Arsenal - Liverpool 20/08/11 12:45

Ride The Walrus

A pretty cool guy.
Reaction score
Arsenal begin Premier League life after Cesc Fabregas, and probably Samir Nasri, when they host Liverpool live on Sky Sports HD2/2 on Saturday lunchtime.
Arsene Wenger and his club have been headline fodder for the majority of the summer amid what has undoubtedly been the most difficult period of the Frenchman's 15 years in England.
The sale of Fabregas to Barcelona was inevitable, but, with Manchester City also closing in on Nasri, Arsenal are being portrayed as a club in crisis.
Some fans have turned on Wenger as a result and chants of to the effect of 'spend some money' could be heard during the 0-0 draw at Newcastle on the opening day of the season.
An edgy 1-0 win over Udinese in midweek in the UEFA Champions League play-offs has done little to appease the doubters and a positive performance against Liverpool
spacer.gif
is essential as a consequence.

But Kenny Dalglish's new-look visitors need to show their own mettle after the less-than-inspiring 1-1 draw with Sunderland at Anfield last Saturday.
Stewart Downing, Charlie Adam, Jordan Henderson and Jose Enrique all made their Premier League debuts for Liverpool in the draw, but did not have critics raving.
After a controversial, late draw at Emirates Stadium in April, a first three points at Arsenal in the 12th attempt would therefore give a significant indication of the new era under Dalglish.
Jack Wilshere is set to miss the game and is 50-50 for Wednesday night's Champions League return in Udinese.
Wilshere was on Thursday still undergoing treatment on his troublesome ankle injury, which it was originally hoped would clear up in time for last weekend's opener at Newcastle.

That game cost Wenger two more players, with new striker Gervinho sent off and midfielder Alex Song punished in retrospect with both starting three-match bans on Saturday.
The Udinese game saw Kieran Gibbs and substitute Johan Djourou both limp off with hamstring strains, joining Wilshere, Abou Diaby and Armand Traore on the sidelines.
That could force Wenger to hand summer signing Carl Jenkinson his Premier League debut against Liverpool in the unfamiliar position of left-back.
Defender Glen Johnson is an injury doubt for Liverpool, while captain Steven Gerrard continues his recovery from his groin problem.
England full-back Johnson missed last week's opening match with a hamstring injury and manager Dalglish rates him as his only doubt for the trip to London.
Dalglish may opt to make changes, with Martin Kelly and Dirk Kuyt pushing for the staring places of John Flanagan and Henderson.
Possible starting XIs:[/h]Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen, Koscielny, Jenkinson, Walcott, Ramsey, Wilshere, Rosicky, Chamakh, Van Persie.
Liverpool: Reina, Kelly, Agger, Carragher, Enrique, Lucas, Adam, Kuyt, Downing, Suarez, Carroll.

Thoughts?

Feeling surprisingly optimistic about this, if ever there were a time for us to win at the Emirates; it's now with Arsenal's injury problems, losing their captain, suspensions etc.

Going for a Liverpool 2-0 win

Suarez to bang in both

Wouldn't Arsenal off. 2008-09 they had similar problems. Few players were injured and we traveled to Emirates and lost 2-1. Both played superb game but Arsenal raised to the occasion.

This was the team: Almunia, Sagna, Gallas, Silvestre, Clichy, Walcott , Fabregas, Denilson, Nasri, Diaby , Bendtner. (Players in bold are not good enough maybe bar Diaby but that day Arsenal game was just superb).

Hoping for exciting open game. 2-1 to Arsenal as players will be out there to prove they are good enough. No bigger motivation than being written off.

wow, early kickoff, have to wake up at 5.30am to watch this match :O

anyway. dont write us off easily. :P

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen (VC), Koscielny, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Frimphog,Walcott, Rosicky, Arshavin, Van Persie (C)

wow, early kickoff, have to wake up at 5.30am to watch this match :O

anyway. dont write us off easily. :P

Arsenal: Szczesny, Sagna, Vermaelen (VC), Koscielny, Jenkinson, Ramsey, Frimphog,Walcott, Rosicky, Arshavin, Van Persie (C)

Rosicky isn't playing I believe.

Oh noone's writing Le **** off, just saying we don't normally do too well against Arsenal, this looks like it'll be our best chance for a while.

My team...

Reina
Kelly-Carragher-Agger (he'll be key)-Enrique
----------Lucas----Adam----------------
Kuyt-----------------------------------Downing
---------Carroll----------Suarez

My Prediction - Arsenal 1-2 Liverpool (Robin Van Persie, Suarez,Carroll)

Hoping for a draw here, and to see a bit of Miyachi. Would be suprised if we can pull off a win, with liverpool strengthening so much and us being totally depleted.

I have faith

1-0 Arsenal

My team would be
Szczesny

Sagna Koscielny Vermalen Jenkinson

Frimpong Ramsey

Arshavin Van Persie Walcott

Chamakh​

2-1 Arsenal. RVP to show why he's so important

I Think we will win by a one goal margin or a draw. Arsenal can still pose a threat and we saw that in midweek but I believe If Suarez plays his best, Carra stops hoofing the ball up to Carroll, Kuyt Starts we might just nick this.

My Team: Reina,Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel/Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Adam, Downing, Kuyt, Suarez, Carroll

I Think we will win by a one goal margin or a draw. Arsenal can still pose a threat and we saw that in midweek but I believe If Suarez plays his best, Carra stops hoofing the ball up to Carroll, Kuyt Starts we might just nick this.

My Team: Reina,Kelly, Carragher, Skrtel/Agger, Enrique, Lucas, Adam, Downing, Kuyt, Suarez, Carroll

That's why Adam starting is key, he needs to go and get the ball off Carragher like Alonso used to, we all know Carragher's passing is not brilliant, he won't take any chances, so if no one comes to get it off him, he'll hoof it.

Poll pl0x. Going for the Arsenal win and Van Persie scoring just so at least I will have some pride if Van Persie ends up scoring after switching him off my Fantasy team...

I'd play - Reina; Kelly Agger Carragher Enrique; Kuyt Lucas Adam Downing; Suarez Carroll.

I fancy a solid Liverpool win tomorrow. 2-0 - take advantage of a weakened Arsenal while you can.

Scorers - Suarez and Downing. I have a feeling there will be a red card in the game.

Last edited:
I believe we are capable of getting at least a draw tomorrow.

My team would up

Szczesny

Ramsey Frimpong

Chamakh​

I believe we are capable of getting at least a draw tomorrow.

My team would up

Szczesny

Ramsey Frimpong

Chamakh​

just like my team :)

Bias aside guys good luck to both sides. Whats this thing about the groundsharing with Everton????

Not going to be an easy game by any stretch, Kos and Vermaelen are going to have to watch Carroll and Suarez very carefully and no doubt Jenkinson will be targeted alot. Still reckon our guys will step up when it's needed and we'll pull out a win or a draw at the very least.
Szczesny
Sagna - Koscielny - Vermaelen - Jenkinson
Frimpong - Ramsey
Walcott - Arshavin/Nasri - Nasri/Arshavin/Miyaichi
van Persie
2-1 win with Ramsey and Suarez scoring before RVP bangs one in with 5 minutes left.

Back