Arrigo Sacchi's 4-4-2: High Pressure, Attacking Tactic for Top Teams and Underdogs

It does work with network games, used it on a couple including Cardiff coming 2nd first season and winning it 2nd and 3rd season.
i love your tac very...but there's a problem...i dont have enough money to buy some DMs and i have 6 CMs in my team...so i intent to raise those 2 DM positions to CM..and what shoud i do to it? just let 1 CM be d and 1 be automatic or what eles?

I was a very bad boy.

I currently have a save in 2022 with Bayern Munich (3rd season in Germany) and with a mix of knowing who is good in 2022 and lists i have seen of wonderkids, that mixed with the type of players that had the stats required in the OP. I used the FM Live Editor for a bit of fun and took the 1st top division club without a manager in the world and gave them a **** load of coinage.

Basically, im messing about with newly promoted Charleroi in the Belgian Pro league. Havent bought any mega bucks signings. My biggest spend was 5 mil as i didnt want things to be so easy it was boring. Although i cant deny, it is higly amusing having a top wonderkid turn down Real Madrid for my team rofl. Altho abusing the world rep stats and having them maxed out kinda wins lol.

I'd previously tried out several solid tactics in my FC Bayern Save like 2-3-2-2-1 Total football (link for it here incase your curious http://www.fm-base.co.uk/forum/foot...1-big-release-2-3-2-2-1-total-football-4.html ) which is just awesome for the amount of big you get and matches with 70% possesion. Also this one is pretty solid 2. After a few games on your tactic, theres a strong possibility its gonna make it to my top 3.

Very good job sir

Yep, this has definitly made it to my top 3, giving it a go with a weak team and started off jobless and have ended up with Oldham in League one. Will see how i get on. And yes, i havent bought fm2014 yet so im still playing this for now :)

You, Sir, are a genius. im a big fan of 4-4-2 tactics and managed to create a pretty good one with 2 wingers (support, hugging line) and 2 CMs (defending). i won everything with big teams (r.madrid, man utd) but when i tried it with nuneaton and watford, it failed. so when i applied your tactic to man utd and r.madrid save and saw big difference from mine i decided to try it with west ham. i had a decent start. will post results after season finishes

HI guys.
Im using this tactic in FM 14 at patch 2.1.

I keep conceding late goals & my players are constantly being sent off.

Any ideas how to shore up my defence & stop the yellows/reds?

Tactics the way i like them. A good solid base without over complicating things to specific players. I used the base of this tactic with Napoli, the only difference being i pulled 1 striker back and played 5 in midfield. Having Cavani in your team is enough up front and he thrives on his own rather. Also it allowed me to play Hamsik in his preferred attacking cm role.

The formation gave me a solid defensive base. My first season I finished 2nd in the league to Juventus, won the Italian Cup, and won the Uefa Cup against Arsenal.

Thanks.

First of all, I must say thanks and appreciations on an awesome tactic. I've tried many many tactics including Ovro's 3-6-1 and the top tactins in Mr Langvatn's thread but none come close to this tactic in terms of not just success but also in goals scored and defense.

I've used this tactic on many saves, always bringing me awesome results. Previously I started with a strong team and bought lots of world class players but it got stale. In my latest save, I started unemployed and I got job with Freiburg. 1st season, with no signings, finished third! In my 5th season, 1 won the German League, the German Cup, the German Super Cup, and the CL all undefeated. YES, NOT A SINGLE DEFEAT! All with young player that I got at bargain prices that I developed using this tactic.

View attachment 378332View attachment 378325

Thats for the results.

What I really wanted to ask was, hypothetically and just in terms of FM 2013, could a different tactic with the same objectives be made. I mean, Arrigo Sacchi's 442 is about compressing the play and pressing high up the pitch with fast, attacking play. What if we say have a formation like 0-4-2-3-1 (see picture above), no defenders, WBs and DMs are the defense. Any ideas if it is workable or doable?

Last edited:
This tactic is just amazing! I took over Cagliari and won the title in the first season!!! With kind of a crapy team( except Astori and Naingollan , wich are extremely good). Now, I am at the start of the 4-th season and I have a very good squad. I was champion 2 times in a row, finished on second place in the 3-rd season ( Juventus made incredible transfers... ) , won 3 times the Super Cup and in Italian Cup played 2 finals and woned one. In the Champions League, in the second season I finished second in the group and then got knocked out in the first match; in the 3-rd season, won the group and made it to quarterfinals, where lost to Utd on away goals. Quite amazing for Cagliari!!!

This tactic is just amazing! I took over Cagliari and won the title in the first season!!! With kind of a crapy team( except Astori and Naingollan , wich are extremely good). Now, I am at the start of the 4-th season and I have a very good squad. I was champion 2 times in a row, finished on second place in the 3-rd season ( Juventus made incredible transfers... ) , won 3 times the Super Cup and in Italian Cup played 2 finals and woned one. In the Champions League, in the second season I finished second in the group and then got knocked out in the first match; in the 3-rd season, won the group and made it to quarterfinals, where lost to Utd on away goals. Quite amazing for Cagliari!!!

Yep, after Freiburg I went to Athletico Madrid...3rd season unbeaten 35 wins 3 draws, 4th season 37 wins 1 loss, back to back CL wins

Hi champion7891,

I was wondering if u use opposition instructions or not?

Yep, after Freiburg I went to Athletico Madrid...3rd season unbeaten 35 wins 3 draws, 4th season 37 wins 1 loss, back to back CL wins

Yea I agree, this is the best underdog tactic I have tried, you can use very young talent teenagers and succeed.

Champion7891 I have a save where I still use this tactic along with my own that I have posted in another thread, but what I'm interested in is to see your players if you are up for pasting your line up for inspiration. Alt+F9 it would be really cool to see also what match preparation do you use in this tactic?

Amazing how this tactic is over 1 year old and still probably the strongest underdog tactic. I tweaked the set pieces and the defence setting a tiny bit so little that its not worth posting in the tweak thread of this tactic, so I hope its ok that I post it here otherwise please remove.

Glorious Success with Brondby IF (Danish team) Original Tactic no Tweaks:
View attachment 365940

Results AC Milan:
View attachment 365957 View attachment 365956 View attachment 365955

Tactic/Training/Setpiece:
View attachment 365954 View attachment 365953 View attachment 365952

Download Arrigo Sacchi 4-4-2 Corner & Defence tweak HERE

Last edited: