate watching the key highlights. I notice that there are a few predictable actions on the pitch as followed:

1. Very little passing to the build up of goal attempt, no matter what tactics I implement. Usually the player always dribbles and shoots in all kind of ridiculous angles. To date, I have yet to see the dribbler passing the ball to team mates in better position to score, especially in counter attack. Not even happening on my opponents

2. 90% 1 on 1 won't result a goal. The keeper is superhuman most of the time. Same goes to my GK

3. Way too many penalties, like 1 in every 4-5 games, and missing them way to many times. Strangely my opponents usually don't get one

I hope this is just an isolated experience and I really appreciate if anyone has a solution for me, as I couldn't bare watching another match with the same pattern appears game after game. Thanks

Honestly, this year is very deceptive to me. I've been playing all FMs for the last 15-20 years. Maybe my expectations were too high or SI oversold the new features, I don't know. But honestly, I don't see many new features that makes a real difference in the game.

A few changes I have noticed :
- Board vision and 5 year strategic plan : that's cool but only used once a year.
- Transcript once a month : it already existed, SI just changed the design and push to your inbox a transcript (with A and B+ grades etc.). Not very interesting or new neither.
- youth development center : who manages the U19 team ? For sure, I look at U19 and pick the best ones and promote them to my senior team when necessary but I won't look at their training nor matches nor tactics. Typically I delegate this to my staff so this feature is pretty useless I think.
For me, it seems like a cut and paste from last year. I am using the same tactic that killed FM19 (TFF tactic!) and it still works.
Other than the above + the expected update on transfers, very frustrating FM this year!

If some of you can shed some light on key features that makes a true difference for them, maybe I'm missing something ... ??
Well it`s good you voice your concerns...that`s the best way to improve...via #AsteppingStineClub

I guess we all have the same problems..W or IF don't pass, cross, WBs shooting all the time..plenty of penalties (almost everygame), 1v1 situations are terrible..

Do you think they will fix that?

I've just completed a season with Bolton, very glad to do double (L1 + Leasing). But, I really hate watching the key highlights. I notice that there are a few predictable actions on the pitch as followed:

1. Very little passing to the build up of goal attempt, no matter what tactics I implement. Usually the player always dribbles and shoots in all kind of ridiculous angles. To date, I have yet to see the dribbler passing the ball to team mates in better position to score, especially in counter attack. Not even happening on my opponents

2. 90% 1 on 1 won't result a goal. The keeper is superhuman most of the time. Same goes to my GK

3. Way too many penalties, like 1 in every 4-5 games, and missing them way to many times. Strangely my opponents usually don't get one

I hope this is just an isolated experience and I really appreciate if anyone has a solution for me, as I couldn't bare watching another match with the same pattern appears game after game. Thanks

I'm afraid you are one of many who are experiencing this. I've been banned from posting on the Sports Interactive forum about this, because (they say) the devs are aware of it and working on a fix. All I wanted from them was a rough estimate of when it will be done (days? weeks? months?) - but they don't like that so kicked me out haha.

I've given up playing it until a patch is released - completely unplayable at present. Disgrace really that this was raised during BETA Testing by many people (myself included) but ignored and allowed the full release to have the same bug.

Right now its garbage... i will start playing again when they fix this "game". ? see you in 2 months ?

There is for sure something off with the Match Engine, every year they somehow manage to make it worse and more unrealistic than ever whilst preaching realism in all their promo material.

In an age where game developers truly have a deeper understanding of AI and how it works, is there an excuse for how poor it is?

In an age where you can buy a high quality face generator texture pack from the Unity or Unreal store, made by hobbyist game developers, is there really an excuse for how managers and newgens look?

I don't know, I feel like I'm slowly starting to not identify with the revolutionary game I fell in love with.

In an age where game developers truly have a deeper understanding of AI and how it works, is there an excuse for how poor it is?

In an age where you can buy a high quality face generator texture pack from the Unity or Unreal store, made by hobbyist game developers, is there really an excuse for how managers and newgens look?

Both of these have one potential reason - game speed. It's a niche game compared to the bigger games out there so it still needs to be accessible to as many people as people, including those on older PCs or laptops and then there's FMT that needs to work on tablets as well.

That's also why we still have a transfer AI that is not proactive in signing players. You won't see a manager go for a good deal (either cheaper, so a chance to make money, or one who is better than the current) on a striker (for example) when the current one is happy and good enough. We are always on the hunt for someone better or cheaper.

Both of these have one potential reason - game speed. It's a niche game compared to the bigger games out there so it still needs to be accessible to as many people as people, including those on older PCs or laptops and then there's FMT that needs to work on tablets as well.

That's also why we still have a transfer AI that is not proactive in signing players. You won't see a manager go for a good deal (either cheaper, so a chance to make money, or one who is better than the current) on a striker (for example) when the current one is happy and good enough. We are always on the hunt for someone better or cheaper.

Excellent point

I'm really liking it. The development centre is great and I love the agreed playing time within contracts. I helps build for the future.

Only down side is the match engine is a little off as we all know... Shooting into the sidenetting, loads of penalty misses and quite a lot of red cards. Hopefully these things will be fixed or tweaked soon.