Arsenal in crisis? Do me a favour!!

• Thread starter Thread starter ajt09
  • Start date Start date
  • Replies Replies 118
  • Views Views 8K

ajt09

Nice Guy Gramps
Reaction score
I have been reading a lot of Arsenal forums lately, mainly because of the Nasri/Fabregas situation, and I've seen sentences like "Arsenal are in a major crisis", or "Wenger must go now" and similar posts/topics. Personal opinion, no it's not a crisis. I may not be an Arsenal fan obviously, but it's getting a bit tiresome, when I'm hearing stuff like this in various media outlets, from Arsenal fans who have become increasingly disillusioned. But there's various things to take into consideration.

1. Arsenal have a world class manager at the helm. Okay, he's stubborn and made some questionable decisions, but look at what he's done for the club. Under Arsene they've continuously qualified for the Champions League, won three Premier League titles, taken them to a Champions League final, bought in/developed some quality players, and ensured they have quality players for the future of the club. When people say the youngsters are over-rated-****. Utter, utter ****. Not only disrespectful to the players, but also the club. But we all agree that he has to start spending now to strengthen the squad, and by the looks of it, he's already begun that process. It's all too easy for the press and some fans to mock Wenger and use him as a joke figure, but it's totally unfair in my opinion.

2. Arsenal Football Club are now in a perfect financial situation, thanks to the spending policy. This will aid the club greatly for the future, especially with the FFP rules coming into effect. Once the stadium is paid off, there will be absolutely nothing to worry about whatsoever. They are sorted in that department.

3. Fabregas is gone. And by the looks of it, Nasri will be off too. Which pretty much puts the club in a transition process imo, as it gives the quality youngsters they have a great oppurtunity to showcase their talents, and really show what they are capable of. Wilshere, Ramsay....they have great futures ahead of them, both at club, and International level. So it's a bit of a rebuilding process. At least the Cesc situation is sorted, so that's one less distraction.

4. Trophies. Yes it's been 6 years, and it's frustrating, but other clubs have had major droughts. Manchester United went 26 years without winning the league, Manchester City ended there drought last season after 35 years without a trophy, Liverpool have now gone 21 years without winning the league and Tottenham have gone 50 years without winning the league. So is Arsenal really in a crisis? I wouldn't say so tbh.

So to be honest, things aren't going well for the club, but how much of it is really Arsene's fault? It was Barca who turned Cesc's head two years back and started the tapping up saga, and Nasri obviously had his head turned by City, that is not the fault of Wenger imo. I don't think it's Wengers fault either, that last season the players fell like dominoes toward the end of the season, and pretty much imploded. That's player mentality. There was a distinct lack of determination, and just for some reason, were mentally burnt out. Yes, he is stubborn with his policy of buying, but like I mentioned, I think he's prepared to act on that and do something about.

It does no good for the team if fans start shouting they want the manager out during a match, start booing players during matches, shout abuse or whatever. Human beings can react very badly to that sort of thing, and will just make the players disheartened, and make the situation worse. And when they play worse, the club could start sliding, and then you will have a crisis. And then you could potentially lose one of the most fantastic managers you've had for a long, long time. And I'd be gutted if that happened. The club needs the fans to get behind the team, and support them, because right now, they need all the support they can get.

People may disagree, but it's just an opinion from an outside observer. There's a lot of managers I have total respect and admiration for like Moyes, Sir Alex Ferguson, Carlo Ancelotti, and Arsene Wenger is definately one of them too, and I'd be gutted to see him pay the price because of opinion.

Last edited:
Agree with this. Unfortunately it's the fans that become so used to success, they won't accept anything less. 6 years without a trophy is nothing compared to most clubs. Arsenal fans should make the best of the great, entertaining football they play now, cos it won't last forever. (I realise the majority know this) It wasn't long ago that Chelsea were in a 'crisis.' Seems to be the most overused melodramatic term used in football.

Yeah the response from some of the Arsenal fans is really disappointing. An acquaintance of mine is an Arsenal fan and he constantly talks about how Wenger needs to be sacked. It drives me absolutely mental. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that the younger fans only remember Arsenal's success and don't appreciate how much Arsene has done for the club.

And he's the most underrated manager IMO in any sport. 15 straight Champions League appearances and on NO budget whatsoever in recent years. The things he does on a negative transfer budget are truly remarkable and yet he gets nothing but criticism for it. It's amazing that you would constantly criticize a manager for sacrificing results for the long-term future of the club. He could win trophies but it would involve putting Arsenal in debt and he loves the club too much to do that. Few managers have the moral fiber to do something like that. And what gets me is how unpopular he is. I feel like all of England is rooting against Arsenal and loves when they fail but how could Arsenal be more dislikeable than a club like City or Chelsea, who basically use FMRTE to play fantasy football with foreign money. Oh and both of those clubs play boring defensive football, unlike Arsenal, which is pretty sad considering what they could do with those hundreds of millions.

Unbeaten in 2004 and then BOOM! 6 years without a trophy. I think the fans have a right to be ******.

