Arsenal - Liverpool 20/08/11 12:45

Aquilani is far the better player than Henderson on every level, Kuyt would stay wide right and centrally there would be a midfield of Lucas/Adam/Aquilani.

And you can only judge Adam on his displays so far, Aquilani hasn't played a PL game in a year+ so you can hardly say starting Adam over Aquilani if it came to it is justified.

What has Aquilani done wrong exactly?

He performed well in pre season and internationally...Every time he has played he has stepped up and delivered, nothing else he can do to be honest.

You'd have to ask Kenny - I'm sure he knows - he sees & talks to the players on a day to day basis. I don't know ....attitude ? Desire to play for the shirt ?

Another frustrating performance from us. No doubt that the first goal was offside, dont buy all this benefit of the doubt bullshit, end of the day hes offside, huge slice of fortune in that goal. Having said that I don't think we would have lasted the rest of the game without conceding.

Thomas Vermalen was sensational today, could of been alot worse without him. Doesn't help with Kos being taking off so early but hopefully just a back spasm and he'll be back for the mid week game at Utd. Walcott frustrating again today, gets the ball to feet and refuses to use his pace to drive forward, have a go yourself dont always look for the cross. Szceney played will not much you can do about either goal.

Cant see us getting anything at OT with the depleted squad and a mid week game in Italy, have to be a very good Arsenal performance to get something there but you never know. Hopefully a wake up call for Wenger today, we need to spend some cash. that is all.

You'd have to ask Kenny - I'm sure he knows - he sees & talks to the players on a day to day basis. I don't know ....attitude ? Desire to play for the shirt ?

Except his attitude towards the club has been superb, and he frequently stated he wants to play for liverpool

Verms was top class oh how we missed him last year

Sagna<3 As usual excellent game

Woj kept us level with a string of great saves

Jenks Did well

Frimpong was excellent

Anyway it's all fairly pointless discussing Aquilani, looking like Galliani has finally sorted out his priorities.

Meeting with Zavaglia on Monday/Tuesday in Milan to talk about it, looks like Alberto's Liverpool **** will be over.

Meireles impressed when he came on as well, how he feels about being pushed out centrally by Henderson I really don't know.

My main beef with team selection isn't Adam/Kuyt it's Henderson, how he pushes Meireles/Aquilani out of the team I don't know.

I agree with you about Henderson; I think he's still yet to wake up & realise he's playing for LFC. I think Kenny should just let him look at how the settled players operate within the team playing system & learn how he's expected to fit in. He's raw atm & other players should be playing ahead of him. I hope KK doesn't feel oblidged to play him because of his price tag.

Verms was top class oh how we missed him last year

Sagna<3 As usual excellent game

Woj kept us level with a string of great saves

Jenks Did well

Frimpong was excellent

Tackle was awful though.

Haven't bothered reading the entire thread, too many posts for me to be bothered to go through, but these are just my general thoughts of the game:

Both teams were *****, Liverpool were just better on the day. Was an awful match to watch, almost fell asleep.
Frimpong's red was so predictable from the minute he got the first, called that so early it's unreal. His 2nd challenge was so amateur.
Vermaelen was an absolute animal, Man of the Match by a country mile.
1st goal definitely shouldn't have counted, but meh, that's what happens when you invite pressure, the officials are going to make wrong decisions.

If anybody's judging our season from this game then you need a brain test.

Haven't bothered reading the entire thread, too many posts for me to be bothered to go through, but these are just my general thoughts of the game:

Both teams were *****, Liverpool were just better on the day. Was an awful match to watch, almost fell asleep.
Frimpong's red was so predictable from the minute he got the first, called that so early it's unreal. His 2nd challenge was so amateur.
Vermaelen was an absolute animal, Man of the Match by a country mile.
1st goal definitely shouldn't have counted, but meh, that's what happens when you invite pressure, the officials are going to make wrong decisions.

If anybody's judging our season from this game then you need a brain test.

Frimpong was done in by his own inexperience, was too eager to rush into that challenge and let Liverpool take control of the game after he was sent-off... well there is no going further down for this Arsenal team their ability will make sure of it as I doubt they can perform more badly t han they did today, they will only get better and better as the season progresses and their youngsters settle down a bit but they got a real test coming up against Udinese away and at OT against the Red Devils, hardly the matches to provide you with a confidence booster

What a dreary game of football. Alf and I were absolutely bored beyond belief. Arsenal's passing was shocking, and neither side looked comfortable on the ball for me.

Vermaelen was the best player on the pitch admittedly. He dealt with Carroll extremely well. Nasri was at fault for the second goal, by failing to track Meireles completely. That said, he looked disinterested throughout the game when he was off the ball. He only looked eager on the two occasions he had the ball at his own feet.

Both teams played poorly, which is understandable, Arsenal didn't have a full team due to injuries and had to stick players in who hadn't even played in the EPL before on the pitch and bench. Liverpool haven't fully gelled as a team yet, so it wasn't going to be an exciting game.

But overall, we did play better and maybe did deserve the win.

Back