Arsenal almost signed me - Barton

• Thread starter Thread starter BBC Sport
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 75
  • Views Views 4K
someone once said 'Song is most offensive defensive midfielder in the world'. IMO, he's better than Barton. But my opinion is that Barton would fit well in Arsenal system. Wilshere as playmaker, Barton as holding midfielder and Song as tackler/connection between defense and attack. Wallcot and Gervinho on wings and RVP in the middle. Sonds good to me. Arteta is similar to Ramsey and Wilshere, but since Jack is injured, Arsene needed playmaker.

If he stops feuding with Henry that is

To be fair, Henry was the original instigator. If he is going to treat Barton the way he did last season, he has to expect some sort of response.

Hopefully he does dial it down a bit, but not enough to effect the way he plays, if he does, then it will be QPR's gain, and they will have gained an awesome player, with relatively little gamble imo.

he makes more tackles and interceptions per game than barton, certainly did last season. Song is a midfield enforcer who can pass.

Just wondering what the amount of passes a game/assists/dribbles completed/bookings/red cards were like in a comparison between the two players?

Just wondering what the amount of passes a game/assists/dribbles completed/bookings/red cards were like in a comparison between the two players?

Song:

Average Passes p/g: 60.9
Pass Success %: 86
Assists: 2
Dribbles p/g: 1.1
Tackles p/g: 3.3
Interceptions p/g: 2.6

Barton:

Average Passes p/g: 50.5
Pass Success %: 75
Assists: 9
Dribbles p/g: 0.4
Tackles p/g: 2.5
Interceptions p/g: 1.7

I can get other figures if you want them, but it seems from that that Barton is the superior creator whereas Song is a better defensive anchor.

PS All figures from last season.

Last edited:
To be fair, the fact that you have to say that rather speaks volumes.

I'm not fan of Barton, and quite apart from his off-field behaviour I don't think he's good enough for Arsenal. Technically he's all right for an English player, but for an Arsenal player he just isn't good enough.

In that, how much of that can be contributed to the coach?
Uncle Neil has a record of getting troublesome player to be at their best, and put aside their d!ckheadery, which returns when they're sold on to a new club with a weaker coach.

Haz Redknapp is the same.
Sir Fergy is borderline...
Mourinho does, but I'm bemused at to how/what way. A very interesting brain to pick.
Saint Hiddink is another, but has been caught out.

How well did Wenger handle Adebayor? Has any coach "handled" him yet? I'm interested in how HR controls him.
Couldn't do it for Hleb, he's not really with Andrei.

last season: Barton made 2.5 tackles a game, 1.7 interceptions, 1.3 fouls; 4 goals, 9 assists, 2.5 key passes per game, 50.5 passes per game with 75% accuracy and 2.8 crosses per game. 8 Yellow cards

Cant see song's for last season, but Barton trumped him everywhere except tackles and interceptions IIRC, and pass comepletion

Song:

Average Passes p/g: 60.9
Pass Success %: 86
Assists: 2
Dribbles p/g: 1.1
Tackles p/g: 3.3
Interceptions p/g: 2.6

Barton:

Average Passes p/g: 50.5
Pass Success %: 75
Assists: 9
Dribbles p/g: 0.4
Tackles p/g: 2.5
Interceptions p/g: 1.7

I can get other figures if you want them, but it seems from that that Barton is the superior creator whereas Song is a better defensive anchor.

PS All figures from last season.

Where did you get Songs for last season?

I see, well with both sets of stats, they are relatively similar, although Song being more defensive, and Barton being more attacking, which in itself is pretty obvious. I think with those two playing behind someone like Wilshire, they would be good, I imagine they could compliment each other very well, although I imagine after what Song/Barton did in the Newcastle v Arsenal game, it is a rather unlikely partnership.

Cant see song's for last season, but Barton trumped him everywhere except tackles and interceptions IIRC, and pass comepletion

Not quite everywhere. Song has the edge in clearances (0.9 to Barton's 0.7), blocked shots (0.4 to Barton's 0.3) and Barton was dribbled by opposition players quite a bit more (1.4 to Song's 0.9)

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Where did you get Songs for last season?

Whoscore, of course. ;)

Not quite everywhere. Song has the edge in clearances (0.9 to Barton's 0.7), blocked shots (0.4 to Barton's 0.3) and Barton was dribbled by opposition players quite a bit more (1.4 to Song's 0.9)

---------- Post added at 12:37 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:34 AM ----------

Whoscore, of course. ;)

i couldnt see them for last season. fr some reason i cant see players frmo last season

Oh I see, personally I think Barton would be a good signing for any team in the premier league. He's an all action midfielder and you don't get many of those anymore. Quality player. Although I couldn't give a **** what players get up to off the pitch as long as they perform on it, I can see why some fans may have a problem with it.

There's just something about Barton. It's not his off-field antics, I don't think, but SOMEthing is influencing me. He's just a little underwhelming. I feel people make too big a point about him being a ******** off field but excellent on it, it feels to me that the latter part is overplayed slightly. I don't know why I feel this way, but I guess there must be a reason.

Also, he's not a patch on Cabaye.

Just curious: Anyone reckon Barton would make it at Spurs? I think so.

Good player, but he wouldn't get near our starting X1.

Modric, Parker, Sandro and Thudd all superior players imo.

Back