Yeah the response from some of the Arsenal fans is really disappointing. An acquaintance of mine is an Arsenal fan and he constantly talks about how Wenger needs to be sacked. It drives me absolutely mental. I think a lot of it comes down to the fact that the younger fans only remember Arsenal's success and don't appreciate how much Arsene has done for the club.

And he's the most underrated manager IMO in any sport. 15 straight Champions League appearances and on NO budget whatsoever in recent years. The things he does on a negative transfer budget are truly remarkable and yet he gets nothing but criticism for it. It's amazing that you would constantly criticize a manager for sacrificing results for the long-term future of the club. He could win trophies but it would involve putting Arsenal in debt and he loves the club too much to do that. Few managers have the moral fiber to do something like that. And what gets me is how unpopular he is. I feel like all of England is rooting against Arsenal and loves when they fail but how could Arsenal be more dislikeable than a club like City or Chelsea, who basically use FMRTE to play fantasy football with foreign money. Oh and both of those clubs play boring defensive football, unlike Arsenal, which is pretty sad considering what they could do with those hundreds of millions.

agree. The sight of Wenger just wondering about the touchlines looking absolutely forlon is really sad. Looks like he's in no mans land

---------- Post added at 06:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:34 PM ----------

enjoy your rant agt? ;)

Wouldnt say it's a rant tbh lol. Just trying to instill some positivity. There's going to be a barren spell for any club no matter who's in charge and what players they have. Like Curtis said, some fans forget about the great work he's done for the club. Not all, just some

And what about the fans who pay the highest ticket prices in the league? They see top quality players leaving, and not being replaced. If you pay top price, you expect top quality.

Wenger seems to have lost his ruthlessness from past years. He comes across as someone now who accepts champions league football and 4th place, rather than going all the way. For so long, he kept Almunia in goal. How many points did that cost the team? We've been crying out for a new centre back, and still, there is no new centre back.

I'm not a Wenger hater, or someone who thinks he can do no wrong. He has been a great manager, no doubt. I appreciate what he has done, but you can't live on past glories forever. I don't want him to be sacked, but I would like him to stop being stubborn. I would personally like to see how Man Utd fans would feel if Ferguson was in the same position. I have no doubt many of you would be equally frustrated.

Last edited:
In an interview with Sky Sports tonight he says (Saw it leaked and have forgotten exactly) that he is willing to spend 30 million pounds on one player if he feels it will benefit the team.

I'll never slate Wenger for what he's done, the only thing he is guilty of is having too much faith in his players which is not a bad trait to have as a coach...But as a manager it could be perceived to be a weakness.

Unbeaten in 2004 and then BOOM! 6 years without a trophy. I think the fans have a right to be ******.
To be fair they lost most of their best players fairly soon after. The only club that never seems to be in a major transition period is Manchester United, and that thanks to Ferguson being a genius and and also getting lucky along the way.The Chelsea squad is getting older now, so they will be making sure they replace the likes of Lampard and Drogba etc but at least with them theyl have had Roman funding the rejuvination process. Until now I think Wenger had been wary of spending big sums on players. We know he has the cash available and I expect him to start building again

And what about the fans who pay the highest ticket prices in the league? They see top quality players leaving, and not being replaced. If you pay top price, you expect top quality.

It also feels like we've become a youth developing centre, rather than a team who is taken very seriously for winning trophies. Wenger seems to have lost his ruthlessness from past years. He comes across as someone now who accepts champions league football and 4th place, rather than going all the way. For so long, he kept Almunia in goal. How many points did that cost the team? We've been crying out for a new centre back, and still, there is no new centre back.

I'm not a Wenger hater, or someone who thinks he can do no wrong. He has been a great manager, no doubt. I appreciate what he has done, but you can't live on past glories forever. I don't want him to be sacked, but I would like him to stop being stubborn. I would personally like to see how Man Utd fans would feel if Ferguson was in the same position. I have no doubt many of you would be equally frustrated.

Thing is though as we've seen in the past, if a player wants to leave the club, 9 times out of 10 you can't really stop them. The things too, they simply can't keep up with the spending power of other clubs like Man Utd and especially Man City. And until now, he's had to work to a certain transfer budget that's been handed to him-obviously until now. Have a feeling though that he's going to throw away the stubborness streak though when it comes to transfer prices.

Thing is though as we've seen in the past, if a player wants to leave the club, 9 times out of 10 you can't really stop them. The things too, they simply can't keep up with the spending power of other clubs like Man Utd and especially Man City. And until now, he's had to work to a certain transfer budget that's been handed to him-obviously until now. Have a feeling though that he's going to throw away the stubborness streak though when it comes to transfer prices.
Well I hope he does lose that stubborness. For his own benefit and the teams. If I remember correctly, they said one of the reasons for moving to the Emirates is keeping up with Man Utd in the transfer market. Nobody can keep up with Man City obviously, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to.

Well I hope he does lose that stubborness. For his own benefit and the teams. If I remember correctly, they said one of the reasons for moving to the Emirates is keeping up with Man Utd in the transfer market. Nobody can keep up with Man City obviously, and quite frankly I wouldn't want to.

I think he will tbh. Think he realises he's got a lot more to lose this time round if the club has a bad season

I agree with that.
Hopefully , people will read this and change their minds.

It also feels like we've become a youth developing centre, rather than a team who is taken very seriously for winning trophies. Wenger seems to have lost his ruthlessness from past years. He comes across as someone now who accepts champions league football and 4th place, rather than going all the way. For so long, he kept Almunia in goal. How many points did that cost the team? We've been crying out for a new centre back, and still, there is no new centre back.

Arsenal is on a ten-year plan to pay down the debt of the Emirates stadium and they've been very unlucky to not have won a trophy in the past 6 years (many worse teams have). It might seem like they're a youth developing center but a lot of that is because of greeder players who leave for higher salaries (Adebayor, Nasri, Cole, etc.) or because they think they're better than they actually are (Hleb, Silva) thanks to how much Arsene has gotten out of them. And of course there's the Fabregas situation, but Barca was his boyhood team and that was bound to happen at some point. But once they're done paying for the stadium they'll hold onto their players and win more. And this current crop of youngsters look amazing. Once Szczesny, Gibbs, Wilshere, Ramsey, Walcott, OAC, Lansbury, Frimpong, etc. grow into world-beaters, Arsenal will be unstoppable. And you have Arsene to thank for that because no manager is as good at developing young talent.

Good keepers are very hard to come by and Fabianski and Almunia have been very good at times, just really bad at other times. But Szczesny will be a great keeper and Arsene doesn't want to interfere with his development.

And Arsenal has shelled out a lot of money for three center-backs in the past two years. They just had the awful luck that one of them was out for a whole season injured and another one didn't settle into the Prem even though he's a proven tall CB (what the fans wanted). Had Vermaelen played last season they would have won the CC and hence would not have begun the downward spiral that ruined their last season (after that CC game they had Barca away and FA Cup ManU away).

That's another thing people forget. Last year was Arsenal's season. They had amazing talent and Arsene had shelled out for CB's. They just lost an extremely important player for the whole season and Fabregas and Van Persie missed a lot of the year. They were still doing OK in February though and in all competitions. They should have won one of them, and it could have spurred them on to do very well in the league (possibly win it, people forget how **** they were in the league after February, and ManU was in transition last year). Instead they have that unlucky loss and it was too much for the players psychologically since it's been such a long time (mainly because Arsene, to his credit, doesn't put too much stock into the domestic cups), so after they had to play those next two nearly unwinnable games and lost them, the players mentally collapsed and were terrible in the league. Then they had to sell off their two most talented players, so again this year won't be their year. But I think next season they could be great, and the year after they'll be favorites to win the title.

Oh, and as far as SAF goes, if ManU fell into a financial crisis and he had to work on a negative transfer budget every year, the fans would be satisfied with qualifying for the CL every year and competing in all competitions. But ManU is a bigger club than Arsenal and they have a much bigger budget and revenue stream, so that won't happen.

I dont think they are in "crisis" as its too big a word and i would never use that unless i was sure. Saying that i do think they are in the worst place since maybe 97-98 and alot needs to be done. Personly i think a manager or staff change would freshen things up but if thats not available then a batch of players im talking 4-5 players would give them a newness about the side. Also Wenger signing players like Chamberlain who they do not need in a million years does not make things better when they desprately need a CB and still in my eyes a DM. If Arsenal fail to make the top 4 this season or fail to to beat Udinese then the media knife will just cut more and more into Arsenal and Wenger and i feel they will have no choice and will have to move on. Yes Wenger has done alot of good things financialy for this club but his main role is a manager not an accountant and i think their fans look way too much into this.

waiting for some reaction from the head: Joss !!

I expect to be corrected on some things. I have a feeling.......... lol

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I dont think they are in "crisis" as its too big a word and i would never use that unless i was sure. Saying that i do think they are in the worst place since maybe 97-98 and alot needs to be done. Personly i think a manager or staff change would freshen things up but if thats not available then a batch of players im talking 4-5 players would give them a newness about the side. Also Wenger signing players like Chamberlain who they do not need in a million years does not make things better when they desprately need a CB and still in my eyes a DM. If Arsenal fail to make the top 4 this season or fail to to beat Udinese then the media knife will just cut more and more into Arsenal and Wenger and i feel they will have no choice and will have to move on. Yes Wenger has done alot of good things financialy for this club but his main role is a manager not an accountant and i think their fans look way too much into this.

I feel sometimes the press can be so influential on fans/club boards at times, but possibly at the same time miss the bigger picture

I expect to be corrected on some things. I have a feeling.......... lol

---------- Post added at 07:11 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:09 PM ----------

I feel sometimes the press can be so influential on fans/club boards at times, but possibly at the same time miss the bigger picture

Not all the time, last season i think the media wanted Ancelotti to stay at Chelsea and they didnt listen (although this is trigger happy Roman who listens to no-one but himself). Like i say all era's come to an end and i think things have become stale at Arsenal and a newness is needed. Whether that comes from a manager, staff or mass player change something needs to be done and drasticly within these 2 weeks otherwise they will drop out the top 4. If Wenger was releaved of his duties then he will go down as Arsenal's best manager in the history of the club but atleast then the club could move on so pastures(sp) new.

Back